• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
All this bickering about the Square rep. Imagine if it ends up being Noctis lol.
Man. That would be really awkward, especially with the current state of FFXV.

Not against it, but Noctis is already in Tekken 7. Let another Square rep get represented (that's just my mindset).

NineS

Smash Lord
Still think Noctis makes the most sense as a SE character if we're looking at this in terms of promotional DLC.
I'd agree with you, but admittedly, it makes even less sense than 2B or Crono in Smash now. Especially with what has happened recently to FFXV.

However, they do have a game on the Switch for what it's worth.
It is just a lesser version of the original FFXV though.

Flamingbird

Smash Cadet
Man I’m so happy that out of the few cutscenes we did get for character reveals we had one focused around the Donkey Kong universe. I love how we got to see what looks like a normal day for Diddy and Donkey (before K Rool caused commotion of course).

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Only 3 weeks and 3 days until I can get my hands on that Bloodlines remix!

I haven't even played Castlevania (Yet), and I'm already loving this song.

Double K

Smash Lord
You know what

**** it, if Katalina is in Smash that gives me an excuse to learn enough to go to tournaments

Get some friends, we alll dress up like these three

LetterO

Smash Lord
Here’s a question that’s been on my mind for a while. Why do people love the GameCube controller so much? A genuine question, as I’m considering getting one for Christmas.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Here’s a question that’s been on my mind for a while. Why do people love the GameCube controller so much? A genuine question, as I’m considering getting one for Christmas.
Perhaps nostalgia for some, but I'm sure most people just think it's comfortable. :)

Double K

Smash Lord
Ergonomic, buttons are positioned in a way that requires minimum movement to hit, but enough that it's hard to fatfinger, buttons being uniquely shaped means controls can be universal (compare Sony consoles, X means cancel in Japan)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You want a quick rundown here's the gist of why people like the controller:
  1. People are used to it
  2. It's wired
  3. Mechanical triggers
  4. Uniquely shaped face buttons and sticks
  5. Secondary stick is closer to face buttons
  6. octa-gate on the sticks
  7. Relatively ergonomic

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Nostalgia, muscle memory, and ergonomics. The octagonal gate is great for Smash's style of attacks, the button layout makes the most sense for Smash, and it plugs into 4 generations of consoles/Smash games now.

I think I'll just go with the Pro Controller though since I've heard it's great and it can be better used for other Switch games than the Gamecube controller.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Familiarity, mostly. A lot if us have been using them for the past decade and a half for every Smash since Melee, and we don't want to switch. It's also just a generally good controller, is wired, and fits well in the hands.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I honestly have no idea myself. It was a constant hindrance to me for anything outside Smash(good luck playing any other fighters with it) and was kind of awkward as a controller with a weird layout seemingly for the sake of it. It's the only controller I have seen people beg to be back several generations afterward and outside of Smash it has massively confused me why it is so beloved.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Now hold on, I thought universally Chrono Cross was treated as only just a "spiritual successor" and less of a sequel? Unless if it's a Xenoblade Chronicles X situation, people I've talked with about the game in the past always treated it like a different game.
I'd say it's more like a continuation that does its own thing then a completely separate world of events like Final Fantasy IV to VI. What happens in the story does result from what happens in Chrono Trigger, certain plot points and loose ends are addressed in Cross (ex. Schala), and the DS remake goes out of its way to tie the two together (and addresses a few questions itself). So even though Cross has its own themes and ideas that it tackles, the two are still intertwined and you couldn't completely tell its story without its predecessor being present.

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
I think its because the c stick is easier to use for smash attacks and tilts right?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That would be... super lame tbh. I understand how characters can use multiple weapons but they have a "signature" weapon that's a sword, so of course, Sakurai goes with the sword. But this is basically adding in a character just to add a character since they'll just get some standard sword Smash sword swings:ultmarth:. Seems really low effort for DLC when an example that you give like Impa can be a ninja/use a naginata instead and it'd be more unique and true to the character.

Maybe a better idea is the character using the sword as a sidearm? Someone like Anna, a merchant, being a master-at-arms and using a variety of weapons including a sword that Hitagi saw.
That’s also what I was kind to referring to but not as eloquently or composed as you did,

Going off from I said earlier, perhaps these character could potentially fit that bill:

Impa
Matthew (it would suck I know)
Medusa
Hades
Isa (sin and punishment)
Masked Man
Dark Matter
Maybe another Pokémon
Mach Rider (could maybe use a sword of some sort)
Kalas (Baiten Kailos whateveritscalled)

I haven’t looked into this matter at all but I saw that he discounted LoZ, FE, and Xenoblade, right?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Also, I’m super happy Chrono is currently being talked about. I will forever shamelessly plug in that soundtrack wherever I go.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It's a good thing here approximately zero point zero people intend to play fighting games in general with a GC controller.
Or anything outside Smash really, because let's be honest these get made for Smash releases only for a reason.
Having only a Gamecube at the time Capcom VS SNK 2 was out was pain.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Still think Noctis makes the most sense as a SE character if we're looking at this in terms of promotional DLC.
He's already in Tekken 7, so I don't see what Square Enix gains by promoting the same character/game twice.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So I never really played smash 4 so right now I'm getting my first real look of Corrin on youtube, and holy crap she (or he?) looks super awesome. Was the hate just because they're another fire emblem character?

Double K

Smash Lord
So I never really played smash 4 so right now I'm getting my first real look of Corrin on youtube, and holy crap she (or he?) looks super awesome. Was the hate just because they're another fire emblem character?
Corrin can be either gender depending on skin

Corrin was hated iirc because >FE

but mostly because their down special was busted on release

osby

Smash Obsessed
They have a cool moveset but most people just take a look at their sword and was like "nah, another plain swordfighter".

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I mentioned this earlier as a last thought but now it’s growing on me. Has anyone given Kalas serious thought? Is he even first party? He’s monolith soft before they became a part of nintendo

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
At the time of their Smash reveal, that was largley the reason. If Corrin gets hate now, it's probably because of Fire Emblem fates itself. I haven't played the games myself, but it certainy has gotten alot of flack from what I noticed, atleast on the story front.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mentioned this earlier as a last thought but now it’s growing on me. Has anyone given Kalas serious thought? Is he even first party? He’s monolith soft before they became a part of nintendo
I believe Baten Kaitos is a shared IP between Bandai Namco and Nintendo

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
At the time of their Smash reveal, that was largley the reason. If Corrin gets hate now, it's probably because of Fire Emblem fates itself. I haven't played the games myself, but it certainy has gotten alot of flack from what I noticed, atleast on the story front.
Corrin is pretty much a mary sue/gary stu in the story that people follow their insane thoughts on how a war should be fought for no logical reason and everyone ingame seems to praise to high heaven. Story wise they are pretty awful

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pretty much, yeah...but more hate started going towards Male Corrin specifically as time went by

D

Deleted member

Does being a spirit deconfirm the possibility of being a character because male wii fit trainer is a spirit but it could be one of his or her poses that are trophies in smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom