• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, thats like comparing a Genocidal Dictator who tries to wipe out an entire race of people for the greater good to a Serial Killer. I would think the former is worse because he does evil for what he thinks is good as compared to the Serial Killer who is probably morally and mentally deficnient.
And that's my point. The fact that Ganondorf is doing what he does for the greater good indicates that he has some type of humane qualities. Ridley is completely unredeemable. He doesn't care who gets killed in the process of his plans, most of which are literally nothing but a petty desire to harm someone.

I think people are focusing too much on the number of people who would be effected by the villain rather than the actions themselves. You honestly think Ridley would be a step up from Ganondorf if he had the same goal of enslaving the entire world?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It says something about our villain for this smash when not even the most disgusting and henious of characters are interested in working with him. Whatever plan it has, it really doesnt seem like anyone is interested in allowing it. So, I think someone has taken the title as the worst Nintendo villain.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is probably not related to any discussion in this thread but I was curious: does anyone know if we can use Switch Coins towards the Fighter Pass? I assume you can, but if so, it would affect my decision to go physical or digital. It's technically cheaper to just pre-order the vanilla game and then use the coins from that pre-order against the Fighter Pass, but I wanted to make sure that's an option.

beans

Smash Lord
If someone believes their evil actions are just, does that make them less evil? If someone's motives are purely malicious but on a small scale, does that make them more evil then a self righteous villain who's crimes effect hundreds or millions?

This is why I don't believe in absolute goods or absolute evils. The topic is too complex to boil down to "x is evil, but y is evil-er".
But what if somebody is EVILLAK!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wvNvV6Yneg

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Regarding the main villian and our villians...do we have any confirmation that characters like Ganondorf, Ridley & Dark Samus aren't working with it?

Like sure we saw Bowser and King K. Rool but those two have played sports with Mario. I could totally see, at the very least, :ultganondorf:,:ultridley: &:ultdarksamus: being bosses rather than corrupted allies. They'd still join after being defeated but I could see them not being one of the good guys initially.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
And that's my point. The fact that Ganondorf is doing what he does for the greater good indicates that he has some type of humane qualities. Ridley is completely unredeemable. He doesn't care who gets killed in the process of his plans, most of which are literally nothing but a petty desire to harm someone.

I think people are focusing too much on the number of people who would be effected by the villain rather than the actions themselves. You honestly think Ridley would be a step up from Ganondorf if he had the same goal of enslaving the entire world?
I am thinking more on intentions. Somehow a villain who at least knows what he does is villainous and is doing it for the lulz pretty much (Joker, Carnage, etc) seems to be less evil and more animalistic. What creates a villain who really makes my skin crawls if that they believe they are the hero in their story and that their actions are just (Emperor Palpatine, Lex Luthor, Dr Doom, Magneto, Etc)

You may catch Joker on a good day and he may spare you, but if you get between Lex and something he wants your death warrant is signed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Regarding the main villian and our villians...do we have any confirmation that characters like Ganondorf, Ridley & Dark Samus aren't working with it?

Like sure we saw Bowser and King K. Rool but those two have played sports with Mario. I could totally see, at the very least, :ultganondorf:,:ultridley: &:ultdarksamus: being bosses rather than corrupted allies. They'd still join after being defeated but I could see them not being one of the good guys initially.
You could justify their assistance as short-term help for the sake of their own selfish goals.
Ganondorf can't rule a kingdom of statues, Ridley can't terrorize a dead galaxy, and Dark Samus is just looking for more stuff to infect.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Why are we talking about Ganondorf being Ganondorf he's a cool dude.

Is it just me or is Amiibo For Glory the most obvious online mode ever?

D

Deleted member

I am thinking more on intentions. Somehow a villain who at least knows what he does is villainous and is doing it for the lulz pretty much (Joker, Carnage, etc) seems to be less evil and more animalistic. What creates a villain who really makes my skin crawls if that they believe they are the hero in their story and that their actions are just (Emperor Palpatine, Lex Luthor, Dr Doom, Magneto, Etc)

You may catch Joker on a good day and he may spare you, but if you get between Lex and something he wants your death warrant is signed.
I love Dr.Doom a lot.
He deserves either a TV Show with a big budget, or a movie with a similar length to Fellowship Of The Ring.

The Fox movies didn’t give the least bit of justice to the character.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Kirby kills someone because they ruined his cake.
Kirby >>>>>> any villain, in terms of "evilness".

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I love Dr.Doom a lot.
He deserves either a TV Show with a big budget, or a movie with a similar length to Fellowship Of The Ring.

The Fox movies didn’t give the least bit of justice to the character.
**** that he deserves a full Solo Origin movie in the MCU with him being the next Thanos in the MCU.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly all I know of Dr. Doom is from his ridicc moveset in MvC3 and his legion of fans that said DR. DOOM DID NOTHING WRONG.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
But it needs to be longer than any of the Lord Of The Rings movies.
And Reed Richards too.
Richards barely relates to Doom other than they went to college together, the worse thing the Fantastic 4 movies did was tie his origin with theirs.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Off topic but...

Gametheory post an interesting Ultimate video discussing and theorizing the demographic of who will be likely be chosen based on gender, culture, countries, etc.

The demographic survey is voted by 500,000 people from different demographics!

Which character is favored by what demographic?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly all I know of Dr. Doom is from his ridicc moveset in MvC3 and his legion of fans that said DR. DOOM DID NOTHING WRONG.
I mean, Marvel literally said a universe where he wins brings the most good out of any other universe

1517708762017.jpg

Off topic but...

Gametheory post an interesting Ultimate video discussing and theorizing the demographic of who will be likely be chosen based on gender, culture, countries, etc.

That Waluigi edit is ****ing disgusting.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Off topic but...

I think MatPat is an unoriginal clickbaiter. Fight me.

D

Deleted member

He is overpowered in the comics, and in one a god from Wakanda saw that the only good future for humanity was the one where he ruled everything.
He also has a wonderful and tragic backstory, while also making his kingdom (Latveria) a wonderful and peaceful territory.

There’s one thing to note doh: he hates Reed Richards (Mr.Fantastic) so much, that he could even do dumb stuff just to rise over him. Most of the time it fails.

Richards barely relates to Doom other than they went to college together, the worse thing the Fantastic 4 movies did was tie his origin with theirs.
True.
But it is important to note the reason his plans ends up failing most of the time: Richards and the wish of Doom to succeed over him.

But yeah, don’t send him to space with the First Family. That is just dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He is overpowered in the comics, and in one a god from Wakanda saw that the only good future for humanity was the one where he ruled everything.
He also has a wonderful and tragic backstory, while also making his kingdom (Latveria) a wonderful and peaceful territory.

There’s one thing to note doh: he hates Reed Richards (Mr.Fantastic) so much, that he could even do dumb stuff just to rise over him. Most of the time it fails.
Sounds like they justified his actions a little too well and he's a good guy that happens to be a ****.

beans

Smash Lord
Kirby is Chaotic Neutral most of the time.
And is Chaotic Against-Anything-In-His-Path whenever someone takes his food.
Lil' dude jumps to conclusions too, Dedede was doing nothing in Squak Squad and Kirby when his food got stolen broke in and gave him a beating. Dynablade was just feeding her kids and Kirby went there and suplexed'er off the mountain.
Waddle Dee is the true criminal mastermind. He stole Kirby's cake and made it so Kirby went after Dedede to make him Dededead. He also put on a hat and joined Meta Knight's council (so he wasnt on the list to fight) in Super Star.
Waddle Dee is the true villain of Kirby. Dark Matter is merely the crumble of cake in his plate.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I think MatPat is an unoriginal clickbaiter. Fight me.
I would add that he just speaks fast to try to keep you off balance and not realize he is just (pardon the word) bull****ing his way into believing his theory. He doesnt do enough research and most of his theories are convoluted, lazy and poorly thought out.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna make a bit of a crazy bet and say that come 2019, we aren't gonna get any news on Smash @ E3. I'm starting to feel the event NOW really isn't worth plopping big announcements as it did back then, especially with the news that Sony straight up isn't even gonna be there at ALL. No pre-recorded presentation, they just aren't there at all.

I'm gonna bet the only "event" that we'll have Smash news will be EVO. Everywhere else most likely in Directs. Hopefully the VGAs might have one.

D

Deleted member

Sounds like they justified his actions a little too well and he's a good guy that happens to be a ****.
Kind of, yeah.

In fact, he is actually under the identity of the Infamous Iron Man to change the way the world looks at him.

This was a result of the reboot of Earth 616 during the Secret Wars, done by Richards to stop the conflict. He took the chance to give Doom at last the opportunity to become what he wanted to be: someone who could save the world with more ease.

I suggest to read Marvel 2 in 1: this comic series explains the things that Doom, the Thing and the Human Torch did some time after the Secret Wars, and also explains some unknown stuff about the things that were not so clear about the Fantastic Four during them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wasn't Doom playing Iron Man for a certain time while Stark got a coma from Captain Marvel?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Not trying to be rude, but when did this thread become Marvelboards?
This a thread to discuss Smash Ultimate, Is it not?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Since I've never done this before I suppose I'll go ahead and rank how hyped I am for all the new characters.

:ultkrool: 1. King K. Rool - He's finally here (performing for you)! But seriously, I've been campaigning for this guy since Brawl. I've always felt that he'd fit perfectly in the world of Smash, and our patience has finally been rewarded. Honestly, it's still hard to believe he's here. And he looks just like I'd always wanted - the Blunderbuss, crown toss, and helicopter pack. He's perfectly crafted.
:ultinkling: 2. Inkling - I love the world and characters of Splatoon, and with their recent surge in popularity, there was no doubt they'd show up - but honestly, even though I expected them, they're translated directly from Splatoon, and that makes me excited.
:ultsimon: 3. Simon - Castlevania had a big impact on classic gaming, and the character is once again translated beautifully from their home series. His reach has got me excited and it makes me ready to fight once again.
:ultridley: 4. Ridley - I'm still in the camp of "he's too big" and that they had to sacrifice a bit of the character to make it work, but damn, does he look menacing. He clashes hard with most of the cast - and honestly, it fits the sadistic villain he is fantastically. He deserves the slot.
:ultincineroar: 5. Incineroar - I may have preferred Decidueye, but the really cool wrestling motif makes me excited for him.
:ultisabelle: 6. Isabelle - I still don't want her in the game, but that's only because she's too cute to hurt. That said, I like her alternate take on Villager's moveset. Especially with the fishing rod, that always felt missing on Villager.
:ultdaisy: 7. Daisy - I like Daisy's spunky personality, even if I'm not the biggest fan of Peach's playstyle.
:ultken: 8. Ken - I like Ryu in Smash, and it's cool that they gave Ken some of his own moves instead of making him a direct copy.
:ultrichter: 9. Richter - I wish Richter would have gotten the same treatment Ken did, but I like what I've seen of Simon's moveset, so I'm sure I'll be fine with Richter too.
:ultdarksamus: 10. Dark Samus - I'm not a big fan of Samus' playstyle, so... eh.
:ultchrom: 11. Chrom - I really don't think he adds much that Roy and Lucina didn't already do, and I've already explained my problems with so many Fire Emblem characters.
:ultpiranha: 12. Seriously, screw this. There are so many characters who really deserve the slot more than a generic enemy that in his own series doesn't do anything but chomp.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I haven’t read the recent Iron Man comics yet.
But if Doom is still the Infamous Iron Man, i guess that he created a new armour.
Meh, modern Marvel is weird. It just got done with Asian Hulk being done being Asian Hulk and now he's just green asian man.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I mentioned this last week, but given the current discussion, I figure it's worth bringing up again.

It's all but confirmed that the cutscene we saw two weeks ago for World of Light/Spirits is cut down for the Direct. If you watch the very end of the trailer, you can see a shot of Galleem that is not present in the cinematic earlier in the trailer. In this shot, it seems like Galleem or the Master Hands are shooting out red lasers, which definitely didn't happen in the famous scene in the beginning of the trailer.

My theory is that before everyone gets blasted, there will be some scenes where the cast is fighting some of the Master Hands (sort of fulfilling how Marth said they'd each need to take down about 10), and this will include some of the characters we didn't see more closely in the trailer shown in the Direct. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Yoshi, Ness, Ike, R.O.B., Ryu, Cloud, Mega Man, etc., may all be shown in some capacity. Either before or during the "Everyone Is Dead" attack.

Whether or not the Metroid villains are still present... that'll be interesting to see. Ridley and Dark Samus are much darker villains than Bowser and K. Rool, and likely wouldn't cooperate with everyone else. Even Ganondorf worked with Link and Zelda when Tabuu was a threat. But Ridley's a psychopath, and Dark Samus was on track to take over the universe just as much as Galleem did.

D

Deleted member

I mentioned this last week, but given the current discussion, I figure it's worth bringing up again.

It's all but confirmed that the cutscene we saw two weeks ago for World of Light/Spirits is cut down for the Direct. If you watch the very end of the trailer, you can see a shot of Galleem that is not present in the cinematic earlier in the trailer. In this shot, it seems like Galleem or the Master Hands are shooting out red lasers, which definitely didn't happen in the famous scene in the beginning of the trailer.

My theory is that before everyone gets blasted, there will be some scenes where the cast is fighting some of the Master Hands (sort of fulfilling how Marth said they'd each need to take down about 10), and this will include some of the characters we didn't see more closely in the trailer shown in the Direct. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Yoshi, Ness, Ike, R.O.B., Ryu, Cloud, Mega Man, etc., may all be shown in some capacity. Either before or during the "Everyone Is Dead" attack.

Whether or not the Metroid villains are still present... that'll be interesting to see. Ridley and Dark Samus are much darker villains than Bowser and K. Rool, and likely wouldn't cooperate with everyone else. Even Ganondorf worked with Link and Zelda when Tabuu was a threat. But Ridley's a psychopath, and Dark Samus was on track to take over the universe just as much as Galleem did.
Dark Samus would even try to infect every fighter present.
Ridley would kill a lot of stuff, that’s for sure.

MainJPW

M.T.A
“Sonic’s alts are all a shade of blue”

I dunno about y’all but this doesn’t look like a shade of blue to me.

It’s black as the ace of spades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom