• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
the amount of ****posting when steve is confirmed will be funny
Incineroar and Steve were the butt of so many jokes during The Grinch saga, if they get in over everyone else (besides Ken) i'm gonna laugh.

and then pour one out for Geno, Banjo, and The Chorus Kids.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
We know from Cloud that their approach to Smash is business-first, no-fun-allowed
Sakurai specifically asked for Cloud, noting that he was the most popular FF request.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/
"Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try. "

D

Deleted member

Also, Fate did, like, two Visual Novels. The Extra series is now their main game series which started off as a really bad RPG and went to become Extella, a Musou-like game. Don't ask.
There's also Grand Order which is a mobile RPG and it makes more money than most franchises in Smash can only dream of.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Oh really? My bad lol. She's from that super popular Fate anime though, right?
If you're familiar with Melty Blood, it's by the same parent company. It's just that one series had the luxury of getting a Colbert Bump via video game spin-off as opposed to an anime adaption. Both started off as visual novels though, so it's understandable where the confusion would lie.

Realistically, the only problem Arturia (Saber is a class name, not the actual name of the character) faces is her origin as an eroge novel character. Sakurai can choose to ignore it entirely because unlike most hentai novels, the world she comes from is extremely fleshed-out and filled to the brim with lore and world-building. The spin-offs only expand upon it (while removing the sex values) while keeping her personality and abilities consistent throughout.

Just refer to @Shishœ 's support thread on Saber. There's also a few videos showcasing what she can do in an open environment (as in, not having to dig through spoiler-heavy visual novel content). I recommend looking up her move-set on Fate/Unlimited Codes, Nitroplus Blasterz, Fate/Extella, etc.

Here's an example of stuff she can do:

A quick side note to Shishœ. You might wanna check out the links you posted in the support thread. They're broken now.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Incineroar and Steve were the butt of so many jokes during The Grinch saga, if they get in over everyone else (besides Ken) i'm gonna laugh.

and then pour one out for Geno, Banjo, and The Chorus Kids.
I do remember a bunch of comics depicting Steve as some sort of villain and the Grinch hoax characters as some sort of saviors to Smash that would successfully keep him out.

Ironic.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Knowing Nintendo, they'll probably leave in some data indicating exactly who the DLC characters are when the game launches.

:4pacman:
What if it's like Cloud and Bayonetta being hinted at with extra Ike/ZSS data?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
BECAUSE I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF

Calling you Luigi is weird, can I call you President? I love you, President.

-Warriors is not canon and did not exist back in Smash 4. Skip.
-Outrealms are canon to FE lore so it is, in fact possible that Lucina saw how Marth fights
-It isn't even some deeply complex fighting style, it's a fencing one. The whole point is to have Lucina as the refined and regal one while Chrom is the unrefined and brute one. Which, you know, reflects their ingame stats which is also completely different.
-Literally the only thing that supports "Lucina and Chrom fight the same" is the "Who taught you to fight like that?" "My father!" exchange which doesn't mean **** lorewise because that's not how you develop a sword style(I don't ****ing see Alm fighting around like Mycen, do I?) and it's just supposed to be a retroactive funny quote because Lucina is talking about Chrom so the excahnge translates as:
"Damn this ***** fights well who taught you how to do that?"
"Lol you"
Honestly? Go for it, I love you too Shi, ~President

So, Saber's page is a ****ing goliath, but I read the personality section. Thoughts:
-****....a horse girl? We stan.
-She's a really complex character. And also really sympathetic. I definitely feel for her.
-Interesting thing about her gender. Don't see that bought up with her much.
-She has a nice design. I like the hair.
-She's not a typical "tsundere" which is a big plus. She has a lot of depth.

I like Saber. If she got in I wouldn't be too mad. I'll learn more about her when I get a new phone and get F/GO, though there is a girl in that game I love more than any other lmao. (and a boy)

So yeah...Sabe cool.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I mean...

Cloud got a stage with a ton of fun elements that weren't actually needed. He also got a fresh alt costume that wasn't actually needed. He also got 2 songs just like other franchises in 4. i think you're being too strict there. Squenix was totally willing to play ball with Sakurai. The issue with the music does not come from Squenix but from FF's composer.

Really the Squenix characters come on a case by case basis. I feel Geno's a name to keep in mind at least.

Also, "Geno Shoots for the Stars" is the tagline I want too, if Geno ever gets in!!
Hmm. I'll agree that the Advent Children costume is odd, even if it could still be seen as Square-pushed advertising (albeit then for a 10 year old movie...). Even still, his representation was restricted to the absolute bare minimum: a character, a stage, two unremixed music tracks (the required amount for the 3DS version), no trophies. Hell--his logo is FF, but his franchise is considered 'Final Fantasy VII'. That's how little Sakurai had to work with here.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Not really. This is as meh as it gets right here. These are all incredibly safe picks, and there's no off the wall hype-worthy additions.

THIS is a good DLC lineup
  • Sora/Erdrick
  • Steve
  • Doom Slayer
  • Euden/Nintendo promotional rep
  • Lloyd Irving/Heihachi
A+ **** right here.
This is a pretty solid line up. It’s realistic and it has some pretty good choices. I’d buy the fighter pass in a heartbeat if Steve,Doomguy,Heihachi, and Erdrick were DLC.

D

Deleted member

If you're familiar with Melty Blood, it's by the same parent company. It's just that one series had the luxury of getting a Colbert Bump via video game spin-off as opposed to an anime adaption. Both started off as visual novels though, so it's understandable where the confusion would lie.

Realistically, the only problem Arturia (Saber is a class name, not the actual name of the character) faces is her origin as an eroge novel character. Sakurai can choose to ignore it entirely because unlike most hentai novels, the world she comes from is extremely fleshed-out and filled to the brim with lore and world-building. The spin-offs only expand upon it (while removing the sex values) while keeping her personality and abilities consistent throughout.

Just refer to @Shishœ 's support thread on Saber. There's also a few videos showcasing what she can do in an open environment (as in, not having to dig through spoiler-heavy visual novel content). I recommend looking up her move-set on Fate/Unlimited Codes, Nitroplus Blasterz, Fate/Extella, etc.

A quick side note to Shishœ. You might wanna check out the links you posted in the support thread. They're broken now.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbK8z6hoezQ
I think people act like the "eroge VN origin" is a bigger problem than it really is. Smash already has a M-Rated character in Bayo and the ero scenes are so discomnected from the whole series they don't have to be acknowledged at all.

Noted, I'll probably update that OP when this semester ends and I'm completely free actually.
Honestly? Go for it, I love you too Shi, ~President

So, Saber's page is a ****ing goliath, but I read the personality section. Thoughts:
-****....a horse girl? We stan.
-She's a really complex character. And also really sympathetic. I definitely feel for her.
-Interesting thing about her gender. Don't see that bought up with her much.
-She has a nice design. I like the hair.
-She's not a typical "tsundere" which is a big plus. She has a lot of depth.

I like Saber. If she got in I wouldn't be too mad. I'll learn more about her when I get a new phone and get F/GO, though there is a girl in that game I love more than any other lmao. (and a boy)

So yeah...Sabe cool.
Saber is probably one of the few good examples of how to do a historical gender switch with your character, as not only was that implemented into her story, but it was also used to talk about gender roles and sexism. But now? Oh man, Oda Nobunaga? Actually, she was a chick and she had a Stand. Miyamoto Musashi? He had boobs(in another timeline).

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Not really. This is as meh as it gets right here. These are all incredibly safe picks, and there's no off the wall hype-worthy additions.

THIS is a good DLC lineup
  • Sora/Erdrick
  • Steve
  • Doom Slayer
  • Euden/Nintendo promotional rep
  • Lloyd Irving/Heihachi
A+ **** right here.
See, for me, that's a crapload of MEH. Sora/Lloyd are alright, and Steve would probably be fun in a weird way, but... MEEEEH

At least the other one has Banjo. Geno, Rayman and Dixe would be fun too.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hmm. I'll agree that the Advent Children costume is odd, even if it could still be seen as Square-pushed advertising (albeit then for a 10 year old movie...). Even still, his representation was restricted to the absolute bare minimum: a character, a stage, two unremixed music tracks (the required amount for the 3DS version), no trophies. Hell--his logo is FF, but his franchise is considered 'Final Fantasy VII'. That's how little Sakurai had to work with here.
I think the very creative and reference-ridden stage, alt costumes, very lovingly made moveset, it wins out for me to show that Squenix isn't THAT bad.
And like I said the music was not Squenix's fault from what I understand. FF's composer is incredibly possessive.

It's probably considered FF VII because FF VII has become a franchise of its own.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think people act like the "eroge VN origin" is a bigger problem than it really is. Smash already has a M-Rated character in Bayo and the ero scenes are so discomnected from the whole series they don't have to be acknowledged at all.

Noted, I'll probably update that OP when this semester ends and I'm completely free actually.

Saber is probably one of the few good examples of how to do a historical gender switch with your character, as not only was that implemented into her story, but it was also used to talk about gender roles and sexism. But now? Oh man, Oda Nobunaga? Actually, she was a chick and she had a Stand. Miyamoto Musashi? He had boobs(in another timeline).
The Fate franchise plays with the Multiverse concept no differently than Marvel comics and DC honestly. Even in those companies, there are gender swaps of other characters. My personal favorite Fate servant is Mordred though.

Seriously, look at her:
__mordred_and_mordred_fate_apocrypha_fate_grand_order_and_fate_series_drawn_by_meo_1271884559_...jpg

I also have a pvc figure of the armored version (without the helmet). It's awesome.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
The Fate franchise plays with the Multiverse concept no differently than Marvel comics and DC honestly. Even in those companies, there are gender swaps of other characters. My personal favorite Fate servant is Mordred though.

Seriously, look at her:

I also have a pvc figure of the armored version (without the helmet). It's awesome.
What isn't awesome is a certain aspect of her backstory/creation...

Noipoi

Howdy!
SO THEY'RE FINALLY HERE
PERFORMING FOR YOU
IF YOU KNOW THE WORDS
YOU CAN JOIN IN TOO!
PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER
IF YOU WANT TO CLAP
AS WE TAKE YOU THROUGH
THIS STINGY™ RAP!
HUH!

F! F!

AERITH DIES!
AND THEN THERE'S AERITH, SHE'S dead.

F! F! AERITH'S DEAD!
F! F! NOW THE SONG IS OVER!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He's a hero who just so happens to be one of the most used fighter archetypes used in Japanese media. Not very interesting, don't you think? Especially with the **** like Naruto making anime looking ninjas more popular than ever
Since there's no Naruto in Smash, that seems interesting enough to me.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
No, I am not expecting more Pokémon but there are many fans out there who would gladly take more Pokémon. Pokémon is the number 1 franchise in the world. Heck, many people didnt expect that we would get 2 more Mario newcomers and we did. I am fine with whatever we get for DLC. I am sure that whatever Sakurai decides from Nintendo´s list will be great. And lets not kid ourseles saying that more Pokémon is an impossibility but it also doesnt mean that a new Pokémon is a lock.

Also, in which way did I take your words out of context? :confused:
Wow, you really didn't get what I was trying to say and went on answering things I didn't point! well anyway..
Of course anyone would be glad to have more, human. I'm saying there's planty enough already. And no, it's not the number 1, that would be Mario and Sonic. What does that even has to do with what I said!? and who said anything about another Pokemon inclusion!? and last, that "out of context" quote wasn't pointed at you. Relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom