• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh hey, by the way, speaking of Ridley from before.

This probably means something. Something something Metroid Prime 4 @ Game Awards probably confirmed by our local news guy

I don't want to get my hopes up.

If it takes a full year for a fighter pass with original characters, I could definitely see an Echoes pack being developed more quickly.

Realistically, I'd like to see Shadow, Impa (if not based on Hyrule Warriors), Dixie Kong (unless she's unique), Malos, and Octoling.

As far as the fighter pass goes, I haven't really said anything about it, but my picks would be Elma, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Phoenix Wright, and Amaterasu. Yeah, that's a lot of third parties, but they'd all fit well in Smash, in my opinion. Also give us an Edgeworth echo for Phoenix and a (only sort of kidding) Franziska von Karma echo for Simon/Richter.
I've got pretty much everything I wanted in Smash, with Isaac and Spring Man being Assists being the only mildly disappointing things. But it's hard not to be hype with Ridley, K.Rool, Simon, D. Samus and Mega Man/Ryu coming back.

If we get:
1. Mega Man X(or any of the Mega Men as a second MM character, MMX is just my personal favorite)
2. A Tekken character(my favorite fighting game series)
3. Or Ryu Hayabusa(one of the best NES era characters)

I'd be really happy with just one of these. If not, it's no skin off my back since it's not like I'm forced to buy DLC. And who knows, maybe some character I didn't think I would like could be really cool. Dixie Kong, Sylux, B.Dee or Elma would be first party choices that might interest me if their movesets are clean.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's interesting, because no one cares about Dr. Wily, Chef Kawasaki, Dr. Wright, Metroid, Moon, Sheriff, Riki, Starman, etc. not being playable. Everyone's just like "Cool, those are fun."

Perhaps Assist Trophies should only be characters like that, whose potential and popularity are limited, but would still be fun to see in the game. As opposed to characters like Isaac, Ashley, Alucard, Knuckles, Zero, etc., who are all popular and sometimes even protagonists, so obviously people would want to play as them, not see them as an item.

At least Ultimate has shown that more than just Little Mac can make the leap from Assist Trophy to character. So we'll probably get one or two more in the next Smash, even if it is a reboot.
If Knuckles gets in, we need all his meme music. "Let it get to me? I'M JUST GONNA CREEP!"

I also said R.I.P Dr.Wily and Guile when we first saw them.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

This probably means something. Something something Metroid Prime 4 @ Game Awards probably confirmed by our local news guy

Isn't this the guy that got stuff wrong right before the Direct two weeks ago? I can't remember. There were so many people shouting that week, and most of them were wrong, so it's hard to remember who was who.

I want to believe. The time would be right.

Damn it, Geoff. Looks like I'm gonna be watching your show once again.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Holy crap guys I think i got an idea of who the First Party Sword user is.
View attachment 177947
It's First Party Sword USER you ding-dong! [tosses you into a bus and sends you back to 1st-grade to learn about singular and plural nouns]

Jokes aside, they're weirdly absent this time around. I wouldn't mind another Ice-Climber-like duo in the game.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy 's regular argument against Sora. It's brought up every time we talk about him lol.

It makes sense, but I believe it plays up Corporate Disney as the big corporate fun police that everyone believes them to be, and downplays Square's involvement in negotiations. While negotiations would mainly be around Nintendo and Disney, Normura and Square Enix would still have some say in it, and that's overlooked. All I'm saying is that Disney would be more willing to work with Nintendo if Normura and Square Enix light a fire under them. Also, a deal between Nintendo and Square Enix, say for Kingdom Hearts games on the Switch, could be used as a bargaining chip with Disney.

Additionally, @A.G.L. brought up an interesting point about Nintendo working with different multimedia companies, namely Universal and Warner Brothers, for movies and other entertainment ventures, which raises the very real possibility that Nintendo and Disney struck a deal for a movie or series of some sort that we don't know about. It's a hypothetical, but still a valid point. Besides that, Nintendo and Disney already have a relatively positive reputation, and if negotiations take place with Disney Japan, the vice president has already expressed interest in Sora's inclusion. I understand that he's one person, but negotiations would be much easier if there is support/pressure from inside the company to include him.

Also, it's ****ing Smash Bros., the most prestigious crossover fighter and celebration of gaming as a whole. I understand Disney wants loads of money and Smash DLC won't make them oodles of cash, but the promotion they get by putting Sora in Smash is being severely underestimated.

What I'm saying is that, while yes, negotiations for Sora would be difficult, they likely wouldn't be as difficult as they are made out to be.
To be fair. I drop the Square Enix talk because I feel like it speaks for itself. As far as I am aware there is no new Final Fantasy Content included when going from Smash For to Ultimate which kind of proves the point of how Square has been hard to work with when licensing out its characters. I'm also FAR more familiar with the inner workings of Disney than I am with Square. By all means Square could make all the difference in the world when it comes to the negotiations between Nintendo and Disney. I'm just saying what I KNOW. I'm not making assumptions on anything I'm just going off my own experience in the industry.

I mean we'll see when this fighter pass season is over whether I'm wrong or right when it comes to Sora but as of now i dont see it happening. All things considered the only new Square content I've seen from the Ultimate gameplay is a Geno spirit which tells me Square still isn't completely on board considering itself basically equal to what they gave them last time trade the Geno Mii costume for a Spirit. And that tells me that they're not going to try and break their back to form negotiations between Disney and Nintendo. That's the only assumption I'm going to make though. The rest of my input is info that I have from interning so, y'know.

We'll see. I'd happily be wrong.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
D

Deleted member

Holy crap guys I think i got an idea of who the First Party Sword user is.
View attachment 177947
I would forgive the Ashley AT if this happened.

Y'all remembered how excited I got for Isabelle? Multiply that by like 5 and that's how I'd feel about these two.

(Inb4 someone reminds me they're still ATs in Ultimate and I just forgot...)

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It's First Party Sword USER you ding-dong! [tosses you into a bus and sends you back to 1st-grade to learn about singular and plural nouns]

Jokes aside, they're weirdly absent this time around. I wouldn't mind another Ice-Climber-like duo in the game.
Well it makes more sense that its more than one, than it being Heracles. :p

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I don't want to get my hopes up.

I've got pretty much everything I wanted in Smash, with Isaac and Spring Man being Assists being the only midly disappointing things. But it's hard not to be hype with Ridley, K.Rool, Simon, D. Samus and Mega Man/Ryu coming back.

If we get:
1. Mega Man X(or any of the Mega Men as a second MM character, MMX is just my personal favorite)
2. A Tekken character(my favorite fighting game series)
3. Or Ryu Hayabusa(one of the best NES era characters)

I'd be really happy with just one of these. If not, it's no skin off my back since it's not like I'm force to buy DLC. And who knows, maybe some character I didn't think I would like could be really cool. Dixie Kong, Sylux, B.Dee or Elma would be first party choices that might interest me if their movesets are clean.
Yeah, base game alone is more than satisfactory. Kind of a shame to lose Break the Targets and Stage Builder, but oh well. I am confident that the DLC will be worth it, because I can think of plenty of characters that would interest me. I just hope that people don't get too salty over some characters not getting in or certain ones that do. There's no one character that's going to please everyone, so it'll be interesting to see who gets picked.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Smash at the TGA's is getting less likely in my mind
The pain train has only begun

It's NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy 's regular argument against Sora. It's brought up every time we talk about him lol.

It makes sense, but I believe it plays up Corporate Disney as the big corporate fun police that everyone believes them to be, and downplays Square's involvement in negotiations. While negotiations would mainly be around Nintendo and Disney, Normura and Square Enix would still have some say in it, and that's overlooked. All I'm saying is that Disney would be more willing to work with Nintendo if Normura and Square Enix light a fire under them. Also, a deal between Nintendo and Square Enix, say for Kingdom Hearts games on the Switch, could be used as a bargaining chip with Disney.

Additionally, @A.G.L. brought up an interesting point about Nintendo working with different multimedia companies, namely Universal and Warner Brothers, for movies and other entertainment ventures, which raises the very real possibility that Nintendo and Disney struck a deal for a movie or series of some sort that we don't know about. It's a hypothetical, but still a valid point. Besides that, Nintendo and Disney already have a relatively positive reputation, and if negotiations take place with Disney Japan, the vice president has already expressed interest in Sora's inclusion. I understand that he's one person, but negotiations would be much easier if there is support/pressure from inside the company to include him.

Also, it's ****ing Smash Bros., the most prestigious crossover fighter and celebration of gaming as a whole. I understand Disney wants loads of money and Smash DLC won't make them oodles of cash, but the promotion they get by putting Sora in Smash is being severely underestimated.

What I'm saying is that, while yes, negotiations for Sora would be difficult, they likely wouldn't be as difficult as they are made out to be.
Thank you my dude. Well put.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope. They are NOT ATs in Ultimate
In that case, heck yeah I'm down with supporting Kat and Ana.

Seeing any Wario Ware or RH character get in the DLC would make the whole thing perfect for me, TBH. At that point, I could care less who the rest are.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I probably should feel sorry for Assist Trophies' fans, but considering my most wanted first party characters are Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong, it's kinda hard to do.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know the topics moved away from this but I was thinking about why the whole "lance/axe would make FE characters so much more unique" argument bugged me so much. It's because, outside of echoes, no FE characters actually play the same.

:ultmarth::ultlucina: - Marth rewards patient yet skillful play by making a sort of figuritive bubble around himself with his sword.
:ultroy::ultchrom: - Unlike other swordies, Roy lacks in defensive capabilities but has incredible speed and power for a much less careful rushdown playstyle.
:ultike: - Probably the most basic of the swordies, Ike's moveset is meant to be straightforward and simple to match his no-nonsense personality. Incredible range and power makes him more of a bruiser.
:ultrobin: - Robin uses projectile play to zone out foes and create openings for powerful Levin Sword attacks.
:ultcorrin: - Corrin's incredible range on moves like Dragon Lunge, Dragon Fang Shot, and F-Smash makes him great trapping foes. He's an all around well balanced character with a lot of tools at his disposal.

When arguing for a character's "uniqueness" when it comes to gameplay, don't just think about their weapon choice, think about their playstyle. This doesn't mean everyone has to have a gimmick, it just means they have to have some sort of different approach to combat strategy. Roy and Marth may have similar animations, but in practive, they are way different in design.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
If Knuckles gets in, we need all his meme music. "Let it get to me? I'M JUST GONNA CREEP!"

I also said R.I.P Dr.Wily and Guile when we first saw them.
Only if every time he gets hit, he says "oh no" like he does in Sonic Adventure.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, base game alone is more than satisfactory. Kind of a shame to lose Break the Targets and Stage Builder, but oh well. I am confident that the DLC will be worth it, because I can think of plenty of characters that would interest me. I just hope that people don't get too salty over some characters not getting in or certain ones that do. There's no one character that's going to please everyone, so it'll be interesting to see who gets picked.
Yeah pretty much. Everything else I actively want is the definition of "Icing on the cake" or "The cherry on top". Most people I think are pretty happy, but it's impossible for everyone to be. So sometimes we all got to hold the L.

I hope the DLC makes even more people happy. Unfortunately, none of the rumored choices have me excited, but again, we've been at "The cherry on top" since Ridley got announced honestly.

D

Deleted member

Smash at the TGA's is getting less likely in my mind
The pain train has only begun.
I dunno, if you ask me, I think Metroid being their biggest push and maaaybe leaving Smash info to the sidelines or not at all this show is the best way to go about it.

With Metroid Prime 4 becoming easily a steadily increasing hype train as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if Spawn's prediction of the Metroid Prime Trilogy comes to the Switch as well, so that people can understand MP4 better like how Bayonetta 3 got it's predecessors released and announced.

D

Deleted member

Isn't this the guy that got stuff wrong right before the Direct two weeks ago? I can't remember. There were so many people shouting that week, and most of them were wrong, so it's hard to remember who was who.

I want to believe. The time would be right.

Damn it, Geoff. Looks like I'm gonna be watching your show once again.
He didn't say there would be one earlier in November, though, as a lot of people were saying. That's what still keeps him afloat. We just don't know when this supposed "next Direct" will be.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm only tuning into the VGAs for the Nintendo announcement. I don't care for any of the awards and despite not playing it, I can say Xenoblade 2 got done dirty by not being a nominee for best RPG despite December 2017 games counting.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Watch that they not only announce Metroid Prime 4 at VGA but alongside it Sylux as the next DLC character to promote it.
Metroid bias confirmed

I wonder what people's reactions would be like. People wasn't even so keen on Sylux during ballot period and Corrin got hated even though their game was out, just not localized.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Pretty sure SpawnWave thinks it's going to be a Metroid Prime Trilogy collection. At least that's what he's said on his show. That way people can play all the games in preparation for the new one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Assist Trophies get too much hate. It's better for a character to be in the game than not at all.
Agreed. I'd take a Dixie Kong Assist over Klaptrap. If she turns out to be playable via DLC, I might chance my idea but it seems unlikely.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Okay I need to say this right now
Everyone’s predicting the Squeenix rep is gonna be either Geno or Sora or a DQ rep
You guys are SLEEPING on Agnes

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
D

Deleted member

At least most of the series' GOT Assist Trophies...

:ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultcloud:

*sigh*
I think because they'd be too powerful.

I mean, c'mon. I don't wanna be blasted by the Light Gun or Mike Tyson, and the Polar Bear from Ice Climbers is pretty scary, if you ask me.

Also, the Moon stole whatever chance Sephiroth would have as an AT. It's basically a one-to-one comparing the Moon with Supernova.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom