• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm super excited for World of Light, and honestly at this point, Spirits proper as well.
I spent some time stewing on it for a while after the direct.

D

Deleted member

Guys we've gone 1300+ pages farther than any thread has ever gone
Also it still blows my mind that :ultmario::ultpikachu::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultcloud::ultsimon: is a possible matchup
It's just ****ing surreal

D

Deleted member

You know Sakurai himself said that Ultimate is largely about creating your dream matchups
Does anyone have any dreams that are possible now that certain characters are in Ultimate?
:ultsamus:vs:ultsimon:
(Because their games are where the Metroidvania genre got it's name)
and :ulticeclimbers:vs:ultryu:vs:ultkrool:
(I dunno why it just seems super cool to me)

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know Sakurai himself said that Ultimate is largely about creating your dream matchups
Does anyone have any dreams that are possible now that certain characters are in Ultimate?
I mean, I already have :ultpikachu: vs :ultkirby: and :ultsonic: vs :ultmario:. Gonna be honest, I'm not that impressed by the newcomers this time. Castlevania and Splatoon were cool and I love Isabelle but this might be the only game where I'm more interested in old match-ups, rather than new ones.

Though, :ultisabelle: vs anyone is bound to give good results.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
How about a game? What character would you use and what spirits would you use if you wanted to maintain a theme?

I'll go first;

Bayonetta
Main Spirit: Morrigan
Secondaries: Carmilla, Tharja, Medusa

D

Deleted member

How about a game? What character would you use and what spirits would you use if you wanted to maintain a theme?

I'll go first;

Bayonetta
Are we going with confirmed spirits only?
Cuz I don't know all of them or which ones aren't confirmed yet :ohwell:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So with Katalina very likely deconfirmed, will she become like people were predicting would happen to Incineroar when the Grinch Leak was still relevant?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Sakurai saying that? Now I'm curious.

Sign me up for:
:ultpit: vs :ultsamus:
I have many reasons for this, but one of em is that these two are kinda like franchise siblings, so seeing these two go at it would be nice, while seeing em train each other like pals.

:ultbowser: vs :ultkingdedede: vs :ultkrool:
The roster of "kings" just keeps on growing, so now we got 3 big ones being able to go at it, unless you count the King of Evil that is Ganon, then we got 4.
Honestly, the combination of villains going at each other is pretty big now.

As for that "Spirits" game up there, I'm up for something Kid Icarus-ish:

Pit
Main: Viridi
Secondary: Phosphora, Medusa, and Arlon or Rathalos
(Only Viridi and Rathalos have been shown as spirits somewhere atm).

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
There are a bunch of secrets in it that I'm going to pick apart on the 7th lol
While it's good we know all of the roster in advanced, I like how so much of WoL is still a mystery and that the mode basically went unleaked. If the game starts leaking before the 7th, I'm jumping ship. Maybe Galeem is TabuuTwo, but I'd rather find out that for myself.

D

Deleted member

Nah make em up or make assumptions.
Hmmm
Okay
Character: :ultisabelle:
Main Spirit: Zoe Trent (I'm hopeful, okay?)
Support Spirits: Poochy, Sylveon, Chocobo

Try and guess the theme I had in mind

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, I managed to get caught up with DLC stuff and a few other things:

1) Glad to hear Katalina was a mistake in terms of being a DLC character. That opens things up a bit, and while i’m sure the character would grow on me, that leaves more space for somebody I might be especially interested in.

However, this calls other things from Hitagi into question imo.

2) I’m quite glad that Sakurai makes the calls on characters and that he largely bases it on gameplay potential. This is exactly why I despise the usage of the word “rep”.

Make no mistake, it’s not wrong to want a character solely because you like them or a series. But I do think it’s misguided to say, “This series ABSOLUTELY needs/deserves a new rep”.

To my understanding, that’s not how it works. There may be some “slots” like for Incineroar or a Pokémon, but it’s not like it’s a game of striving to “represent” every facet of every game.

Like, if they do add Poochy...what does he really represent that Yoshi hypothetically wouldn’t? Then, if it’s just, “Yoshi needs another character”, which I do disagree with, then what stops us there? Does everyone get in because they “represent” something? I think we’re well past that.

Characters, by default, represent things. That’s obvious. However, this is a party/fighting game that sells because of a mix of characters/gameplay. I mean really, if the game was trash in terms of gameplay, nobody would buy it. It boils down to gameplay imo.

The more interesting characters that get in, the better. It isn’t to say certain picks can’t be interesting, but if you’re asking for $5.99 per character then they better damn well be awesome based on identity and ability. Otherwise sales may be impacted, or hype is deflated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are a bunch of secrets in it that I'm going to pick apart on the 7th lol
While I'll be playing at midnight launch, I probably won't dig into WoL right away. I'll be too busy trying out the main Smash modes with my brothers and doing a few runs of Classic Mode, lol. I'll probably start it the next day, though.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So with Katalina very likely deconfirmed, will she become like people were predicting would happen to Incineroar when the Grinch Leak was still relevant?
I mean, a lot of us were actually thinking Incineroar was what Piranha plant actually is: Late addition incentive DLC to explain why he didn't make the banner. And he'd have been a pretty hype incentive DLC too, considering it's Pokemon

Obviously it's all moot now, but I know a lot of supporters who were rationalizing it like this.

D

Deleted member

So I was thinking
What if the first party sword rep is just
I'm joking

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
While it's good we know all of the roster in advanced, I like how so much of WoL is still a mystery and that the mode basically went unleaked. If the game starts leaking before the 7th, I'm jumping ship. Maybe Galeem is TabuuTwo, but I'd rather find out that for myself.
Same. As soon as the game starts leaking (and it will) I'm ****ing off of SmashBoards until I beat WoL lol

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Secret hope is Galeem is a secret playable character (The real character 70).

It'd be awesome if Smash made an actual original, playable character.

Btw prepare for this game to get leaked in 2 weeks, as per usual

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I'll go first;

Bayonetta
I’m gonna have a nice little Nintendo League of Villains

K. Rool or Ridley
Main Spirit: Porky (Earthbound option if it exists)
Secondaries: Pig Ganon, Black Shadow, Hades

I’m also game for a Cat Crew

Incineroar
Main Spirit: Big the Cat
Secondaries: Felyne (Monster Hunter), any Animal Crossing Cat, Cat Mario

D

Deleted member

Guys I think I found our sword character:

971.jpg

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Detective Pikachu costume should be DLC and voiced by Ryan Renolds.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, or at least the costume part. Free advertising.
Same. The first day of release I'll be playing with friends, so I'll have to beat world of light during the rest of the weekend quick. I don't know if I'll be able to avoid spoilers, but I'm gonna try

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Everybody do me a favor, okay? In the few days before Ultimate's release, I want you to go back and play Smash 64. Play a match or two as every character. Use all their moves. See how complete of a game Smash 64 is? Watch a competitive Smash 64 match, preferably something with Isai because he doesn't like Pikachu dittos. See how people are playing that game what, twenty years later?
We're about to get that again. All over again.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Secret hope is Galeem is a secret playable character (The real character 70).

It'd be awesome if Smash made an actual original, playable character.

Btw prepare for this game to get leaked in 2 weeks, as per usual
I always though it would be cool if they took the concept of Dragon King The Fighting Hame our of it.

Forged from the depth of the game code by Tabuu. He is a warrior long sense forgotten. You abandoned him. And now he’s here to take his revenge!

I imagine him being intentionally low-poly (like Akira) and silent. But a deadly and powerful Akuma-esque Fighter. Or She. I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter.

D

Deleted member

I always though it would be cool if they took the concept of Dragon King The Fighting Hame our of it.

Forged from the depth of the game code by Tabuu. He is a warrior long sense forgotten. You abandoned him. And now he’s here to take his revenge!

I imagine him being intentionally low-poly (like Akira) and silent. But a deadly and powerful Akuma-esque Fighter. Or She. I don’t know. It really doesn’t matter.
I'd call them Beta Fighter or Dragon Fighter.
And it would be ****ing amazing if that happened.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
World of Light has the potential to surprise. I'm expecting a long series of event matches, but who knows what it really consists of. There could be a combination of things. There could be lots of full platforming stages, all designed to pay homage to the series they come from. Those stages could be filled with secrets that rely on abilities gained through spirits. There could be mini-game areas on the map where you go to play stuff like Break The Targets. While there may not be a lot of cut-scenes, there could be lots of NPCs to "talk" with for story.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Eh, tbh, Tabuu never strike me as a close-combatant. Though make Off-Waves his Final Smash and I'm good.

World of Light has the potential to surprise. I'm expecting a long series of event matches, but who knows what it really consists of. There could be a combination of things. There could be lots of full platforming stages, all designed to pay homage to the series they come from. Those stages could be filled with secrets that rely on abilities gained through spirits. There could be mini-game areas on the map where you go to play stuff like Break The Targets. While there may not be a lot of cut-scenes, there could be lots of NPCs to "talk" with for story.
I wouldn't expect any platforming levels. And it seems any puzzle or mini-game will be on map.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What was the context of the "first party swordsman leak"?
guy doesn't know who it is, but knows is first party? why?
normal sword or something like laser sword?
how obscure could be?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This thread just died.
Sad.
Also I wll start trashtalking in name of Geno.
Anyone that doesnt support him already has wooden teeths.
Like for Dental Hy-Geno, ignore for termites in your mouth.
But what if you're like me and never liked Geno?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Listen, I know Travis isn't first party, but he has a sword and he might as well be and- and I just really want him in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom