• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Two things, one: oh no
Secondly: Someone in a server I'm in has the actual rom itself, it was from a deleted 4chan thread that can't be accessed anymore. She's trying to rip the music
is there any place to keep up with her progress? cuz i really want that battlefield theme
Like everyone else said, Layton fans don't seem like the kind of people to cause trouble.

More like Tumblrites and Game Journalists after Doom Eternal got revealed :troll:

The Grinch Leak was a Trojian Horse, and we fell for it.
we? buddy some of us knew that **** was fake from the get-go. it's just that geno/isaac/banjo fans were so desperate for any sort of glimmer of hope for their characters that they took to backing a shady leak.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I bear no ill towards Ashely, there were just other characters I personally wanted before her and thought she wasn’t that likely.

I know she’s popular and had support but she never really screamed a large Smash request toe unlike Waluigi/Isaac/whoever.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I bear no ill towards Ashely, there were just other characters I personally wanted before her and thought she wasn’t that likely.

I know she’s popular and had support but she never really screamed a large Smash request toe unlike Waluigi/Isaac/whoever.
I legitimately had no idea Ashley had a fanbase until she got deconfirmed for Sm4sh. I was baffled.
On another note, I remember thinking Mewtwo fans were stupid because I figured there was no way anyone who was cut from Melee would be brought back. Then the game came out and Doc was in it and I was wrong, and then sure enough Mewtwo was confirmed.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Back in July I really, legit thought Ashley had a chance, clearly I was a moron.

I was pretty zealous about her, she was a character I loved since I was small. I got really crazy.

I just wanna apologize for my past self. You guys had to put up with some real stupidity.
Rare ya see anybody actually apologize for that stuff nowadays. Good on ya.
Tbh, I thought she had a chance, but I didn't think she was a lock or anything. Considering the fact she hadn't been shown as an AT, she is very popular amongst Smash fans, and the recent release of Wario Ware Gold.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Good luck with that.
With all our minds put together, we might have enough brainpower to screw a lightbulb.

I haven't even touched the prequel trilogy at this point.
i have this goal to get every layton game and Im still working toword it. Yeah, I could PLvsAA as a Layton game doubled as a Ace Attorney game. Best of both worlds that has the best shipping of LaytonxWright

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Whilst we are talking about character fanbases,I really don't understand why everyone feels the need to bash characters if their fav gets in, or complain if theit fav doesn't get in?

D

Deleted member

No one actually wanted Incineroar in Smash until he got leaked. Fact.
Not trying to diss you guys, I'm just saying.

Yeah, and no one wanted to see K.Rool in Ultimate until Ridley got revealed. Fact.
Hard /s.
The madness will never end.
A never-ending cycle of pain, misery, and memes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Us RH fans just really want someone from the series. We're pretty chill from what I've seen.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Whilst we are talking about character fanbases,I really don't understand why everyone feels the need to bash characters if their fav gets in, or complain if theit fav doesn't get in?
"Because it's fun!"

I don't know. There's almost always a problem in the community, no matter what. Some people are just that biased.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
@GoldenYuiitusin
I mean...I've wanted Incineroar in the beginning. I thought Decidueye would be cool as well, but I wanted Incineroar more.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Wait why are we trusting a guy that made his gamefaqs account this month and he gave us screenshots that you can easily edit in HTML LOL

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Us Skull Kid fans get the bandwagon label, but that's fine compared to the **** some of the other fanbases get. Before August, people barely acknowledged our fanbase existed. Progress!

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I might as well discuss my picks with colored text and in-depth explanations.
Steve - Vergeben has mentioned we're getting Minecraft content of some kind, and I believe it'll be of the playable character type. Minecraft is a cultural icon, having sold 154,000,000 copies across practically every modern platform and having a monthly player base of over 91,000,000 players as of last month. This might not seem relevant, but this makes Steve one of, if not the safest choice for a DLC character. He'll sell like hot cakes no matter what, and his inclusion draws young Minecraft players into Smash similarly to how Mario or Pokémon might. Sakurai has talked about Minecraft and how much he enjoys it, and most importantly, Minecraft is the basis of a new cross-play partnership between Nintendo and Microsoft. Pretty convenient that all of this happened around the time Vergeben leaked that we're getting Minecraft content, huh?

Square Enix Rep - We're getting a Square Enix rep of some sort, but I have no clue who it'll be other than not Geno. There is a case to be made for many characters, but if I had to guess it's either going to be Sora or Erdrick in a literal 50/50 coin flip.
  • Sora has one of the most anticipated games of all time coming out soon, and Sora's inclusion would be a perfect way to promote it further. Interesting statement is that the director of Kingdom Hearts 3, Tetsuya Normura said that he would work on a Nintendo Switch port when the PS4 and Xbox One versions were finished, which they now are. Of course, this could just be typical PR speak like when Nintendo said they wouldn't consider Smash DLC until the game was done, but then worked on Piranha Plant before that. Going back to Tetsuya Normura, he and Sakurai have a positive relationship after working on Cloud's inclusion in Sm4sh together, and it just so happens that Disney needs his permission whenever they want to use Sora. I believe that with Square Enix at their side, Nintendo has a good chance of negotiating with the Big D for Sora's inclusion, given that Nintendo and Disney seem to have a good relationship, and other negotiations could've tilted things in Nintendo's direction. That being said, I recognize that Disney can be difficult to work with, as stated by NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler , which is why I'm not as confident in his chances.
  • I say Erdrick over Slime because Cloud got in over Moogle or Chocobo; he's essentially the Marth of his series. It's either Erdrick or a character named "Hero" that has skins referencing all of the heroes. Dragon Quest is immensely popular in Japan, to the point where there's an urban myth about a non-spoken Japanese law stating that games in the series have to be released on weekends so as to not disrupt Japanese productivity. Dragon Quest is Square Enix's second best selling and highest grossing series, only after Final Fantasy (and Space Invaders, but that doesn't count since it's an arcade game and not an ongoing series), and considering Sakurai's statement about there not being many "major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash," it would make sense for him to go after such a popular series. "But tehponycorn," you say, "Dragon Quest is only popular in Japan!" Yes, but Square Enix as of late has been making a large push to increase the series' worldwide popularity, and what better way to do that then release a Dragon Quest character in Smash alongside a worldwide release of Dragon Quest XI S? That being said, Dragon Quest has its own share of licensing issues and controversies, such as its composer being an anti-LGBTQ war crime denier, and the two other studios, Bird Studio and the Armor Project that Nintendo would have to negotiate with for a Dragon Quest character's inclusion.
  • Honorable mentions go to Lara Croft and Chrono, both of whom are owned exclusively by Square Enix and are massive in their own rights.
Doom Guy - Nintendo and Bethesda have been on the up and up as of late, and they've spoken with Nintendo about Smash Bros. prior to DLC, which makes me thing that a Bethesda rep of some sort would be on Nintendo's character list presented to Sakurai. Sakurai makes an interesting comment about John Romero, the creator of DOOM, in the Sakurai x Normura interview, mentioning him alongside other important game designers. What makes it more interesting is that he mentions Romero alone as an "international" game designer, which stems back to his statement about series with worldwide popularity. DOOM is notable as being one of the first FPS games and revolutionizing the FPS genre, and has a place in gaming history. In a game that seems to be celebrating gaming as a whole over just Nintendo, DOOM Guy is more likely than you'd think.

Lloyd Irving - The Tales of series is another massive third party franchise with good worldwide popularity. You could even say it's a multimedia franchise as it's spawned multiple books, mangas, anime series, movies, and even a theme park attraction. Heihachi may seem like the more obvious choice, but Sakurai couldn't implement him in Sm4sh, and demand doesn't exist to force him to implement Heihachi similar to how he changed his mind on Ridley. I'll be honest and say I don't know as much about Lloyd or the Tales of series despite being a fan, so I refer to VashTehStampede VashTehStampede , who's made plenty of material advocating for Lloyd's inclusion, such as The Case for Lloyd, which is a good place to start.

Euden/Nintendo Promotional Rep - This is really a bone throw to Nintendo, as they're likely going to use one or two of the fighters to promote a new or upcoming IP of their's. Dragalia Lost makes the most sense to me as it signifies the new relationship between Nintendo and Cygames, who have been in negotiations recently if Hitagi is to be believed, and their push into the mobile market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom