• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
So Hitagi’s been backpedaling on pretty much all of their claims, so I guess it’s safe to assume at the very least that one, Spirits don’t deconfirm; second, we are most likely not getting Steve or Katalina.

Anything else major I miss? I don’t check this thread much anymore since I’m busy with work and other things.
First, I want to say I am thankful for Sakurai on this lovely Thanksgiving.

Second, I don't think Hitagi backpedaling necessarily means the opposite of everything they said is true. Even if he/she's full of it, I think Steve and Spirits deconfirming both seem very within the realistic realm of possibility.

D

Deleted member

“Oh no! A child playing a character they like and one I don’t like and are most certainly enjoying the game with that character? This is the worst thing that could happen! My fun is ruined!”

:glare:
I didn't mean it that way :(

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly? If some kids play in a silly way that seems annoying to adults? Big deal. They're having fun. You get bad matchups all the time.

Steve is a great choice for Smash and is highly recognizable. Getting way more players than before is only a good thing.

Anyway, if we're just getting a stage, it's way more likely to be unrelated to the Fighter's Pass. Piranha Plant is outright proof we can get unrelated DLC. He's going to be separately available without a stage(though music isn't clear) at some point. It's possible we could get just a Minecraft stage.

Steve with his own stage and music being on the Fighter's Pass has a very good chance of happening(and not because of Verg so much as how strong of a choice he is on his own).

D

Deleted member

I just don't want my Online 1-on-1 no items matches to be spoiled by button-mashing 8-year-olds playing as Steve.
So you don't want a character because a stereotype associated with it's playerbase?

Well then, I don't like Smash because it's full of people who take a party game way too seriously.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So you don't want a character because a stereotype associated with it's playerbase?

Well then, I don't like Smash because it's full of people who take a party game way too seriously.
It's not a stereotype, though.
jk

D

Deleted member

It sounded that way, since you got peevish about the possibility of a child playing a character from a game they liked.

This shouldn’t be an issue.
Honestly? If some kids play in a silly way that seems annoying to adults? Big deal. They're having fun. You get bad matchups all the time.

Steve is a great choice for Smash and is highly recognizable. Getting way more players than before is only a good thing.

Anyway, if we're just getting a stage, it's way more likely to be unrelated to the Fighter's Pass. Piranha Plant is outright proof we can get unrelated DLC. He's going to be separately available without a stage(though music isn't clear) at some point. It's possible we could get just a Minecraft stage.

Steve with his own stage and music being on the Fighter's Pass has a very good chance of happening(and not because of Verg so much as how strong of a choice he is on his own).

I'm sorry
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth could you delete the original post? :(

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Please no
Just make it a stage
You may not want Steve, but if he gets in, he'd be the first of many things for Smash:

The first western third party Smash character
The first Smash character to have indie roots
The first Smash character that's owned by a current rival company

If you ask me, he'd be a legitimate guest of honor

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
More button mashing 8 year olds would be online because of Steve
...And it probably wouldn’t be that effective since Steve’s moveset would probably be more on the technical side assuming he gets in, I imagine him potentially being based mostly around setups similarly to PAC-MAN, or maybe based more around resource management. So, be glad they’d be playing a character that’d make them easier to beat at low level ahaha.

D

Deleted member

You may not want Steve, but if he gets in, he'd be the first of many things for Smash:

The first western third party Smash character
The first Smash character to have indie roots
The first Smash character that's owned by a rival company

If you ask me, he'd be a legitimate guest of honor
You're right... :(

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking forward to seeing the full spirits list.
If there's a non-Fighter Spirit called 'Piranha Plant', I might change my mind about spirits being disconfirmations. However, if every major Mario baddie gets a spirit except PP, I'd say that's pretty telling.

D

Deleted member

I want Steve's stage in Ultimate to be a salt mine :troll:.
I know that you are joking, but please not that.

I want it to be a morphing stage in some regards: each time you play the terrain changes, and maybe in matches with time limit some stuff could happen during the battle that changes the form of the fighting zone (some players taking terrain bricks, using TNT, or even Creepers blowing apart while taking part of the stage with them).

Maybe from time to time a NPC could appear, and it starts building a lot of things in the middle of the fight.

If it was just a static place, i would be dissapointed... Because a Minecraft stage has the potential to be fun and wacky,

osby

Smash Obsessed
...And it probably wouldn’t be that effective since Steve’s moveset would probably be more on the technical side assuming he gets in, I imagine him potentially being based mostly around setups similarly to PAC-MAN, or maybe based more around resource management. So, be glad they’d be playing a character that’d make them easier to beat at low level ahaha.
Dunno, didn't Sakurai said he made Cloud and Bayo easy to play for potential new players? Or am I just making stuff up?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
To be fair, Orbital Gate Assault was a crazy complex stage by Smash standards.
This kind of stuff makes me understand why stages like this and Rainbow Road didn't come back. As someone who has made a few smaller games, I can just imagine the prospect of "remaking that stage that was a total ***** to create the last time and it took a ****ing year", and being like "nope".

D

Deleted member

This kind of stuff makes me understand why stages like this and Rainbow Road didn't come back. As someone who has made a few smaller games, I can just imagine the prospect of "remaking that stage that was a total ***** to create the last time and it took a ****ing year", and being like "nope".
I don’t know what to say about Rainbow Road...
Mostly because we have the Mario Kart 8 stage back in Ultimate, and i feel that it works similar to Rainbow Road (feel free to correct me, because it is always possible to be wrong).

D

Deleted member

So, is Doom Eternal coming to the Switch or something? I haven't heard any news about it since Quakecon.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Oh... so I heard people are getting early copies of Smash now...

How do I delete ProfasiaGaming from Youtube?

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don’t know what to say about Rainbow Road...
Mostly because we have the Mario Kart 8 stage back in Ultimate, and i feel that it works similar to Rainbow Road (feel free to correct me, because it is always possible to be wrong).
Mario Kart 8 wouldn't need much updating though. The 3DS stages all needed a fresh coat of paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom