• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
World of Light headcanon:
The spirit possessing :ultpikachu: is just Ryan Reynolds.

:ultpiranha: is Galeem.
:ultcloud: and :ultyounglink: are best buds despite the games they originate from and how their companies saw each other during each other's eras
:ultpalutena: throws a party and invites everyone to celebrate the defeat of Galeem
:ultkirby: and :ultkingdedede: and :ultyoshi: get their own table buffet tables at said party.
:ultsheik: is desperately trying to hide from and avoid :ultyounglink:, while observing :ultzelda: try to converse with :ultlink: who is simply staring at :ultganondorf: the entire time

:ultridley: and :ultkrool: and :ultbowser: are rivals constantly trying to out-scary the other
A few of mine:
:ultolimar: and :ultrobin: started to make plans for their final assault as soon as they both rescued, since they have experience at leading an army.
:ultdiddy:,:ulticeclimbers: and :ultbowserjr: absolutely loves riding Rathalos, while :ultlittlemac: and :ultcloud: hates it.
:ultdoc: insists on checking up every fighter they rescued, even villains. :ultsamus: was almost going to strangle someone when he wanted to make sure :ultridley: is okay.
:ultsnake: and :ultvillager: felt sorry afterwards for not acting brave as others. :ultinkling: assured them it's okay to be afraid of something this big.
:ultrosalina: and :ultpalutena: are the first in "punch Galeem" line for hurting Luma and Pit.
They meet with DLC characters along the way.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Yeah. WHICH GAVE HER THE PTSD. Honestly, real talk, the PTSD is actually big because it gives Samus some more humanization and something to stick out from other video game characters. Only issue of course, being that most fans didn't get to know this until Other M, meaning it seemed to come out of nowhere
Honestly I think her going to mush around a monster she had killed multiple times before was an awful way to do it. Especially considering she has never shown any issues with Ridley before.
That being compounded with the fact that a lot of the story of that game having her letting a guy we are told is super cool boss her around for no real reason(and to a stupid degree. your armor isnt going to destroy the station put on the defensive stuff at least) meaning it's yet another thing in a long line that makes her look weak and stupid. :/

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Yeah. WHICH GAVE HER THE PTSD. Honestly, real talk, the PTSD is actually big because it gives Samus some more humanization and something to stick out from other video game characters. Only issue of course, being that most fans didn't get to know this until Other M, meaning it seemed to come out of nowhere
The issue was more how it was handled and how the game overall was written than it just coming out of nowhere. The game was a mess from a narrative standpoint and there would have been many better ways to have introduced it into the game IMO.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Seems a bit odd though to keep the biggest name in gaming, literally, a secret all the way up to release but also happily flaunt Sonic in their ads and Bowser in the previous movies ads though, eh? I think Disney and Nintendo could be working on something together, especially considering that music is randomly playing there but something tells me it ain't Ralph. And Universal is working on a Mario movie and WB is working on the Pikachu movie so why in god's name would they have Mario Kart music in Disneyland if it's not for Mario Kart.

I actually have a crazy theory about this actually. That they ARE keeping it a surprise until the very end where they replace Sugar Rush with Mario Kart and Vanellope finds her home there after her game was shut down but I'm not really sure how realistic that is.

I do think Sora has an exceptionally better chance if Nintendo and Disney are already working together though. Fingers crossed.
I think Disney may be trying to keep the part with Mario in it a secret. Or at least Mario Kart aspect of it, I like your theory of Vanellope ending up in Mario Kart after her game was shut down. Regardless of what it is, there is definitely some sort of partnership going on with Disney and Nintendo right now, because there is no way Disney would be able to play that music and not get in trouble for it if they weren't working with Nintendo. I suppose we will have to wait and see what the big surprise is.

Agree I hope he does make it, he would bring some very interesting fighting mechanics if he does. We will have to wait and see on him as well, it won't be long until we find out who the second SE rep is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Even Ganondorf has redeeming qualities.
In Wind Waker, you find out his motivation to take over Hyrule and get the Triforce in OoT was because he was sick of living in the desert and felt the Gerudo deserved better.

But then he kind of went insane, and "Ganon" took over.

Come to think of it, what has Porky done to be so evil? I've never played Mother 3 or Earthbound (yet), so I wouldn't know.
Porky is that asshole neighbour you had as a kid in Earthbound. In Mother 3... Hoo boy, his army's similarities to the nazis wasn't unintentional, and he ****ed around with people and nature for his own amusement. Also, he did the most heinous act of all, which is what will never got Mother 3 localized as a result.
He's a white guy in power and introduced capitalism to ruin society

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I think her going to mush around a monster she had killed multiple times before was an awful way to do it. Especially considering she has never shown any issues with Ridley before.
That being compounded with the fact that a lot of the story of that game having her letting a guy we are told is super cool boss her around for no real reason(and to a stupid degree. your armor isnt going to destroy the station put on the defensive stuff at least) meaning it's yet another thing in a long line that makes her look weak and stupid. :/
Thing is, PTSD works like that sometimes, if a guy gets PTSD from a car accident and nearly died, he'd have difficulty driving. But after a while, he feels better. 50 times later, still fine. Suddenly at one random time later, it kicks back in. PTSD isn't really understood in media I feel cause Other M is steaming hot garbage but I can at least somewhat defend that even if it needs to be pre-established

D

Deleted member

Porky is that ******* neighbour you had as a kid in Earthbound. In Mother 3... Hoo boy, his army's similarities to the nazis wasn't unintentional, and he ****ed around with people and nature for his own amusement. Also, he did the most heinous act of all, which is what will never got Mother 3 localized as a result.
He's a white guy in power and introduced capitalism to ruin society
Can we bump this post because him and Eric Sparrow should be the two most evil people in gaming.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Seems a bit odd though to keep the biggest name in gaming, literally, a secret all the way up to release but also happily flaunt Sonic in their ads and Bowser in the previous movies ads though, eh? I think Disney and Nintendo could be working on something together, especially considering that music is randomly playing there but something tells me it ain't Ralph. And Universal is working on a Mario movie and WB is working on the Pikachu movie so why in god's name would they have Mario Kart music in Disneyland if it's not for Mario Kart.

I actually have a crazy theory about this actually. That they ARE keeping it a surprise until the very end where they replace Sugar Rush with Mario Kart and Vanellope finds her home there after her game was shut down but I'm not really sure how realistic that is.

I do think Sora has an exceptionally better chance if Nintendo and Disney are already working together though. Fingers crossed.
I'd say there's a solid chance they're working on a movie or television series together. Even if Nintendo is working with other companies, it's highly unlikely, and I would even say there's no way Disney would turn down an opportunity to handle one of Nintendo's prestigious IPs.

We likely wouldn't find out about something like that until D23 2019, unless they just make a random press release one day or show it during a direct, which would both be odd.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Samus' PTSD was actually quite realistic. Attacks pop up at the drop of a hat even if the last one was a long time ago.

The problem was that it came at a time where the fact that she had PTSD was unknown to the public barring hardcore nerds, and the writing in Other M was so bad that it effecitvely made her character worse instead of being a humanizing moment.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
WoL head-canon(s) before I go to bed:
After seeing how Galeem would wipe them all out, :ultshulk: used Monado Speed on Kirby so his Warp Star would 100% escape the beams, giving the gang a fighting chance assuming that Kirby can bring them all back.
Another one about :ultshulk:, but he feels remorse that he couldn't save everyone from the first assault similar to how he couldn't save Fiora, and uses his visions to notify the fighters about the second assault when it occurs and ultimately weakens Galeem to the point where they can fight it.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
don't torture me like this
please inform me

i hunger for knowledge.

Plus, I really need to hear what someone could've done as a Nintendo antagonist to outdo Ridley in the evil department.
Only person I know who could be more evil is :ultpiranha:
I know this is really late, but you asked for it dude.
In Earthbound, he starts off as Ness's neighbor and friend. He and Ness learn about the world's impending doom at the hands of Giygas, and unlike Ness, Porky's cowardice gets best of him. While Ness goes off to save the world, Porky doesn't show up again for awhile. He returns later in the game, where he kidnaps Ness's companion Paula, with the intent of using her as a human sacrifice for a cult called the Happy-Happyists. When Ness defeats the cultists, Porky apologizes to Ness, but then says that he's lying and flees. He shows up later, living in luxury in Fourside with his dad, and when Ness confronts him, he flies away in a helicopter and doesn't appear until the end of the game. It's revealed that he's been inadvertently causing problems for Ness and his friends along their journey and that he's played an active part in fueling Giygas's growing power. When the heroes time travel to the Cave of the Past to fight Giygas, Porky is his right-hand subordinate. He taunts Ness and says that he serves Giygas now. He turns off the Devil's Machine, releasing Giygas's true form and then flees to another era in time (presumably where/whenever Mother 3 takes place). It's also presumed throughout the game that Porky is jealous of Ness and his friends. His parents hate him and it's implied that they're abusive, so when Porky is too cowardly to join Ness on his quest to save the world, he's left all alone. This causes him to snap, and confused, he decides to take it out on Ness in traditional bully fashion.

Anyways, he shows up again in Mother 3, as the king of the Nowhere Islands and leader of the Pigmask Army. He doesn't appear in person until the very end, but a lot of horrible stuff happens as a result of his control. Firstly, the Pigmasks are all brainwashed soldiers from different time periods that carry out his deeds (they're basically Nazis). He also kidnapped Dr. Andonuts (Jeff's dad, who was also in Earthbound) and forces him to create chimeras out of the animals in Lucas's hometown of Tazmily. One of these chimeras, the Mecha-Drago, kills Lucas's mother Hinawa, which in turn tears Lucas's family apart. His father Flint grows distant, and his brother Claus runs away. Later on, Porky has Tazmily completely modernized and issues brainwashing devices called "Happy Boxes" to be placed in everyone's household, with the intent of making the villagers love him unconditionally as their ruler. He also finds Claus's body, who, in an attempt to avenge his mother by killing the Mecha-Drago, fails miserably. The Pigmasks rebuild Claus's body and brainwash him into becoming their general (referred to as the Masked Man, but you don't find out that he's Claus til later). Porky intends to use Claus to pull the seven needles, which will bring about the end of the world (which Porky wants to rebuild in his image). Eventually, you finally encounter Porky in New Pork City, where he reveals that everything he did to Tazmily village was done out of sheer boredom. While battling Lucas and his companions, he also states that he is immortal and wanted to eradicate all life in the world just so he can be the only person left alive. When his spider mech runs out of power, he locks himself in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, which once shut, can never be reopened again. So he's left there unable to die, unable to leave, and unable to be truly defeated. And... then Lucas has to go fight to the death his brainwashed brother in the saddest moment in gaming history... all because of Porky and his horrible plans.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but I hope this was insightful. Seriously though, Porky is a really complex character, and that's what makes him such an interesting villain. The weird thing is that in both games, you feel sorry for Porky despite everything he's done. He's still just a kid after all; a lost, neglected, abused kid who wanted nothing more than to be loved. But yea, he ends up becoming a real piece of s***.
Having fulfilled my duty as a Mother nerd, off to bed I go!

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I'm back after a long day at work and don't have time to go through all these pages. Did I miss anything in the past eight hours?

Noipoi

Howdy!
WoL head-canon(s) before I go to bed:
After seeing how Galeem would wipe them all out, :ultshulk: used Monado Speed on Kirby so his Warp Star would 100% escape the beams, giving the gang a fighting chance assuming that Kirby can bring them all back.
Another one about :ultshulk:, but he feels remorse that he couldn't save everyone from the first assault similar to how he couldn't save Fiora, and uses his visions to notify the fighters about the second assault when it occurs and ultimately weakens Galeem to the point where they can fight it.
Maybe of he did something other than grunt the others might've fared better.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What's the most effective thing he could've said though? "Run"?
It's not like any of the fighters there can really escape a galaxy size explosion.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
If I'm honest, I just think Shulk just knew they weren't going to win. He stands there in shock and gasps because he can't believe they're gonna get easily wiped out. Grunting would make as much difference as warning them or telling everyone to run.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering how Shulk reacts to visions in Xenoblade story scenes...

He probably isn't as useful as you people think, lol.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
The only character I believe who could've canonically escape Galeem's beams is my boi, as he could've TANKED the beams :yoshi:

Nah I'm kidding, it's :ultbayonetta: because she can travel between dimensions at will...
Yoshi simply jumps and heavy armor's the entire laser beam. EZ

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Now that i think about it, weren´t the Angels in Bayonetta a spirit too? Doesnt that mean the beams were multidimensional somehow?

osby

Smash Obsessed
The only character I believe who could've canonically escape Galeem's beams is my boi, as he could've TANKED the beams :yoshi:

Nah I'm kidding, it's :ultbayonetta: because she can travel between dimensions at will...
Eh, to be honest, Bayo probably wouldn't run. Dodging? Sure. Escaping? Nah.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now that i think about it, weren´t the Angels in Bayonetta a spirit too? Doesnt that mean the beams were multidimensional somehow?
Easy way to determine who's affected.

>Does the thing exist?

>If yes, is the thing Kirby?

>If no, its affected.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I just felt like writing this.

With 23 days till Super Smash Brothers Ultimate releases on the Switch. We have a game with over 70 fighters, over likely more than 1000 spirits and a huge Adventure Mode to dig into. I know you guys really like to speculate and push for your favourite characters but let's just admire the work Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team has given us. The game looks so polished and i have a huge feeling that it will make a bigger splash in the competitive scene with Nintendo actively pushing for it, (more so than Smash 4)

Regarding the DLC Fighters, i'm very confident that it's going to be filled with amazing characters and some fan favourites, Let's enjoy what we have and what we'll soon get.

(If i'm honest, i only wrote this because i wanted to show off my new icon.)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just felt like writing this.

With 23 days till Super Smash Brothers Ultimate releases on the Switch. We have a game with over 70 fighters, over likely more than 1000 spirits and a huge Adventure Mode to dig into. I know you guys really like to speculate and push for your favourite characters but let's just admire the work Sakurai and the rest of the Smash team has given us. The game looks so polished and i have a huge feeling that it will make a bigger splash in the competitive scene with Nintendo actively pushing for it, (more so than Smash 4)

Regarding the DLC Fighters, i'm very confident that it's going to be filled with amazing characters and some fan favourites, Let's enjoy what we have and what we'll soon get.

(If i'm honest, i only wrote this because i wanted to show off my new icon.)
I can't believe cardcaptor sakurai is flipping me off.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We never saw his spirit go back into his body, but I guess it was implied it did?
Or... Luigi is both a Spirit AND a fighter! This means every Spirit can be playable via DLC! Mumkhar for Smash!

EDIT: What a nice 5000th post. Time flies.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Luigi was a spirit before it was cool.
Truly, the green Italian plumber is a trend-setter.

D

Deleted member

If you ask a casual gamer who he or she is more likely to recognize, between Banjo and Steve, Steve would be the overwhelming response. I think that's what Nintendo is aiming for with the DLC, and at the end of the day they're a business. It makes perfect sense to choose the character that would produce a bigger reaction and is more familiar to the average Nintendo fan. Banjo isn't a bad character, and his fans can continue to support him as much as they want, but all the hate I've seen thrown at Steve and his fans makes me want Banjo less.
Very late to this, sleep and all that
But I agree. I wasn’t saying banjo is more popular than Steve. He isn’t by a long shot. I’m just saying banjo isn’t as obscure as some poeple make him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom