• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Honestly, I hope someone buys Castlevania from Konami. Preferably Bandai Namco if I had to choose.

You ever see a mad Priest try to excisie a demon that doesn't exist?
No, I haven't. I guess that's what you're getting at, huh?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Speaking of Sonic Games, has anyone here actually played Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood? I remember getting the game along with the exclusive stylus (Which are just rubber sonic characters at the top of them), and knowing that the game is one of the worst ones I've have ever played.
Haven't played it, but heard that the music was abysmal (Which is unusual for a Sonic game)

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Woah, DLC was chosen recently? Are you sure? I could've swore Sakurai said in the direct that DLC was chosen back when development for the game began. Can someone please clarify this with proof?
i personally believe that statement about the DLC being finalised some time after the direct was actually about the rights of the Guest characters of DLC being officially given the A-OK.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm guessing they had a general list with a few characters in the pipe with Nintendo finalizing the final choices a bit before Nov. 6.
Goodness, and this whole time I thought DLC was decided back in 2015. I thought that was the reason Rex couldn't be added as DLC

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Speaking of Sonic Games, has anyone here actually played Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood? I remember getting the game along with the exclusive stylus (Which are just rubber sonic characters at the top of them), and knowing that the game is one of the worst ones I've have ever played.
Yes and anyone whos shocked that Bioware sucks now has never played Chronicles to know they had it in them to suck all along.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wh...What now?
C A N O N
Literally my least fav sonic game next to CD and Forces

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
i personally believe that statement about the DLC being finalised some time after the direct was actually about the rights of the Guest characters of DLC being officially given the A-OK.
So you think the Nintendo dlc characters were decided back in 2015 or 2016 and the third party characters were just now chosen?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel like people misunderstood the Rex costume as him saying DLC was picked at the same time as the base roster.

That would certainly not be the case.

Negotations and talks about the characters certainly were held before that tweet went out, but it wasn't all the way way back in December of 2015 that they decided the DLC.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So you think the Nintendo dlc characters were decided back in 2015 or 2016 and the third party characters were just now chosen?
If they got a release plan for them already on the market odds are good that they were pre chosen around 2015-16. maybe even 2017 but thats at the latest. Smash 4 didn't have a pass because the DLC was released as it just happened.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I feel like people misunderstood the Rex costume as him saying DLC was picked at the same time as the base roster.

That would certainly not be the case.

Negotations and talks about the characters certainly were held before that tweet went out, but it wasn't all the way way back in December of 2015 that they decided the DLC.
Then does this mean DLC was decided on much more recently? I've been hearing so many different things, I don't know what to believe

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Obviously not all 3rd party characters had the rights negoiated at the same time. Some were probably given the ok during the development(the 1st DLC character and 2nd one, maybe 3rd) while say at least one DLC guest was just given the OK during that time(the 5th character and maybe 4th).

Last edited:

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Now that we have enough information, I can confirm "Nintendo" (as in "Nintendo will choose the DLC characters for Smash") means "Nintendo of Japan"
Look at the company in general from a Japanese perspective, they are deciding the DLC.

I'll try to analyze what this means for Geno, Waluigi or Sora (to name some fan favorites)

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If they got a release plan for them already on the market odds are good that they were pre chosen around 2015-16. maybe even 2017 but thats at the latest. Smash 4 didn't have a pass because the DLC was released as it just happened.
Well that goes against what The Duke of Dorks was saying. He was saying that it was decided much more recently

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Then does this mean DLC was decided on much more recently? I've been hearing so many different things, I don't know what to believe
It takes times to hold negotiations and write a plan down, but it certainly wouldn't have just been ''Okay. We got it down" in November of 2018 and then they start work immediately after.

That plan would certainly not date back to 2015 though. That's just silly.

D

Deleted member

Oh? So he has multiple move sets in that game?
Late response, but no. Wright was overhauled at one point, and his playstyle completely changed. Most of his animations are shared between both iterations, it's just what the attacks did, and what optimal Wright tried to do that chaged.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Haven't played it, but heard that the music was abysmal (Which is unusual for a Sonic game)
The music is like a mix between a midi, and low-quality music that you hear in some 8-bit game. The sound effects are either annoying, squeaky, or just plain abysmal. The combat system is okay (Scratch that, it's ****ing exhausting and boring), but I really ****ing hate how some parts you have to do the trailing with your stylus (Tails/Cream's skills are the biggest offenders because rather of doing amount of heals based on how good you did it, it instead fails altogether if you missed just once). It just doesn't feel polished and the graphics are rushed since everything in this game is literally made in artpieces, and only the character models are 3d. Not to mention those ****ing enemys than can revive themselves if you don't take out all of them in one swing.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now that we have enough information, I can confirm "Nintendo" (as in "Nintendo will choose the DLC characters for Smash") means "Nintendo of Japan"
Look at the company in general from a Japanese perspective, they are deciding the DLC.

I'll try to analyze what this means for Geno, Waluigi or Sora (to name some fan favorites)
I mean...you can't really confirm a thing. I don't mean to be rude at all.
You're probably right, but confirmed is a big word we should have learned not to use.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
It takes times to hold negotiations and write a plan down, but it certainly wouldn't have just been ''Okay. We got it down" in November of 2018 and then they start work immediately after.

That plan would certainly not date back to 2015 though. That's just silly.
I'm just trying to understand whether FE Three Houses or Pokémon Gen 8 are likely, especially since Rex couldn't make it in

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Well that goes against what The Duke of Dorks was saying. He was saying that it was decided much more recently
Just saying, this is how it goes with games like these. Tekken, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and others all had their Season Passes planned long in advanced. IDK who this Duke of Dorks is but I imagine they don't really get the business end of these things.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
I mean...you can't really confirm a thing. I don't mean to be rude at all.
You're probably right, but confirmed is a big word we should have learned not to use.
Unless Sakurai and Nintendo of America are lying, he literally (Sakurai) mentioned how he had to remind Nintendo (of Japan) that King K. Rool was popular.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Obviously not all 3rd party characters had the rights negoiated at the same time. Some were probably given the ok during the development(the 1st DLC character and 2nd one, maybe 3rd) while say at least one DLC guest was just given the OK during that time(the 5th character and maybe 4th).
And what about Nintendo characters?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm just trying to understand whether FE Three Houses or Pokémon Gen 8 are likely, especially since Rex couldn't make it in
I doubt it, but I also wouldn't completely rule it out. It's obvious certain recent characters are being given ''Here take this for now." like Rex and Spring Man, but I don't think it necessarily means new content is completely ruled out as DLC possibilities.

I just also wouldn't put TOO much faith into it either.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If that's the case, why did Sakurai say that they couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 into the roster?
That's what I want to know. This is so confusing. I thought Rex couldn't make it in because he was too new

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just saying, this is how it goes with games like these. Tekken, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and others all had their Season Passes planned long in advanced. IDK who this Duke of Dorks is but I imagine they don't really get the business end of these things.
His info was based off of a tweet from Sakurai that said that the dlc lineup was now complete, and this tweet was from a couple of weeks ago

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You also have to remember that even by some REALLY off chance DLC was chosen all the way back in 2015. Nintendo would know more about the future of Nintendo than anyone and thus would potentially be able to rule over which new content to include and what not to include.

I still don't think 2015-2016 is the right time frame for them to have started the discussions of DLC though. Sakurai was most likely still heavily into work on veterans and the baseline newcomers at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom