• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I have a question about Spirits. Sakurai said in the direct that you level them up through battle, but he didn't say which kinds of battles. I assume it can be any battles, but could it be that it's only through spirit battles or can we equip and level them up even when playing Free For All?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Codecs are better because it's fun seeing characters from a franchise like Metal Gear try to make sense of Mr. Game & Watch and Wario.

... but Palutena's Guidance is something I thought they'd skimp on this time round because of focusing on stuff elsewhere, so it's nice to see it return.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I have a question about Spirits. Sakurai said in the direct that you level them up through battle, but he didn't say which kinds of battles. I assume it can be any battles, but could it be that it's only through spirit battles or can we equip and level them up even when playing Free For All?
We saw in the direct that you can battle other players with spirits, but I think it’s probably its own mode somewhere.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Two player classic mode?! Yay! Me and my brother just got something to play together instead of having to take turns.

D

Deleted member

The 4 psychic kids aren't able to do ANYTHING to hurt Giygas. Giygas is defeated by the combined prayers of everyone on Earth. Exactly the kind of thing that would take every Spirit in Smash to defeat.
So Giygas is defeated by everyone on earth praying? Do we know what constitutes as "prayer"? Is it some sort of magical attack? Is it praying to some diety thats stronger then Giygas? Or is it literally just people thinking really hard? Like I said, we literally cannot draw any conclusions other then Giygas is stronger then Ness' party, which really isn't saying much considering Ness' party don't have any solid feats that come close to say, Bayonetta's feats iirc. For all we know Giygas could literally be beaten by people thinking really hard and that would mean he's actually super weak

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
We saw in the direct that you can battle other players with spirits, but I think it’s probably its own mode somewhere.
So it can be in VS mode then? I just want to be able to level up while playing Vs matches with friends (or by myself)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Dixie would be a shame, but could anyone really get mad at Funky getting in? After Incineroar, I'm doubling down in support for characters who ooze personality - so long as Funky didn't make generic gorilla noises, I'd be so down for the guy

... and watch him be top tier, just like Mario Kart Wii
Yeah I wouldn't exactly be mad about it, just surprised. And it would really screw Dixie over big time, being denied a second time. Yet I couldn't be opposed to having Funky at all, since more DKC representation is always good in my books. It's just.. Dixie has a way more interessting potential playstyle to me honestly. A light weight grappler with her hair, being somewhat floaty but still having great throws, and a good recovery with okay mobility and mixups... That's just screaming Smash-potential to me. Funky is also cool! And there's lot's he could do that would be fitting with Smash, adding his own personal charm and quirks, but still... It's undeniable that Dixie deserves it slightly more.

Then again, if we wanna be specific, Rambi has appeared even more than both Funky and Dixie, and since he's the original Animal Buddy, he's also been playable more often even if only for a few levels. So if they truly want a WTF-DKC-character, Rambi is the way to go. But I would appriciate Funky greatly.

Also I wanna know about that interview @GoldenYuiitusin talked about. Btw, congrats on Incineroar. :ultincineroar: He seems a legit fun character to play, and am 1000000% satisfied that the new Pokemon is not Decidueye.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Maybe they'll have it to where you can turn on and off spirit matches and equip and level up spirits that way in Vs mode, kinda like what they did for custom matches in Smash 4

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aside from Elma and BWD, has any other notable trophies been found?
Yes, Impa, but it's only Ocarina of Time Impa. So Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors Impa is still in the run, obviously. :D

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Huh, I can’t seem to find Vee’s tweet anymore, did she delete it because of bombarding Smash comments?

Since Bandana Dee and Elma are probably out, are there any other candidates that are MIA?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp, "surprise" DLC picks = Pink Gold Peach levels of obscurity and stupidity.

I jest. But that, Sakurai saying Nintendo gave him the list to pick from, and Reggie's insistence that fan polls/input aren't going to influence DLC picks are all very bad signs that these are going to be boring corporate picks. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

And FINALLY Sonic gets something new!! Took them long enough.
I don't think Reggie ever said that fan requests have no impact at all, just that at this point fan requests aren't going to change decisions that were already made, which just sounds like common sense.
After that interview, I'm 95% certain one of those DLC characters is going to be Funky Kong.

He's still MIA right now.
tbh I'd be way more hyped for Funky than I would be for Dixie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Huh, I can’t seem to find Vee’s tweet anymore, did she delete it because of bombarding Smash comments?

On another, now that Bandana Dee and Elma are probably out, are there any other candidates that are MIA?
Has Rayman been spotted as a Spirit yet?

D

Deleted member

Since Bandana Dee and Elma are probably out, are there any other candidates that are MIA?
Crash Bandicoot and maybe Sylux.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Yeah I wouldn't exactly be mad about it, just surprised. And it would really screw Dixie over big time, being denied a second time. Yet I couldn't be opposed to having Funky at all, since more DKC representation is always good in my books. It's just.. Dixie has a way more interessting potential playstyle to me honestly. A light weight grappler with her hair, being somewhat floaty but still having great throws, and a good recovery with okay mobility and mixups... That's just screaming Smash-potential to me. Funky is also cool! And there's lot's he could do that would be fitting with Smash, adding his own personal charm and quirks, but still... It's undeniable that Dixie deserves it slightly more.

Then again, if we wanna be specific, Rambi has appeared even more than both Funky and Dixie, and since he's the original Animal Buddy, he's also been playable more often even if only for a few levels. So if they truly want a WTF-DKC-character, Rambi is the way to go. But I would appriciate Funky greatly.

Also I wanna know about that interview @GoldenYuiitusin talked about. Btw, congrats on Incineroar. :ultincineroar: He seems a legit fun character to play, and am 1000000% satisfied that the new Pokemon is not Decidueye.
Dixie would definitely make sense as our next DK character and has more going for her than Funky: but Funky would be so funny that I couldn't really be mad. Plus 'NEW FUNKY MODE' and '& Knuckles' would be relevant to Smash - all we'd need is 'featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series' to complete the trifecta.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So Giygas is defeated by everyone on earth praying? Do we know what constitutes as "prayer"? Is it some sort of magical attack? Is it praying to some diety thats stronger then Giygas? Or is it literally just people thinking really hard? Like I said, we literally cannot draw any conclusions other then Giygas is stronger then Ness' party, which really isn't saying much considering Ness' party don't have any solid feats that come close to say, Bayonetta's feats iirc. For all we know Giygas could literally be beaten by people thinking really hard and that would mean he's actually super weak
It’s Paula who prays to the people of the Earth, and at first it seems that the prayers are “swallowed by the darkness” (“but nobody came”), but then everyone who you met on your journey hears your prayers and prays for your safety. So anyone who has enough love in the world could presumably defeat Giygas, it’s not prayer but love that’s his true weakness. So I’m assuming that someone like Mewtwo or Ganondorf couldn’t beat him, but someone like Zelda probably could.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Uh nope, don’t think so.

But man, imagine if there was a Banjo spirit or he was an online icon like Geno.
I'd expect that they'd add some Spirits with the DLC charterers... So if someone like Steve or Master Chief gets in, it could very well be a possibility

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Been away for FFXIV Fan Fest the last several days so by the look of things, it seems like we're starting to see mostly new videos as the events and copies start being received I assume mostly?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Oh boy, with so many Nintendo characters out on the running with ATs and/or Spirits, we’re definitely gonna get Smash 4 style DLC with solely 3rd Parties and one FE promotion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie would definitely make sense as our next DK character and has more going for her than Funky: but Funky would be so funny that I couldn't really be mad. Plus 'NEW FUNKY MODE' and '& Knuckles' would be relevant to Smash - all we'd need is 'featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series' to complete the trifecta.
Yes, all of this, aside from Knuckles and Dante please.

So basically, I agree with you about the Kongs, and nothing else.

But I easily find stuff to disagree with with people, so pay me no mind.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For all we know Giygas could literally be beaten by people thinking really hard and that would mean he's actually super weak
If you think the hopes and dreams of an entire planet is actually super weak you've literally never watched an anime or played a Japanese video game before.

You've already said you didn't play the game, it's obvious you don't know wtf you're talking about. You're trying to reduce this **** to numbers when the entire point of the end of Earthbound is it defies defeating the final boss using numbers.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom