• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I was referring specifically to chaingrabs and jab infinites that allow certain characters to simply walk you right off the stage with no chance for counter or recovery once the first move hits. Not a general disadvantage.
Chain grabs were specifically taken out of the series in Smash 4, and most jab infinites require the victim to be pinned between the attacking character and a solid wall.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Wait, so, if Galeem's laser, was able to turn characters such as Mipha, for example, into, spirits, even though she is, very much dead, and doesn't have a physical form, in which could be transformed into a spirit, does that mean, that Galeem's attack, stretched out across the whole of time itself?
I'm more impressed by the implication that Galeem managed to vaporize the freaking Absolutely Safe Capsule.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm more impressed by the implication that Galeem managed to vaporize the freaking Absolutely Safe Capsule.
I think the joke was that even though it vaporized the Absolutely Safe Capsule, Porky was still protected from becoming a Spirit and is hiding inside there like the coward he is.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Eh, I don’t think anime is bad. But it sure as heck is overrated.
This is a strange statement. How can an entire medium be "overrated?". It would be like saying cartoons are overrated, music is overrated, TV is overrated, and so on...

It's too broad to classify all as one thing.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
While it is true that being a good player is important, we should also learn to adapt ourselves to the way each stage plays, and not just throw anyone that doesn’t work the way we want them to do so.
A stage can't win a tournament. When a stage hazard is responsible for a kill, we can't count that as a win for the stage.
I understand that some may say, "well avoiding the obstacles proves the player's skill". Which is true in some instances, but you have to take in two factors.

1. Some stages are incredibly unbalanced and the hazards might as well be random

and 2. We in the competitive scene play smash as a fighting game. We want to see who has a better grasp on the fighting mechanics. We are not trying to see who the better platformer is. It is not the purpose of fighting in tourney. Stage hazards obviously cannot coexist in the competitive scene if our ultimate goal is to have a better grip on the fighting mechanics.

We all know the stages are fun, but they strip away fighting skill and add a luck factor. That's not even going into the issues on camping and all the other jank stuff that these stages have.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yep. Apparently, it reached both the afterlife and all periods of time and space as well. For the afterlife, Sakurai himself states that Hades and Medusa (both of whom are dead, mind you), were still killed by Galeem. Also in regards to time and space, the likes of Kaptain K. Rool is a Spirit.
My head-canon says that alternate Spirits of Fighter characters were originally from other dimensions and just happened to show up in the wrong place and time.

Either that, or they are actually Tulpas who were torn away from the original Being, hence Kaptain K.Rool being treated as a separate entity from King K. Rool.

This is a strange statement. How can an entire medium be "overrated?". It would be like saying cartoons are overrated, music is overrated, TV is overrated, and so on...

It's too broad to classify all as one thing.
C'mon Wyoming, everyone ****s on anime. Everyone! Even weebs do it!

Jokes aside, anime is over-hated if anything. It's the modern day Saleem Witch Trials whenever the medium is brought up.

Same
I also think people really tend to overhype Jojo. It’s a good series, though, don’t get me wrong
I'm waiting until people start whining about Goblin Slayer. It's definitely heading in a direction where the goblin-killing runs its course in comic gags.

D

Deleted member

Eh, aside from Marvel, John Wick, and Blade Runner 2049, I haven't been impressed with Cinema as a whole.
Wait until they make a good Fantastic Four movie at last.

A lot of the Fantastic Four comics aren’t just great or awesome, but they can include some wonderful panels that would look outstanding if done right in live action.

BC3AA7E5-469A-421B-BD9D-2EA446074A14.jpeg

9E94D26B-10E1-46B2-9D26-9EC23C485E76.jpeg

smashkirby

Smash Hero
My head-canon says that alternate Spirits of Fighter characters were originally from other dimensions and just happened to show up in the wrong place and time.

Either that, or they are actually Tulpas who were torn away from the original Being, hence Kaptain K.Rool being treated as a separate entity from King K. Rool.
Perosnally, I think it's a case of spacetime being engulfed by Galeem's attack as well.

In fact, has anyone seen the Goku Black arc of Dragon Ball Super and remembers its unfortunate ending? With all of reality (past, present, and future) being wiped clean of all life? I like to think THAT'S how severe Galeem's attack was.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
By the way, since the Absolutely safe capsule is a spirit, that means Galeem was able to destroy it someway, so I made this:

By the way this is the first time ever trying to draw Ness and Lucas... and Lucas's hair alone made me change the drawing concept like 4 times.
Do you think the reason there’s no Porky spirit is because Galeem couldn’t get him through the capsule, so instead it just took the whole thing?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A stage can't win a tournament. When a stage hazard is responsible for a kill, we can't count that as a win for the stage.
I understand that some may say, "well avoiding the obstacles proves the player's skill". Which is true in some instances, but you have to take in two factors.

1. Some stages are incredibly unbalanced and the hazards might as well be random

and 2. We in the competitive scene play smash as a fighting game. We want to see who has a better grasp on the fighting mechanics. We are not trying to see who the better platformer is. It is not the purpose of fighting in tourney. Stage hazards obviously cannot coexist in the competitive scene if our ultimate goal is to have a better grip on the fighting mechanics.

We all know the stages are fun, but they strip away fighting skill and add a luck factor. That's not even going into the issues on camping and all the other jank stuff that these stages have.
On the stages with predictable hazards, luck isn't really a factor. I will admit that there are definitely random hazards, such as the Arwings on Corneria; if you go into the air, whether or not you get shot in the face is partially a matter of chance (though they can be avoided by things like air-dodging, reflectors, or absorption). But for nonrandom hazards, claiming that avoiding them is a matter of luck just proves that you're not very experienced with the game.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
On the stages with predictable hazards, luck isn't really a factor. I will admit that there are definitely random hazards, such as the Arwings on Corneria; if you go into the air, whether or not you get shot in the face is partially a matter of chance (though they can be avoided by things like air-dodging, reflectors, or absorption). But for nonrandom hazards, claiming that avoiding them is a matter of luck just proves that you're not very experienced with the game.
Not for all of them obviously, I'm just saying that hazards are random at times. Regardless, hazards in general still make the player go out of their way to prove something that isn't really relevant to the end goal of a fighting game tournament

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
How come Smash has never had a Mario Party stage?
Something-something Sakurai has a deeply-rooted grudge against Camelot.

Perosnally, I think it's a case of spacetime being engulfed by Galeem's attack as well.

In fact, has anyone seen the Goku Black arc of Dragon Ball Super and remembers its unfortunate ending? With all of reality (past, present, and future) being wiped clean of all life? I like to think THAT'S how severe Galeem's attack was.
Makes you wonder how there are other Survivors to begin with, eh? Or maybe Galeem's attack didn't reach far enough to touch characters like Adeliene and Rathian?

beans

Smash Lord

Makes you wonder how there are other Survivors to begin with, eh? Or maybe Galeem's attack didn't reach far enough to touch characters like Adeliene and Rathian?
Galeem bias

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Mario Party isn't produced by Camelot, though. It was produced by HudsonSoft until they went bankrupt (RIP), then handed off to somebody else — I don't remember who it was, and I'm too busy trying to catch up on all my alerts on Smashboards to look it up.

Attachments

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Eh, aside from Marvel, John Wick, and Blade Runner 2049, I haven't been impressed with Cinema as a whole nowadays.
I mean. If you like 2049 why not check out Villeneuve's other movies. If you're saying movies nowadays are bad, chances are you're just not looking hard enough.

D

Deleted member

I thought watching the Smash tournaments Nintendo hosted and seeing players stop fighting just to deal with hazards would have been enough for people to realize why competitive play selects only stages without distractiins. It's boring, ruins the pacing if the fight and is just not what competitive play is about.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Galeem bias
Galeem is Sakurai confirmed!

Mario Party isn't produced by Camelot, though. It was produced by HudsonSoft until they went bankrupt (RIP), then handed off to somebody else — I don't remember who it was, and I'm too busy trying to catch up on all my alerts on Smashboards to look it up.
Oh, it isn't? Hmmm, certainly is strange then. Maybe it's due to the one-off nature of most Mario Party games? Just a hunch.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Anime is such a mixed bag for me.

On the one hand it's grounds for some of the most mature and creative storytelling I've found.
On the other hand it's home to some super infuriating and off-putting cliches.

Not to mention there's a (partially deserved) stigma around anime fans, making it something I don't bring up at the dinner table if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Finally, Slowpoke gets the love and respect he deserves.
Seeing your favorite pokemon getting some recognition for once. Must be nice.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I thought watching the Smash tournaments Nintendo hosted and seeing players stop fighting just to deal with hazards would have been enough for people to realize why competitive play selects only stages without distractiins. It's boring, ruins the pacing if the fight and is just not what competitive play is about.
As a casual player, I totally understand why the competitive scene only uses a few stages. If I’m ever doing a “serious” match, I want it to be as fair as possible.

beans

Smash Lord
Adeleine just hid behind her painting with Ribbon and the beam got sucked into the canvas.
Villager should have pocketed the beam
Mario should have spammed cape
Mewtwo should've look angrily at the beam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom