• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, so you don't care for it but you go and talk about it every time i post about it? You are a strange person.

But let's be a little more specific on this topic... Simple math.
Pokémon is the second most famous and profitable franchise Nintendo has.
And curious enought , Digimon is the third most famous and profitable franchise Bandai Namco has.

BUT! The second most famous and profitable franchise Bandai Namco has is Tamagotchi, and funny enought Digimon is a Tamagotchi franchise as well.
So you can say Digimon is the Second AND Third most famous and profitable franchise Bandai Namco has.

So in inside the companys percentage , Digimon is bigger than Pokémon.
Funny ah?
That's not what I said and you know it I literally said I GREW UP ON DIGIMON. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were watching Digimon Tamers on Jetix and I was incredibly upset when it got replaced. One of my favourite games as a kid was Digimon Rumble Arena on the ps1 and I felt ****ing amazing when I found a copy of the sequel years later

That "simple math" becomes completely obselete when you remember Pokemom is in the top 3 most popular franchises PERIOD. As in, not just Nintendo franhises or video game franchises. It's up there with ****ing STAR WARS. Also I don't know if I agree that Digimon is up there with Pac-Man, Tekken and Tales Of. MAYBE Soul Calibur too, idk.
That argument supports Tamagotchi more than a Digimon y'know

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Digimon is Pokemon that doubles down on the designs.
I dont have any images of Gundramon at hand but if the Pokemon anime censored a gun from an episode, they would censor the entire season of Gundramon.
90% of the Digimon designs still suck though. Or are laughably bad.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Man, if someone doesn’t put out a flowchart or something that shows who unlocks who by release day, I’ll be ready to grind out VS. matches like I always did since Brawl. However, unlocking :ultkrool: early is pretty nice so I guess I’ll clear classic as Link for once.

EDIT: And I promise I won’t spam up B 24/7.
Huh?

I thought it was confirmed that the challengers were random after people watching two different streams which featured a particular character being challenged by 2 different challengers

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
I've seen 3 people unlock pit after playing WoL once and exiting out, I wouldn't call that a coincidence. Same for another character, but I can't remember which :/

Graizen

Smash Champion
That's not what I said and you know it I literally said I GREW UP ON DIGIMON. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were watching Digimon Tamers on Jetix and I was incredibly upset when it got replaced. One of my favourite games as a kid was Digimon Rumble Arena on the ps1 and I felt ****ing amazing when I found a copy of the sequel years later

That "simple math" becomes completely obselete when you remember Pokemom is in the top 3 most popular franchises PERIOD. As in, not just Nintendo franhises or video game franchises. It's up there with ****ing STAR WARS. Also I don't know if I agree that Digimon is up there with Pac-Man, Tekken and Tales Of. MAYBE Soul Calibur too, idk.
"Becomes obsolete"?
No, it does not.
Stop changing things just to protect your opinion.

Pokémon is a giant, yes. And i love it so much!
But Digimon is a giant INSIDE Bandai Namco!
So big you can put Tales of and Tekken together and you will not have the same numbers Digimon has.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Pokémon is the second most famous and profitable franchise Nintendo has.

Pokemon is the most profitable franchise in existence. Literally everything else falls short.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I thought each character unlocked a specific character, but subsequent playthroughs will net you a different character.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its nice to see that Marx and especially Dracula act as final bosses within Classic Mode.

EDIT: Anyways, what's with the Digimon talk all of the sudden?

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Yeah unlocks are random.

Twitch guy got Jigglypuff by beating Kirby classic mode, whereas Youtube guy got her from Ness classic mode.
Interesting. I was hoping to find certain characters at start, but a random draw for each character will be interesting. I can't imagine getting Roy as one of my first unlockables and marking the **** out of it lmao

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Becomes obsolete"?
No, it does not.
Stop changing things just to protect your opinion.

Pokémon is a giant, yes. And i love it so much!
But Digimon is a giant INSIDE Bandai Namco!
So big you can put Tales of and Tekken together and you will not have the same numbers Digimon has.
Look who's talking, by saying a niche franchise would blow up the internet more than ONE OF THE BIGGEST MEDIA FRANCHISES TO EVER EXIST. Not to mention YOU changed my sentence of "I grew up on Digimon" as "I don't care about Digimon"
Can you actually prove this? Can you get the list of game sales and put them together? Considering Digimon games seemingly rarely even get hyped up for western releases, I need proof. YOU are the one claiming Digimon is this popular so that means the burden of proof lies on YOU. I would also like sources when you show me your proof Digimon game sales trump Tekken and Tales Of

Graizen

Smash Champion
Look who's talking, by saying a niche franchise would blow up the internet more than ONE OF THE BIGGEST MEDIA FRANCHISES TO EVER EXIST. Not to mention YOU changed my sentence of "I grew up on Digimon" as "I don't care about Digimon"
Can you actually prove this? Can you get the list of game sales and put them together? Considering Digimon games seemingly rarely even get hyped up for western releases, I need proof. YOU are the one claiming Digimon is this popular so that means the burden of proof lies on YOU. I would also like sources when you show me your proof Digimon game sales trump Tekken and Tales Of
In fact , Digimon made 6.36 billion
Digimon is number 65 in the TOP 100 most profitable franchises of all time.
And is now BIGGER than Tamagotchi ( Digimon is part Tamagotchi as well ).

Losing only to Pac-man inside Bandai Namco.

And other franchises like Tales of , Tekken , Xenosaga and Klonoa don't even apear on the list.

Big for a Niche franchise eh?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I actually kind of like that design.
Yeah that's the beauty of it
Designs can be "bad" or "good" but when it comes to these collectible monsters that's really up to the player / viewer to decide and is pretty subjective
Which is another reason why the digimon v pokemon thing is moot

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Wow so random unlocks well that is interesting if true but I hope we can get a decent amount in WOL and have the rest as random unlocks would hate to have to wait to get a favorite charcter till the end because of random unlocks

D

Deleted member

Saying a new Pokemon would blow up the internet more than a digimon is like saying Daisy would blow up the internet more than Ridley

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings

And other franchises like Tales of , Tekken , Xenosaga and Klonoa don't even apear on the list.

Quite the dramatic shifting of goalposts. If I recall, the original claim was that a Pokemon would still generate more hype/interest than anything from Digimon. But you keep twisting things to... not even try and fit your narrative, I'm not quite sure what you're even doing besides making your Digimon bias more apparent for everyone.

Saying a new Pokemon would blow up the internet more than a digimon is like saying Daisy would blow up the internet more than Ridley
Ridley's a special case as he'd been in demand for 15 years and had become a massive meme.
A better comparison would've been Sylux.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Quite the dramatic shifting of goalposts. If I recall, the original claim was that a Pokemon would still generate more hype/interest than anything from Digimon. But you keep twisting things to... not even try and fit your narrative, I'm not quite sure what you're even doing besides making your Digimon bias more apparent for everyone.
My "goalpost" was to prove that Digimon is big inside Bandai Namco, and in percentage compared to Pokémon is equal.
You can search for it inside Nintendo! Look:
  • Super Mario (627.51 million)
  • Pokémon (301.5 million)

D

Deleted member

Etrian Odyssey would blow up the internet because no one would ****ing know what it is and there's a 90% chance the chosen character to represent it would wield a sword so the Smash fanbase would declare war against the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I said I wanted sources on this. And I just remembered something else too. Digimon focuses more on toys than games. I'm a toku fan so I have experience in franchises that sell on toys alone, cause I look at Bandai fiscal reports and they show **** that proves the most profitable Bandai toys are usually Gundam ones, with DBZ close behind worldwide. So yeah, there's a LOT more Digimon toys. But what about the game sales and outside of Japan, where Digimon is significantly less popular?

Of course Xenosaga and Klonoa aren't going to be considered the most profitable Namco franchises lmfao. Xenosaga is Nintendo now right? Not to mention Klonoa's never been successful enough to be considered a best seller

In terms of the video game market it's still niche

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
My "goalpost" was to prove that Digimon is big inside Bandai Namco, and in percentage compared to Pokémon is equal.
You can search for it inside Nintendo! Look:
  • Super Mario (627.51 million)
  • Pokémon (301.5 million)
Mario's also had far more spinoffs and releases in general-- and that's ignoring that Pokemon is a far bigger franchise overall.

And your goal doesn't quite lineup with the initial argument being made anyways.
Etrian Odyssey would blow up the internet because no one would ****ing know what it is and there's a 90% chance the chosen character to represent it would wield a sword so the Smash fanbase would declare war against the series.
And the neogaf/resetera crowd would whine about a pedophilia-pandering franchise getting in, as they would
Neogaf outright ended up deleting and replacing a topic about Yuzo Koshiro saying he personally didn't see the point of the Switch because of how many people were attacking him for working on the EO series

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I said I wanted sources on this. And I just remembered something else too. Digimon focuses more on toys than games. I'm a toku fan so I have experience in franchises that sell on toys alone, cause I look at Bandai fiscal reports and they show **** that proves the most profitable Bandai toys are usually Gundam ones, with DBZ close behind worldwide. So yeah, there's a LOT more Digimon toys. But what about the game sales and outside of Japan, where Digimon is significantly less popular?

Of course Xenosaga and Klonoa aren't going to be considered the most profitable Namco franchises lmfao. Xenosaga is Nintendo now right? Not to mention Klonoa's never been successful enough to be considered a best seller

Namco still owns the rights to Xenosaga specifically. Nintendo owns Xenoblade and Square owns Xenogears

Last edited by a moderator:

Graizen

Smash Champion

Ok:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Ugh, don't we already have like 15 Marth clones?"

Graizen

Smash Champion
Mario's also had far more spinoffs and releases in general-- and that's ignoring that Pokemon is a far bigger franchise overall.

And your goal doesn't quite lineup with the initial argument being made anyways.

And the neogaf/resetera crowd would whine about a pedophilia-pandering franchise getting in, as they would
Neogaf outright ended up deleting and replacing a topic about Yuzo Koshiro saying he personally didn't see the point of the Switch because of how many people were attacking him for working on the EO series
Ok. It changes nothing.
Inside Nintendo Pokémon is the second.
Inside Bandai Namco Digimon is the Second and Third.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A new Digimon would blow up the internet more, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Unlike the two characters you mentioned, none of the Digimon characters are highly requested.

I could see a lot of "Okay, but why?" and "Did anyone really want Digimon?" if we were to get a Digimon rep. In other words, more confusion and frustration than genuine excitement.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Imagine thinking people railing against a franchise for pandering to degenerates like pedophiles is a bad thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom