• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Custom moves would be good unlockables if they weren't randomised and instead say, have you clear classic, Break The Target, All Stars etc with the corresponding character.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm kinda hoping that unlockables are more akin to Melee or Brawl. Yknow, how they actually tested your skill and you had to put in work to unlock them. It's a good way to shape yourself into a better player, plus adding new fighters to the roster is fun. I see no downsides.
Events are fun too, like having to compelete the mario stage with a '2' in the time clock.

Imagine if you had to beat a level with Pit and kills a bunch of demons in order to fight/ unlock Bayonetta?

Pokemon Movie trailer drop update

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
Greninja's inclusion makes me think the eight gen guy is on the main roster. That's just me but it'll be super weird if that pass up gen 8 for gen 7. Gen 8 is objectively more important for the franchise than 7.
Gen 7 is still getting promoted by Nintendo/The PKMN Company. How in the world is an unrevealed, unfinished game more important than a revealed, finished, and well selling game?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gen 7 is still getting promoted by Nintendo/The PKMN Company. How in the world is an unrevealed, unfinished game more important than a revealed, finished, and well selling game?
First true console game for the franchise, that seems kind of big to me.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I guess I'd be okay with them dropping unlockable characters but I do think I'd be a bit sad. It always felt so great to watch your roster and stage list grow and grow as you played. Even if I'll inevitably have the unlockables spoiled for me somehow just because of browsing the internet I also want there to be unlockables for the kids. I know kids spend a lot of time online these days but I get the impression they aren't as tuned in to the same channels I am so I think they'd be less likely to get spoiled. I just remember how cool it was unlocking characters I didn't know about in melee and brawl as a youngster and I want the same for the next generation.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Unlockable characters is dated now. I get that we are all old and want the old thrills back but with the Internet around that is nigh impossible unless you completely shut off from all Nintendo news in social media and news websites.

I would be perfectly fine with the entire roster revealed before release and available from the start.

As for custom moves, if they come back I want more series original moves not just slightly altered versions of them. The fact they didn't bother giving DLC characters this feature does make me wonder if it will be scrapped entirely, however.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
I’d be fine with unlockable characters so long as it’s not a massive waste of time like Melee Mewtwo.

Also known as “leaving your Gamecube on overnight.”

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ah I remember doing that once I found out he was unlockable. Thankfully had two controllers so it wasn't that bad!

I quite enjoyed clearing classic mode with every character (I love collect-a-thons, so the trophies are always something I thrive for - low-key my favorite single player goal in Smash) to get a character but I wish not to repeat that again for that reward.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I messed up the fan on my Gamecube by trying to unlock Mewtwo. I only found out years later that using four controllers cuts that twenty hours down to five, but even then, that's a ridiculous amount of time that you need to play four player matches with all human players in order to unlock a single character.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think I messed up the fan on my Gamecube by trying to unlock Mewtwo. I only found out years later that using four controllers cuts that twenty hours down to five, but even then, that's a ridiculous amount of time that you need to play four player matches with all human players in order to unlock a single character.
Well, personally, I unlocked Mewtwo back during Melee by fighting CPU characters, so I don't recall needing three other human players to unlock Mewtwo. I personally did fine without other human players.

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
I really don't see a Gen 8 rep getting into Smash (at least at launch). That's along the lines of expecting Primal Groudon/Kyogre (ORAS didn't really have any brand new Pokemon so this is the best example) to get into Smash 4 at launch. ORAS released a month or two after Smash 3DS came out, just like Pokemon Switch/Gen 8 is likely to release a few months after Smash Switch.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really don't see a Gen 8 rep getting into Smash (at least at launch). That's along the lines of expecting Primal Groudon/Kyogre (ORAS didn't really have any brand new Pokemon so this is the best example) to get into Smash 4 at launch.
I'd argue an even better comparison would be the idea of getting a FE10 character in Brawl as it released in the same year Brawl was originally intended to. But we ultimately got Ike based off Path of Radiance, a game that was released the same year Brawl's roster was finalized. Unless we're getting clones, I don't expect any Gen 8 characters.

If anything, the real question I'd ask is if Sakurai would be willing to reserves slots for an ARMS or a XC2 character similar to a Pokemon X and Y newcomer, since those games would have been released ~one year after the roster was probably finalized.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
"No Future" isn't a good measure as Nintendo keeps randomly resurrecting old series.
They don't happen very often and it's not really random. The last series to be resurrected was Kid Icarus, which is pretty much mostly thanks to Sakurai. He put Pit in Smash, which got people to care about the series again, and then gave him his own game.

Before that was Golden Sun I guess, but in a 2007 interview it was revealed that Nintendo had asked Camelot to make a 3rd installment before, but they didn't want to immediately jump into it and half-ass it.

Before that was Excitebike, which was just a small simple Wiiware title. Also while we hadn't seen an Excitebike game since 64 the Excite series was still alive at that point.

Before that was Sin and Punishment. I don't know the details behind the games development, maybe the virtual console sales and reception of the original game made Nintendo interested in giving the series another chance? Maybe Treaure was persistent in making a sequel? I can't really say for sure.

Before that was Punch-Out which out of all the forgotten NES titles was probably the most demanded to be revived, and I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo revived it on the Wii because they saw the potential of using the motion controls to punch and dodge.

I also wouldn't count Mother since Mother 3 was in development hell for over a decade.

I guess there is also Starfox if you don't count the 64 remake, but it's one of Nintendo's more prominent franchises, so it's not much of a surprise that they finally made a new game. Same goes for the Metroid series too I guess.

Edit: How could I forget about Donkey Kong Country? I guess since Donley Kong games still came out consistently I forgot that there was quite a large gap between Country games. The franchise was a huge success, so it makes perfect sense that they would bring it back.

Oh, and Luigi's Mansion was brought back simply because Miyamoto wanted to...

That's about it. I am really curious to see what series they bring back next. If I had to guess it would be F-Zero.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord

Here is a Roster I made. Somewhat plausible, somewhat wishful thinking. 74 characters.

Newcomers:
Captain Toad:
Part of me thinks he is shoe in. He appeared in every main 3d mario game since Galaxy, he has his own game, if that is not enough I don't know what is.
Kamek: A quite big Mario character, specially in the Yoshi branch, with a lot of moveset potential.
King K. Rool: If not him, Dixie. But it's past the time for a DK newcomer. I prefer the villain.
Pauline: Original maid in distress, relevant once again after recieving acclaim for her appearence in Odyssey. Can mix both retro and new elements frm the Mario/ DK series.
Urbosa and Mipha: Or any BoTW Champion. They have lots of moveset potential. Urbosa can mix an arabic fight style with electric magic and Mipha is a cute water dweller with a trident. They also represent two very recurent races within the Zelda universe.
Rex and Pyra: Uniqueness and relevancy is on their side. The driver and blade mechanic could make an awesome fighter.
Marx and Medusa: Sakurai's babies. The lowest of the Kirby villains that has recency and potential and a female villain that is not Wendy'O Koopa.
Ridley: Wishful thinking.
Decidueye: Badass looking grass type starter that represents the most recent Pokémon games.
Inklings: Confirmed.
Ribbon Girl: Arms needs marketing.
Labobot: The WTF character that represents the switch era.
Takamaru: The retro rep.
Shovel Knight: He looks and feels like nintendo star. He has got even an amiibo. He is a Knight with a freaking shovel as a weapon.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m not thinking that we’re gonna get a character from the next Fire Emblem tbh, I feel like a character from SOV makes more sense because it’s more in line with the alleged date for the project plan proposal, I’m thinking it’ll be Celica. It could also be Lyn however since she’s become really popular, however I’m not sure if Sakurai was aware of just how popular she is at the time of the project plan proposal, so honestly I think it would be Celica (That is if Fire Emblem gets a new character to begin with, I’d say it’s 50/50)

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I really don't see a Gen 8 rep getting into Smash (at least at launch). That's along the lines of expecting Primal Groudon/Kyogre (ORAS didn't really have any brand new Pokemon so this is the best example) to get into Smash 4 at launch. ORAS released a month or two after Smash 3DS came out, just like Pokemon Switch/Gen 8 is likely to release a few months after Smash Switch.
I think it'd be more likely to expect Sceptile than Groudon or Kyogre given that he's not the size of a building.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I’m not thinking that we’re gonna get a character from the next Fire Emblem tbh, I feel like a character from SOV makes more sense because it’s more in line with the alleged date for the project plan proposal, I’m thinking it’ll be Celica. It could also be Lyn however since she’s become really popular, however I’m not sure if Sakurai was aware of just how popular she is at the time of the project plan proposal, so honestly I think it would be Celica (That is if Fire Emblem gets a new character to begin with, I’d say it’s 50/50)
That's exactly the mentality I have had for a while. It also helps her remake was originally intended to be released in 2016 (presumably when the roster was finalised) before being delayed to ensure quality.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I shared this in an older roster thread (good times) but never here. Here's my old ideal Sma5h roster. There are about four or five things I'd change now, but I'd still be extremely happy with this.
SB Ideal Roster.PNG

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I unlocked mewtwo by playing super sudden death with one stock and max knockback.
With the matches I'd already played it took me an hour to unlock Mewtwo.
That being said I'd prefer unlock criteria that isn't so tedious.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's exactly the mentality I have had for a while. It also helps her remake was originally intended to be released in 2016 (presumably when the roster was finalised) before being delayed to ensure quality.
Yeah, honestly she just falls into place perfectly, and I feel like if we were to get another FE character it would be her. (Or Lyn but who knows)

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Alright after way too much time looking into smash, Nintendo, and sakurai stuff I am almost ready to place my character bet I just wanted to see what you guys think first. Here are the 12 characters I believe will be the ones on the original design doc

Inklings
(Rythem Heaven Rep)
Paper Mario
Isabelle/Animals (ref notes)
(Pokémon) (ref notes)
Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Ridley
Isaac
Exitebiker
Bomberman
Rayman

Notes: I believe animal crossing will get another rep. It’s big and thriving which not a lot of games did in the Wii U era. I believe that like bowser jr the slot will be shared by multiple animals from the animal crossing world.

A new Pokémon will be added. It will not be decidueye for the same reason it wasn’t sceptile and zoroark before him. Sakurai is going to add someone that offers completely unique ideas to smash. And he never chooses the obvious choices for Pokémon and fire emblem.

Fire emblem will not get a rep this game.

Zelda will be heavely looked at and will get a new character. I’m 70% on skull kid but it could be a different random choice and I wouldn’t be surprised.

Ridley is always thought of in each smash game. I know that sakurai likes the character. I’m betting after all these years he will have figured out how to add him in.

Thoughts? I’m at work so it’ll take a little bit to reply.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly think we’re getting another Xenoblade character, and maybe, maybe, just maybe two if we’re lucky.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I still don't get Skull Kid. Why him over other Zelda characters? Move set potential sure, but largely irrelevant in Zelda as a whole.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai also wouldn't let Engineer Link be in the background of the Spirit Tracks stage when you're playing as Toon Link, despite Wind Waker Link being a different character with a different outfit.
Toon Link's games are listed as Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. It's an artstyle, not a specific character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Custom moves would be good unlockables if they weren't randomised and instead say, have you clear classic, Break The Target, All Stars etc with the corresponding character.
Yeah, that was 40% of the problem behind custom moves that there was no reliable way to obtain them. (the rest being how long it took to set up and them being boring on most characters).

Imagine if you had to unlock characters randomly and got doubles for no benefit. It would be bedlam.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I still don't get Skull Kid. Why him over other Zelda characters? Move set potential sure, but largely irrelevant in Zelda as a whole.
Skull Kid and the Majora's Mask are very heavily remembered in the series, more than most characters. He's a favourite of Aonuma to the point where the mask was the first piece of DLC decided on in botw. Even Smash Wii U itself gives him extra attention by having him as the first Assist Trophy shown period and even get the Majora's Mask as among the first dlc headgear for the Mii. Skull Kid even got a costume in Monster Hunter Stories. And he has timing on his side with Majora's Mask 3D and Hyrule Warriors Legends being in that sweet spot for game releases. Heck even Twilight Princess HD also has the Skull Kid.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is a hard franchise to pin down because characters generally aren’t important in it. But it hasn’t had a “real” new character added since melee and for the time between the last smash release Zelda has been blowing up. Sure you don’t need to have a Zelda character in smash to sell Zelda games. But the same is true for Pokémon and Mario. They get added anyways. Basically I’m certain a new Zelda character is coming in.

The reason I think it is going to be skull kid is because of his character design. First off majoras mask. Like the actual mask is iconic. He has also remained popular unlike other Zelda characters. His influence left a mark on the Zelda community. His game is at cult status. And he you could easily see how he could have a troll like playstyle which I believe sakurai likes to add in each smash.

No zelda characters have huge reasons to be playable in my opinion. But I believe we are getting one. So the question in my mind is who will become iconic to smash like sheik did?

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'd like the Zelda representation to be Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganon, Ganondorf. It just seems right, to me, to have two complete triforces. But I feel like it will never happen. And it will always hurt. I want to wield a trident...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'd be absolutely fine with Skull Kid.

I think Majora's Mask is the most interesting Zelda game, and honestly, if we are going to have Shiek be added from Ocarina of Time,it makes sense to add him as the next most iconic one-off Zelda character.

I see Skull Kid as the Marx of the Zelda series. a one-off villain that resonates deeply with fans of the series, so much that he keeps getting brought up and now have had playable appearances.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Personally the only Zelda character I really feel is due for Smash is Tetra, and maybe Wolf Link, otherwise I don’t really see anyone. (And I know Ganon is probably not happening because of Ganondorf and him already being in his Final Smash, as much as I want him)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Here is a Roster I made. Somewhat plausible, somewhat wishful thinking. 74 characters.

Newcomers:
Captain Toad:
Part of me thinks he is shoe in. He appeared in every main 3d mario game since Galaxy, he has his own game, if that is not enough I don't know what is.
Kamek: A quite big Mario character, specially in the Yoshi branch, with a lot of moveset potential.
King K. Rool: If not him, Dixie. But it's past the time for a DK newcomer. I prefer the villain.
Pauline: Original maid in distress, relevant once again after recieving acclaim for her appearence in Odyssey. Can mix both retro and new elements frm the Mario/ DK series.
Urbosa and Mipha: Or any BoTW Champion. They have lots of moveset potential. Urbosa can mix an arabic fight style with electric magic and Mipha is a cute water dweller with a trident. They also represent two very recurent races within the Zelda universe.
Rex and Pyra: Uniqueness and relevancy is on their side. The driver and blade mechanic could make an awesome fighter.
Marx and Medusa: Sakurai's babies. The lowest of the Kirby villains that has recency and potential and a female villain that is not Wendy'O Koopa.
Ridley: Wishful thinking.
Decidueye: Badass looking grass type starter that represents the most recent Pokémon games.
Inklings: Confirmed.
Ribbon Girl: Arms needs marketing.
Labobot: The WTF character that represents the switch era.
Takamaru: The retro rep.
Shovel Knight: He looks and feels like nintendo star. He has got even an amiibo. He is a Knight with a freaking shovel as a weapon.
While I think that Marx is a great choice for a Kirby character, I don't think he will be the only Kirby character if he's added. I believe that HAL is desperately trying to market Bandana Waddle Dee as Kirby's P4, as shown by the Dream Friends in Star Allies, and more notably, the Painter ability in Star Allies. I do think Kirby Star Allies is too recent anyways, much to the disappointment to both B. W. Dee and Marx. I do think that B. W. Dee is still relevant due to the Kirby spin-offs and other minor roles though, so that's a thing if relevancy is an issue. I do think Sakurai himself would want Marx though. So I do agree we may see him in.

There's a lot of other stuff I agree/disagree with but I thought I'd just give my thoughts on Kirby since that's all that's been on my mind recently

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In trying to make a 80 char roster, I realise what I want most is to be suprised. And I can't get that if I make the darn thing myself.

Stupid self defeating mumble grumble...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually what am I kidding, Wolf Link probably fits better because of the project plan, so it’ll probably be him unless they feel the need for Midna to be an Assist then it’ll likely be Tetra I’m guessing.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Actually what am I kidding, Wolf Link probably fits better because of the project plan, so it’ll probably be him unless they feel the need for Midna to be an Assist then it’ll likely be Tetra I’m guessing.
What makes you dismiss Skull Kid so easily? I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom