• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love Incineroar a whole bunch and I'm happy we got a fun wrestler with a boatload of personality...but if we had gotten Mimikyu as a long reach ghostly character and Starman as a wrestler I wouldn't have complained. I actually have a Mimikyu plush in my living room and his Pokeball look is so cute!

Incin's my boy tho

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Here's what I'm going to do first:
  1. Game releases. I immediately seek out as many World of Light spoilers as I possibly can.
  2. Without confirming the accuracy of any of them, I will begin posting those spoilers on every Smash-related site I can find.
  3. I will even privately message people the spoilers using clickbaity titles unrelated to World of Light that promise lots of money and free stuff.
  4. I will then play World of Light for my first time through, but I will do it as a Let's Play. I will immediately talk about all of the spoilers at the beginning of the very first episode.
  5. During my Let's Play, I will complain endlessly about the Grinch leak and completely ignore any and all good things about World of Light. I'll probably even forget that I'm playing it.
  6. I'll play all the way up to the final battle, and then just end the series. I won't finish the final battle. Ever.

Pakky

Smash Hero
*Jigglypuff cries in distance*
Which affects game play because it provides a different element and is the only one to do so.

You, got it! You see what I'm dishing.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm going to be direct: Decidueye and Primarina can do more unique stuff but in a fighting game Incineroar makes more sense.
Sadly those unique things are kinda bad in Pokemon too...

Long Reach and Liquid Voice are the worst abilities in the game, due to them presenting promise and then dashing your hopes.

:ultincineroar: Has some rather run of the mill stuff in Pokemon, however its all good and effective in singles or doubles.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Long Reach and Liquid voice are the worst abilities in the game, due to them presenting promise and then dashing your hopes.
I didn't played it, so I'll take your word for it.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Here's what I'm going to do first:
  1. Game releases. I immediately seek out as many World of Light spoilers as I possibly can.
  2. Without confirming the accuracy of any of them, I will begin posting those spoilers on every Smash-related site I can find.
  3. I will even privately message people the spoilers using clickbaity titles unrelated to World of Light that promise lots of money and free stuff.
  4. I will then play World of Light for my first time through, but I will do it as a Let's Play. I will immediately talk about all of the spoilers at the beginning of the very first episode.
  5. During my Let's Play, I will complain endlessly about the Grinch leak and completely ignore any and all good things about World of Light. I'll probably even forget that I'm playing it.
  6. I'll play all the way up to the final battle, and then just end the series. I won't finish the final battle. Ever.
I like your style

D

Deleted member

As a RH fan our idea of a character is usually just an amalgam of all the RH games represented in one character’s moveset.
No I mean at it's core it would be time-based attacks
I really need to be more clear :facepalm:
I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

As a RH fan our idea of a character is usually just an amalgam of all the RH games represented in one character’s moveset.
I have that same idea for the Fantastic Four.

You play mostly as the Thing, but the special moves transform you for a time as the other members of the team (Reed Richards on the side special, Susan Storm on the down one and Johny/Spider-Man for the up special).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Long Reach and Liquid Voice are the worst abilities in the game, due to them presenting promise and then dashing your hopes.

:ultincineroar: Has some rather run of the mill stuff in Pokemon, however its all good and effective in singles or doubles.
Honestly, it shouldn't matter if the moves are terrible. Why would Sakurai say, "LOL those moves are sooooo baaaad!! No way I'm letting those competitive failures in Smash!!"

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

To be fair, you can count all the good Pokemon in Gen 7 on one hand (barring mythical/legendary pokemon).

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Listen, I know Travis isn't first party, but he has a sword and he might as well be and- and I just really want him in the game.
Lol at first I thought you were talking about me, because my name is Travis

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I see people are still using the dumb as hell "an archer character would be redundant because Link and Pit's neutral specials exist" train of thought.

Pro tip: If you thought it was stupid when people thought Bowser eliminated the need for a fiery grappler, I'm right there with you. Just realize that if you think a single neutral special represents all of archery, you're doing the same thing and are, thus, a hypocrite.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
To be fair, you can count all the good Pokemon in Gen 7 on one hand (barring mythical/legendary pokemon).
I can't count all the good gen 7 Pokemon on one hand. I can think of at least ten. In fact, I'd argue that gen 7 has the best-designed Pokemon out of all the Pokemon

Edit: and this is coming from someone who has been playing since Red and Blue

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Honestly, it shouldn't matter if the moves are terrible. Why would Sakurai say, "LOL those moves are sooooo baaaad!! No way I'm letting those competitive failures in Smash!!"
"Sakurai sir, who should be the next pokemon rep?"
"Bring the smogon banned list"

D

Deleted member

I didn't played it, so I'll take your word for it.
Long Reach is interesting, as it makes contact moves into non-contact moves. This prevents you from being affected by things like Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, or Flame Body. The real problem with it is that it's exclusive to Decidueye, and it's not the kind of ability that elevates a Pokemon from mediocre to good. I feel like it would be alright if a fighting type could get it, but alas.

Liquid Voice turns sound based moves to water type, but unlike the -ate abilities (which also change a move's type) Liquid Voice does not increase the power of the moves outside of STAB.

I can't count all the good gen 7 Pokemon on one hand. I can think of at least ten. In fact, I'd argue that gen 7 has the best-designed Pokemon out of all the Pokemon
He's not talking about design.

D

Deleted member

One of my friends would have loved to join this conversation about Pokémon (he is living in Madrid now). He is a huge fan of Pokémon.

Although he loves Gengar the most, he doesn’t consider himself a Gengunner, because he likes to try every Pokémon to find the best strategies for them before rating one.

He is excited to play as Incineroar in Ultimate, even when he wanted Gengar more.

I am still in contact with him, and at the moment he’s trying to get a new record of shinies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Decidueye
Incineroar
Primarina
Lycanroc
Mimikyu
Golisopod
Ribombee
Lurantis
That is one very mutated hand
Your hand has like 80 fingers?
I wasn't referring to the designs. I was talking about practicality. A lot of Alolan mons are borderline useless in competitive play. To say that Incineroar has it better than Primarina and Decidueye in terms of utility is not saying much at all, lol

It's a shame really. My favorite Pokemon happens to come from Gen 7, and it's seemingly ignored/forgotten by its own parent company.
__silvally_and_type_null_pokemon_drawn_by_ryukureiart__sample-50937f23e55a425ac455d7a579f57969.jpg

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Long Reach is interesting, as it makes contact moves into non-contact moves. This prevents you from being affected by things like Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, or Flame Body. The real problem with it is that it's exclusive to Decidueye, and it's not the kind of ability that elevates a Pokemon from mediocre to good. I feel like it would be alright if a fighting type could get it, but alas.

Liquid Voice turns sound based moves to water type, but unlike the -ate abilities (which also change a move's type) Liquid Voice does not increase the power of the moves outside of STAB.

He's not talking about design.
I'd argue that there are more than five good competitive pokemon

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wasn't referring to the designs. I was talking about practicality. A lot of Alolan mons are borderline useless in competitive play. To say that Incineroar has it better than Primarina and Decidueye in terms of utility is not saying much at all, lol

It's a shame really. My favorite Pokemon happens to come from Gen 7, and it's seemingly ignored/forgotten by its own parent company.
View attachment 177992
The tropical island life has made the fauna (...and the flora-fauna) quite lazy.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 177992
The dumb staff ladder on Showdown proves Silvally would be extremely broken if Multi Attack changed Silvally's type to one of the opponent's weaknesses before attacking.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly Sun and Moon was my favorite generation since Gold and Silver. I loved all those pikas and the aesthetic was beautiful and the story was great. Plus, Guzma!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 177992
Still we have
Decidueye
Incineroar
Primarina
Lycanroc
Salazzle
Lurantis
Mimikyu
Golisopod
Silvally

Y'all are stupid /s

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Interesting, we're discussing the possibility of Decidueye as DLC? He was my supported gen 7 Pokemon, and while I accept Incineroar, I'd love it if Decidueye got in as well. In my eyes though, his chances are as good as dead. Which is a shame, an archer would be great.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

View attachment 177992
Ah, I see. Still, I think there are more than five good competitive Pokemon. I could be wrong though. My favorite pokemon is
f67150e7d62e3869d264fec89fd449b6.jpg
so I know what you mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom