• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
A good Smash player is able to fight and win matches on every stage present in the game, and not just the ones listed by the competitive scene.

That’s all i will say.
This is true. It's also true that the more skilled player wins more matches on balanced stages than they do on imbalanced stages ripe with randomness.

D

Deleted member

And in the highest level of competition where the gaps between the best players are minute, stage hazards and walk-offs that favor certain characters way above others have no place in the discussion.

Competitive stage lists are meant to keep things fair no matter who's playing whom.
I can understand that pretty well for the players who want to be high up on the competitive side.

My problem comes when people like modders take as the law everything that the scene says.
Go to Gamebanana and check the Stage mods for Smash U: while some are good (there’s a stage based on Kakariko Village from Twilight Princess that looks dope there), most are clones of Smashville, Battlefield or Final Destination.

I just wish that the rules of the competitive side didn’t have so much effect on the community as a whole.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I can understand that pretty well for the players who want to be high up on the competitive side.

My problem comes when people like modders take as the law everything that the scene says.
Go to Gamebanana and check the Stage mods for Smash U: while some are good (there’s a stage based on Kakariko Village from Twilight Princess that looks dope there), most are clones of Smashville, Battlefield or Final Destination.

I just wish that the rules of the competitive side didn’t have so much effect on the community as a whole.
I mean that's probably just because those are the ones that tend to get the most downloads. Definitely get where you're coming from, though. When jamming with my friends my favourite stages are Gamer and Temple, both of which will never be competitive stages

D

Deleted member

This is true. It's also true that the more skilled player wins more matches on balanced stages than they do on imbalanced stages ripe with randomness.
Yeah, i can understand the rules in regards to that.

My problem is when people like modders use them as law most of the time.

I posted in my status a example of what i mean with something called “Better Woolly World”.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Wait, so, if Galeem's laser, was able to turn characters such as Mipha, for example, into, spirits, even though she is, very much dead, and doesn't have a physical form, in which could be transformed into a spirit, does that mean, that Galeem's attack, stretched out across the whole of time itself?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Slowpoke as a playable fighter is the slowest fighter in the game. His only move is Ridley's tail move, which is incredibly slow but if you get hit you die instantly. His up-B makes a different character in the match perform their recovery. If you set the speed to 309% he moves slightly slower than Robin. None of his other inputs do anything.

beans

Smash Lord
Wait, so, if Galeem's laser, was able to turn characters such as Mipha, for example, into, spirits, even though she is, very much dead, and doesn't have a physical form, in which could be transformed into a spirit, does that mean, that Galeem's attack, stretched out across the whole of time itself?
Nah, it just hitted her soul hard enough.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
A good Smash player is able to fight and win matches on every stage present in the game, and not just the ones listed by the competitive scene.

That’s all i will say.
Except for a skilled Roy. The only one who can challenge a skilled Roy is Cutscene!Dante.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Slowpoke as a playable fighter is the slowest fighter in the game. His only move is Ridley's tail move, which is incredibly slow but if you get hit you die instantly. His up-B makes a different character in the match perform their recovery. If you set the speed to 309% he moves slightly slower than Robin. None of his other inputs do anything.
Stop this, you're making me want to change mains!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

That's fair. Your first post was a totally different tone, but this one is a better take.

I can respect that.

D

Deleted member

"DOO-ALL WEILD!!!"
"GIVE ME STRENGHT!!!"
Oh my God! I can't! I can't with this! My sides have left the damn stratosphere! XD

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It is apparently able to pierce different planes of existence so I wouldn't doubt it could at this point

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Back on track, who else here isn't particularly concerned with who the DLC is?
They are who they are and I'll be getting the fighter pack anyway, so

Speculation is fine of course, I just don't particularly care too much, let alone enough to "be disappointed" by it haha
If you've been following my posts you'll know I don't really care either, honestly I think I have enough faith in Sakurai & co. to purchase the Fighters Pass.

and y'know I want the Rex Mii Costume too
I'll take five Fire Emblem characters. Give me Anna, Camilla, Virion, Celica, and Eirika. Sure!

It turns out we are sleeping on Characters Who Have Speaking Roles In World Of Light DLC so uh Anna, Doc Louis, Funky Kong, the Jello guy from Splatoon, and uh...I can't remember what Pokemon showed up in the Direct and I've been avoiding almost all WoL details, but that one.
Your Fire Emblem Characters are Arden, Deirdre with a Julia Echo, Arvis with a Julius Echo, Ethlyn, and Sigurd with an Eldigan Echo to promote the Genealogy remake. Have fun fellas.

As for Characters Who Have Speaking Roles, GRAVITY MAN CONFIRMED BAYBEE
Fire Emblem has the funniest fandom because all those people are trying to shame each other for liking anime stuff while all games are anime stuff.
On that note, the Switch Newsfeed put out an advertisement for "Anime Games". Guess what one of the main featured games was? Fire Emblem Warriors.

You heard them folks: Nintendo officially classifies Fire Emblem as anime. I'll be in my bomb shelter.

beans

Smash Lord
One of his buttons just make an enemy whiffs its attack. You can spam it. Sadly it doesnt work in real life against those players that are armed and coming at y

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

That’s all i will say.
Do you play every character in the game equally? If you have a main character you are better with or prefer playing with, the concept of having main stages you are better on or prefer playing on shouldn't be foreign to you.

osby

Smash Obsessed
His final smash doesn't even have a cutscene. He just yawns and falls asleep and moves don't do any damage to him until he wakes up.
Damn, that's OP. Competitive players should ban Final Smashes before it's too late.

D

Deleted member

On that note, the Switch Newsfeed put out an advertisement for "Anime Games". Guess what one of the main featured games was? Fire Emblem Warriors.

You heard them folks: Nintendo officially classifies Fire Emblem as anime. I'll be in my bomb shelter.
"B-But Fire Emblem wasn't anime before Awakening! It was mythical folklore!"

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
And in the highest level of competition where the gaps between the best players are minute, stage hazards and walk-offs that favor certain characters way above others have no place in the discussion.

Competitive stage lists are meant to keep things fair no matter who's playing whom.
Certain characters are favored or disfavored by non-walk-off stages, too. (If you're a character with great aerial mobility, such as Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, Kirby, Pit, et cetera, you’ll be just fine if you leave terra firma for a little while; if you’re a character with terrible aerial mobility, such as Little Mac, Chrom, Ganondorf, or Incineroar, you're completely ****ed if you end up near the edges of the screen and there isn't solid ground around there.)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I actually picked my Switch up out of its dock to run to the other room to show my brother because I thought it was hilarious.

It wasn't just featured. Marth's ****ing face was at the top and center.

D

Deleted member

My perspective in the whole competitive play and stage stuff is just like, let people play the way they wanna play. If they’re enjoying themselves and aren’t being assholes, I don’t see the problem. If people want to mod in more viably competitive stages, then I’d say let them do what they want. Some people just prefer to play on certain types of stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

beans

Smash Lord
Do you play every character in the game equally? If you have a main character you are better with or prefer playing with, the concept of having main stages you are better on or prefer playing on shouldn't be foreign to you.
I think he means that there is a skill level where stage preference doesnt matter since you can pull consistent results in any of them

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Certain characters are favored or disfavored by non-walk-off stages, too. (If you're a character with great aerial mobility, such as Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, Kirby, Pit, et cetera, you’ll be just fine if you leave terra firma for a little while; if you’re a character with terrible aerial mobility, such as Little Mac, Chrom, Ganondorf, or Incineroar, you're completely ****ed if you end up near the edges of the screen and there isn't solid ground around there.)
I was referring specifically to chaingrabs and jab infinites that allow certain characters to simply walk you right off the stage with no chance for counter or recovery once the first move hits. Not a general disadvantage.

D

Deleted member

My perspective in the whole competitive play and stage stuff is just like, let people play the way they wanna play. If they’re enjoying themselves and aren’t being ********, I don’t see the problem. If people want to mod in more viably competitive stages, then I’d say let them do what they want.
That’s fair.

Yeah, that’s a good thing to do.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It is apparently able to pierce different planes of existence so I wouldn't doubt it could at this point
Yep. Apparently, it reached both the afterlife and all periods of time and space as well. For the afterlife, Sakurai himself states that Hades and Medusa (both of whom are dead, mind you), were still killed by Galeem. Also in regards to time and space, the likes of Kaptain K. Rool is a Spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom