• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I apologize if that triggers you, but I have no interest in the games and therefore don't want to play the games
It doesn't trigger me, but alright. Just letting you know, you're missing out on some legendary games.:p

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You don't have to be. They're ever so charming that even if your not the biggest fan of Metal Gear you'll still enjoy then. Some highlights are DeDeDe (Are you sure he's not a penguin?), Kirby (Watch out for what? That pink marshmallow?), and Zero Suit Samus (Colonel! Samus took her clothes off!)
Those do seem pretty comedic. I'll have to look those three up

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I apologize if that triggers you, but I have no interest in the games and therefore don't want to play the games
I don't think it's a trigger at all. If you're not interested in the games you're just not interested. No harm done. I do feel like your missing out though. In terms of video games, Metal Gear has more heart than almost any game I've ever played otherwise. They're something truly special. Especially beneath the surface.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Looks like the far superior Codec conversations may be gone though.

I like the Guidence's but the Codecs were just so much more fun.
This sounds like the kind of thing to get an obligatory "Sakurai bias!" type response. That's just a meme at this point, though.

D

Deleted member

Senran... Senran Kagura? Or another Senran? Senran Kagura is the only Senran I know of.
The Senran that triggers a certian person I know here. Oops, fired a shot. Forgot my safety was off.
Yeah. I imagine that would produce alotta salt. Either that, or another Fire Emblem character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I don't think it's a trigger at all. If you're not interested in the games you're just not interested. No harm done. I do feel like your missing out though. In terms of video games, Metal Gear has more heart than almost any game I've ever played otherwise. They're something truly special. Especially beneath the surface.
I can understand that. From what I understand though, the series kind of died off after the 4th one

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The Senran that triggers a certian person I know here. Oops, fired a shot. Forgot my safety was off.
Yeah. I imagine that would produce alotta salt. Either that, or another Fire Emblem character.
Does that mean that my profile picture and signature induce salt since they're from Senran Kagura?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can understand that. From what I understand though, the series kind of died off after the 4th one
I think you're thinking of the 5th one. The 4th one, Guns of the Patriots, was ludicrous and kicked off Metal Gear Rising, Peace Walker, and Metal Gear Solid V. After V though, yeah, Kojima is gone and the franchise is basically dead. Like all of Konami's franchises.

D

Deleted member

So, if I got this right, the expected DLC so far is supposed to be a Nintendo sword character, a Square Enix character, a Namco character, and a Wester 3rd Party character?
Does that mean that my profile picture and signature induce salt since they're from Senran Kagura?
Maybe. Probably. Almost certian.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I think you're thinking of the 5th one. The 4th one, Guns of the Patriots, was ludicrous and kicked off Metal Gear Rising, Peace Walker, and Metal Gear Solid V. After V though, yeah, Kojima is gone and the franchise is basically dead. Like all of Konami's franchises.
Yeah, it's the fifth one I was thinking of. People say it got bad once they released the survive game

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You don't have to be. They're ever so charming that even if your not the biggest fan of Metal Gear you'll still enjoy then. Some highlights are DeDeDe (Are you sure he's not a penguin?), Kirby (Watch out for what? That pink marshmallow?), and Zero Suit Samus (Colonel! Samus took her clothes off!)
I'll add that one of the things they really did is they played on Snake being a fish out of water. He was the first guest in this Nintendo fighting game so everything was foreign to him. They also played off of the characters traits. Campbell would gives these grandious descriptions of the characters that would make them seem stronger than they are and Snake was great in his response to them (He flies by.....farting).

The Kid Icarus ones were always hoaky. The conversations in Smash never really capture the magic of Uprising.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Really wish Kojima had a part in developing smash. I feel like he'd do cool things.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Okay.

But we have new MGS music and actual MGSV: The Phantom Pain representation.

I don't think Codecs would be sacrificed. ...Hopefully.
They seem to have been sacrificed...would be lots of recording

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Didn't David Hayter say he wasn't asked to record new lines for Ultimate? I can't really see codecs coming back unless they made new ones for all characters.
The japanese VA for the Colonel also died a few years back which may have a part in why Codecs aren't returning. Then again i could be an absolute fool and be wrong.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Thank you friend I actually had not found DQ music that wowed me, most of my opinion had been on the DQ11 music. As that music was very underwhelming for me. I will admit my opinion comes from inexperience with the series, but from the few I had heard I did not like. That being said thank you for showing me these amazing music tracks, it does help in seeing if I would be excited for DQ music in Smash. The Ocean one is very beautiful and the rest are also very interesting. They sound very Disney music like in their sound, in that it has that sound of fantasy behind it. I still prefer Yoko Shimomura's music, but I wouldn't mind seeing how these tracks would be implemented in Smash Ultimate. If there was music from DQ heroes due to possible problems, what music tracks do you think they will use?

Ah thats good to know that Sugiyama would not be a problem in getting the DQ music in Smash Ultimate. That being said the major roadblock now is Square, as they seem to not be willing to cooperate in allowing more music in Smash. Thank you for helping me understand the DQ music situation more, much appreciated. I can now more clearly compare chances between Sora and a DQ rep getting taking the Square spot.
Yeah, I hear that DQ11's music isn't on par with the rest of the series, but I haven't played it myself yet. It's unfortunate that you got a bad impression of the series' music, but I'm glad I could help.

As for your question, did you mean "DQ Swords" when you said "DQ Heroes"? Swords is the one Sugiyama didn't compose for, so I'm just going to assume you're talking about that. What tracks do I think they'd use from it? I guess if they were going to Final Fantasy it and get only two tracks, it'd probably just be the regular battle and boss themes from the game. They sound like this:

Go For Broke!

Don't Let Your Guard Down

I personally don't think that'd happen, though. If DQ were to get in Smash, I'd expect to hear the Overture and most of the series' battle themes to go along with it. Due to the fact they'd most likely be the MIDI versions, they'd probably sound like how they do in Dragon Quest Heroes. I'll post those versions of the themes below:

These versions also seem to be the ones used in "Theatrhythm Dragon Quest", so I'm pretty sure they'd be the ones used in Smash. To sum up, if DQ got in Smash, I'd mostly just expect to hear the main theme and most of the battle themes. That's what I think is most likely.

Most of these songs sound a lot cooler in the orchestral versions, like DQ3's Fighting Spirit for example. You can probably find those yourself if you're interested in what the orchestral versions sound like. I doubt we'd be getting those in Smash, though. But I could be wrong, who knows.

Edit: Just in case someone misinterprets what I said at the end, I am not saying that we'd get the orchestral versions in Smash. That is unlikely to happen unless Sugiyama has a sudden change of heart regarding the orchestral tracks (which is why I said "But I could be wrong, who knows"). Since he doesn't seem to mind the usage of the MIDI versions, those are most likely what we would get should DQ be included in Smash. Just thought I'd clear that up if there was any confusion.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah, I hear that DQ11's music isn't on par with the rest of the series, but I haven't played it myself yet.
I played DQ11 and I don't like the music. It gets very repetitive. I just ended up muting my tv while playing the game and listening to my own music or watching YouTube videos

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Most of these songs sound a lot cooler in the orchestral versions, like DQ3's Fighting Spirit for example. You can probably find those yourself if you're interested in what the orchestral versions sound like. I doubt we'd be getting those in Smash, though. But I could be wrong, who knows.
The problem with the orchestral versions is that Sugiyama has never allowed them to be officially released outside of Japan. All the Japanese versions of the games use the orchestral songs in their soundtracks, but the English-language versions are always forced to use MIDI synthesized ****.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
The japanese VA for the Colonel also died a few years back which may have a part in why Codecs aren't returning. Then again i could be an absolute fool and be wrong.
No, I believe you're correct about the Colonel's Japanese VA unfortunately, which could very well have played a part in the exclusion as well.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You ain’t making a fool of yourself
Really upset that the Sonic song that sampled a Malcolm X speech didn't make it into Smash
What new Sonic songs are in Ultimate (besides Fist Bump)

D

Deleted member

Why would I be going toe-to-toe with a mod?
I once made the mistake of joking about Senran in Smash around them. Let's just say they're buttons are easier to press than my movie theater's claw machine.
But, anyways...
Nah, you're not wrong.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I once made the mistake of joking about Senran in Smash around them. Let's just say they're buttons are easier to press than my movie theater's claw machine.
But, anyways...
But all I said about Senran Kagura is that my profile picture and signature are from the series, nothing about it being in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom