• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The difference for me is that Mac is literally not an air fighter, so his aireals are kinda meant to look a little off.

Spring Man isn't a character I can see having that issue considering jumping is a big part of ARMS.
Never played ARMS, so pardon my ignorance, but can they attack backwards? Could be a nod to how they are better when facing the opponent?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah no all of the models in the video at least are original, as for the one with Mario and Ice Climbers... Ice Climbers may be original but Mario looks ripped straight out of Odyssey.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Never played ARMS, so pardon my ignorance, but can they attack backwards? Could be a nod to how they are better when facing the opponent?
Matches always have you facing the front, so you can never attack from behind at any point. This is also the case for your opponent.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What if Spring Man could manually extend his arms the longer you hold the button? In the leak, he only did a short back-air.

I think we do not know much about Spring Man's back-air to confirm anything fake or certain about his mechanics.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Arms is played from a behind the back perspective, and the camera is always locked so that your opponent is already directly in front of you, and even if the opponent moves fast enough to get out of that lock, the camera will just immediately readjust itself.

TL;DR No, there is not a way to attack backwards in ARMS.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You never turn away from your opponent in ARMS, so I suppose in that regard it would make sense. Bit of a stretch of logic in my own opinion though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You never turn away from your opponent in ARMS, so I suppose in that regard it would make sense. Bit of a stretch of logic in my own opinion though.
It's ARMS. Everything in it is a stretch. :awesome:

Anyway, duly noted on the localization stuff. I know we've had last minute additions before. My only theory otherwise is Spring Man is a Wolf-style clone(moveset-wise) of Little Mac, which would explain the back air.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There's no backwards attacks, mainly because the camera is always fixed onto the opponent. The closest you can do is change your targeted opponent during a 3 or 4 player match, and strike them when they're behind you.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
But look.
Decidueye looks way too much like its Pokken self as Opossum stated. Look at the icons on the Pokken and on the leak of Decidueye.
So this leak should be written off.
Except its not from Pokken though

From left to right: Leak, Pokken, Smash Wii U mod, Sun Moon.

The X shaped crest on the leak wraps much further than the one from Pokken, and even touches the spots on his wings. In fact the spots on the wings are placed differently. The green feathers on the Pokken model are much more pointy, and more rounded on the leak Decidueye. And while its hard to see, the face in the icon on the left is different than from Pokken, mainly the eyes. Also the color pallet matches sun and moon more, and is more smooth textures instead of ruffles in the feathers.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's ARMS. Everything in it is a stretch. :awesome:

Anyway, duly noted on the localization stuff. I know we've had last minute additions before. My only theory otherwise is Spring Man is a Wolf-style clone(moveset-wise) of Little Mac, which would explain the back air.
I personally subscribe to the theory that Spring Man was added really late into this Smash's development due to the timeframe of ARMS' release, so that's why his animations look choppy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I personally subscribe to the theory that Spring Man was added really late into this Smash's development due to the timeframe of ARMS' release, so that's why his animations look choppy.
Mine went hand in hand with that. As that's how Wolf got in.

But yeah, it makes perfect sense for him to be a late addition due to when development of Smash Switch started.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Don’t know if it’s just me but does anyone else think the font looks a little off?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I ain't sayin this leak is real just yet, because it's when you get confident that you're proven wrong, but the odds are kiiiiiiiiiinda stacking towards it right now. Just a little bit.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
My only hope is that Spring Man if this is real doesn't do what Sonic did to Brawl and get people cut.

Hoping not since you know Sakurai has had two years to work on a bunch of newcomers hopefully.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Whether this leak is real, Springman and Decidueye look like they belong in Smash.
This I can agree with.

Regardless of whether or not the leak is real, it just made me desire Springman and Decidueye even more than before.

There is a hunger for new characters deep inside my bones.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I only want Spring Man to represent Arms, but if I had a choice? I'd pick literally any of the other Arms fighters.

Because he's honestly the most boring main character I've ever seen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smashified makes models instead of static imagery now, stands to reason someone of similar talent could do the same. These are crazy days we live in.

Boi, if Springman ends up being a late addition akin to Sonic in Brawl, Morbi is gonna be maaaaaaaad with how unfinished Spring Man is in that leak.
But now they have the luxury of DLC, and Spring-Man seems a desired enough character to make sense as standalone content. Doubt it’ll be an issue.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I only want Spring Man to represent Arms, but if I had a choice? I'd pick literally any of the other Arms fighters.

I think his design is cool, but yes the arms cast is full of characters that would fit right in smash
Twintelle, Mechanica, Ninjara, etc

It’s one series I would love to have more than one rep for

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I tried to refute that point but any other example was so bland that I can't find enough features about them to retrieve from my brain.

Though from what little I can piece together, they were all silent or quiet RPG protagonists.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's just his design compared to literally everyone else in that series.

He's just really really bland. Even Spring Girl who has a sort of bland appearance has things that make her seem more intriguing like the whole pop star thing.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Smashified makes models instead of static imagery now, stands to reason someone of similar talent could do the same. These are crazy days we live in.

But now they have the luxury of DLC, and Spring-Man seems a desired enough character to make sense as standalone content. Doubt it’ll be an issue.
This very well could be Smashified. They haven't made a character in a while it possible this is their work. If theres one thing I'm certain of, its that these models are not direct rips and are made from the ground up (or at least modified.) These were not just slapped together using wii u skin ripping software and called a day. The animations are completely original too. A LOT of effort and attention to detail was put into that video if you did into it.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

I think there are many more generic and uninspired designs than spring man in the video game industry.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's just his design compared to literally everyone else in that series.

He's just really really bland. Even Spring Girl who has a sort of bland appearance has things that make her seem more intriguing like the whole pop star thing.
He's a character for starters who's design is meant to represent the most basic concept of the game. Characters with arms like springs.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Spring Man would be helped a lot more if ARMS had more story outside of Biff's blurbs and random arts.

Though given how he's the archetype of a tournament anime protagonist (from what we can tell), it may entirely consist of him playing ARMS-Getter for hours to catch 'em all and being oblivious to females dropping hints at him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My only hope is that Spring Man if this is real doesn't do what Sonic did to Brawl and get people cut.

Hoping not since you know Sakurai has had two years to work on a bunch of newcomers hopefully.
The worst that could get cut due to Spring Man's addition is clones. I think most unique newcomers, minus maybe Mewtwo or Jigglypuff, will return for Smash Switch.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I think there are many more generic and uninspired designs than spring man in the video game industry.
Compared to those guys, Spring Man's design is actually pretty good.

However, compared to these guys:

I can't help but feel like Spring Man's design falls a bit short.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

To be fair a sizable amount of these men may look the same but some of them have some very fleshed out personalities that make them very very interesting. Like Nathan Drake especially being on this image is a ****ing crime. He's got one of the most lively personalities in gaming.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Spring Man would be helped a lot more if ARMS had more story outside of Biff's blurbs and random arts.

Though given how he's the archetype of a tournament anime protagonist (from what we can tell), it may entirely consist of him playing ARMS-Getter for hours to catch 'em all and being oblivious to females dropping hints at him.
He's basically a hot blooded jock.

He loves pizza though so he automatically gets a pass.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

I actually agree with this as well, but every new series always adds its main character before any others. The exceptions being some of the series that don't have a standard "main character".

He's a character for starters who's design is meant to represent the most basic concept of the game. Characters with arms like springs.
I still a little miffed that we never got a character with accordions for arms. I would have loved that.

The worst that could get cut due to Spring Man's addition is clones. I think most unique newcomers, minus maybe Mewtwo or Jigglypuff, will return for Smash Switch.
Out of curiosity, why do people always say that Jigglypuff is going to be cut?

I've just never understood the reasoning for thinking that way. Jiggs has been going strong in Smash for the past 19 years at this point, why would she be cut now?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
This is why I think the pictures could be fake, but the video isn't. But good point, too.
One important thing I would like to point out about that b-air that Spring Man does has no key framing obviously. The animation has no indication of weight or power behind it cause he is literally swinging his body all the way through without and wind up or clear end point. It's not professional at all and is really quite amateur.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Compared to those guys, Spring Man's design is actually pretty good.

However, compared to these guys:

I can't help but feel like Spring Man's design falls a bit short.

No I agree, we might as well add every female ARMS character in smash as they have the best designs.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Anyone else notice that the coils jiggle and appear to have depth in Spring Man's movement? Something like that isn't from the ability of an amateur modder.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Out of curiosity, why do people always say that Jigglypuff is going to be cut?

I've just never understood the reasoning for thinking that way. Jiggs has been going strong in Smash for the past 19 years at this point, why would she be cut now?
To be clear, we're under the impression she's been nearly cut more than once due to datamines of the games and such. So people think she could be cut. I don't know why people think it's likely to happen, though. It's a possibility, but doesn't seem that high. Especially when you consider how easy she is to remake and how popular she is. There's little reason to do so.

One important thing I would like to point out about that b-air that Spring Man does has no key framing obviously. The animation has no indication of weight or power behind it cause he is literally swinging his body all the way through without and wind up or clear end point. It's not professional at all and is really quite amateur.
While I do work on games, I haven't gotten far into programming. Interesting to note.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Honestly if she wasn't post game DLC I think this character would be the best pick to rep ARMS.

Her design is extremely unique and her in game abilities translate well into Smash along side the basic mechanics of ARMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom