• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So I never really played smash 4 so right now I'm getting my first real look of Corrin on youtube, and holy crap she (or he?) looks super awesome. Was the hate just because they're another fire emblem character?
  • Any combination of
  • Anime Aesthetic
  • Sword-wielder
  • Blatantly overpowered
  • Advertisement character
  • Fire Emblem oversaturation
I myself, dislike him for the last 3.

After Fates released, he then also became hated because Fire Emblem Fates reads like a badly written fanfic and at the heart of that lies Corrin in all of his special snowflake glory.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Does being a spirit deconfirm the possibility of being a character because male wii fit trainer is a spirit but it could be one of his or her poses that are trophies in smash 4
We don't really have anything concrete on how or if spirits mean anything in regards to playables tmk

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Does being a spirit deconfirm the possibility of being a character because male wii fit trainer is a spirit but it could be one of his or her poses that are trophies in smash 4
People keep forgetting that Lucas and Mewtwo were trophies in Smash 4 before they became playable. I don't think Spirits deconfirm a character any more than that.

However, because the DLC characters have been decided already, it's possible that the characters chosen are ones that aren't already Spirits. We'll have to see.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aren't they B tier?
Depends on who you ask, with Nairo putting Corrin at A tier while ZeRo put him at <50% of the cast (below Robin)

Though I guess "blatantly overpowered" more refers to insta-pin shenanigans and counter kills than anything else.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Blatantly overpowered
Alright. I'll try to offer some input on this since Corrin is one of my mains.

Corrin, overall, is not overpowered, especially in comparison to other DLC characters. However, Corrin is still good.

If you're referencing the pin move specifically, I do agree that it's a very powerful move, when done correctly. You do have to space yourself so that the pin will hit at the tip, at a specific downward right angle. It's a fantastic move, when sweetspotted. Otherwise, it's nothing special.

If you're referencing the counter specifically, yes.. it is powerful. However, I don't think that makes her overpowered.

Considering that 12 other characters have counters: :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultlucina::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultshulk: and now:ultchrom::ultkrool:, I don't think having a good counter will make you overpowered.

Overall, Corrin is a good character. I'd put her in either lower A tier or upper B tier.

But calling her overpowered when we got :ultbayonetta::ultsheik::ultdiddy::ultrosalina::ultzss::ultcloud:, is not a fair comparison.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since this thread is kinda slow right now, I'll bring up something I mentioned earlier...

Here's a Yoshi character I can see becoming a Primary Spirit:

Not familiar with them, sorry. Cool design, though.

Care to inform us?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Imma wake up in the morning and this place will likely still be too slow :ultsonic:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Not familiar with them, sorry. Cool design, though.

Care to inform us?
Are you even marginally familiar with Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (or Yoshi: Universal Gravitation where you're at probably)?

You know how the main mechanic is to rotate the Game Boy to control the world?

This character gives Yoshi that ability. It's the Spirit Who Loves Surprises...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Are you even marginally familiar with Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (or Yoshi: Universal Gravitation where you're at probably)?

You know how the main mechanic is to rotate the Game Boy to control the world?

This character gives Yoshi that ability. It's the Spirit Who Loves Surprises...
I believe he was also designed by Naoto Oshima, who created Sonic

unless it was another character designer at artoon

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Corrin is obviously not bad in Smash 4 given that Corrin won a major, a late meta major at that. Bad characters never win majors. In principle Corrin has a pretty sound toolset. Corrin has close to the highest overall range of any character (maybe less than like Shulk but that would be about it; it's definitely more than Marth and thus more than every other meta relevant character), Corrin has a pretty diverse array of tools (stun, pins, excellent counter, all around large number of good normals), and Corrin never has to pay for it massively in other areas really since Corrin is neither particularly slow nor particular immobile with average weight and average recovery. That makes Corrin a pretty safe bet to be at least decent in Smash Ultimate; a design with a clear strength and no large weaknesses is a great starting point for a character (this is the sort of reason that Diddy is always good though with obviously different strengths), and indeed early footage of Corrin mostly suggests a character who has absorbed a few little nerfs, gotten a few little nice things, and is probably mostly about the same.

The internet hate squad thing for Corrin came from people who don't care about how Smash plays as a video game and instead view being a Smash character as winning some silly popularity contest and thus thought they were being cheated with a character from a game that isn't out yet. From the perspective that cares about Smash for Smash's sake and not any of that noise, Corrin was a fantastic addition.

Palarm

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if :ultgreninja:has been buffed/nerfed? I haven't seen any gameplay

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone know if :ultgreninja:has been buffed/nerfed? I haven't seen any gameplay
His back throw has been nerfed slightly but his jab, dash attack, down tilt, forward aerial, forward throw, and Substitute have been buffed. Shadow Sneak is easier to notice but generally, he's been buffed.

EDIT: Also, just noticed, since Ash-Greninja is a male, this confirms his sex in Ultimate. Just noting.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I've been watching some gameplay and I gotta say Pichu looks amazing

And his victory screen is so adorable. I must protect him

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, my favorite part about Smash is that how retro characters possesses weird abilities. Like Duck Hunt can summon a posse of Zapper characters. PAC-MAN can use stuff from arcade games by whim. Mr. Game & Watch. It's cool.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Anyway, my favorite part about Smash is that how retro characters possesses weird abilities. Like Duck Hunt can summon a posse of Zapper characters. PAC-MAN can use stuff from arcade games by whim. Mr. Game & Watch. It's cool.
I'm really glad we still got a out-there character with :ultpiranha:. It's cool seeing his moves references everything from New Super Mario Bros to Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Also, I like that the Duck Hunt dog makes dog sounds now. It's a nice touch

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ooo, you know what my favorite part of Smash is, hehehe...

The fact that an innocuous character like Isabelle can take on the King of Evil...

..................what? Were you expecting a different answer? :yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm really glad we still got a out-there character with :ultpiranha:. It's cool seeing his moves references everything from New Super Mario Bros to Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Also, I like that the Duck Hunt dog makes dog sounds now. It's a nice touch
Yeah, Piranha Plant gave the newcomers much needed weirdness. I'm not familiar with most of his references, but it's still looks very fun either way.

Actually, Duck and Dog both have voice clips now, I liked it too. now we just need voice clips for the shooter

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching some gameplay and I gotta say Pichu looks amazing

And his victory screen is so adorable. I must protect him
I can’t find Pichu’s victory animations anywhere. Can someone please help me with finding some?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ooo, you know what my favorite part of Smash is, hehehe...

The fact that an innocuous character like Isabelle can take on the King of Evil...

..................what? Were you expecting a different answer? :yoshi:
To be honest, yes. But I agree, playing with power levels is super fun and I can't wait to use Ridley and K.Rool as punching bags

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I would say moreso Super Mario Land 2 tbh. The series itself is doing okay-ish, albeit not a lot of representation. Daisy & the Underground theme from the first game are nice.
Well, too be fair, Nintendo brought back Wario from Super Mario Land 2 to give him two of his own series and nearly mandatory appearances in any Mario series crossover titles.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Yeah, Piranha Plant gave the newcomers much needed weirdness. I'm not familiar with most of his references, but it's still looks very fun either way.

Actually, Duck and Dog both have voice clips now, I liked it too. now we just need voice clips for the shooter
Oh, I didn't know the duck made duck noises too (I mean it should've been obvious but it never crossed my mind lol). Even better.

I can’t find Pichu’s victory animations anywhere. Can someone please help me with finding some?
https://youtu.be/XTbcGukOdbE?t=177

Low quality, but best I got

Edit: Also if you just want to see the final pose (also good gameplay of him)

https://youtu.be/S8qU3eBCAy8

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
As a form of priority, Black Yoshi, as the Yoshi colors themselves are one of the most established aspects of Yoshi...
Yeah, I would've preferred they got rid of one of the blues. I always liked black Yoshi the best (maybe for the Yoshi's Story memories).

Or, ya know, have more the 8 alts

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I would've preferred they got rid of one of the blues. I always liked black Yoshi the best (maybe for the Yoshi's Story memories).

Or, ya know, have more the 8 alts
In an ideal world, each character would have 16 alts but
  1. It might be hard for some characters like PAC-MAN, Greninja or Dark Pit to have so many
  2. I don't hate development team

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
There's this ridiculously detailed document about Greninja changes I found on reddit:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SmNm35aPP_oJj3NUqnM4Etu8spZMWlo9VElb42k3qeA/edit

The most notable thing is that his standing grab now hits on frame 8 which is on the slow end of normal instead of on f11 like in smash 4 which qualified as "awful" and has my vote for the single biggest reason Greninja was ultimately a mediocre character despite having many positive attributes. 3 frames faster standing grab start-up is insanely large as a buff; honestly every other little improvement is just gravy next to that whopper of a change.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
In an ideal world, each character would have 16 alts but
  1. It might be hard for some characters like PAC-MAN, Greninja or Dark Pit to have so many
  2. I don't hate development team
It's just odd that they made some alts (Black Yoshi, other Ridleys, etc.) only to get rid of them. I don't think all characters need more than 8, but if they're already made why not keep them?

That's what I was hoping. Have an extra set of 8 Crafted alts, one for each color...
Poor white Yoshi always gets left out though :(

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's just odd that they made some alts (Black Yoshi, other Ridleys, etc.) only to get rid of them. I don't think all characters need more than 8, but if they're already made why not keep them?

Poor white Yoshi always gets left out though :(
In Ultimate, all alt color icons are visible when you are selecting your character. I think it's really useful and welcome but it required the number of altsper character to be standardized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom