• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion incoming. BNHA is really good, but is pretty overrated.
It's the best new Shonen in quite a while.

Especially in relation to the old "Big Three": Bleach and Naruto are series that are full of wasted potential (began super strong and ended on massive low notes) and One Piece is consistently good (it is the best selling manga and frequently tops Shonen Jump's weekly charts for a reason) but is also a monumental behemoth that deters newcomers from getting into it.

My Hero Academia is everything Naruto wanted to be, capitalises on it's potential, and is new enough that newbies can get into it. Not to mention that it's anime is incredibly well made (unlike modern One Piece and early Dragon Ball Super, thanks Toei).

beans

Smash Lord

Especially in relation to the old "Big Three": Bleach and Naruto are series that are full of wasted potential (began super strong and ended on massive low notes) and One Piece is consistently good (it is the best selling manga and frequently tops Shonen Jump's weekly charts for a reason) but is also a monumental behemoth that deters newcomers from getting into it.

My Hero Academia is everything Naruto wanted to be, capitalises on it's potential, and is new enough that newbies can get into it. Not to mention that it's anime is incredibly well made (unlike modern One Piece and early Dragon Ball Super, thanks Toei).
Just you wait for the Dr Stone anime. I am mad scientist IN DA STONE AGE

D

Deleted member

Late ofc but...
Seems like Gamestop will give Smash analog caps when you pre order
I'd trade it for a decent discount on pro controllers instead.

Just you wait for the Dr Stone anime. I am mad scientist IN DA STONE AGE
The real wait will be the The Promised Neverland

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

MHA also has something that previous Shinens didn't know how to do(and, alongside Black Clover, it seems to be the new standard): fast pacing.
We're on Chapter 203 right now and there have been 10 arcs completed(counting the entirety of season 1 as one arc as it's way too short tbh).
Naruto, at this point in its run, was on the Sasuke Retrieval Arc which was just its 5th arc.

This not only means the story never feels dragged out(even during its biggest arc) and allows it to flow much better when adapted due to the new seasonal format anime has taken. And also, no fillers. Who remembers 100 ****ing episodes of filler? Because I sure wish I didn't.

D

Deleted member

Seeing your favorite pokemon getting some recognition for once. Must be nice.

Smeargle fan here. It’s not the worst life, but it feels like other people are always forgetting about him.

beans

Smash Lord
I'd trade it for a decent discount on pro controllers instead.

The real wait will be the The Promised Neverland
Dude, The Promissed Neverland is coming, like, in this January if im not mistaken.
Really surprised that someone took a look at the shouned jump catalog and took The Promissed Neverland over Dr Stone but Im not complaining.

MHA also has something that previous Shinens didn't know how to do(and, alongside Black Clover, it seems to be the new standard): fast pacing.
We're on Chapter 203 right now and there have been 10 arcs completed(counting the entirety of season 1 as one arc as it's way too short tbh).
Naruto, at this point in its run, was on the Sasuke Retrieval Arc which was just its 5th arc.

This not only means the story never feels dragged out(even during its biggest arc) and allows it to flow much better when adapted due to the new seasonal format anime has taken. And also, no fillers. Who remembers 100 ****ing episodes of filler? Because I sure wish I didn't.
Daily Reminder: around half of Naruto anime is filler.

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I thought watching the Smash tournaments Nintendo hosted and seeing players stop fighting just to deal with hazards would have been enough for people to realize why competitive play selects only stages without distractions. It's boring, ruins the pacing if the fight and is just not what competitive play is about.
Maybe, but I still want to fight on Char with zerg flooding in from one side while seige tanks fire from the background.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Literally nobody (except Kirby) could've escaped Galeem's light. Sakurai stated that Galeem's light also turned Bayonetta's enemies from Purgatorio into spirits, meaning its light had to traverse into another realm, somehow (Sakurai didn't say it went through a portal or whatever), so it's likely that this is the same for all worlds/dimensions/realms. The only reason Kirby survived is because the Warp Star can defy the laws of physics (***pull), which probably meant go FTL (as if other characters haven't been able to do that, AS IF Kirby in WITHOUT the Warp Star haven't been able to do that).

This doesn't mean anything when talking about "Who's the strongest character canonically?" merely because the fighters aren't the original characters but toys made into fighters. Also, crossovers in general shouldn't be considered canon to any franchise, unless it has a genuine impact to the story.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Smeargle fan here. It’s not the worst life, but it feels like other people are always forgetting about him.
Trust me — go to Smogon. The one Pokémon who puts Mew to shame in terms of versatility is not going to be forgotten anytime soon.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know how Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers?

He should’ve mentioned that in regards to stages as well, cause frankly I hate how there’s more returning stages then new ones.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see so many Melee and Brawl stages return but the ones that were already in Smash 4? I could live without.

The only pre-existing series that got new stages were Mario & Zelda, go figure.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

He should’ve mentioned that in regards to stages as well, cause frankly I hate how there’s more returning stages then new ones.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see so many Melee and Brawl stages return but the ones that were already in Smash 4? I could live without.

We didn't even get Hanenbow 2.
**** this game.

D

Deleted member

MHA eh? I do like it ok enough, but people always talk about how well it uses tired tropes. I’d have to disagree on that. It does them competently imo. Bakugou for example is very much your standard rival character in a lot of ways, the tough rude guy who sometimes gets along well enough with protagonist to work together. I also feel like having the series be told by a future Deku kinda takes away from things a bit, cause it means we know he’s going to succeed, and it in no way adds anything imo. Same with
all might living. I think he should have just died instead. His presence doesn’t really mean much afterwards, and I feel like his death would have had more impact.
Animation is beautiful, I’ll give you that.
Note that I haven’t read the manga since the overhaul stuff finished up and haven’t seen any of season 3 at all.

This is getting VEEERY off-topic though. Back to smash, are there any leaks I missed while I was gone (last 20 hours or so) or otherwise interesting info?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Who seriously wanted 75M or Great Cave Offensive back? Or hell even Pac-Land?

Even among my most casual of casual friends I have don't like those stages.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
It's easy..
Go.. as Go
e... like A in may
mon.. like in Pokemon
Now repeat after me.. Go.e.mon.. Goemon
You're goood :D
Here's a star.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Personally, I’m most excited for the 3ds and 64 stages.
3DS especially, it has a super underrated stage list.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; double posting(please edit your messages instead)
MHA eh? I do like it ok enough, but people always talk about how well it uses tired tropes. I’d have to disagree on that. It does them competently imo. Bakugou for example is very much your standard rival character in a lot of ways, the tough rude guy who sometimes gets along well enough with protagonist to work together. I also feel like having the series be told by a future Deku kinda takes away from things a bit, cause it means we know he’s going to succeed, and it in no way adds anything imo. Same with
all might living. I think he should have just died instead. His presence doesn’t really mean much afterwards, and I feel like his death would have had more impact.
Animation is beautiful, I’ll give you that.
Note that I haven’t read the manga since the overhaul stuff finished up and haven’t seen any of season 3 at all.

This is getting VEEERY off-topic though. Back to smash, are there any leaks I missed while I was gone (last 20 hours or so) or otherwise interesting info?
Yeah, a pipe bursted in my basement and I can't fix it because I used all my duct tape to build a paper-mache Dedede statue. But that's just life, isn't it?

Personally, I’m most excited for the 3ds and 64 stages.
3DS especially, it has a super underrated stage list.
Smash 3DS low-key had better stages than Wii U.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the topic of MHA. Here's more pre-battle dialogue and post-battle dialogue of Bakugou in my ideal Super Smash Bros. vs. Jump Stars game.

Bakugou (Pre-Battle): You remind me of that damn nerd when he was quirkless. Lets see what you're made of coward! - To Luigi
Bakugou (Post-Battle): I never thought I would say this but even Deku has more potential then you! Do yourself a favor and stick to plumbing! - To Luigi

Bakugou (Pre-Battle): Aren't you too girly to even fight? Whatever if its a fight you want so be it then. - To Peach
Bakugou (Post-Battle): If I might make an suggestion how about never fighting again and stick to baking cakes or whatever girly stuff you do! - To Peach

Bakugou (Pre-Battle): This has to be some kind of joke right? If you think I'm gonna go easy on you, you're very mistaken! - To Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Olimar, Isabelle and Arale Norimaki
Bakugou (Post-Battle): As I figured...Pathetic! - To Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Olimar, Isabelle and Arale Norimaki

Bakugou (Pre-Battle): Huh...You kind of remind of me Kaminari if he was an animal... - To Pikachu
Bakugou (Post-Battle): I'll give you this. You do pack a lot of power for a little guy but you're still weak! - Pikachu

Bakugou (Pre-Battle): So were doing this again are we Deku? Let's see if you've gotten any stronger! - To Izuku Midoriya
Bakugou (Post-Battle): You still haven't improved one bit! Come back to me when you get stronger Deku! - To Izuku Midoriya

What do you guys think? Any suggestions to change or are they good enough?

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

It was good, but I got bored after the first season. It might’ve been me, but it felt like it was just “train for class, get attacked, repeat.” Not to mention the characters weren’t that interesting imo. But hey, everyone has their own opinion.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Who seriously wanted 75M or Great Cave Offensive back? Or hell even Pac-Land?

Even among my most casual of casual friends I have don't like those stages.
I can vouch for the enjoyment of GCO and PAC-Land. Both personally and among friends.

One of my favorite Smash moments actually comes from GCO too.

Not sure about 75m though.

KMDP

Smash Legend

MHA absolutely does have filler (even though it really shouldn't :laugh:)

Thankfully the filler is inoffensive.
If you combine the first season into one arc, then Bakugou was kidnapped at about the same point Sasuke defected in terms of Arc Number, the 5th.

Unlike Naruto, Deku actually succeeded in getting Bakugou back, and in 0.2% of the time (2 years vs. a Day and a half), not only that, but Bakugou wouldn't have defected anyway (anyone who thought he would have didn't understand Bakugou as a character).

Sasuke defecting made for a shocking twist, but actually hurt the story in the long run as Kishimoto tried to work out where to go from there.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So WayForward are teasing something, they say the librarian is missing something..
and they're joining the BloodStained team..
Huh!!
Mighty No.9 as DLC

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
So WayForward are teasing something, they say the librarian is missing something..
and they're joining the BloodStained team..
Huh!!
Mighty No.9 as DLC
>Mighty No. 9

Please, we already have megaman. He can go cry like weeb fan on prom night eating the low quality pizza

D

Deleted member

Dude, The Promissed Neverland is coming, like, in this January if im not mistaken.
Really surprised that someone took a look at the shouned jump catalog and took The Promissed Neverland over Dr Stone but Im not complaining.

Daily Reminder: around half of Naruto anime is filler.
Really? Oh sweet. Promised Neverland started a little before Dr. Stone. I have no doubt that it'll eventually get its own anime though. Man, the suspense involved in each episode of Promised Neverland should be insane if they do it right.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Late ofc but...
Seems like Gamestop will give Smash analog caps when you pre order
cool I guess

Tbf...that should’ve been expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom