• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
YO Ultimate has the Melee Opening Song! Cool!
Interestingly, it has no sound effects. No grunts and ingame noises.

Its pure music in which we have NEVER heard it prior.

It also means no "SUPAH SMASH BRUTHERS MEELLEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee!!!!!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, are there any 3rd Party Spirits that are JUST Spirits and not represented in any other way? I mean like Shantae who doesn't have an AT like SK or MH who has Rathalos and the two songs.

D

Deleted member

YO Ultimate has the Melee Opening Song! Cool!
Interestingly, it has no sound effects. Pure music in which we have NEVER heard it prior.

It also means no "SUPAH SMASH BRUTHERS MEELLEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee!!!!!"
It means we can make better parodies of the Melee intro now.

:4pacman:

SonicMario

Smash Master
On the Spirits thing, I think it's more likely that Spirits do deconfirm... if there's only one Fighter Pass/no more characters after the pass in this game's lifetime. And even then there's still a chance of that being wrong anyhow and we get 1 or two characters that are spirits playable anyhow.

Otherwise, I doubt another Fighter Pass will give two ****s about a character being a Spirit already in-game. That's how I feel at the moment

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Square Enix is entitled to charge what they want for their characters, just as Sega, Capcom, Konami, and Namco are.

Just because they don’t allow as much content doesn’t mean they’re assholes. It just means it’s a pricey acquisition. That’s how business works bruhs.

Don’t antagonize them just because they don’t give you everything you want.

Smash fans are entitled to nothing and get waaaaaay too mad when they don’t get literally everything they want. Well, some Smash fans, not all. It’s like they’ve never been told “no” before.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Are you implying Square Enix doesn't deserve to be **** on?
There a difference between ****ting on a company, and thinking they're the devil incarnate.
They make dumb decision.
But they also made KHIII a fantastic games for all demoes I could try, they made Octopath, they made Bravely Default, they made Dragon Quest XI, allowed Taro to make Nier Automata, allowed TWEWY to be remade, and for once, decided to WAIT for nomura to be done with KH instead forcing him to work on both KH III and FFVIIR, temporary leaving the director job on Hashimoto while he's busy with KH.

Can you imagine? For once, they're not making him Multitask!

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I personally believe Spirits ≠ disconfirmed, considering that they're basically replacements for Trophies whether it's for Wave 1 or 2, I'm still rooting for Shantae.

Also Hoping Kamiya pulls of another game announcement, and reveals Okami 2 in the works like he for Bayonetta 3. As that could possibly help Ammy's case in DLC.

And in case nobody hasn't heard the full thing yet...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find it funny how people are saying ‘Square-Enix is good/bad!’ like the company is a single person with their own thoughts. I don’t even necessarily disagree with some of the points raised, I just find it funny.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
There a difference between ****ting on a company, and thinking they're the devil incarnate.
They make dumb decision.
But they also made KHIII a fantastic games for all demoes I could try, they made Octopath, they made Bravely Default, they made Dragon Quest XI, allowed Taro to make Nier Automata, allowed TWEWY to be remade, and for once, decided to WAIT for nomura to be done with KH instead forcing him to work on both KH III and FFVIIR, temporary leaving the director job on Hashimoto while he's busy with KH.

Can you imagine? For once, they're not making him Multitask!
Just because they make good games doesn't mean they're not a ****ty company. They aren't the ABSOLUTE worst, though, so I'll agree there.

D

Deleted member

Square Enix is entitled to charge what they want for their characters, just as Sega, Capcom, Konami, and Namco are.

Just because they don’t allow as much content doesn’t mean they’re ********. It just means it’s a pricey acquisition. That’s how business works bruhs.

Smash fans are entitled to nothing and get waaaaaay too mad when they don’t get literally everything they want. Well, some Smash fans, not all. It’s like they’ve never been told “no” before.
It does mean Square is way more greedy and overestimates their own content's value. Music is not their fault, I understand that, but how much did they charge for Cloud, Midgar, the summons, Geno and Mallow that that's the most Nintendo is willing to pay when they got, like, all that other content for the other 3rd parties?
Square isn't the devil but they're unnecessarily stingy.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
every company is ****ty companies

everyone should buy my games instead

(i gotta make games first brb)

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
every company is ****ty companies

everyone should buy my games instead

(i gotta make games first brb)
I do agree there, ToddsterBrai- I mean, ToasterBrains. Everyone SHOULD buy the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, as well as the new, fully-functioning online MMO, Fallout 76!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well I watched the WOL cutscenes...

You see the new badguy and pretty much nothing of importance happens.

I think the cutscenes were made on a budget.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think porky and sylux are the big characters to look at that dont have spirits because of various things about them.

third party characters not so much as nintendo not including them as a spirit MIGHT be something negotiation-wise we really cant say, where as first party nintendo characters being absent is entirely on nintendo... so missing third parties probly dont mean much save for maybe heihachi since he was a mii costume and considered for playable before and now has nothing. feels like a good spirit candidate and namco working directly on smash makes them the loosest company to get stuff from but hes gone.

porky being such a big part of SMASH in the past makes his absences the most suspicious imo, not only a history with the mother series and important to both ness and lucas and a stage in smash but he's always been well repped in smash and now is gone completely from what we've seen and isnt even referenced for his status as a former boss fight... HIGHLY suspicious i'd say. Also while its seen as almost an impossibility at this point, localizing mother 3 and promoting that with a smash character would make sense with nintendo choosing the dlc.

sylux, while some of the other hunters are gone, was always a fairly likely dlc candidate with nintendo picking the chaarcters and metroid prime 4 being a BIG future title to promote and sylux supposedly having a major role in there... just adds even more to the chances of being DLC to have sylux missing from the spirits.

no idea if spirits "deconfirm" characters or what i think theres decent arguments on both sides but i still think in case it DOES deconfirm its worth looking at the characters who managed to avoid being spirits. with potentially only 5 dlc characters (6 with piranha plant and yes 30 potential spots have been found but lets stick with what we know for sure) and some likely being third party a missing major nintendo character or two when almost everyone else is a spirit is enough to possibly narrow down a dlc character or two. and if you dont think nintendo would be that obvious in giving away the dlc characters... let me introduce you to box theory.
Just pointing, developers don't actually loose anything or look for something in-game as return. They just develop, and they get paid for that. That's all to it. If it happens to be the publisher's wish, then it might. Otherwise it's the iconic Pac-Man. Klonoa over any if ever.

Porky and Sylux. Does those two really make people "WOW! NOW THAT'S A DLC I WANT". Not really. Sylux as DLC against Dark Samus as an echo, think about it. Also, if anything Mother, Ninten or the Masked.. err man? were more requested. Yet none would still make that sounding choice of 1 out 5 DLCs.

But your Geno Mii costume is missing :smirk:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dang some nasty cuts, but I'm glad Black Knight stayed at least.
And an Isaac one too, that's very interesting.
I'm just glad the business suit is still in. Not being able to use a purple suit is going to make Wonka less accurate, but I really needed the business suit for a number of my characters.

D

Deleted member

I mean I don’t like Square-Enix but that’s for entirely unrelated reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It seems clear that Cloud was probably one of the very last characters negotiated. In which case, this could either explain the absence of Square Enix stuff, since they didn’t have enough time, or it could mean that Verge and others somehow mistook the Cloud negotiations for another Square Enix character, through a messed up game of telephone with their sources.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
It does mean Square is way more greedy and overestimates their own content's value. Music is not their fault, I understand that, but how much did they charge for Cloud, Midgar, the summons, Geno and Mallow that that's the most Nintendo is willing to pay when they got, like, all that other content for the other 3rd parties?
Square isn't the devil but they're unnecessarily stingy.
I wouldn't say they are unnecessarily stingy; they just look stingy when compared to what the some of the other 3rd parties are willing to give.

One of the only existing rumors we still have is that there will be another Square rep, so if they were really that stingy, I doubt we'd be getting another character from them at all.

D

Deleted member

Also, while people will **** on Square for this, I have to say I like that Uematsu got to keep the rights to his music. The fact all these composers worked so hard on all these games' OSTs but just end up being owned by the company is kinda sucky so it's nice to see someone own the work they did.

The whole thing with Square and Smash is that it just sticks like a sore thumb when all other 3rd Parties are treated just like 1st Parties are in terms of content. It makes them truly feel like a part of Smash but everything from Square screams "guest character" which, I guess is what they are but still.
Geno and Mallow
Those are... Mario characters my dude.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It seems clear that Cloud was probably one of the very last characters negotiated. In which case, this could either explain the absence of Square Enix stuff, since they didn’t have enough time, or it could mean that Verge and others somehow mistook the Cloud negotiations for another Square Enix character, through a messed up game of telephone with their sources.
Not possible with the timeline.
>Vergeben knew that EVERYONE was back from Wii U, even DLC (so Cloud) from his main source for smash?
>Later in August know that there is Square-Rep but his main smash source mistook that with Cloud negociation?

Doesn't add up chief.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Actually, the spirits list being incomplete could tie in with the day-1 patch leak. Perhaps in addition to new modes, some spirits will be added as well such as the style savvy one.
Get ready people, we are getting those SE spirits. :troll:

Patch Notes - 12/7/2018
  • Cloud, his stage, its music, everuthing related to SE has been removed from the game. The only thing left is the unequipable Cloud spirit.
-Fixed

Just because they don’t allow as much content doesn’t mean they’re ********. It just means it’s a pricey acquisition. That’s how business works bruhs.

I know they are an enterrpise first and foremost but it is really disappointing. One would expect them to try to work together but it seems like not much between Nintendo and SE has changed. Everything there seems like the bare minimum. It doesnt look good. Forget about comparing it other companies, this doesnt look well even on its own. I am not going to demand more content but I wont deny my disappointment for the lack of content. I hope you understand.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Is Geno's mii costume in?
Honestly if its not, I do find that to be strange.
Are there any other character licensed mii costumes that were in previous games that did not make it back some how?
Tails or chocobo for example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom