• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As a Charizard main with a Mewtwo secondary, I'd agree that my Zard was the stronger of the two because I practiced him more...if Zard didn't have crippling matchups that Mewtwo just didn't. I'll be rocking my Charizard only For Glory until I run into a Zamus, Samus, Link, Tink or Sheik, and thin it feels like I've hit a wall where I'm no longer able to approach or control the stage like a giant, speedy dragon is supposed to.

If you want to main a "bad" character with extreme weaknesses like I did in Smash 4, I seriously recommend having a secondary that covers their weaknesses. Maybe you could even main two "bad" characters with a sort of symbiosis, like I did with Zard and pre-buff Mewtwo (I still don't actually think Mewtwo was as bad back then as people made him out to be but I digress).

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just realized, if everyone was there when Galeem "killed" them, what reason did :ultridley: have to be friendly?

Like, I understand :ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf: and even :ultkrool:but Ridley is the most evil of them all morally.
Dark Samus is maybe even more bizarre, like if I were Kirby and the gang I'd probably just tip-toe around freeing a chaotic being who's hell-bent on consuming the universe in Phazon. Ridley, as evil as he is, could at the very least have survival as a common motivation with the rest, Dark Samus on the other hand isn't actually that different from Galeem.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ridley is not worse than Ganondorf. Ganondorf is a goddamn demon king. Ridley is just a vicious pirate.
No, Ganondorf murders because he's the reincarnation of an ancient demonic embodyment of hatred. The racial injustice is just a convenient excuse.
Gotta disagree with you on that. Ganondorf is a villain who usually has a motive for his actions. People who get in his way are just collateral damage. Ridley, however, would kill absolutely anyone just for the sheer pleasure he gets from murder. He doesn't need a reason for his actions. He just genuinely loves the thrill from each kill.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dark Samus is maybe even more bizarre, like if I were Kirby and the gang I'd probably just tip-toe around freeing a chaotic being who's hell-bent on consuming the universe in Phazon. Ridley, as evil as he is, could at the very least have survival as a common motivation with the rest, Dark Samus on the other hand isn't actually that different from Galeem.
Wouldn't that make them rivals? Like enemy of my enemy?

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I wish they explore any side of Ganondorf. Guy's been absent from the games for a decade except that weird spin-off and Smash.
Before then he was the super secret final boss behind all the villains. If anyone but him is trying to take over Hyrule, odds are he is behind it. I am amazed he wasnt really the villain of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks somehow.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Gotta disagree with you on that. Ganondorf is a villain who usually has a motive for his actions. People who get in his way are just collateral damage. Ridley, however, would kill absolutely anyone just for the sheer pleasure he gets from murder. He doesn't need a reason for his actions. He just genuinely loves the thrill from each kill.
Yes, and Ganondorf's "motive" is always enslaving the entire world in unending darkness.

I'm sorry, but there are clear tropes at play here. Murderous pirate does not trump world enslaving demon king.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which is why he betrayed his own race to a pair of witches.

No, Ganondorf murders because he's the reincarnation of an ancient demonic embodiment of hatred. The racial injustice is just a convenient excuse.
At least it's an excuse he can use. Ganondorf's character was more sophisticated, and the last time we even saw him was before canon said he was a reincarnation of Demise. That's a big lore retcon excuse.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ridley is not worse than Ganondorf. Ganondorf is a goddamn demon king. Ridley is just a vicious pirate.
This is the first encounter between Samus and Ridley after Samus's childhood where Ridley killed her parents:

Yeah, the only thing Dark Samus is probably thinking in World of Light is "I should've been the one to kill/control everyone."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At least it's an excuse he can use. Ganondorf's character was more sophisticated, and the last time we even saw him was before canon said he was a reincarnation of Demise. That's a big lore retcon excuse.
Yes, and we live in a time that is after that retcon took place. So, like it or not, that's what Ganondorf IS now.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Being more chaotic doesn't necessarily mean "more evil".

Ganon's motivation is always absolute power. In two futures we're able to see the consequences of his ambitions realized-- OoT and BotW-- and it results in a ruined world.

We haven't seen a result where Ridley or the Space Pirates in general reach their absolute goal to compare. They, as an organization, are more sound in their diabolical goals because they want to profit from it.

Xeno324

Smash Rookie
Slightly off topic, but is anyone else who plays the latest Minecraft snapshot having issues with the high frequency of Pillager spawns (with the beast also)?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, and we live in a time that is after that retcon took place. So, like it or not, that's what Ganondorf IS now.
Is he now? Yes.
More than Ridley? Not even close.

also we haven't seen Ganondorf in 12 years that's super sad.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
This is also why I don't mind my characters being mid or low tier. I get to play them because I like them as a character, not because they're mechanically or statistically superior in some way, and thus there aren't hundreds of other people playing them for that reason.

So I can be Dark Samus and not have to be associated with people just gaming the tiers.

Bayonetta fans got it the worst, sadly.
Agreed though I personally dislike how people get on characters who are top tier and claim that they only use them for that specific reason.

Sure they're really valuable competitively but doesn't mean they can't be used for fun as well, I've always loved using Diddy specifically cause I'm a big fan of him and I love his move set. I never use characters based upon where they are listed on the tier list.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yes, and Ganondorf's "motive" is always enslaving the entire world in unending darkness.

I'm sorry, but there are clear tropes at play here. Murderous pirate does not trump world enslaving demon king.
Let me put it to you this way. What kind of person would you consider to be more evil? Someone who kills innocent lives because he's fueled by anger and hatred, or someone who kills innocent lives because he thinks it's a fun pastime?

Ganondorf might have bigger goals in mind, but Ridley and his blatant disregard for any type of life makes him a much more evil and unredeemable villain IMO.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Agreed though I personally dislike how people get on characters who are top tier and claim that they only use them for that specific reason.

Sure they're really valuable competitively but doesn't mean they can't be used for fun as well, I've always loved using Diddy specifically cause I'm a big fan of him and I love his move set.
Well of course a lot of people will play top-tier characters because they just like the characters, often completely ignorant of their place in the metagame. There's nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that then they might get lumped in with the people who do only play them for the metagame, but that's not their fault.

Because a lot of people do only play characters because they're advantageous and not because of the character itself. All the hundreds of people who played Meta Knight in Brawl or Fox in Melee aren't playing them in later games after they've been adjusted.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No. But you have seen Ganon, and, spoiler alert: They're the same character.
Ganon is more times made into a mindless drone than he is a sophisticated character, which is like in only the OG Zelda and a Link to the Past.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Hmm well seems like the peak of smash hype speculation is done, people now are just looking towards playing the game.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Finally, my power's back after a huge windstorm last night...
Did I miss much?

Oh, okay good... That's what I assumed, I was just making sure
You might have been confusing Geckos with Salamanders. They look sort of like Geckos/Lizards but are actually amphibians.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let me put it to you this way. What kind of person would you consider to be more evil? Someone who kills innocent lives because he's fueled by anger and hatred, or someone who kills innocent lives because he thinks it's a fun pastime?
Whichever one causes the most harm.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Ganondorf might have bigger goals in mind, but Ridley and his blatant disregard for any type of life makes him a much more evil and unredeemable villain IMO.
To be fair, thats like comparing a Genocidal Dictator who tries to wipe out an entire race of people for the greater good to a Serial Killer. I would think the former is worse because he does evil for what he thinks is good as compared to the Serial Killer who is probably morally and mentally deficnient.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ganondorf at least shows mercy. Ridley he shows no remorse and guilt for his actions. He killed Samus' parents in cold blood and taunted her about eating her mother. Ridley only lives to cause destruction and bloodshed.

Compared to Ridley. Ganondorf's a saint.

Ridley is easily one of Nintendo's most sadistic and evil villains.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If someone believes their evil actions are just, does that make them less evil? If someone's motives are purely malicious but on a small scale, does that make them more evil then a self righteous villain who's crimes effect hundreds or millions?

This is why I don't believe in absolute goods or absolute evils. The topic is too complex to boil down to "x is evil, but y is evil-er".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whichever one causes the most harm.
What about the mindset of the person himself? I could wipe out a city with a sneeze but I'm not torturing people with waterboards in the process, am I? Jimmy down the street does that, and he's ten times less powerful.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I know, right? What's up with that.

Anyway, my Shrek body pillow just came in and I think it'll go nicely with my Shrek cardboard cutouts, Shrek wallpaper and, of course, Shrek carpets.
Yikes, this one I'm more concerned about tbh.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If someone believes their evil actions are just, does that make them less evil? If someone's motives are purely malicious but on a small scale, does that make them more evil then a self righteous villain who's crimes effect hundreds or millions?

This is why I don't believe in absolute goods or absolute evils. The topic is too complex to boil down to "x is evil, but y is evil-er".
Probably the best example of "evil but not as evil" is Dr. Doom.
people say funny valentine too for the anime side but honestly he's done a lot more bad than his motives are good

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ganon is more times made into a mindless drone than he is a sophisticated character, which is like in only the OG Zelda and a Link to the Past.
Major key point on why I prefer Ganondorf over Ganon. Don't even get me started on the waste of space and potential that is Calamity Ganon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom