• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So who do you guys think are sure will be DLC?

For me Bandana Dee and Lloyd Irving I'm very certain on.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Clearly we're missing the greatest Sword user the world has ever known.

dawsonrun.gif

This is a joke for five people.

Roberk

Smash Champion
But that would mean Sakurai would never take his long deserved rest.
  1. He'd probably still enjoy it, especially since he wouldn't be restricted by a big game release deadline.
  2. Smash would be made with or without Sakurai and he knows it, he wants to be the head behind one of the most prestigious crossovers/games of all time and he thinks that no one else can do it better.
I'm against that idea as that means characters will never get revamped movesets (echoes in particular) and deconfirmed characters will remain that way for the rest of Smash's lifetime, which would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Assist Trophy and Echo promotions should be the flip of a switch if the demand is large enough to justify the work to make them unique characters. They shouldn't have a problem taking out a few Assist Trophy out of many to make popular characters that people would pay for. Idk how it'd work for Echoes, maybe a free "moveset/character revamp" like League gets to update its older Champions.

The thing with continuous updates is that they just make whatever they want to sell anyway, so potential newcomers already in the game would actually have an edge since at least some work was already put into them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Only thing about Bandana Dee is they may pass him over to push for FE Three Houses rep.
Most big Youtube insiders all think, FE Three Houses will get a rep.
If they must at least make it Edelgard. Last thing we need is another generic swordfighter (Byleth). At least with Lloyd he's unique since he uses dual swords, so that's different.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I would love Lloyd Irving but I have this feeling if Namco gets a rep AND if Nintendo goes with the "Promotional" route, I could see Yuri Lowelll from Tales of Vesperia being in instead of Lloyd.

With the Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition coming next year, it could happen....Then again, this would have to be the first DLC character to be announced since the game is coming out in January. That way it would give them time to promote the game.

Of course now this seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
I don’t take leaks too seriously regardless if they are true or not. Leak discussion does nothing for me personally.

That being said, with this Nintendo sword user character....

What if...

What if it’s a character who normally doesn’t use a sword BUT uses a sword for Smash?? Like...Greninja kind of uses swords in some moves. It’s bit of a stretch but perhaps this is something to go from. Like this. Impa doesn’t normally use a sword in the canon games but perhaps she can someone use a sword in Smash?
That would be... super lame tbh. I understand how characters can use multiple weapons but they have a "signature" weapon that's a sword, so of course, Sakurai goes with the sword. But this is basically adding in a character just to add a character since they'll just get some standard sword Smash sword swings:ultmarth:. Seems really low effort for DLC when an example that you give like Impa can be a ninja/use a naginata instead and it'd be more unique and true to the character.

Maybe a better idea is the character using the sword as a sidearm? Someone like Anna, a merchant, being a master-at-arms and using a variety of weapons including a sword that Hitagi saw.

D

Deleted member

The thing that really hurts Geno's chances are Square and Nintendo. Square has not cared about the character in years and the biggest reason Geno might have gotten in was because Sakurai was the only one choosing before. I don't see Square pushing for Geno as he would not represent them as a company instead he would be another Mario character. Also he is not very relative anymore, and Square can't use him to cross promote which they love doing.

Its hard to say which way this will go, but the fact Yoko Shimomura is involved makes it interesting. Especially because the Dragon Quest composer might not want to cooperate.
The problem really lies with every Square rep that we can think of ends up always having a huge problem.

Sora? Kingdom Hearts 3 and other legality issues NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy brought up.
2B? Not on a Nintendo console.
Crono? "Square: What's Chrono?"
Dragon Quest rep? Literally Sugiyama.
Agnes/Bravely rep? Current status and priority within Square's eyes.
Octopath rep? Too new.
Neku? Poor reception of the franchise in Japan and not much of a priority to even Square.

Geno has the upper hand with all of these and is the only one with really any "Smash history". It'd be the most "feasible and realistic" to negotiate with, especially with, again, the whole Mario thing. We could use the whole "relevancy" argument, but when we have :ultridley::ultkrool::ultrichter: in the mix, I don't think that'd be the case either.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would love Lloyd Irving but I have this feeling if Namco gets a rep AND if Nintendo goes with the "Promotional" route, I could see Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia being in instead of Lloyd.

With the Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition coming next year, it could happen....Then again, this would have to be the first DLC character to be announced since the game is coming out in January. That way it would give them time to promote the game.

Of course now this seems unlikely.
*Looks up Yuri Lowell*

Well...At least she's a female character. That's something I guess.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Im honestly kind of confused with the break comments for Sakurai sometimes. Like are people talking about a paid vacation or something? Otherwise he can't really just stop working as this is his job and if he isn't working on Smash then he will likely be working on a different project.

Roberk

Smash Champion
*Looks up Yuri Lowell*

Well...At least she's a female character. That's something I guess.
Boy do I have news for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Lowell

"Yuri Lowell (ユーリ・ローウェル Yuuri Rouweru) is a fictional character introduced in the 2008 role-playing game Tales of Vesperia by Namco Tales Studio. The protagonist of the story, Yuri is a young adult from the Lower Quarter of the Imperial Capital, Zaphias. He leaves the town with a noble named Estellise in order to find a thief who stole an important instrument to his people. Across the story, he is willing to help those in need, even if he has to take extreme measures to do so, adopting a vigilante-like attitude in many situations. He also forms a guild known as Brave Vesperia when aiding Estellise. Yuri and his childhood friend Flynn are also the protagonists of the anime film Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike which details their backstories as an imperial knight protecting a town alongside his comrades. "

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only thing about Bandana Dee is they may pass him over to push for FE Three Houses rep.
Most big Youtube insiders all think, FE Three Houses will get a rep.
Doubt it. The main character is Byleth, not Edelgard. And only reason Sakurai even accepted to put Corrin in was because they were selected by the development team and can do unique stuff.

People need to stop with "new FE game will get a rep, it's a rule!" There is no guarantee and it doesn't really make sense for this time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doubt it. The main character is Byleth, not Edelgard. And only reason Sakurai even accepted to put Corrin in was because they were selected by the development team and can do unique stuff.

People need to stop with "new FE game will get a rep, it's a rule!" There is no guarantee and it doesn't really make sense for this time.
Well if we do get yet another FE character I'd rather it be Edelgard because she's an axe user.

D

Deleted member

Boy, this is some STRONG doublespeak.
Super Mario RPG had a Wii and Wii U virtual console release and was featured on the SNES Mini and before that the Geno Mii Costume.
Chrono Trigger had a Wii VC release and a butchered PC port.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

This ^^^

Our fan rules need to be destroyed, because man speculation is dragging with the "Well durr there will be a FE Rep for DLC!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom