• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
As some who's never played the game, but loves character studies, my issue comes with how they introduced and played up new Lara.

View attachment 179680

What does this girl tell you off her body language and appearance?

She's holding her arm, which looks wounded, but also a sign of feeling isolated or alone. She's dirty, like she hasn't showered in a week, and all the color is just gone, leaving the image drab and dull. Her head isn't high, meaning a lack of confidence, and she's facing away from the camera.

Old Lara is looking right at the screen pointing her guns(The weapons, not her polygon tiddies), at you with teeth clenched and pissed the **** off.

My issue with the new character is she just LOOKS like she'll piss herself if you as so much tap her shoulder. This isn't a good first impression on a 'strong' female lead, you're telling me this character is 'weak'.

I see it as the opposite. It is in fact because the cover is illustrating so well that she is in a moment of strife that we see just how much this woman goes through. And to persevere and survive through such hardships is the very definition of strength.

A "strong" female (or really any gender) lead is not one with the absent of fear or weakness. It is often one who rises above it. :)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speaking of DLC, I'd like to turn the attention to our Reddit Boi:

Warning, strong language:

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...78661186797568/piranhaplantgametester-jpg.png

He claims that Piranha Plant was more or less done in September, but at the time it was the only DLC character being worked on.

Doesn't that kind of throw a wrench into the "Reveal at VGAs" notion? I can't imagine that they'd show off a 3rd Party character, especially one from Square, like how Mewtwo was shown off.
Well, what did everyone expect? Sakurai told us that he hadn't even started on the DLC yet, so I don't know why anyone would've thought he could whip up a character in two months and have them look decent enough for a reveal at the VGAs.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, what did everyone expect? Sakurai told us that he hadn't even started on the DLC yet, so I don't know why anyone would've thought he could whip up a character in two months and have them look decent enough for a reveal at the VGAs.
The thing is, he said that, and then instantly showed off Piranha Plant right after.

Yeah, he's not part of the fighter pass, but to say he hasn't worked on DLC is a little white lie.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The thing is, he said that, and then instantly showed off Piranha Plant right after.

Yeah, he's not part of the fighter pass, but to say he hasn't worked on DLC is a little white lie.
He hasn't worked on the Fighter Pass DLC I guess.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Speaking of DLC, I'd like to turn the attention to our Reddit Boi:

Warning, strong language:

https://media.discordapp.net/attach...78661186797568/piranhaplantgametester-jpg.png

He claims that Piranha Plant was more or less done in September, but at the time it was the only DLC character being worked on.

Doesn't that kind of throw a wrench into the "Reveal at VGAs" notion? I can't imagine that they'd show off a 3rd Party character, especially one from Square, like how Mewtwo was shown off.
Also why I don't find Piranha Plant's missing spirit noteworthy. Piranha Plant was in active development at least six months before release, and this guy is proof of that.

D

Deleted member

Lara Croft should be canadian.
And Nathan Drake from Hawaii.

Meanwhile, Spyro should take place in the Netherlands, and Crash on the Galapagos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
My only question is: Why the "long" wait.

I admit I'm not graphic designer, but from the sound of things, Plant probably will be ready internally by launch, if not already is, and from the sound of it, people are already getting their download codes for Plant.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I admit I'm not graphic designer, but from the sound of things, Plant probably will be ready internally by launch, if not already is, and from the sound of it, people are already getting their download codes for Plant.
Maybe Nintendo wanted a character that wouldn't be super popular as the purchase bonus but still have some character as a purchase bonus just for extra incentive.

It appears that PP will be released (at most) 2 months after launch, maybe sooner

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe Nintendo wanted a character that wouldn't be super popular as the purchase bonus but still have some character as a purchase bonus just for extra incentive.

It appears that PP will be released (at most) 2 months after launch, maybe sooner
I get that, but considering people are getting their codes now, it's a bit odd.

I didn't get my Mewtwo code until he was actually available to be downloaded, so getting a code potentially 2 months in advance seems weird.

It makes it seem like Plant will be available at launch, when in actuality it won't be until sometime in February.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I didn't get my Mewtwo code until he was actually available to be downloaded, so getting a code potentially 2 months in advance seems weird.
Sakurai did say in (I think his most recent interview) that PP might be done as soon as 1 month after release, so maybe that's why. It seems like he's pretty much done but is getting polished

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
I’m trying to avoid spoilers, I know I’m here at my own risk, but
Can someone please get me up to speed about what Vergeben said about Steve? I heard he’s deconfirmed and I wanna know how the situation looks.

Shroob

Sup?
Can someone please get me up to speed about what Vergeben said about Steve? I heard he’s deconfirmed and I wanna know how the situation looks.
Vergeben's heard that Minecraft Content may be a Boss.

He's as confused as everyone.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
He's dead Jim. Vergeben says Minecraft representation is a boss fight

Edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Distribution and legal stuff going on in the background that is way beyond my means to figure out.... I guess? :yoshi:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Are the codes already redeemable to sort of "prepurchase" Piranha Plant?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Honestly, Nintendo could just be saving PP for the money alone. Real talk. It is planned DLC after all, even if it is free for a limited time

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Distribution and legal stuff going on in the background that is way beyond my means to figure out.... I guess? :yoshi:
I 'unno.

Stop me if I'm coming off as sounding entitled, because even I feel like I am, but it just feels weird they're not following how Mewtwo worked last time where "If you do this certain thing(Buy both/early), you get him for free AND get to play as him early!"

Pretty much everyone up to January 31st will have Piranha Plant anyway under these circumstances.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I 'unno.

Stop me if I'm coming off as sounding entitled, because even I feel like I am, but it just feels weird they're not following how Mewtwo worked last time where "If you do this certain thing(Buy both/early), you get him for free AND get to play as him early!"

Pretty much everyone up to January 31st will have Piranha Plant anyway under these circumstances.
Limited offer. If even one person is convinced to buy the game early for PP, it's a win. If even one person buys PP DLC, it's a win. It was gonna be in the game anyway

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I think they hit the holiday crunch time so they left some modes and PP out of the base game to meet the deadline. That explains the gap in the base roster numbering and the leak of day 1 mode dlc. As it is, PP looks like its in the balancing stage.

Shroob

Sup?
Though to be frank, early adopters of Mewtwo also felt a bit like he was being Beta tested, because, iirc, the following patch after his launch started the upward trend of buffing him to hell.

Shroob

Sup?
Also why I don't find Piranha Plant's missing spirit noteworthy. Piranha Plant was in active development at least six months before release, and this guy is proof of that.
Still, there's something weird about this guy, isn't there?

He obviously is legit, there's no way he couldn't be knowing the things he knew, but he also said there's going to be a day 1 patch that adds in new modes.

I dunno, something about that feels weird. I 'want' to get excited since HRC is in the game's code, but I dunno what 'new modes' could mean.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Today I had a dream that there was a nintendo stream and Paper Mario was revealed to be a new Smash character... weird dream because I don't really care for Paper Mario at all but I am also not really against it.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Between Vergeben and Rare Spirits found in the coding, I think Banjo-Kazooie is more likely than Steve. Which I have never felt. Truly a blessed day

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I think we're all set on who we want in the game so much that nothing short of leaked DLC game play is going to get us convinced our most wanted characters just aren't going to make it in the game.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Here's what he said

https://imgur.com/a/c4jBJNO

It certainly sounds like he means a boss but no fighter or AT (if it was leaker misdirect) but I'll let you read him directly
I'd assume that Steve still has a pretty good chance as DLC
Big Thanks yall. These last 12 days are gonna be hella hard to stay spoiler free. Since Steve isn’t actually deconfirmed, I’m still gonna hope for him. It’s possible that the Smash team was approached after finishing the base roster, so they put a boss in for now and will put Steve in as DLC.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

That long wait is because people get irrationally upset at DLC that comes out too early. It's really common to hold DLC back because of this.

beans

Smash Lord
The Vergeben claim on Minecraft boss in interesting.
It leaves me wonder on the exact wording and info he received.
Did the source just say "Minecraft is represented with a boss" and peaced out.
Or are there more details to it like stage or base or (something people dont think about) the boss being the fighter.

D

Deleted member

The Vergeben claim on Minecraft boss in interesting.
It leaves me wonder on the exact wording and info he received.
Did the source just say "Minecraft is represented with a boss" and peaced out.
Or are there more details to it like stage or base or (something people dont think about) the boss being the fighter.
Probably the source just said Minecraft content and left, just to recently add the information about the boss.

BTW, let’s make Steve round.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So...since my most wanted characters are already in, I cant say I really am truly excited about any of the DLC possibilities at the moment. Just curious about what the true final roster will look like. Any first party character I will be super happy about and anything else I will be pretty apathetic towards.

At the moment I kind of hope the DLC comes with more Spirit battles. It is just, more specialized, superior event matches. I love it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Doesn't the VGAs start under a week to go?

Anyways, I think this Minecraft content could still go one way or the other and all we can do now is wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom