• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calane

Smash Ace
I don't think they will release all the DLC at once :/, its more likely they will follow how they did it for Smash Wii U which is one at a time. I think they will do this so they will keep the hype alive all the way until 2020. It will be, but people will buy the fighters pass if they open the DLC with a highly popular character. If people love the first DLC character that will draw interest in the other four, so a lot rides on that first DLC to be great. Especially because the last characters revealed in the base were not all well received and it ended on a lackluster note. So in my opinion I think the first DLC will be a really popular character to draw hype for the rest of the DLC.

I do think they will push Fire Emblem Three Houses as it most likely will be released around the same time as some of these DLC releases. From a marketing standpoint it would make sense that Nintendo would want to push FE Three Houses since this will be this first FE since path of radiance. To be on a home console. A lot of people know FE character because of Smash, but may have never played the actual FE games. This could be a good marketing tactic to draw interest in their new FE Three Houses game.

Haha probably I love music, I might be more excited to see what characters will bring in terms of music than the actual character. Yeah I know I could do that, but I love it when new composers get their hands on other composers music. I like to see if it wows me or its not nearly as good as the original. Good example of this is Apocalypis Noctis in FF15, then Dissidia NT, then Tekken 7. The best one was FF15 version with Yoko as the composer, the mid was Tekken 7's rendition of it. The worst one was Dissidia NT's version of Apocalypsis Noctis. This is what I would like to see in Smash Bros, how would they handle music pieces from Elder Scrolls, DQ, KH, etc.

Well what hurts the music scene in terms of Square is two things Sugiyama if its a DQ character. And in the recent game footage Midgar still only has two songs. Which is super disappointing, unless we can unlock more down the road (doubtful). Plus not a single FF spirit as of yet, does not bode well that Square is again being very stingy with their things. If we throw in Square's on stinginess plus Sugiyama's we will maybe get one or two songs tops. This is why I hope its KH or Geno because with Yoko already on board in Smash Ultimate maybe we will at least get more music than 2 tracks. In terms of the other more generous companies like Bandai Namco and Ubisoft/Microsoft/Bethesda I could see us potentially getting maybe 5-6 music tracks. We will have to see, especially because Elder Scrolls music pieces tend to be really long.

If you like that one I will link you one that I think you'll really like. That music reminds me of Studio Ghibli music XD, which I am down for. I agree that definitely surpasses DQ, its not even a competition this music is just way better. The music definitely has a calming nature about it, but still keeps you focused on its melody.

Last thing if Spawn Wave proves true and Vergeben proves true, then we might see the first Smash DLC character at the game awards. Which will be a Square Enix rep, so I guess if both of these facts are true we don't have long to see which character takes the Square slot.

Here's the track I think you will love so much excitement for the next Avengers movie! (Its a mashup of Avengers & Guardians theme)

Heres what I mean by different composers same song. I would like to see more of this in Smash Ultimate. Especially if Jeremy Soule, Martin O'donnel or Yoko Shimomura are involved in the renditions.

...I feel like I've said this a couple times on this thread already, but I'll say it one more time. From what I understand, Sugiyama only seems to care about the orchestrated tracks being used. So long as Smash only uses the Midi versions, I don't think he'd really mind.

Before someone asks me "would he really allow the japanese to only have the MIDI tracks?", the answer is yes. Yes he would. Here are videos of the japanese versions of DQ11 and DQHeroes still having the MIDI tracks: DQ11 / DQHeroes

If, for some reason, they couldn't get the music because of Sugiyama (which I don't think would be the case as long as only the MIDI tracks were being used) then they could always just pull music from "Dragon Quest Swords" and be done with it. I hear he didn't compose the music for that game.

It seems like you and your friend have a negative opinion on DQ music as a whole, so I thought I'd go ahead and post some of my personal favorites so you could see that the series does have some beautiful music. You don't have to listen to them all, but I'm just throwing these out there:

The ocean

Memories of a Lost World

Days of Sadness

Mysterious Tower

Homeland

Lively Village

Strolling in the Town

I could post more, but I'll stop it there.

D

Deleted member

Crash is now more likely than Rayman...

Holy wumpa, could it be finally the time?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Has a Layton or Phoenix Wright spirit been spotted yet? Or any character from Level-5 or Capcom that doesn't have a playable franchise character yet?
Do you think Capcom is going to get a 4th character? I don’t have any problems with it, but it’s a little difficult to imagine.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So uh...Rayman is a spirit apparently too uh?

OOOOOF Here's the picture? because Smashboard can't handle picture anymore
I wouldn't consider that any kind of deconfirmation. That art is pretty stylized and easily distinguishable from whatever his rendition in a Smash game would look like.

That's on top of the fact that Spirits likely don't deconfirm fighters anyways.

I'm in the minority that considers TP Zelda to be better than Ultimate Zelda.

But I can get behind this. She's adorable now. If :ultzelda: and :ultganondorf: got new amiibo to match their new designs, they'd sell easily.
I also prefer TP Zelda. And TP Link, but they messed up his looks in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

'Member when Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 and everyone thought that meant they weren't going to be DLC?
I 'member.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So who still has amiibo that could release but hasn't already been announced?

:ultrobin: - Female version
:ultwiifittrainer: - Male version
:ultike: - Old costume
:ultbowserjr: - Every Koopaling
:ultsnake: - Not announced
:ultpokemontrainer: - Squirtle, Ivysaur
:ultwario: - Classic costume
:ultvillager: - Female version
:ultolimar: - Alf costume
:ultlittlemac:- Pink Hoodie costume, Wireframe
:ultridley: - Meta Ridley

(Thanks osby osby and ErenJager ErenJager )

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do you think Capcom is going to get a 4th character? I don’t have any problems with it, but it’s a little difficult to imagine.
Who knows, depends if Sakurai considers Ken good enough for Ultimate despite being only an echo. I'd still like to see Phoenix though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Another Ultimate News: The Pacing of Unlocking New Characters

Seems like you can unlock many characters rather quickly...
Good... I want to get right into the fighting with all the new characters...
We better put this case in court... music, and all

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I also prefer TP Zelda. And TP Link, but they messed up his looks in Smash 4.
Yeah, it was almost like they wanted to blend OoT, TP and SS Link all into one character and it came out a generic green Link doll. I think his design was partially why I just didn't play him in Smash 4 despite using him in the previous three games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So who still has amiibo that could release but hasn't already been announced?

:ultrobin: - Female version
:ultwiifittrainer: - Male version
:ultike: - Old costume
:ultbowserjr: - Every Koopaling
:ultsnake: - Not announced
:ultpokemontrainer: - Squirtle, Ivysaur

Anyone else?
:4villagerf::4alph::4wario2: for starters (we only got one for Wario, right?)

Also new ones for :ultpikachu::ultmario: because why not?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Are people really still on the mindset that a spirit deconfirms a character? Come on guys....It's a baseless assumption

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok real talk I just memed about Julius but despite the Belmont's final smash fitting the original depiction of Grand Cross, Julius' version is easily the most iconic I'd feel cause of the goddamn impact it has. When he uses it in hiss boss fight, the ****ing castle starts crumbling in the background all while we get Heart of Fire. God I love Castlevania

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, since people keep calling the new bonus stage Race to the Finish: It's not. There are new stuff in the game. Deal with it.

D

Deleted member

You forget about company SlOtS.
Right. I forgot about the rules:
  1. Each company can only have two unique characters.
  2. Each company can only have one echo.
  3. Each third party series can only have one unique character.
  4. Echoes can be from an already represented third party series.

D

Deleted member

Crash is at the moment free from Elma, Bandana Dee, Rayman, Geno, Isaac, Mona and many more.

I can see him having to stand against Sylux, the Three Houses rep, Steve, Funky Kong, Banjo and maybe Dante.

D

Deleted member

RE REP! RE REP! RE REP! RE REP! RE REP!
SO THEY'RE FINALLY HERE,
PERFORMING FOR YOU!
IF YOU KNOW THE WORDS,
YOU CAN JOIN IN TOO!
PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER
IF YOU WANT TO CLAP,
AS WE TAKE YOU THROUGH
THIS SANDWICH RAP!

HUH!

R! E!

RESIDENT EVIL

D

Deleted member

Also, since people keep calling the new bonus stage Race to the Finish: It's not. There are new stuff in the game. Deal with it.
But then I can't angrily say it's a port because it doesn't have things from my wish list. :4wario2:

D

Deleted member

SO THEY'RE FINALLY HERE,
PERFORMING FOR YOU!
IF YOU KNOW THE WORDS,
YOU CAN JOIN IN TOO!
PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER
IF YOU WANT TO CLAP,
AS WE TAKE YOU THROUGH
THIS SANDWICH RAP!

HUH!

R! E!

RESIDENT EVIL
I need a full version of this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, while we're all overthinking things, here's some completely circumstantial "evidence" towards a certain character maybe being DLC.

Celica herself has not been spotted as a spirit yet. The closest thing we have is a joint spirit of the child versions of her and Alm.
While three Shadows of Valentia/Gaiden songs were spotted, one was the final boss theme (a song fitting for both Alm and Celica) and the other two, March to Deliverance and Lord of a Dead Empire, are songs specific to Alm's route.
Furthermore, With Mila's Divine Protection has been in Smash since Brawl, and is Celica's map theme...but it hasn't been confirmed to be in the game yet. Celica has yet to have any of HER songs be confirmed.
Add onto this that Three Houses was potentially too new for DLC, and that Celica has proven to be extremely popular as a Fire Emblem character, and that Nintendo/IS has pushed for her to be included in things in the past (Warriors), AND that Sakurai would have had the original Gaiden to go off of as well...

I'm not saying anything definitive, but it's definitely something worth a mention. Could it end up like Waddle Dee and Elma's weird absences before today and ultimately mean nothing? Yeah, it could. But hey, it's something to speculate about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom