• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Spring Man and Decidueye aren't even the most obvious picks, they both have timing against them. Idk what you guys are talking about when you say they were "obvious"

Obvious would be Bandana Dee or Isabelle imo
Bandana Dee is far from obvious. Isabelle yes. She's pretty obvious.

Decidueye's game came out in late 2016. They were announced in Feb 2016. Any Gen 7 Pokemon is by far a stretch considering Sakurai started worked on Smash Switch in Early 2016. He'd have had access to any Gen 7 he wanted by that time.

Arms is more unlikely because of timing however.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Good attempt for a fake leak. Animations are pretty stiff but that's super common for character PSAs and you can't really do better unless you can do better so it's kind of a moot point.

Nitpicks: I would have chosen less "safe" characters for the leak. Even if Spring Man and Decidueye won't actually happen (Spring Man likely being too late) they're still the characters most people expect. If I we're going to make a fake leak I'd choose characters people wouldn't expect as it gives it more believability for just how Nintendo works.

Not a fan of the font they choose for the UI, honestly. Kinda ugly.

The video appears to be pre-rendered while the rest of the images I believe are modded Sm4sh (literally all of those exist as mods...) with photoshopped UI. It feels a little inconsistent.

The Ice Climbers being completely untouched from Brawl and/or the modded Sm4sh one also feels super out of place. Same with the Odyssey Mario mod.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The most telling thing about #TeamFake isn't even any flaws or things we've nitpicked.

It's that Nintendo hasn't snatched this down already.

Chrono.

The most telling thing about #TeamFake isn't even any flaws or things we've nitpicked.

It's that Nintendo hasn't snatched this down already.
Isn't it just on 4chan? Not much they can do there.

Unless they did take action on the ESRB leaks all those years ago.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bandana Dee is far from obvious. Isabelle yes. She's pretty obvious.

Decidueye's game came out in late 2016. They were announced in Feb 2016. Any Gen 7 Pokemon is by far a stretch considering Sakurai started worked on Smash Switch in Early 2016. He'd have had access to any Gen 7 he wanted by that time.

Arms is more unlikely because of timing however.
I should have been more specific. I think Decidueye isn't the most obvious character because there's like 5 more pokemon that are equally valid as him. Spring Man is more of the timing issue, so I lumped both into that.

Also, I'd say Bandana Dee is more obvious than Decidueye and Spring Man at least, it might be bias that makes you think otherwise, lol

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Isn't it just on 4chan? Not much they can do there.

Unless they did take action on the ESRB leaks all those years ago.
Our good pal Fuzzy Pickles posted it to their youtube channel, and Nintendo hasn't done anything about that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo can take action on any of their actual property leaking out anywhere on the internet. It doesn't matter where.

I could very well have a photo of character models and art work for the select screen right now and start posting them and Nintendo could sue my ass.

It doesn't matter that this is just some random message board in a corner of the internet.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Another thing I'm taking a look at is the stage itself.

Its not a rip. Its been heavily modified. The center has been shrunk. The void has been added. And look at the stadium stairwell in the crowd in the center. In the left it hooks down and you see 7 hooks, while the one of the right only has 3.

Heres a zoomed in image to show the stairwell doesnt wrap under the stage like it does in the left. Also notice the crowds sections have dividers in them in the image to the right, while the one in Smash is not divided this way. Also the sprites in the crowd are in different locations

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So 6 pages and this leak is still undetermined to be real or fake. So far so good this season.

If this is truly a snippet beta version, wonder what the finished one will look like.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So 6 pages and this leak is still undetermined to be real or fake. So far so good this season.

If this is truly a snippet beta version, wonder what the finished one will look like.
If fake it just shows fakers are getting smarter and putting more effort into it. If fake I have a feeling Smashified is behind this since the models are original and made in an art style that matches Smash

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Decidueye is pretty cool. But I'm not feeling an ARMS rep. I couldn't get into the game which reflects my attitude towards an ARMS character. I wouldn't mind an Assist Trophy.

For the leak itself, I'm not 100% convinced yet. If it's real, I hope they work on that idle animation more.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Spring Man and Decidueye aren't even the most obvious picks, they both have timing against them. Idk what you guys are talking about when you say they were "obvious"

Obvious would be Bandana Dee or Isabelle imo
While Bandana Dee and Isabelle are obvious, I think Decidueye and Spring Man even more "obvious".
Spring Man is the most obvious character ATM. There's no time-problem thing.
If Sakurai start developing Greninja when he was a nameless concept/Pokemon to the next game, he would know about ARMS. Nintendo is pushing this game forward and he will happen. If he end up not in the launch roster (and I think he will), then a DLC.
Decidueye is by a reasonable ammount the most popular pick for Sun/Moon.

Animal Crossing is not certain to gain a newcomer. If there's one, there's also T.Nook to consider. Bandana Dee is the next Kirby character but maybe Kirby receives no newcomer. Don't forget Star Fox lost a character,Dk received none last time...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I should have been more specific. I think Decidueye isn't the most obvious character because there's like 5 more pokemon that are equally valid as him. Spring Man is more of the timing issue, so I lumped both into that.

Also, I'd say Bandana Dee is more obvious than Decidueye and Spring Man at least, it might be bias that makes you think otherwise, lol
While I agree there are Pokémon that are as valid as Decidueye, generally he is the most popular Gen 7 choice and is considered the 'shoo-in' Gen 7 Pokémon for the Smash fandom as a whole. It doesn't really matter if there's five other options if said five options are relatively ignored in Smash speculation, and whenever it comes to 'top 10 most likely characters list' or 'roster predictions', he tends to be the one that people pick. He's about as obvious of a Pokémon choice as you can get from the franchise at this point.

As for ARMs, while the belief of it being too late to get in is starting to spread, it's still not widely held information and it's not uncommon for fans to consider Spring-Man a shoo-in due to the status that ARMs carries as a new popular IP. Hell, even in places where that belief is held, a lot of people still feel ARMs will be the exception due to that status and what happened with Greninja.

If someone was trying to make a fake leak to get 15 minutes of fame, both of them would be valid choices to get attention. You would get a lot of fans talking if you put in Decidueye and Spring-Man over say, Dillon.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I fully believe that this is fake to the point of not even worth considering. Yes, it uses a ton of custom stuff and the stage built mostly from the ground up but nothing unheard of, especially for modding Sm4sh (which could be used for renders as well.)

If it was real they absolutely would have shown more than that. At least a whole match, any interaction between the characters at all at least.

It is very impressive, though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I fully believe that this is fake to the point of not even worth considering. Yes, it uses a ton of custom stuff and the stage built mostly from the ground up but nothing unheard of, especially for modding Sm4sh (which could be used for renders as well.)

If it was real they absolutely would have shown more than that. At least a whole match, any interaction between the characters at all at least.

It is very impressive, though.
The ESRB Leaks didn't show much of anything at all.

They were real.

I'm just saying don't write something off just because it doesn't show the whole farm. This is how people were fooled into thinking the ESRB leak was fake.

And so far everything that has happened here has been similar to that leak. Nitpicking. Someone saying someone is simply Little Mac reskinned. Trying to find the source of models but coming up dry, etc, etc.

I'm not on either team at the moment, but just be mindful of this.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
The ESRB Leaks didn't show much of anything at all.

They were real.

I'm just saying don't right something off just because it doesn't show the whole farm. This is how people were fooled into thinking the ESRB leak was fake. And so far everything that has happened here has been similar to that leak. Nitpicking. Someone saying someone is simply Little Mac reskinned. Trying to find the source of models but coming up dry, etc, etc.

I'm not on either team at the moment, but just be mindful of this.
The ESRB leaks showed a ton. It was the whole CSS, stages, and near an entire match (Bowser Jr. vs Marth?) iirc.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Decidueye is pretty cool. But I'm not feeling an ARMS rep. I couldn't get into the game which reflects my attitude towards an ARMS character. I wouldn't mind an Assist Trophy.

For the leak itself, I'm not 100% convinced yet. If it's real, I hope they work on that idle animation more.
I mean whether you like it or not it’s a new nintendo fighting IP, I can’t think of a better rep for smash

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
While I agree there are Pokémon that are as valid as Decidueye, generally he is the most popular Gen 7 choice and is considered the 'shoo-in' Gen 7 Pokémon for the Smash fandom as a whole. It doesn't really matter if there's five other options if said five options are relatively ignored in Smash speculation, and whenever it comes to 'top 10 most likely characters list' or 'roster predictions', he tends to be the one that people pick. He's about as obvious of a Pokémon choice as you can get from the franchise at this point.
I don't think Sakurai cares about what Pokemon the Smash fandom wants, otherwise Mewtwo would have been in the base Smash 4 roster. He just looks at what he think could have a cool moveset and what's popular so characters like Mimikyu, Rowlet, and the Ultra Beasts are on the same level, if not above Decidueye.

Granted I still prefer Decidueye over them.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Speaking of the ESRB leak, I remember people who thought Shulk was gonna be a clone of Marth purely because the first half of his Up Special looked like Dolphin Slash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if there's anyone even working at Nintendo since it's the weekend. Surely with a company of that size though there's gotta be someone out there looking for copyrighted content at all times.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think Sakurai cares about what Pokemon the Smash fandom wants, otherwise Mewtwo would have been in the base Smash 4 roster. He just looks at what he think could have a cool moveset and what's popular so characters like Mimikyu, Rowlet, and the Ultra Beasts are on the same level, if not above Decidueye.

Granted I still prefer Decidueye over them.
You missed the point of my post. I didn't say anything about Sakurai picking Decidueye because he's the most popular in the Smash fandom, I said that Decidueye is seen as the go-to choice for the Smash fandom itself as he's by far the most popular Alolan Pokémon among them. That's what going to make him appealing to fake leaks as they respond to the trends of the fandom, characters like Dillon are not going to commonly show up on leaks compared to him as the character doesn't get nearly as much buzz.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The ESRB leaks showed a ton. It was the whole CSS, stages, and near an entire match (Bowser Jr. vs Marth?) iirc.
Eventually. For the first day the only video that was out publicly was a match instantly ending and then cutting to the victory screen with Shulk's win pose, which conveniently cut out before the announcer could shout his name. It was highly suspicious at the time because whoever leaked it had cut the clip at exactly the most difficult part to fake.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know the more I look at it, the more I begin to debate whether or not it’s real. Honestly there are so many convincing aspects that drive it towards being real.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
People on the 4chan thread asked the leaker to post more, and all they got was radio silence (for reference's sake, when people asked the ESRB leaker to post more, he did).

Not saying it has any effect on the legitimacy of this leak one way or the other, just food for thought.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think by obvious they mean what people are speculating on forums/social media.

Spring Man and Decidueye pop up so often in these prediction/want rosters in those mediums.
Spring Man is understandable if you're looking for a character to represent a new series.

In regards to Decidueye, however, as far as I know, it's primarily wanted because of its playable appearance in Pokken Tournament DX, it's the newest fully evolved Grass-type starter Pokemon, and Smash Bros. lacks any fighters who focus exclusively on archery.

While the idea of an archery fighter is there, it should also be noted that the 7th generation introduces the Ultra Beasts and their Beast Boost ability, which also has potential.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I want another entire CSS leaked just to see the absolute carnage.

Shortest Smash speculation period ever.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Now that I'm home and can see the video for myself, I think people have exaggerated how bad Spring Man's animation is. I don't like the animation aesthetically, mind you, but technically I don't see any huge glaring flaws that are common in a lot of mods. There's actually some nice follow-through on the hands, that's the kind of stuff a lot of amateur animators completely overlook. I don't like that he doesn't seem to have a proper landing animation, though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
People on the 4chan thread asked the leaker to post more, and all they got was radio silence (for reference's sake, when people asked the ESRB leaker to post more, he did).

Not saying it has any effect on the legitimacy of this leak one way or the other, just food for thought.
To be fair. If he's a tester or any kind of similar job? He more than likely isn't going to have every bit of info or character. At least that's always been my understanding of how that works.

I don't know why these leaks always happen on 4chan anyways. Why is it everyone leaks there fake or real? Lol.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To be fair. If he's a tester or any kind of similar job? He more than likely isn't going to have every bit of info or character. At least that's always been my understanding of how that works.

I don't know why these leaks always happen on 4chan anyways. Why is it everyone leaks there fake or real? Lol.
Yeah, that's true. Just mentioning it for the sake of conversation.

And your guess is as good as mine. Maybe people think 4chan is just some place that game devs can't possibly ever look at.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can someone tell me why Isabelle is even likely? Like she just doesn't seem necessary when Villager is another one of those characters that covers the whole franchise on his own.
I agree. But, the reason she's considered likely is because she's a very popular and promoted Nintendo character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom