• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Everybody do me a favor, okay? In the few days before Ultimate's release, I want you to go back and play Smash 64. Play a match or two as every character. Use all their moves. See how complete of a game Smash 64 is? Watch a competitive Smash 64 match, preferably something with Isai because he doesn't like Pikachu dittos. See how people are playing that game what, twenty years later?
We're about to get that again. All over again.
I want a N64 Mini to play that game and some Rareware games if possible.

Also, how likely is Crash now after the Hitagi twist?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know Sakurai himself said that Ultimate is largely about creating your dream matchups
Does anyone have any dreams that are possible now that certain characters are in Ultimate?
Obviously Mega Man, Simon and Pit vs. anyone.

(though the game still needs a Captain N costume for the Mii Gunner).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Been off Smashboards for about a day, and I'm hearing Katalina is somewhat deconfirmed.

Ignoring my relief with this news, I hope this shows people that we need to see a leaker's actual track record with Ultimate and other games before we take what they say to heart. Verge saying, "Yeah, I'll vouch for Hitagi," isn't enough to make Katalina the most likely DLC character.

D

Deleted member

YES YES YES YES
YES!
I legit thought I was the only one who wanted Captain N content
I'm predicting we'll see him as at least a spirit though. :3
also this says it all:
1542292906468.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

beans

Smash Lord
Been off Smashboards for about a day, and I'm hearing Katalina is somewhat deconfirmed.

Ignoring my relief with this news, I hope this shows people that we need to see a leaker's actual track record with Ultimate and other games before we take what they say to heart. Verge saying, "Yeah, I'll vouch for Hitagi," isn't enough to make Katalina the most likely DLC character.
Apparently it was a game of telephone where the info became more and more different as it went on.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Plans for Ultimate:
1. Leave SmashBoards when the game starts leaking
2. Don't come back to SmashBoards until sometime in January as I'm not getting Ultimate until a few weeks after it releases
3. Soon as I start up the game, pick Mario and do an 8-Player Smash on Temple with the starting 8 (with something like 10-15 stocks each)
4. Do some regular matches as Mario on random stages to get a better feel of the mechanics (haven't played Smash for over a year)
5. Do Mario's Classic mode campaign, and maybe some of the other original 8's ones
6. Get going with WoL and begin to unlock the other characters

What are other people's immediate plans?

Last edited:

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
Plans for Ultimate:
2. Don't come back to SmashBoards until sometime in January as I'm not getting Ultimate until a few weeks after it releases
3. Soon as I start up the game, pick Mario and do an 8-Player Smash on Temple (with something like 10-15 stocks each)
4. Do some regular matches as Mario on random stages to get a better feel of the mechanics (haven't played Smash for over a year)
5. Do Mario's Classic mode campaign, and maybe some of the other original 8's ones

World of Light

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Best part of Katalina being dead is that LC got BTFO'd again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Plans for Ultimate:
3. Soon as I start up the game, pick Mario and do an 8-Player Smash on Temple (with something like 10-15 stocks each)

Actually I was thinking starting World of Light immediately. I can only play it first time once, might as well make it important.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
World of Light headcanon:
The spirit possessing :ultpikachu: is just Ryan Reynolds.

:ultpiranha: is Galeem.
:ultcloud: and :ultyounglink: are best buds despite the games they originate from and how their companies saw each other during each other's eras
:ultpalutena: throws a party and invites everyone to celebrate the defeat of Galeem
:ultkirby: and :ultkingdedede: and :ultyoshi: get their own table buffet tables at said party.
:ultsheik: is desperately trying to hide from and avoid :ultyounglink:, while observing :ultzelda: try to converse with :ultlink: who is simply staring at :ultganondorf: the entire time

:ultridley: and :ultkrool: and :ultbowser: are rivals constantly trying to out-scary the other
:ultpit: saves the day after being saved by :ultkirby:, who gets got, and World of Light ends up becoming a Kid Icarus Uprising sequel

Samus can join aswell, since she was apart of the Captain N comics
Plans for Ultimate:
3. Soon as I start up the game, pick Mario and do an 8-Player Smash on Temple with the starting 8 (with something like 10-15 stocks each)

Have 3 different Smash battles staring the original 8 on both Battlefields and Final Destination...then set up the music to my liking for all 103 stages...and finally start World of Light

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Imagine if after all this debate over whether the SE rep is Geno, Sora or a DQ rep, it ends up being none of them.
In fact, what if there is no new SE rep coming? Maybe Verge was just wrong.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Plans for Ultimate:

After reading that, I'm surprised you don't main Mario!

As for me, I'll probably mess with the options a bit, change my controls, test some new things out, and then jump into doing the World of Light adventure~

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Imagine if after all this debate over whether the SE rep is Geno, Sora or a DQ rep, it ends up being none of them.
Or the new SE rep is just another Cloud...only this 2nd Cloud would have no content

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Best part of Katalina being dead is that LC got BTFO'd again.
I've been on vacation all week. I need caught up.

What deconfirmed her? Aside from the sheer unlikeliness.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Plans for Ultimate:

I was going to play the World of Light first...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Question for anyone who has every pre-purchased a Nintendo game digitally.

Does the game go live at 12am in YOUR time zone or does it go live when it's 12am EVERYWHERE in your country?

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
A possibility, and a somewhat welcome one, however, it's not a safe bet. Verge seems very confident in the SE rep, and he isn't budging. It's safe to expect it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I legit thought I was the only one who wanted Captain N content
I'm predicting we'll see him as at least a spirit though. :3
I don't think we will because he's still not a video game character. But I would like to see him in some capacity.

Really hoping King Hippo and Eggplant Wizard are Spirits.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll put a little more stock in the SE rep since other reliable sources are saying similar things, but I suppose it's a possibility we shouldn't ignore.

Personally, I wouldn't be too upset with this outcome since I'm not a huge fan of third-parties. It would also mean Verge's predictions aren't guaranteed to come true, so speculation would be completely up in the air again.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Just watched Rogersbase DLC prediction video... Not bad.

If I had to pick characters in line with his general logic for DLC.... I'd probably say..

1) Pokemon (Gen8 grass starter final evo, legendary, or a lucario type)
2) Fire Emblem (3houses main character)
3) Metroid (prime 4 character)
4) Dragon Quest (create-a-hero w/ slime monster recruit mechanic)
5) Bamco ... (Goku)

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
I know this is really late, but you asked for it dude.
In Earthbound, he starts off as Ness's neighbor and friend. He and Ness learn about the world's impending doom at the hands of Giygas, and unlike Ness, Porky's cowardice gets best of him. While Ness goes off to save the world, Porky doesn't show up again for awhile. He returns later in the game, where he kidnaps Ness's companion Paula, with the intent of using her as a human sacrifice for a cult called the Happy-Happyists. When Ness defeats the cultists, Porky apologizes to Ness, but then says that he's lying and flees. He shows up later, living in luxury in Fourside with his dad, and when Ness confronts him, he flies away in a helicopter and doesn't appear until the end of the game. It's revealed that he's been inadvertently causing problems for Ness and his friends along their journey and that he's played an active part in fueling Giygas's growing power. When the heroes time travel to the Cave of the Past to fight Giygas, Porky is his right-hand subordinate. He taunts Ness and says that he serves Giygas now. He turns off the Devil's Machine, releasing Giygas's true form and then flees to another era in time (presumably where/whenever Mother 3 takes place). It's also presumed throughout the game that Porky is jealous of Ness and his friends. His parents hate him and it's implied that they're abusive, so when Porky is too cowardly to join Ness on his quest to save the world, he's left all alone. This causes him to snap, and confused, he decides to take it out on Ness in traditional bully fashion.

Anyways, he shows up again in Mother 3, as the king of the Nowhere Islands and leader of the Pigmask Army. He doesn't appear in person until the very end, but a lot of horrible stuff happens as a result of his control. Firstly, the Pigmasks are all brainwashed soldiers from different time periods that carry out his deeds (they're basically Nazis). He also kidnapped Dr. Andonuts (Jeff's dad, who was also in Earthbound) and forces him to create chimeras out of the animals in Lucas's hometown of Tazmily. One of these chimeras, the Mecha-Drago, kills Lucas's mother Hinawa, which in turn tears Lucas's family apart. His father Flint grows distant, and his brother Claus runs away. Later on, Porky has Tazmily completely modernized and issues brainwashing devices called "Happy Boxes" to be placed in everyone's household, with the intent of making the villagers love him unconditionally as their ruler. He also finds Claus's body, who, in an attempt to avenge his mother by killing the Mecha-Drago, fails miserably. The Pigmasks rebuild Claus's body and brainwash him into becoming their general (referred to as the Masked Man, but you don't find out that he's Claus til later). Porky intends to use Claus to pull the seven needles, which will bring about the end of the world (which Porky wants to rebuild in his image). Eventually, you finally encounter Porky in New Pork City, where he reveals that everything he did to Tazmily village was done out of sheer boredom. While battling Lucas and his companions, he also states that he is immortal and wanted to eradicate all life in the world just so he can be the only person left alive. When his spider mech runs out of power, he locks himself in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, which once shut, can never be reopened again. So he's left there unable to die, unable to leave, and unable to be truly defeated. And... then Lucas has to go fight to the death his brainwashed brother in the saddest moment in gaming history... all because of Porky and his horrible plans.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but I hope this was insightful. Seriously though, Porky is a really complex character, and that's what makes him such an interesting villain. The weird thing is that in both games, you feel sorry for Porky despite everything he's done. He's still just a kid after all; a lost, neglected, abused kid who wanted nothing more than to be loved. But yea, he ends up becoming a real piece of s***.
Having fulfilled my duty as a Mother nerd, off to bed I go!
Late response as well, but

Oddly enough, I still think Ridley is higher on the evilness scale.

Granted, I guess that's just because I measure how evil a villain really is not by what they've done, but what their motive or reasoning for doing the terrible things they did were.

You can at least feel pity for Porky. Less so for Ridley...

Pakky

Smash Hero

Hmm, themes matter boys

From concept art, to anime appearances, to just the cultural significance of Tiger Mask and being a Heel persona kind of wrestler.

It just made sense for Smash as it didn't have a dedicated grapple character. And of all the franchises to take one from why not Pokemon?

Alternatives just kinda amounted to things we have already in Smash. Not throwing shade or pulling guys down but what are the other Pokemon candidates to Smash?

Dusk Lycannroc- A quadropad projectile character :ultduckhunt: that amounts to a Wolf throwing stones. Oh and that has a counter which is original...:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultcorrin::ultken:(not even a poke ball by the way)

Decidueye- Basically :ultlink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: but it traps? Which... okay?

Mimikyu- Probably the only other one I can say that could bring different stuff to smash. Things such as body shape or whatever were always weird arguments to me because one of its main aspects is that it has ghostly hands in can grab items and such. It ability is a shield which my or my not be effective, it has a club it could have had a command grab, just more stuff going and I often paired it with :ultincineroar: as a likely candidate. though I'm over the moon with the winner and I'm glad my little ghost baby got to at least be a pokeball.

Also again its funny how someone tried to make the argument that Lycanroc was gen 7... despite it being the stooge in the one movie that its in while :ultincineroar: is the main rival to:4charizard: in that film.

I feel sorry for the others but I gotta say

Look at everyone else and then look at him...

D

Deleted member

Hmm, themes matter boys

From concept art, to anime appearances, to just the cultural significance of Tiger Mask and being a Heel persona kind of wrestler.

It just made sense for Smash as it didn't have a dedicated grapple character. And of all the franchises to take one from why not Pokemon?

Alternatives just kinda amounted to things we have already in Smash. Not throwing shade or pulling guys down but what are the other Pokemon candidates to Smash?

Dusk Lycannroc- A quadropad projectile character :ultduckhunt: that amounts to a Wolf throwing stones. Oh and that has a counter which is original...:ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultcorrin::ultken:(not even a poke ball by the way)

Decidueye- Basically :ultlink::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: but it traps? Which... okay?

Mimikyu- Probably the only other one I can say that could bring different stuff to smash. Things such as body shape or whatever were always weird arguments to me because one of its main aspects is that it has ghostly hands in can grab items and such. It ability is a shield which my or my not be effective, it has a club it could have had a command grab, just more stuff going and I often paired it with :ultincineroar: as a likely candidate. though I'm over the moon with the winner and I'm glad my little ghost baby got to at least be a pokeball.

Also again its funny how someone tried to make the argument that Lycanroc was gen 7... despite it being the stooge in the one movie that its in while :ultincineroar: is the main rival to:4charizard: in that film.

I feel sorry for the others but I gotta say

Look at everyone else and then look at him...
Primarina would've been an infinitely more unique fighter than Incineroar

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Alright,what would it do?

What does the concept are tell you about it?
Stay in the water.

Counterpicking it on literally anything but Great Bay, Delfino Plaza and Wii Sports Resort, you just win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom