• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is why I can't take you guys seriously. You constantly reach incredibly hard to and try to find evidence in favor of Geno's inclusion that doesn't actually exist. How is it irrelevant? You said yourself that Geno was significant enough to get a Mii costume and I explained why that doesn't mean anything. Many characters had Mii costumes in Smash 4, several of which were deconfirmed like Ashley, Knuckles, Takamaru, and Skull Kid, yet you only focus on the Mii costumes of characters that did get in like K. Rool, Inkling, Isabelle, and Chrom.
LOL, point out where I said significant enough to get a Mii Costume.
I said he was POPULAR ENOUGH to get one.

All those characters you listed? Relevant and constantly used in this decade or already existed in Smash 4.
Geno? Well, as you told me, a literal who nobody would recognize from a decades old game.
He is the only Mii Costume like this. Who's /that/ "obscure."

So, pick one.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay so

I'm a little behind but apparently the song from Style Savvy Shining Star has blank stage data associated with it or something like that? I don't want to get my hopes up but I am ****ing giddy at the idea of a Style Savvy rep. My dream is Sophie because I fell in love with Style Savvy Fashion Forward but I suppose the Stylist is more likely complete with ten fabulous looks.

Final Smash is giving people a makeover. It's time. God I hope this is all true. Not getting my hopes up but I am so on board.

Post one character you wish to be a Spirit. I'll start:
Deirdre from FE4 (who wouldn't use this gorgeous art sadly)
Marina Liteyears. Makes the opponent only use grapples. Grab type, natch. She will never be playable, so I might as well have her in in some form!

D

Deleted member

There is almost zero chance we get 30 DLC characters. But considering that they seem to be future-proofing like this and leaving open the possibility of 24 more characters down the road, along with Nintendo wanting to support the Switch for a long time, it wouldn't surprise me to see at least a season 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Farewell Paisano.
See you once the game's out.
Relax I'm not leaving lol. I'm just taking a break from general discussion until the game is out. Might hang out in the soical thread or something.

link2702

Smash Champion
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually reach 100 characters. 100 would be a way to make a statement that this really is the ultimate smash. I’d suspect though that many would definitely be echoes.

D

Deleted member

When I was looking for Environmental Noises, I found some Hey! Pikmin music. So that's a thing...

I also reminded myself that the Mona Pizza and Mike songs are back.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I am 100% confident those slots are them future-proofing, but DEFINITELY not for 30 characters.

With how much Nintendo is pushing DLC, I wouldn't put it past them to have more Fighter Passes after this one. Maybe some Echoes here and there. But I sincerely doubt Sakurai has anything particularly planned out beyond the 5 we have on hold now.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I doubt 30 DLC characters but I would be surprised if the 5 characters in the fighter pack were all they did for this game. This is going to be the Switch game (it already is with the broken records of pre-orders for it) so they'll definitely support it for a long time and a competitive character-based game is perfect for continuous DLC.

D

Deleted member

You know, this really has me hoping that we will have a fighting mode featuring some Assist Trophies going against each other as part of an update of as a separate DLC option in late 2019 or early 2020. I mentioned this the other day and laid the ground work for it, although they may wind up doing something else entirely. I'm aware that Sakurai still thinks it's a badge of honor for a character to be an Assist Trophy, but the Internet looks at the Assist Trophy as more of a negative meme nowadays that it's proof you don't have what it takes to run with the big dogs. Having something where the ATs that can fight with the fighters (and even a few that can't just to make those fans happy) could go a long way in extending the life of a game immensely, and wouldn't require that much effort given the assets are already in the game, and given the limitations you would impose in the fighting mode, you wouldn't need to use Final Smashes, Wave Dashes or advanced tactics, or anything truly fancy. The ATs in Ultimate seem to behave as if they would be advanced AI fighters in the original Nintendo 64 game anyway; give them a few basic punch and kick attacks, holds, and maybe a flashy special (and also limit their item pool to mimic the SSB rules... which could also be used to honor the 20th anniversary of the franchise... I dunno, I'm rambling), and bam! You also wind up creating an in-universe exploration as to how Little Mac, Isabelle, and Dark Samus were able to get promoted into the "Big Leagues" in the official canon.

It would probably help ease the bitterness some users may have gotten lately about how the Fighters Pass fighters will shape up because I think it would be a nifty idea to root for a Melee-type roster of combatants fighting under Super Smash Bros. rules. Sure, it doesn't have the same oomph, but the matchups based upon the 25 fighters I laid out as suitable for offensive combat in this mode (Zero vs. Gray Fox, Waluigi vs. Isaac, Dillon vs. Shadow, Akira vs. Guile, Alucard vs. Rodin) wouldn't be as awful-sounding.

Again, highly unlikely. This would be a massive update, and they'll probably just leave the ATs in purgatory as is as a reminder to be thankful of just being in the game, but I'd like to be allowed to do something fun with them instead of randomly summoning them in battle and knocking them around.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think a Season 2 isn't something one should necessarily expect but it is something to keep in mind with these 30 slots effectively serving as futureproofing.

Also the only reason I'm not still typing in all-caps and losing my mind is Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman vaguely denying that Geno and Sora were deconfirmed LOL

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think a Season 2 isn't something one should necessarily expect but it is something to keep in mind with these 30 slots effectively serving as futureproofing.

Also the only reason I'm not still typing in all-caps and losing my mind is Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman vaguely denying that Geno and Sora were deconfirmed LOL
Just don't give up hope on any Square rep.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
What if we get another FF7 character as the SE character and they come with some music to fix the injustice that is the current FF music selection?

I would gladly take Sephiroth or Tifa if we can get One Winged Angel in this game.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm only expecting 10 or 15 of those 30 characters slots to be used in the end. It's definitely a case of futureproofing.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

what's this talk about 30 DLC characters?

I don't know whether I want a Huniepop rep ironically or unironically.
There are 30 placeholder spots for figthers in the code, and assuming 6 of them are for the ones we already know about, that leaves the possibility of 24 more characters.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Cla I have been waiting for you to save this thread all day
Go there
You gotta take risks to be happier king
I'd love to but new environments are scary and I'd have to get a grasp on a whole nother group of people and thats a lot to ask of a guy with autism
what's this talk about 30 DLC characters?

I don't know whether I want a Huniepop rep ironically or unironically.
I want Kyu in this game more than I want to live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom