• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The only thing that hurts this arguement is that people in Disney Parks have heard a remixed version of Mario Kart in EPCOT at the Wreck it Ralph 2 exhibit. Disney would know that Nintendo would immediately pounce on them for using music they weren't licensed to use. So its most likely that a Mario reference is appearing in the movie somehow. Especially since its a remade version of the Mario Kart track that you can't find anywhere else. This means Disney most likely remade the song.

I agree that one person can't speak for the whole company, but it definitely helps he is the Vice President of Disney Japan. And agree Nomura wouldn't just do whatever he wanted without consulting Disney. However if we take into the fact that Nintendo and Disney are working together in Wreck It Ralph 2 then the possibility of Sora opens up quite a bit.

Seems a bit odd though to keep the biggest name in gaming, literally, a secret all the way up to release but also happily flaunt Sonic in their ads and Bowser in the previous movies ads though, eh? I think Disney and Nintendo could be working on something together, especially considering that music is randomly playing there but something tells me it ain't Ralph. And Universal is working on a Mario movie and WB is working on the Pikachu movie so why in god's name would they have Mario Kart music in Disneyland if it's not for Mario Kart.

I actually have a crazy theory about this actually. That they ARE keeping it a surprise until the very end where they replace Sugar Rush with Mario Kart and Vanellope finds her home there after her game was shut down but I'm not really sure how realistic that is.

I do think Sora has an exceptionally better chance if Nintendo and Disney are already working together though. Fingers crossed.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Man seeing Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, K Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus, Mewtwo, Isabelle, Bowser Jr, and Wolf working together in cut scenes would’ve been dope.

World of Light looks amazing but what couldn’t been...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Samus Aran I know and love would sooner grab Ridley by the neck and suplex him over and over an hour a day before working together with him. Y'all forget she has POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER. smh
Don't forget he murdered her parents in cold blood. More the reason she'd never team up with him bigger threat or not.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think that a Sonic dlc rep is pretty much not happening at this point. And based on Sakurai's comments on the Rex Mii, I don't think it's looking good for any Xenoblade characters for this game. But why KOS-MOS? She's from Xenosaga, right? Why would she have a chance? Wasn't Xenosaga only on the PS2?
KOS-MOS had a cameo in Xenoblade 2
I don't think a cameo will really do much for her. Unless she's the protagonist of a relevant game, I doubt she'll be in.
Late reply, for which I apologize, but I'm going to go ahead and necro this conversation regardless, as I feel it wasn't adequately concluded.

In regards to whether or not Xenosaga was exclusive to the PS2: No. Xenosaga Episodes I&II saw a remake for the Nintendo DS in 2006.

It's also worthy to note that KOS-MOS does not have "a" cameo, she's Bandai-Namco's crossover darling, and though most of her appearances in the past were not on Nintendo Systems, after Nintendo acquired Monolith Soft in 2006, KOS-MOS has likewise seemed to migrate.
  • "Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier" for Nintendo DS in 2008, as a playable character.
  • "Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED" for Nintendo DS in 2010, as a playable character.
  • "Project X Zone" for Nintendo 3DS in 2012, as a playable character alongside T-elos
  • "Project X Zone 2" for Nintendo 3DS in 2015, as a playable character, this time alongside Xenoblade's Fiora
  • "Xenoblade Chronicles 2" for Nintendo Switch in 2017, sporting a brand new design as a Rare Blade

As to the question of "Why KOS-MOS?" Well, that's more complicated. It's pretty safe to say at this point that we're in uncharted territory, so all we can really do is take shots in the dark while clinging to what we believe to be reasonable arguments. With KOS-MOS, she checks a lot of boxes that make it fairly likely she was on "the list."
  • Adds a Bandai-Namco Character, which gives something to their fans while acknowledging the work they put in.
  • Adds a Xeno Character, which gives something to fans of Monolith Soft (without fans accusing Xenoblade of becoming "the new Fire Emblem")
  • Monolith Soft, and by extension Nintendo, have been aiding in her resurgence through continued cameo support and, with her new design, merchandising.
  • Offers unique moveset potential with a great many resources to draw from, several of which would translate easily to Smash.
But, of course, it's still only speculation at best, and the perception of a chance doesn't really mean much right now. I merely aim to elucidate.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't forget he murdered her parents in cold blood.
Yeah. WHICH GAVE HER THE PTSD. Honestly, real talk, the PTSD is actually big because it gives Samus some more humanization and something to stick out from other video game characters. Only issue of course, being that most fans didn't get to know this until Other M, meaning it seemed to come out of nowhere

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man seeing Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, K Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus, Mewtwo, Isabelle, Bowser Jr, and Wolf working together in cut scenes would’ve been dope.

Makes me wish that supposed leak involving the whole Heroes vs. Villains thing was true...

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

This would be really cool but..
Why Isabelle specifically along with the villains?'

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Too bad World of Light probably won't have team-ups like how SSE did...There was so much potential...

:ultlucas::ultrosalina:

:ultlucario::ultryu::ultincineroar::ultken:

:ultsimon::ultluigi::ultrichter:

:ultike::ultshulk:

:ultisabelle::ultsnake:

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Actually in game data suggests Prime 2 did plan Ridley appearing again alongside some concept art for Dark Meta Ridley iirc. Remember, Prime 2 was made in a single year or so meaning it got rushed. I'd like to see Kraid return too personally, he was planned in Prime 1 after all
I died of happiness seeing Brinstar Depths in ultimate. I loved the music, and it's one of my favorite smash stages overall.
Not to mention, it's the first game Kraid has been in for a while. And the first high-res official 3D model of Kraid.
Don't forget he murdered her parents in cold blood. More the reason she'd never team up with him bigger threat or not.
Don't forget that he also ate her Mom.
And taunted her using that fact.

And then killed her adoptive father, being a chozo.
Then continues to attempt to toy with her and kill her.

Come to think of it, Ridley has no good or heroic qualities, or those of a decent person.
Aside from that pity he kinda showed Samus when she was a kid when they first met... But he got over that pretty quickly.

Maybe they could unintentionally team up, though? Both of them going against Sylux, while also going against each other at the same time.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So how does the gaming awards work? Is there a presentation at the beginning where Nintendo may announce something? Does each company get some time to announce new games and stuff?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I died of happiness seeing Brinstar Depths in ultimate. I loved the music, and it's one of my favorite smash stages overall.
Not to mention, it's the first game Kraid has been in for a while. And the first high-res official 3D model of Kraid.

Don't forget that he also ate her Mom.
And taunted her using that fact.

And then killed her adoptive father, being a chozo.
Then continues to attempt to toy with her and kill her.

Come to think of it, Ridley has no good or heroic qualities, or those of a decent person.
Aside from that pity he kinda showed Samus when she was a kid when they first met... But he got over that pretty quickly.

Maybe they could unintentionally team up, though? Both of them going against Sylux, while also going against each other at the same time.
This here is why Ridley is easily among Nintendo's most evil and sadistic villains. He makes freakin Ganondorf look like a saint in comparison and he's supposed to be the KING OF EVIL. Ridley is only beaten out by Porky in terms of evilness.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, if antagonists are going to team up, I want Dark Pit to join them for whatevers and then immediately leave them as soon as someone orders him to do something.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
This here is why Ridley is easily among Nintendo's most evil and sadistic villains. He makes freakin Ganondorf look like a saint in comparison and he's supposed to be the KING OF EVIL. Ridley is only beaten out by Porky in terms of evilness.
Even Ganondorf has redeeming qualities.
In Wind Waker, you find out his motivation to take over Hyrule and get the Triforce in OoT was because he was sick of living in the desert and felt the Gerudo deserved better.

But then he kind of went insane, and "Ganon" took over.

Come to think of it, what has Porky done to be so evil? I've never played Mother 3 or Earthbound (yet), so I wouldn't know.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Seems a bit odd though to keep the biggest name in gaming, literally, a secret all the way up to release but also happily flaunt Sonic in their ads and Bowser in the previous movies ads though, eh? I think Disney and Nintendo could be working on something together, especially considering that music is randomly playing there but something tells me it ain't Ralph. And Universal is working on a Mario movie and WB is working on the Pikachu movie so why in god's name would they have Mario Kart music in Disneyland if it's not for Mario Kart.

I actually have a crazy theory about this actually. That they ARE keeping it a surprise until the very end where they replace Sugar Rush with Mario Kart and Vanellope finds her home there after her game was shut down but I'm not really sure how realistic that is.

I do think Sora has an exceptionally better chance if Nintendo and Disney are already working together though. Fingers crossed.
It's funny to think that we'll have more informed opinions on Kingdom Hearts in Smash after people see Ralph Breaks the Internet.
I do hope that Nintendo references are still in the movie, but highly doubtful considering Illumination is making a Mario movie, Warner Bros is in the works with Detective Pikachu, and Universal is underway with Super Nintendo Land to rival Disneyland's Star Wars Land and Avengers Land.

I'm not kidding when I say that my hopes and dreams for Sora in Smash fade away slowly every day

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Come to think of it, what has Porky done to be so evil? I've never played Mother 3 or Earthbound (yet), so I wouldn't know.
Bruh...You do not wanna know. It's so despicable I can't find the words to describe what that little monster had done...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So how does the gaming awards work? Is there a presentation at the beginning where Nintendo may announce something? Does each company get some time to announce new games and stuff?
You can watch last year's VGAs to find exactly how they do it.

It's kinda like "here's the nominations, here's the rewards, here's a break which may include orchestrations, interviews, and even occassionally, a trailer."

Noipoi

Howdy!
Too bad World of Light probably won't have team-ups like how SSE did...
Nah man, it's all about imagination! You make the team ups! For example:

I'm thinking about going through WoL with these guys :ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultcorrin::ultridley::ultkirby:

. Incineroar is always showing off and talking smack, especially to Ridley. Inkling thinks he's awesome. He's a big softie to Isabelle, though.
. The last thing Ridley wanted to do is be here with these idiots, but if Galeem destroys the universe he'll be taken out with it. He finds K Rool amusing.
. Corrin tries to use her tactician skills to assist her team and plan strategies, but these guys are chaos incarnate. She's learned to just go with the flow.
. Isabelle is scared to death of Ridley, and he knows it. He always tries to scare her until Incineroar stops him.
. K Rool is the wild card so to speak. You never know which alter ego he is that day until he opens his mouth.
. Inkling thinks saving the world is totally radical, she doesn't fully grasp the importance of what's going on. She's just having fun.
. Kirby actually feels really guilty about all his friends. His new "team" isn't the best, but they're all he's got.

Why yes I did write fanfics, thanks for asking.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Bruh...You do not wanna know. It's so despicable I can't find the words to describe what that little monster had done...
don't torture me like this
please inform me

i hunger for knowledge.

Plus, I really need to hear what someone could've done as a Nintendo antagonist to outdo Ridley in the evil department.
Only person I know who could be more evil is :ultpiranha:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nah man, it's all about imagination! You make the team ups! For example:

I'm thinking about going through WoL with these guys :ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultcorrin::ultridley::ultkirby:

. Incineroar is always showing off and talking smack, especially to Ridley. Inkling thinks he's awesome. He's a big softie to Isabelle, though.
. The last thing Ridley wanted to do is be here with these idiots, but if Galeem destroys the universe he'll be taken out with it. He finds K Rool amusing.
. Corrin tries to use her tactician skills to assist her team and plan strategies, but these guys are chaos incarnate. She's learned to just go with the flow.
. Isabelle is scared to death of Ridley, and he knows it. He always tries to scare her until Incineroar stops him.
. K Rool is the wild card so to speak. You never know which alter ego he is that day until he opens his mouth.
. Inkling thinks saving the world is totally radical, she doesn't fully grasp the importance of what's going on. She's just having fun.
. Kirby actually feels really guilty about all his friends. His new "team" isn't the best, but they're all he's got.

Why yes I did write fanfics, thanks for asking.
I need to step up my headcanons.

Calane

Smash Ace
Catch me up as I'm not into the dee ques...is "Eight" what we're calling the hero of Dragon Quest 8 because the heroes dont have actual names? Would Five be the hero from DQ 5 for instance?
No, that's actually his name. A lot of people don't know it, but most of the DQ heroes actually have names. For some reason, the hero of DQ8's name is just Eight. It's funny, but that's just how it is. I'll list some of the others for you:

DQ4 Hero: Solo (Male) / Sofia (Female)

DQ5 Hero: Abel

DQ6 Hero: Rek

DQ7 Hero: Arus (or Auster)

DQ8 Hero: Eight

I think you get the point. Just thought I'd let you know.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
You might seen this picture before, but this is too funny for me to look at when I found it.

Drg2gjJXQAAXNU3.jpg

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Guys, a horrible thought just occurred to me. If there is no Codexes or Palutena's Guidances in this game, that means we'll never get to hear what either of those have to say about Piranha Plant.

I'm not sure if I can be hyped for this game anymore knowing what could have been. /s obviously

NineS

Smash Lord
World of Light headcanon:
The spirit possessing :ultpikachu: is just Ryan Reynolds.

:ultpiranha: is Galeem.
:ultcloud: and :ultyounglink: are best buds despite the games they originate from and how their companies saw each other during each other's eras
:ultpalutena: throws a party and invites everyone to celebrate the defeat of Galeem
:ultkirby: and :ultkingdedede: and :ultyoshi: get their own table buffet tables at said party.
:ultsheik: is desperately trying to hide from and avoid :ultyounglink:, while observing :ultzelda: try to converse with :ultlink: who is simply staring at :ultganondorf: the entire time

:ultridley: and :ultkrool: and :ultbowser: are rivals constantly trying to out-scary the other

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Guys, a horrible thought just occurred to me. If there is no Codexes or Palutena's Guidances in this game, that means we'll never get to hear what either of those have to say about Piranha Plant.

I'm not sure if I can be hyped for this game anymore knowing what could have been. /s obviously
I don't think we'd even get THAT anyways because DLC characters didn't get personalized conversations in the last game...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think we'd even get THAT anyways because DLC characters didn't get personalized conversations in the last game...
And that game was the lesser for it.

Anyway this DLC seems better planned in general then the last one, unsurprisingly. There's an actual season pass rather then them just charging for each character and stage individually like in Smash 4. Hopefully DLC characters will get the full base roster treatment this time, including their own classic mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom