• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Saw some conversation of PSASBR. Based on the design choices, like that special attacks were the only way to get kills, it really didn’t stand a chance in being that game that would finally rival Super Smash abroad. Frankly, I don’t think there will be one like Smash that, well, isn’t Smash.

The reason Smash exists as it does today is because Nintendo has, frankly, the best 1st party lineup on any gaming company. Because Sony and Microsoft have always relied on 3rd party games, it makes the creation of a Smash like game that much harder. While Nintendo owns practically 90% of the roster, there are just under 10 characters they don’t own, and at the very least they are high tier picks.

Add the fact that Smash started small and has grown over time. Sure we’re at almost 80 now, but when you have basically a rookie dev team that doesn’t have the clout to get characters like Snake or Cloud, and you compare that with a guy and his team that pay attention to the most excruciating details and do it well...it’s not hard to see why certain characters get to be in Smash but not Sony’s first try.

Like, the fact that a roster of almost 80 is still having attention paid to balance is just nuts. PSASBR has what...roughly 20, and it was a disaster?

PSASBR has potential, but it’s a huge challenge to overtake Smash at this point.
Smash literally has 74 (75 come February and 80 after DLC) characters, and that gives Smash something PSASBR wish it had; widespread appeal. There is literally something for everybody who plays this game. There's bound to be at least one character someone likes, or a character from a game somebody has played. Hell, it's almost impossible at this point for someone to NOT have heard of incredibly famous franchises like Pokemon and Mario, and if somebody has only ever heard of/played some of Nintendo's more niche franchises like Xenoblade and Mother, then they still have something to enjoy about this game.

D

Deleted member

RISE UP MEWTWO MAINS,

ITS TIME TO DISABLE ALL OTHER MAINS AND REMAIN SUPERIOR OVER THE COMPETITIVE! LONG LIVE THE MEWTWO :4pacman:
how you gonna disable me if you die at 50%

jokes aside though I really feel like Mewtwo is a sleeper top-tier

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's only two logical choices for a proper non-Echo Gen 2 rep

Heracross and Tyranitar

Come at me
Scizor? Typlosion? Grovyle/Weavile?

Oh.

Hey, another glitch! This one really explains itself.
Yay, Nabbit glitch is good as back. I had fun messing with it before they patched it. I laughed way too hard at some parts of it (such as Nabbit staring at Shulk's FS)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The data only mentions Rare in relation to the 12 DKC songs.
What are you getting at? I see that a lot of people liked this post, and I'm trying to understand why. I think I'm missing something here

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly if PSABR didn't have the 'only supers can kill' I'd at least consider buying it, me and some friends played it when waiting for the August direct and we had lots of fun despite having no idea how anything worked. Roster had some slight issues (No Crash or Kazuma Kiryu were our group's biggest problems) but outside of the dude who has never touched a Playstation before, we all liked some of the roster choices

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
These last few days before the game are going to go extremely slow aren't they?

Hopefully the excitement of the Game Awards will help speed up the process to the Midnight release a bit.

D

Deleted member

Saw some conversation of PSASBR. Based on the design choices, like that special attacks were the only way to get kills, it really didn’t stand a chance in being that game that would finally rival Super Smash abroad. Frankly, I don’t think there will be one like Smash that, well, isn’t Smash.

The reason Smash exists as it does today is because Nintendo has, frankly, the best 1st party lineup on any gaming company. Because Sony and Microsoft have always relied on 3rd party games, it makes the creation of a Smash like game that much harder. While Nintendo owns practically 90% of the roster, there are just under 10 characters they don’t own, and at the very least they are high tier picks.

Add the fact that Smash started small and has grown over time. Sure we’re at almost 80 now, but when you have basically a rookie dev team that doesn’t have the clout to get characters like Snake or Cloud, and you compare that with a guy and his team that pay attention to the most excruciating details and do it well...it’s not hard to see why certain characters get to be in Smash but not Sony’s first try.

Like, the fact that a roster of almost 80 is still having attention paid to balance is just nuts. PSASBR has what...roughly 20, and it was a disaster?

PSASBR has potential, but it’s a huge challenge to overtake Smash at this point.
I should call Disney to see if they dare to make a Smash Bros rival.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Disable looks more like a projectile the way it travelled there.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully the excitement of the Game Awards will help speed up the process to the Midnight release a bit.
They’re going to announce either Kratos or Arthur Morgan for smash depending on which one wins GOTY. Screencap this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
hey guys i haven't been here the past 2000 pages. can i get a 5 word summary?
What the **** just happened?

Scizor? Typlosion? Grovyle/Weavile?

Yay, Nabbit glitch is good as back. I had fun messing with it before they patched it. I laughed way too hard at some parts of it (such as Nabbit staring at Shulk's FS)
Scizor has a chance but he's Pokeball again

Typloshion isn't as popular as the three who were mentioned were

Grovyle and Weavile aren't Gen 2. Please do your homework again man

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Disable looks more like a projectile the way it travelled there.
Disable actually was already a projectile in 4. I learned that the hard way when I one time had it reflected at me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I mean this isn't really anything new. We've known for a while how much his landing lag got reduced
I literally haven't seen any of this in action until right now, so that's why I found this important.

Eh, I also use him a bit, so...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They’re going to announce either Kratos or Arthur Morgan for smash depending on which one wins GOTY. Screencap this post.
They are going to reveal the new Superman game alongside the character in Smash.

And Superman will be followed by a Switch-exclusive Fantastic Four game alongside the First Family joining Smash too.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
What the **** just happened?

Scizor has a chance but he's Pokeball again

Typloshion isn't as popular as the three who were mentioned were

Grovyle and Weavile aren't Gen 2. Please do your homework again man
Oops, I meant Sneasel instead of Grovyle. Weavile is it's evolution so it sorta counts.

Also Typlosion is popular, plus it would be our first Fire-Type Pokemon that isn't terrible so that's a plus.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
PSASBR was fun, flawed as it may feels, I hate that they tried to make character rivals for one reason or other.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
What are you getting at? I see that a lot of people liked this post, and I'm trying to understand why. I think I'm missing something here
People keep saying that Rare LTD was found in the datamine, usually as evidence that Banjo might be coming. It's been falsely spread that Rare "copyrights" are in the code, when the only mention of Rare LTD is that they're the composers for the 12 songs from Donkey Kong Country (and the DK Rap). The code even says that Nintendo owns the copyright to the music, Rare is only listed because they wrote the original songs and the game is giving them proper credit for that.

https://pastebin.com/eJC3DnCG

D

Deleted member

They are going to reveal the new Superman game alongside the character in Smash.

And Superman will be followed by a Switch-exclusive Fantastic Four game alongside the First Family joining Smash too.
First Family eh?

im in smash

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Bruh, to be completely honest this week is flying by for me. Like i’m dead set on next Friday because I specifically took that day off, and the fact that tomorrow is already Thursday has just left me completely bamboozled.

I mean really, my weekend next week starts Thursday afternoon, so all I have to do is keep going with work and what not until then.

Next week will probably be complete trash in terms of speed, but man will it be soooooo worth it.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
People keep saying that Rare LTD was found in the datamine, usually as evidence that Banjo might be coming. It's been falsely spread that Rare "copyrights" are in the code, when the only mention of Rare LTD is that they're the composers for the 12 songs from Donkey Kong Country (and the DK Rap). The code even says that Nintendo owns the copyright to the music, Rare is only listed because they wrote the original songs and the game is giving them proper credit for that.

https://pastebin.com/eJC3DnCG
So that means everyone thinking that Banjo "is in" because of this are probably wrong since it's only because of the DKC songs? I figured people would be upset about that. I thought people here wanted Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom