• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
:ultmario:: Bowser’s Castle
:ultdk:: Frantic Factory
:ultlink:: Kokiri Forest
:ultyoshi:: Return of Wooly world
:ultpikachu:: Ecruteak City
:ultmarth:: Literally anything, they need a new stage. Maybe that pond where they kept showing Azura swimming in the promos.
:ultrob:: The Subspace Bomb Factory
:ultsonic:: Chemical Plant Zone
:ultpacman:: Return of Pac Maze, even if they don’t have the gimmick
Kokiri Forest, that's a good one! Also yes, I really wish Pac Maze was returning (or a new version of it).

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Can we get a new Kirby game with Sakurai directing it (and Bandana Dee/Magolor having a major role), pleeeeaasssee?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Does anyone REALLLLLY love Mii Gunners Grenade special? That special is one of my favorite specials in the ENITRE SMASH SERIES! That move is soooo good with it's multi-hit, bouncy, pill-shaped, combo into grab, arc flying pressure tool, that makes me really want to do jank with more than others.
Was my favorite for them in Smash 4. Though I never played miis mostly due to them being so small compared to everyone for some weird reason.

On the topic of TGA 10 new game announcements and updates for existing games is exciting. Though I must try to temper people's expectations here if you all got Nintendo on the mind. Remember this is an event for games on all consoles and PC/MAC, keep in mind a lot of the announcements will likely not be Nintendo focused.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ok uhh, I give Zero Suit Samus' alts a pass because those are gym wear, but how is Shulk excusable amidst all of this censorship and rating stuff? He's literally wearing his underwear, not swim trunks, not shorts, underwear.

(Pic taken from r/xenoblade)
Why does Shulk, a playable character, get to run around in his briefs while pngs are censored? I think the censoring for characters like Mythra and Camilla to keep the game E10+/CERO A makes sense, what I don't get is when the censoring is arbitrary.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I just realized, Imagine if the countdown Twitter event end up the 6-7 december night at the VGA with the announcement of the first DLC character and an artwork from X company.
I would like that Very much.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Here's a fun game because I'm bored. If you were to add one more stage for each character/series, what would you add?

I'll start (only doing the ones I have answers for though) :
:ultkirby:- City Trial (Air Ride)
:ulttoonlink:- Minish Woods
:ultdoc: - A Dr. Mario stage (Duh)
:ultness: - Saturn Valley
:ultlucas:- Tazmily Village
:ultsamus: - Phendrana Drifts (so we'd have a non-lava Metroid stage)
:ultmegaman:- Central Highway
:ultsnake:- Mother Base
:ultsonic:- Scrap Brain Zone
:ultrob:- A ROB "Stack-Up" stage (just so he could have his own stage)

:ultsonic: Space Colony Ark
:ultlink: Zora's Domain Breath of the Wild
:ultryu:Old Temple Street Fighter 4
:ultcloud:City of Ancients
:ultbowser:Bowser's Kingdom Super Mario Odyssey
:ultpacman:Pac Maze
:ultdk:Donkey Kong Island
:ultmario:Mario Kart Rainbow Road

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok uhh, I give Zero Suit Samus' alts a pass because those are gym wear, but how is Shulk excusable amidst all of this censorship and rating stuff? He's literally wearing his underwear, not swim trunks, not shorts, underwear.

Why does Shulk, a playable character, get to run around in his briefs while pngs are censored? I think the censoring for characters like Mythra and Camilla to keep the game E10+/CERO A makes sense, what I don't get is when the censoring is arbitrary.
Probably because they look like swimming trunks more than underwear. and CERO is kinda sexists

Also, I know this is a joke but this picture is pretty ironic, considering Sakurai personally complained about the censoring they had to make to preserve the age rating.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
They changed the camera focal angle. Huh.
Oh, didn't even notice that camera focus angle was changed between ken leak and final game. nice caught there.

Hey bud, you may want to spoiler that image because it got middle finger in it.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Wow...that Skull Kid costume is really good! It matches his proportions very well.

It’s practically the closest to playing as the real deal more than any costume, it almost looks like a mod.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
For the same reason Pyra wasn't censored. CERO only has a problem with skirts. Skin tight shorts are fine.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Female nudity is considered more offensive than male nudity.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

To be fair, we got Shirtless Mario in Odyssey, and that game was rated E10+. So I can see why they let Shirtless Shulk slide.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
:ultsonic: Space Colony Ark
:ultlink: Zora's Domain Breath of the Wild
:ultryu:Old Temple Street Fighter 4
:ultcloud:City of Ancients
:ultbowser:Bowser's Kingdom Super Mario Odyssey
:ultpacman:Pac Maze
:ultdk:Donkey Kong Island
:ultmario:Mario Kart Rainbow Road
Man, I wish they could just make a stage based on every kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey... Also, City of Ancients would be dang cool.

D

Deleted member

Okay so what's everybody's kinda opinion on each character as of now?
Christ, this is super late and I dunno if I already did one of these, aaaah. Eh, might as well make it to celebrate the end of waiting in the single digits!

:ultinkling: - Hugely expected, but happy nonetheless. Splatoon seemed like the obvious choice, and while I think Moray Towers was a bit of an oddball choice for the stage, I can't deny that they did the series justice. The moveset definitely looks interesting, albeit a bit to get used to.
:ultdaisy: - Hey man. I don't play Peach. But I love Daisy more than Peach. Looks like I'll be playing as Daisy. :denzel:
:ultridley: - About. Mother. ****ing. Time. I honestly felt as if Smash Ultimate was gonna be pulling some weight and actually bear the name "Ultimate", you gotta have Ridley. The myth, the loch ness, he's finally in. He looks heavy to play as, he looks menacing as he does in the original games -- I'm just glad that we can all now finally rest knowing that the push for Ridley was for naught all these years. We did it, Reddit.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: - Yeeeeah, boy. Now THIS is the good ****. The amount of love for Castlevania in this game is INSANE. The stage and music list, the detail in both Simon/Richter's movesets, all of it screams passion. It made sense for this time around to get another "Classic" third-party that still holds a legacy to this day, and who else really is left other than Castlevania? Overall great ****. Also Divine Bloodlines is sex.
:ultchrom: - Uh... Glad he's in? :drshrug:
:ultdarksamus: - Oh wow. A fourth one? Really? I actually never thought it was gonna happen, but man. THAT was an actual huge curveball. ANOTHER Metroid rep. Think about that, we went from 2 reps to now 4. Doubled Brawl's and Smash For's cast. With Metroid Prime 4 coming up too, especially, I can't see how Dark Samus doesn't fit in. Perfect addition that I don't mind at all.
:ultkrool: - Nothing on this Earth can stop him now. And neither could my **** during the reveal.
:ultisabelle: - Was expected, much like Inkling. Animal Crossing has become such a behemoth not just for Nintendo, but gaming in general. What I didn't expect, however, was for her to be a Luigi-like semi-echo of Villager. Another curveball, for sure, especially given all the other info we had from that September Direct. I think I might play her over Villager, but for sure is a good addition.
:ultken: - Oh, hell yeah. I was a Ryu main back in Smash For, I loved all the combos you could do, and the fact that Ken is pretty much just a better Ryu all around? AND it's Ken? While it made sense, especially with the echo fighters side-motif in this game, how could you not have the OG echo? Also, with becoming a renewed Street Fighter fan, my reaction was pretty much the same as Maximilian Dood's.
:ultincineroar: - Look. I'm currently out of Pokemon, and don't know who this is still. However, given my history with wrestling, all I only see with Incineroar is Roman Reigns in my eyes, so hey, why not.
:ultpiranha: - Yikes. I mean, this is definitely creative, but man. The timing with how... "something" the Final Smash Direct was and especially being the quote-on-quote "first DLC fighter" for the DLC cycle for Smash Ultimate, yeah, I'm pretty indifferent. Downloaded him for the free limited time offer, so he gets a pass for being free until January 31st, 2019.

Hopes for DLC?
Geno and Banjo-Kazooie are still on top. Originally I had a Bethesda rep in mind, but with how Fallout 76 has become, **** them. In fact, including one would be a literal insult. Crazy curveballs like Amaterasu from Okami and Phoenix Wright I would ****ing love. There probably are a few more, but I'm cautiously optimistic for DLC.

Oh, also Rex & Pyra.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The first DQ you chose is ok, yet I really like the Viloent Enemies one.
Haha, you wrote George Nibelheim XD But oh, now I get why you asked that question, because of being in 11 languages. Huh! I didn't know Cloud would stay in Japanese! Are you sure? I mean even Marth started speaking English (intensive courses :p). Hmm, I have no idea, it would make most the sense to let him voice Sephiroth. Let's wait and see.
Battle in The Forgotten City is really good, agree. Not so much with Those Who Fight AD ver..
Banjo, I'd still take Click Clock Wood. If you haven't asked I wouldn't have realized how little variety Banjo had in his music department. Not so many good options. I haven't looked at Tooie btw.
Well the reason Cloud doesn't have an English VA is because his VA is union. Nintendo doesn't like to deal with VA's who are union. Also Square has a policy where they insist on the VA being credited. So this is why Steve Burton hasn't been seen voicing Cloud in any of the English game footage. George Newbern as far as I am aware is not a union VA. However due to Cloud's voice staying Japanese they may not let Sephiroth have an English VA. Lol George Nibelheim, my bad. Maybe he's from the Nibelheim empire ha.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Does anyone REALLLLLY love Mii Gunners Grenade special? That special is one of my favorite specials in the ENITRE SMASH SERIES! That move is soooo good with it's multi-hit, bouncy, pill-shaped, combo into grab, arc flying pressure tool, that makes me really want to do jank with more than others.
3322 Mii Gunner is way too much fun in Smash 4 but only if you're the one using it. It's like a pure projectile camp set; I kinda think that while it has some bad match-ups it was probably a really underrated character in 4 just because no one really gave the Miis a chance. The grenade is fast and rewarding to hit with, but the total commitment on the bomb is a lot lower along with the massive shield damage and they cover different angles so you kinda alternate between the two of them and a lot of characters really struggle to approach that nonsense. When the opponent gets scared to ever move in, the homing Mii Missiles are like a million times better than Samus's missiles since they actually home properly so you can really set up some pain. I'll definitely be exploring the gunner as a serious character in Ultimate, especially because with Squad Strike the bad match-up problem may just matter a lot less if it is put on a balanced team.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I saw on reddit that someone's reporting that certain Assist Trophies and Pokeballs can't appear on some stages:

- Palkia won't spawn on Spear Pillar
- The Moon won't spawn on Great Bay
- Klap Trop won't spawn on Jungle Japes

...we have a precedent to remove Assist Trophies and Pokemon from the rotation! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
Extremely late on this but this is another reason I’m not dropping support for Shadow.
So any news on Nintendo banning leakers?
Hah I read this as “leaking banners”. Not yet but I imagine they’ll be cracking down come launch day.

osby

Smash Obsessed
CERO is stupid. Nuff said.
To quote Sakurai: "If you’re more worried about something trivial like whether you can see some cloth than whether a game includes firearms, you clearly ought to get your priorities in order."

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Okay so what's everybody's kinda opinion on each character as of now?
:ultinkling: Very excited, actually freaked out at the reveal and in general I love Splatoon.

:ultdaisy: Happy she's in. Looks really expressive.

:ultridley: Awesome. Not a Metroid fan, but the memes and the way they revealed him has me intrigued.

:ultsimon: Cool, not a Castlevania fan but he looks like a neat homage to the NES era.

:ultrichter: Eh, didn't know who he was before the direct and he's not as cool Simon imo.

:ultkrool:Very glad he's in, charming character with amazing expressions, and I love the DK series.

:ultisabelle: Cute, not an AC fan but she deserves to be in, no doubt. She also looks like a more fun Villager.

:ultken: Neat, has way more personality than Ryu and generally looks fun to play as.

:ultincineroar: He was my most wanted aside from Inkling, and the way the executed him shows exactly why I wanted him in the first place.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

CERO is just really stupid and Sakurai is very likely aiming for CERO A rather than CERO B. Case in Point Etna from Disgaea is in a CERO A Game looking exactly like this:

So Yeah. CERO is just weird as all ****.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Here's a fun game because I'm bored. If you were to add one more stage for each character/series, what would you add?

I'll start (only doing the ones I have answers for though) :
:ultkirby:- City Trial (Air Ride)
:ulttoonlink:- Minish Woods
:ultdoc: - A Dr. Mario stage (Duh)
:ultness: - Saturn Valley
:ultlucas:- Tazmily Village
:ultsamus: - Phendrana Drifts (so we'd have a non-lava Metroid stage)
:ultmegaman:- Central Highway
:ultsnake:- Mother Base
:ultsonic:- Scrap Brain Zone
:ultrob:- A ROB "Stack-Up" stage (just so he could have his own stage)
:ultmario: - Koopa's Road
:ulttoonlink: - Flooded Hyrule Castle
:ultdk: - Gankplank Galleon
:ultyoshi: - Yoshi's House
:ultpikachu: - Goldenrod City Magnet Train Station
:ultfox: - Andross' Lair
:ultsamus: - SR388
:ultness: - Happy Happy Village
:ultpit: - Underworld
:ultsonic: - Radical Highway
:ultmegaman: - Kattelox City
:ultkirby: - Dedede's Castle
:ultinkling: - Inkopolis Plaza

D

Deleted member

Newcomer Rankings:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, ****ing YES!: :ultridley::ultsimon:
Hey, They're cool! I'll take them!: :ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultinkling::ultrichter:
Eh, Okay I guess: :ultdaisy::ultken::ultisabelle:
Bruh Why?: :ultchrom:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I saw that tweet before, and jesus christ, there will be more than 10 video games announcemnt at the show?!

How many new games that got announced at TGA last year? because I'm sure that is many than just few games revealed at TGA last year.
Here, I'll list out what was announced/shown at The Game Awards 2017.

NEW STUFF / UPDATES / WORLD PREMIERES
Bayonetta 1 + 2 for Switch, Bayonetta 3 confirmed reveal
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC Pack 2 - The Champion's Ballad, announced, revealed and released that same night
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice teaser reveal
World War Z reveal
GTFO reveal
Vacation Simulator reveal
Accounting+ from Rick and Morty creator, reveal
In the Valley of Gods, by Firewatch devs, reveal
Soul Calibur VI official reveal
Fortnite 50 v 50 mode update
More Death Stranding updates
Witchfire reveal, from The Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs
Sea of Thieves update
PUBG new map update
Metro: Exodus trailer
Dreams reveal

Pretty much 16 announcements in general. The fact that there's more than 10 new game announcements? AND updates to existing titles? I think it isn't THAT unreasonable to say that there could be an update on Smash Ultimate DLC. However, Metroid Prime Trilogy + 4? Of ****ing course.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey guys. I got some interesting news:

We now know who sings the English version of Lifelight.

It's Abby Trott.

She voices Pod 153 in Nier: Automata and Laegjarn in FE Heroes.

I'll tag NineS NineS here for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom