• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd personally also like to see an update to how Yoshi and Samus look in Smash 5. I thought they both looked pretty lacking.

For Samus (other than how much I hate the OM design) I thought they looked very plastic and just had very blurry textures wherever there was supposed to be the darker detail colours.

For Yoshi they just seemed to look awkward all the time. Always either incredibly jagged compared to other characters, clipping, textures/colours not really going well together or usually a combination of the three just make him look pretty ugly to me even if he was technically graphically better than Brawl's Yoshi.

I don't know if it was just me though, simply because I was saying it ever since they were on the Smash website and nobody seemed to understand what I meant at the time.

OM is my favorite design of Samus's suit.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally also like to see an update to how Yoshi and Samus look in Smash 5. I thought they both looked pretty lacking.

For Samus (other than how much I hate the OM design) I thought they looked very plastic and just had very blurry textures wherever there was supposed to be the darker detail colours.

For Yoshi they just seemed to look awkward all the time. Always either incredibly jagged compared to other characters, clipping, textures/colours not really going well together or usually a combination of the three just make him look pretty ugly to me even if he was technically graphically better than Brawl's Yoshi.

I don't know if it was just me though, simply because I was saying it ever since they were on the Smash website and nobody seemed to understand what I meant at the time.

I want Brawl Ike back.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Wii U Ike is a glow up my friend.

He went from twunk to straight up hunk.

Even my friend who has never played Fire Emblem or Smash and has seen Wii U Ike is like ''He can get it."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya'll are thirsty for Ragnell, let me tell ya.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
With Mania being a success and Horses.. I mean, Forces being a fiasco, I would love if Sonic were updated to his classic, chubby, mega adorable look. I like plenty of modern Sonic games, but he will never look right to me. If not, then add a straight up clone with different hitboxes/hurtboxes and call him "Classic Sonic".

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Better than snark.
Debatable.

I'm starting to lean into the rumor that Smash Switch isn't a new gen and will just revisit Gen 1.

If that's the case we might just get a Gen 7 Pokemon, because outside of Meowth or Eevee I don't think anyone from Gen 1 is iconic enough to represent that era of Pokemon for the 900th time, especially when Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Charizard say more than enough for that Generation.
Blastoise, easily. He was just added to Pokken as well. Hmm, very strange coincidence. :upsidedown:

Tiny Kong for new DKC for unpure reasons.
Ha ha ha... :urg:

blackghost

Smash Champion
One element we havent discused is that girahim or (in my preference) midna are likely as they wouldnt require a new model due ti being assist trophies. Skull kid as well. We've already seen this before with mac.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Debatable.

Blastoise, easily. He was just added to Pokken as well. Hmm, very strange coincidence. :upsidedown:

Ha ha ha... :urg:
I really want Blastoise in Smash to have the iconic matchup between Charizard and Blastoise. However, I know that would be kinda unfair to Venusaur, even though I infinitely prefer Bulbasaur myself.

That's why I'd like a fully-evovled Pokemon Trainer with the stamina mechanic gone.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The problem is that we don't have a usable Ganondorf in BotW.
He's (as every story/main quest element) a joke as a boss.
His character design is useless to something as Smash.So at max we can have a BotW Link and Zelda.
I never understood the BotW hype, people talk as it was game-breaking and changed Zelda forever.
BotW have good ideas, but nothing new or ground-breaking at all.
You think dividing as the "classic Zelda" and "BotW" is more important than "Toon" and "Not Toon" games...
TloZ:SS is the epitome of motion-controls and then they go for other route to the next game (maybe because it wasn't popular).
It's possible (and I want a lot) that they work to make a main-quest game again and not a open world Zelda in the next one.

TLoZ: Breath of the Wild is a great game. But is not a REVOLUTION.
Please stop treating BotW as the first open-world game ever.
Botw is special because of what it did:
It simultanously revamped approach to zelda and redefined open world as not meaning overstuffed with meaningless tasks. Its not really a debate what it accomplished
You dont have to like the game but belittling it just projects how much about it you havent noticed or considered.
Zelda has 4 mountountop games: the original, ocarina, twilight princess, and botw

To tie this to smash tp anf botw wild deserve proper representation. Not bad clones and an awful uncreative moveset gor the female lead. Hw demonstarted how much there is to pull from smash shouldn't be outdone by a side entry based of dynasty warriors

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If Captain Toad gets in then no changes to be done to Peach however. Honestly if Toad got in as just Toad. I doubt you could really see much fuss over Peach's B being the same. They're a species after all.
I guess this is just an assumption, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai removed the Charizard, Blastoise, and Venesaur Pokeball Pokémon in Brawl because of the inclusion of Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur as playable characters. We also didn't see Greninja's original form Froakie as a Pokeball Pokémon, but we did get the other two starters from that gen.

Sakurai also wouldn't let Engineer Link be in the background of the Spirit Tracks stage when you're playing as Toon Link, despite Wind Waker Link being a different character with a different outfit.

Sakurai does seem to be ok with 8bit versions of characters sharing the same screen as the playable version though.

It is possible Sakurai might not want a version of Toad playable while Peach pulls out a Toad in her moveset.

Clearly the best solution is to just not include a playable Toad. :troll:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
One element we havent discused is that girahim or (in my preference) midna are likely as they wouldnt require a new model due ti being assist trophies. Skull kid as well. We've already seen this before with mac.
That was not the reason Little Mac got it. Little Mac's model is not even the same as his assist trophy. Just because they have a model doesn't mean they are going to get in.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I would rather them just keep the count of Pokemon at 6

Cuts don't bother me. Even if they cut Mewtwo for someone else I wouldn't be upset.

I know Pokemon in Smash is a revolving door and no one is safe.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner of the last Sonic poll was Nack the Weasel (Or Fang the Sniper as you prefer). The others weren't as popular, but Bark managed to do better than Ray and Bean combined.

Next will be the one and only Animal Crossing seres poll focusing on the four most wanted characters. Your choice are Isabelle, Tom Nook, KK Slider, and Mr Resetti.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Begin.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regardless of what the next Pokemon game ends up being, I'm still sticking with my original guess.

Base roster has a Gen VII newcomer, and DLC may possibly have a newcomer to promote the new Pokemon game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Regardless of what the next Pokemon game ends up being, I'm still sticking with my original guess.

Base roster has a Gen VII newcomer, and DLC may possibly have a newcomer to promote the new Pokemon game.

Greninja's inclusion makes me think the eight gen guy is on the main roster. That's just me but it'll be super weird if that pass up gen 8 for gen 7. Gen 8 is objectively more important for the franchise than 7.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
You know I wonder. Smash 3DS had 12 unlockable characters and Wii U only had 8. And the fact that the Wii U version originally intended for all characters to be available at the start. I wonder if unlockable characters will be scrapped for the Switch version.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Greninja's inclusion makes me think the eight gen guy is on the main roster.
The only difference is that X and Y came out a full year before Smash 4. This upcoming Pokemon game might not come out until after Smash.

Getting a Pokemon from Gen VIII (or Gen I or whatever this new Gen is supposed to be) isn't impossible, but I don't think it would be the priority when there's so many other games that were released closer to when development started. Since Sun and Moon was released at the same time when Sakurai supposedly started on this Smash, I'd assume he'd rather use someone from Gen VII so he could pick a relevant Pokemon who's already proven themselves to be popular among fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know I wonder. Smash 3DS had 12 unlockable characters and Wii U only had 8. And the fact that the Wii U version originally intended for all characters to be available at the start. I wonder if unlockable characters will be scrapped for the Switch version.
Possibly. It would be a good opportunity to prevent leaks from happening.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
With Mania being a success and Horses.. I mean, Forces being a fiasco, I would love if Sonic were updated to his classic, chubby, mega adorable look. I like plenty of modern Sonic games, but he will never look right to me. If not, then add a straight up clone with different hitboxes/hurtboxes and call him "Classic Sonic".
I disagree with what you said with what you said about Sonic Forces being fiasco. Not that it was a great game, for it was more of an okay game, but Sega themselves said that game did well. Here is proof they said that.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/02/07/sonic-forces-sold-well-according-to-sega/

Now, I know Forces could have been better, but I wouldn't really call it a fiasco, even if they did not say how many units the game sold aside from saying it did well.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No thanks. I don't want modern Mario fighting Classic Sonic. I'm sick of 3D Classic Sonic after Forces.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm not going to lie, I would not complain if the entire game just leaked right now and spoils everything, because I'm desperate for news.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I hope so, I know a lot of people want more unlockables, but I don't think that they can recapture that same feel from back when we were unlocking characters in Melee like everyone seems to want, it's just not possible in this day and age (not to mention how much we've all grown up since). Unlockable characters is generally a dated concept imo, single player modes have evolved so much in the fighting game genre that they don't need to lock characters behind them to get people to play them anymore, having to unlock characters in Smash 4 really felt like nothing more than a chore that needed to get done.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I hope so, I know a lot of people want more unlockables, but I don't think that they can recapture that same feel from back when we were unlocking characters in Melee like everyone seems to want, it's just not possible in this day and age (not to mention how much we've all grown up since). Unlockable characters is generally a dated concept imo, single player modes have evolved so much in the fighting game genre that they don't need to lock characters behind them to get people to play them anymore, having to unlock characters in Smash 4 really felt like nothing more than a chore that needed to get done.
Uhh, while there's some truth to your quote, I'd still enjoy secretively unlocking character, personally. There's a endless charm to it for me.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm kinda hoping that unlockables are more akin to Melee or Brawl. Yknow, how they actually tested your skill and you had to put in work to unlock them. It's a good way to shape yourself into a better player, plus adding new fighters to the roster is fun. I see no downsides.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm kinda hoping that unlockables are more akin to Melee or Brawl. Yknow, how they actually tested your skill and you had to put in work to unlock them. It's a good way to shape yourself into a better player, plus adding new fighters to the roster is fun. I see no downsides.
The reason why traditional fighting games franchises abandoned unlockable characters is due to the concerns of the fighting game community, which is a factor irrelevant to Smash. Sakurai even noted that tons of people still enjoy unlocking them.

If anything, what we need more of are unlockable newcomer characters. Brawl only had 4 and Smash 4 only had 3.

Last edited:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I love unlocking characters, even if I know all of them, but I absolutely see the justification for having the entire roster available from the start. It still think it would be nice if an option was provided to allow players to choose whether they the roster unlocked from the start or not.

Honestly though, if Sakurai decides to have the entire roster available right away, then some more meaningful unlockables should be provided for those who like to have some sort of progression. For example, alternate costumes or a ninth and tenth colour for each character would make for fantastic unlockable content, imo.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I still really really enjoy unlocking characters in fighting games. I also imagine it's probably still really exciting for kids who're playing these games for the first time compared to people on forums like this who've been through the whole song and dance a bunch of times, or just people who don't follow the series closely (I knew plenty of people irl who enjoy Smash but didn't know who the unlockables in 3DS/WiiU were at launch).

They should have unlockable characters but also have an easy password you can enter that unlocks everyone for people who don't want to bother or are trying to get a bunch of setups ready for a tournament ect..

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
The reason why traditional fighting games franchises abandoned unlockable characters is due to the concerns of the fighting game community, which is a factor irrelevant to Smash. Sakurai even noted that tons of people still enjoy unlocking them.

If anything, what we need more of are unlockable newcomer characters. Brawl only had 4 and Smash 4 only had 3.
I feel the ideal solution is to have a code of sorts to unlock all the content from the get-go. You know that little code you can do in Smash 4 that while the game is loading, you can press A, B, X, and Y at the same time to erase all save data? Why not do something like that and have it open an option to unlock everything from the get-go? Heck, throw in options so you can set it to only unlock characters, stages, trophies, etc.

Best of both worlds; those who like unlockables can have fun unlocking new content, and those who don't like unlockables (including the competitive scene) don't need to put up with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom