• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Sylux and Porky being absent from Spirits/Boss roles does seem noteworthy, especially because them being potential character picks could be a way to tie them in with certain announcements,

like a Mother 3 Rerelease for Porky

or drumming up Hype for Prime 4 with Sylux
If Sylux became dlc, I'd start questioning reality when Metroid gets the most new characters in Smash.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
These are the most notable of not being spirit

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost
Most of these are 3rd Parties, so I wouldn’t exactly call most of these notable.

And as always, everyone forgets about KOS-MOS.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Sylux became dlc, I'd start questioning reality when Metroid gets the most new characters in Smash.
:ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin:

It would be the same number of newcomers in fire emblem from smash 4

And Pokémon and Mario has gain more newcomers than that through out the history of smash

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
No, I'm gonna make a bold statement: At the VERY LEAST, we aren't getting a new SE rep. The evidence is right in front of our faces.
If I'm wrong, sue me, but I am becoming more and more confident that this is the case.
Y'know what? I believe Vergeben, but I applaud you being adventurous. Makes discussion less repetitive.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So first

The only things we don't have is literally a Name on the CPU battle list, Cloud could very well be added in a way or another a la Sonic in the SSE.

Secondly what is that ****ing double standard here on smashboard?

First people are all "YO THEY MANAGED TO GET GENO'S PNG!!!! SO THEYRE OKAY WITHT HEM" and now they're "Yo, there no way Square get DLC"
Y'all are pushing a narative that seems favorable to your storyline or just either overly optimistic or negative.

Sure, Square-Enix are being stingy as hell but c'mon, are you implying that with the mad money they made with Smash 4 DLC they wouldn't try to get more?
Or hey- ever though that maybe they didn't want to have more Spirit?

Namco have like 4-6 spirit in total (almost as much as SE) lost all Mii costume, So I guess they're ****ing stingy and Smash Ultimate Development is canceled because they don't want to develop it anymore then?
It's Square Enix. This is far from the dumbest thing they've ever done business-wise.
They seem to be allergic to money.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would honestly go as far as saying that list of, “ZOMG THEY DONT HAVE A SPIRIT” means literally nothing.

If any of those 3rd party characters were in the game in literally any capacity, why the **** would they be only a spirit?

Why would they acquire and pay money for Banjo, Lloyd Irving, ****ing Sora, Doomguy, Heihachi, or a number of others just to use a png file?

Move onto the next bit. It means literally nothing. I don’t even know why people would expect them to have spirits in the first place.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I would honestly go as far as saying that list of, “ZOMG THEY DONT HAVE A SPIRIT” means literally nothing.

If any of those 3rd party characters were in the game in literally any capacity, why the **** would they be only a spirit?

Why would they acquire and pay money for Banjo, Lloyd Irving, ****ing Sora, Doomguy, Heihachi, or a number of if others just to use a png file?

Move onto the next bit. It means literally nothing. I don’t even know why people would expect them to have spirits in the first place.

But.
But muh Geno Jpeg

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
My guess is the earthquake maybe..? I've heard similar things have been done in the past but can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head. I doubt the grinch would have anything to do with it.
One Piece anime. The grand war. An earthquake happened at the time of airing those episodes and because White Beard (which was the main focus of those episodes) had the Guru Guru (earthquake) fruit. They stopped airing the episodes for a week or two. So yeah.
Nice avatar btw.. Blue Water ;)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm pretty sad about Robin's that they're only called Chrom's friend.
well they spent more time last game talking about Chrom, so that’s reasonable for Pit...not Palutena though
They could say girlfriend and boyfriend but I guess they wanted to respect the player choices.
Robin has already ****ed the whole family, so it’s not like that name wouldn’t work
:ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin:

It would be the same number of newcomers in fire emblem from smash 4

And Pokémon and Mario has gain more newcomers than that through out the history of smash
:ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::lucario:
:sheikmelee::zeldamelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee:

And less than these.

Though it's still weird because Metroid hardly knows for its characters but whatever.
Equal to Mario, less than Pokémon/Zelda, more than the rest

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
One Piece anime. The grand war. An earthquake happened at the time of airing those episodes and because White Beard (which was the main focus of those episodes) had the Guru Guru (earthquake) fruit. They stopped airing the episodes for a week or two. So yeah.
Nice avatar btw.. Blue Water ;)
Can we, for god's sake, stop with the earthquake that happened 2 months agos? It HAVE nothing with said character

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think porky and sylux are the big characters to look at that dont have spirits because of various things about them.

third party characters not so much as nintendo not including them as a spirit MIGHT be something negotiation-wise we really cant say, where as first party nintendo characters being absent is entirely on nintendo... so missing third parties probly dont mean much save for maybe heihachi since he was a mii costume and considered for playable before and now has nothing. feels like a good spirit candidate and namco working directly on smash makes them the loosest company to get stuff from but hes gone.

porky being such a big part of SMASH in the past makes his absences the most suspicious imo, not only a history with the mother series and important to both ness and lucas and a stage in smash but he's always been well repped in smash and now is gone completely from what we've seen and isnt even referenced for his status as a former boss fight... HIGHLY suspicious i'd say. Also while its seen as almost an impossibility at this point, localizing mother 3 and promoting that with a smash character would make sense with nintendo choosing the dlc.

sylux, while some of the other hunters are gone, was always a fairly likely dlc candidate with nintendo picking the chaarcters and metroid prime 4 being a BIG future title to promote and sylux supposedly having a major role in there... just adds even more to the chances of being DLC to have sylux missing from the spirits.

no idea if spirits "deconfirm" characters or what i think theres decent arguments on both sides but i still think in case it DOES deconfirm its worth looking at the characters who managed to avoid being spirits. with potentially only 5 dlc characters (6 with piranha plant and yes 30 potential spots have been found but lets stick with what we know for sure) and some likely being third party a missing major nintendo character or two when almost everyone else is a spirit is enough to possibly narrow down a dlc character or two. and if you dont think nintendo would be that obvious in giving away the dlc characters... let me introduce you to box theory.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
He is literally a third party character m8. Nintendo have 0 right on him, it's all Square-Enix.
Which is true, but he was specifically made for a Mario game, a first-party Nintendo franchise.
He SHOULD be a first-party character, but he isn't because Squeenix are assholes. I consider him an honorary first-party.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I said it's a possibility, not the reason. My God.

Sakurai says a lot of things, maybe he forgot about it when he said it. Nintendo would care about the earthquake.
But seriously, doesn't Issac AT look off to you. Out of all ATs. I need a 3D modler here :/
They're not going to waste all that money/resources developing a fighter only to scrap them due to silly reasons ........

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which is true, but he was specifically made for a Mario game, a first-party Nintendo franchise.
He SHOULD be a first-party character, but he isn't because Squeenix are ********. I consider him an honorary first-party.
You said "technically", not "honorary".

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But.
But muh Geno Jpeg
Not sure if sarcasm but Geno is a Smash fanbase want specifically from North America. I love Geno.

Banjo is from an IP that would require Microsoft, a console creating software competitor. It isn’t far fetched to believe he wouldn’t be there. The only reason it’s a “notable” absence is because people wanted them playable. That’s literally it.

Doomguy is not a character that people really suspected would be in.

I’m not really sure why any Indie or Reimu or whoever would be considered a “notable absence” when we have Shovel Knight and Shantae as spirits. It doesn’t seem suspicious at all.

Sora makes no sense only as a spirit based on licensing. You either go all the way dealing with Disney or not at all imo.

There’s a myriad of reasons why these exclusions really aren’t that notable. This is also going under the assumption that having a spirit means 100% that spirits cannot be made playable as a Downloadable Fighter.

I simply just don’t think that list is notable in any capacity, because having anything with them in the game would hint at further collaboration in the first place.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They're not going to waste all that money/resources developing a fighter only to scrap them due to silly reasons ........
That means Isaac never considered to be playable, so I'll ignore this post. Who wants to boycott earthquakes with me?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not sure if sarcasm but Geno is a Smash fanbase want specifically from North America. I love Geno.

Banjo is from an IP that would require Microsoft, a console creating software competitor. It isn’t far fetched to believe he wouldn’t be there. The only reason it’s a “notable” absence is because people wanted them playable. That’s literally it.

Doomguy is not a character that people really suspected would be in.

I’m not really sure why any Indie or Reimu or whoever would be considered a “notable absence” when we have Shovel Knight and Shantae as spirits. It doesn’t seem suspicious at all.

Sora makes no sense only as a spirit based on licensing. You either go all the way dealing with Disney or not at all imo.

There’s a myriad of reasons why these exclusions really aren’t that notable. This is also going under the assumption that having a spirit means 100% that spirits cannot be made playable as a Downloadable Fighter.

I simply just don’t think that list is notable in any capacity, because having anything with them in the game would hint at further collaboration in the first place.
It was complete Sarcasm because people keep antagonizing Square-Enix.

D

Deleted member

Geno and Mallow’s spirits are listed under the mario series, so at least if they do get in they’ll be listed as mario characters which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom