• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You say that like it would be a bad thing.

More :ultsamus: = more :love:
Wrong choice of words on my part. All in all I'd be down for Sylux. Another villain as well as another Metroid rep. Definitely better then another FE character (Though if they must let it be Edelgard. No more generic sword fighters).

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think because they'd be too powerful.

I mean, c'mon. I don't wanna be blasted by the Light Gun or Mike Tyson, and the Polar Bear from Ice Climbers is pretty scary, if you ask me.

Also, the Moon stole whatever chance Sephiroth would have as an AT. It's basically a one-to-one comparing the Moon with Supernova.
I understand why :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt: don't have ATs due to the limited source material. And it's dumb that :ultcloud: still has no ATs, but it can be explained by SE's stinginess...

But why :ultyoshi:?

D

Deleted member

On the topic of Metroid, I still can't believe we DOUBLED from the last two Smash games.

If you were to tell me that Samus, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus and Ridley were gonna be in Ultimate, I would'a laughed. Now, while that's three Samuses we have... Dark Samus really isn't a "Samus", more so "she" is Metroid Prime itself and Ridley, well, duh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If all said 5 DLC characters were all promotional characters.

Byleth or Edelgard
Daemona x Machina character
Gen 8 Pokemon
King Boo
Sylux

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wrong choice of words on my part. All in all I'd be down for Sylux. Another villain as well as another Metroid rep. Definitely better then another FE character (Though if they must let it be Edelgard. No more generic sword fighters).
While I don't think Robin and Corrin are generic, last thing I want to do is open that debate again. So, instead: What Sylux does and why I should be interested in him if I'm going to purchase the character?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
On the topic of Metroid, I still can't believe we DOUBLED from the last two Smash games.

If you were to tell me that Samus, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus and Ridley were gonna be in Ultimate, I would'a laughed. Now, while that's three Samuses we have... Dark Samus really isn't a "Samus", more so "she" is Metroid Prime itself and Ridley, well, duh.
Two Marios
Three Links
Three Samuses
Five Dios

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The misunderstanding of the Katalina deal is a little surprising to me.

It's a situation similar to the Shovel Knight amiibo misunderstanding deal.

I will definitely be more wary of insider information in terms of context.

D

Deleted member

I understand why :ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt: don't have ATs due to the limited source material. And it's dumb that :ultcloud: still has no ATs, but it can be explained by SE's stinginess...

If I had to guess, it's probably that Yoshi's series sharing so much with the core Mario games makes it hard. Besides maybe Poochy, Yoshi doesn't have a lot of original stuff to pull from for things like ATs.

Basically, I think Sakurai probably counts new Mario ATs and items as new Yoshi ATs and items due to how much both series share.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Hey. King Hippo would be a decent Assist Trophy. Even if I’d rather him be playable.

Professor Hector could be a Gyromite assist trophy. Don’t know what he’d do.... Honestly he should have just been an element in a Gyromite stage sense R.O.B. is the only character without one.

Yoshi should be either Poochey or Kamek (he’s enough of a constant force in Yoshi games that I think he could count)

Game & Watch should be this guy
Prism Repus. The villain exclusive to the Game & Watch version of Balloon Fight. Heck. That version of Balloon Fighter is pretty different from the one from the NES game. Maybe he could work.

Wii Fit. Balance Board? That cute little Mii Dog?

Ice Climber. Topi? Polar Bear?

Duck Hunt? I got nothing

Final Fantasy would probably be Tifa or maybe a flock of Chocobo. But Square got in the way of that.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
While I don't think Robin and Corrin are generic, last thing I want to do is open that debate again. So, instead: What Sylux does and why I should be interested in him if I'm going to purchase the character?
He has electricity and morph bombs that work differently from Samus' as far as I know. He'd probably have more abilities given to him if he really is in MP4, however.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Agreed. I'd take a Dixie Kong Assist over Klaptrap. If she turns out to be playable via DLC, I might chance my idea but it seems unlikely.
It certainly is, but for some characters, I can understand perfectly why others feel like it's so close yet so far.

Other characters being Assists are better as that than being playable characters. Like Guile. I'm really glad he was chosen over Chun-Li so that she still has a chance bros. Because Guile wouldn't be terribly interesting in Smash without giving him Charlie's extra moves. And him just crouching back and waiting for a jump in is hilarious.

Dr. Wily would also work well as either an Assist or boss, so i'm fine with that.

It's the best. We've made it guys.

Samus Thumbs up.gif

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If I had to guess, it's probably that Yoshi's series sharing so much with the core Mario games makes it hard. Besides maybe Poochy, Yoshi doesn't have a lot of original stuff to pull from for things like ATs.

Basically, I think Sakurai probably counts new Mario ATs and items as new Yoshi ATs and items due to how much both series share.
I take it you've not played a lot of Yoshi games, because I have a TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON of ideas for ATs unique to Yoshi

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It certainly is, but for some characters, I can understand perfectly why others feel like it's so close yet so far.

Other characters being Assists are better as that than being playable characters. Like Guile. I'm really glad he was chosen over Chun-Li so that she still has a chance bros. Because Guile wouldn't be terribly interesting in Smash without giving him Charlie's extra moves. And him just crouching back and waiting for a jump in is hilarious.

Dr. Wily would also work well as either an Assist or boss, so i'm fine with that.
Kinda surprising Rambi isn't an assist tbh. He definitely feels like he could be one or maybe an item called the Animal Buddy Crate that could work like poke balls and assists with said animal buddies (Rambi, Expresso, Winky, etc.) to aid players.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Even with the DLC already being prepackaged with one character, stage, and some music, I hope Nintendo decides to throw in some extra goodies like some assist trophies or character costumes. Maybe even a free mode or two similar to how Splatoon 2 did things~

D

Deleted member

I know, right?

It's beautiful.

xdwxk9jqxg3z.png

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know the topics moved away from this but I was thinking about why the whole "lance/axe would make FE characters so much more unique" argument bugged me so much. It's because, outside of echoes, no FE characters actually play the same.

:ultmarth::ultlucina: - Marth rewards patient yet skillful play by making a sort of figuritive bubble around himself with his sword.
:ultroy::ultchrom: - Unlike other swordies, Roy lacks in defensive capabilities but has incredible speed and power for a much less careful rushdown playstyle.
:ultike: - Probably the most basic of the swordies, Ike's moveset is meant to be straightforward and simple to match his no-nonsense personality. Incredible range and power makes him more of a bruiser.
:ultrobin: - Robin uses projectile play to zone out foes and create openings for powerful Levin Sword attacks.
:ultcorrin: - Corrin's incredible range on moves like Dragon Lunge, Dragon Fang Shot, and F-Smash makes him great trapping foes. He's an all around well balanced character with a lot of tools at his disposal.

When arguing for a character's "uniqueness" when it comes to gameplay, don't just think about their weapon choice, think about their playstyle. This doesn't mean everyone has to have a gimmick, it just means they have to have some sort of different approach to combat strategy. Roy and Marth may have similar animations, but in practive, they are way different in design.
It’s cause they all use swords and as we all know... every sword user plays exactly the same.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man now that I mentioned it. The Animal Buddy Crate should had been an item. Yet again another item that played out like Assist Trophies and Poke Balls.

Rambi the Rhino
Expresso the Ostrich
Winky the Frog
Ratty the Rattlesnake
Squitter the Spider

Same with the Coconut Gun which could had easily been that instead of the Banana Gun.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pretty sure SpawnWave thinks it's going to be a Metroid Prime Trilogy collection. At least that's what he's said on his show. That way people can play all the games in preparation for the new one.
That'd be cool, but I already have copies of Metroid Prime 1 and 2. So this could be another Mega Man X Legacy Collection thing for me. Where there's one game I want (Prime 3 and MMX8), but I already got most of them already. Well I don't have X7, but I'm not spending money on that.

D

Deleted member

I take it you've not played a lot of Yoshi games, because I have a TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON of ideas for ATs unique to Yoshi
If it helps, I do think there's plenty of material for bosses and stages.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We better not ever get another Yoshi rep unless it's Poochy I swear to god.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Four Marths = :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultroy:
Three Marios = :ultmario::ultluigi::ultdoc:
Three Links = :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:
Three Samuses (Samusi?) = :ultsamus::ultzss::ultdarksamus:
Three Zeldas = :ultzelda: [insert Phantom Zelda] :ultsheik:
Two Pits = :ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Two Bowsers = :ultbowser::ultbowserjr:
Two Belmonts = :ultsimon::ultrichter:

and worst of all, we got the skywalkers :ultrobin::ultshulk:

Too many repeats in Smash, I tell ya.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
We better not ever get another Yoshi rep unless it's Poochy I swear to god.
If we got a new Yoshi rep to promote Crafted World, I think Poochy would be the best choice.
Surprise!

It's Baby Mario
That would be hilarious, but I seriously doubt Nintendo would ever allow anyone to beat up an infant in one of their games.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But Sylux is cool.
I guess?

But Metroid is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in Japan. Even compared to other Nintendo characters Sylux isn't all that popular.

I'd be more peeved at his inclusion than others at Corrin's inclusion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we got a new Yoshi rep to promote Crafted World, I think Poochy would be the best choice.

That would be hilarious, but I seriously doubt Nintendo would ever allow anyone to beat up an infant in one of their games.
Isn't Kirby a baby?

Honestly, at this point, promotion is the only way Yoshi ever gets a character. Neither Sakurai or fanbase in general seems interested in particular.

I guess?

But Metroid is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in Japan. Even compared to other Nintendo characters Sylux isn't all that popular.

I'd be more peeved at his inclusion than others at Corrin's inclusion.
He doesn't use a sword so he's objectively better than Corrin. Now, don't try to have opinions again on my watch.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But Metroid is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in Japan.
But Fire Emblem is also one of Nintendo's lesser series, especially in North America.

I swear, you could make a whole civil war between Metroid and Fire Emblem if Metroid goes down the character route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom