• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
What I'm expecting at this current stage: The Luminary, Heihachi, Steve, Katalina, Captain Toad

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Maybe they held off shadow for Eggman;)
Honestly I'd be down, something about Castlevania having more characters than Sonic feels wrong to me (but not to many others probably). I still believe Shadow should have gotten in to round out the Echo Fighter count and because the Ken logic applies to him as well, but no use kicking a dead horse.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Can someone be the MVP of this thread and compile all of Hitagi's information into a single document from the AMA so we can keep track of it?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Saki uses a sword....

Edit: uffffff...he’s a Mii costume.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh. To be honest i’m a tad soured going into DLC. Like the more I think about it, there are only a few picks that would make me crap my pants, and one of them (Rex with/without Pyra) is pretty much not happening.

It just seems weird to me. Like not a, “GUYZ IT MEANS SOMETHING!11!” weird but just...weird. Spring Man and Rex were two headlining Switch protagonists (SM more of a cover man), and now their chances at Smash are pretty much done. That’s just odd to me. Add in the fact that none of the best songs from XC2 got in (Monster Surprised You, Incoming!, etc...), and it’s even weirder.

My guess, and I guess you could say it’s pessimistic at this point, is that the 3rd Party DLC has been decided for months. Sure, Sakurai said they made the picks, but i’m feeling quite certain that the SE pick, Steve, and whoever else have been determined awhile back now.

To be honest it makes sense. Companies would get more of their profit from a Direct DLC sale as opposed to their property in a game. Going into the launch of the game, i’m really hyped. Like, sometimes while i’m working I just get bursts of excitement because, “Oh ****! This game is out in like less than 4 weeks!” But, I don’t know. Like I almost never get bummed when it comes to Smash, and I really have no reason to.

It’s entirely my own fault for convincing myself Rex was a lock for DLC, because he seems like a no brainer. He expands upon a series that is becoming steadily more successful, provides unique gameplay, and is an extremely popular pick in Japan especially (frankly I think he’s popular in other areas too). However, he’s picked for a Mii Fighter costume.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate that costume. It definitely feels like a consolation prize, and I appreciate it...to an extent. However, it’s not actually Rex. The victory theme is still a generic Smash theme. His moveset is similar to any other sword fighter. He won’t say anything Rex says, or embody who the character is.

Now that we know (probably) who is going to be picked for DLC, i’m just going to legitimately have to question some of the picks. Not really entirely because i’m salty, but because there are picks that people truly wanted that haven’t made it. That isn’t to say the base roster isn’t satisfactory, it 120% is. Mii Fighter costumes are a great way to help fans feel like they’re playing certain picks, but it will never replace or sub for that character, truly.

I know, I shouldn’t complain. I got a lot of what I wanted, and some people didn’t get anything that wanted. You can’t win them all, but I just really, really enjoyed Rex and his game. Smash is like the “Mega game” in which I envision any new favorite character in because that’s, like, my jam, you know? Just a bit disappointed that he’ll probably never make it now, considering a new Xenoblade will likely be out by the time any sort of Smash reboot shows up.

I’ll always hold out hope, and if we get Lloyd Irving, that’s probably my last pick for DLC. But aside from that...well, I guess i’m hoping for the best.

Sorry if this rant is found to be annoying. I just am finding myself to be disappointed, because in terms of “new” characters, it seems as if my only/most wanted got the shaft.
I can sympathize. A lot of my initial salt at the last Direct was caused by seeing Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Shadow get deconfirmed. I mean, I got over it after a day and admit I overreacted, but I'm still a little bummed about it.

TBH I'm only watching DLC right now because of the rumors going around about Sora and Steve. Either one would make me extremely happy, but I'm gonna wait and see. Assuming characters are locks is a mistake I won't make again.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh. To be honest i’m a tad soured going into DLC. Like the more I think about it, there are only a few picks that would make me crap my pants, and one of them (Rex with/without Pyra) is pretty much not happening.

It just seems weird to me. Like not a, “GUYZ IT MEANS SOMETHING!11!” weird but just...weird. Spring Man and Rex were two headlining Switch protagonists (SM more of a cover man), and now their chances at Smash are pretty much done. That’s just odd to me. Add in the fact that none of the best songs from XC2 got in (Monster Surprised You, Incoming!, etc...), and it’s even weirder.

My guess, and I guess you could say it’s pessimistic at this point, is that the 3rd Party DLC has been decided for months. Sure, Sakurai said they made the picks, but i’m feeling quite certain that the SE pick, Steve, and whoever else have been determined awhile back now.

To be honest it makes sense. Companies would get more of their profit from a Direct DLC sale as opposed to their property in a game. Going into the launch of the game, i’m really hyped. Like, sometimes while i’m working I just get bursts of excitement because, “Oh ****! This game is out in like less than 4 weeks!” But, I don’t know. Like I almost never get bummed when it comes to Smash, and I really have no reason to.

It’s entirely my own fault for convincing myself Rex was a lock for DLC, because he seems like a no brainer. He expands upon a series that is becoming steadily more successful, provides unique gameplay, and is an extremely popular pick in Japan especially (frankly I think he’s popular in other areas too). However, he’s picked for a Mii Fighter costume.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate that costume. It definitely feels like a consolation prize, and I appreciate it...to an extent. However, it’s not actually Rex. The victory theme is still a generic Smash theme. His moveset is similar to any other sword fighter. He won’t say anything Rex says, or embody who the character is.

Now that we know (probably) who is going to be picked for DLC, i’m just going to legitimately have to question some of the picks. Not really entirely because i’m salty, but because there are picks that people truly wanted that haven’t made it. That isn’t to say the base roster isn’t satisfactory, it 120% is. Mii Fighter costumes are a great way to help fans feel like they’re playing certain picks, but it will never replace or sub for that character, truly.

I know, I shouldn’t complain. I got a lot of what I wanted, and some people didn’t get anything that wanted. You can’t win them all, but I just really, really enjoyed Rex and his game. Smash is like the “Mega game” in which I envision any new favorite character in because that’s, like, my jam, you know? Just a bit disappointed that he’ll probably never make it now, considering a new Xenoblade will likely be out by the time any sort of Smash reboot shows up.

I’ll always hold out hope, and if we get Lloyd Irving, that’s probably my last pick for DLC. But aside from that...well, I guess i’m hoping for the best.

Sorry if this rant is found to be annoying. I just am finding myself to be disappointed, because in terms of “new” characters, it seems as if my only/most wanted got the shaft.
That's my secret.
I'm always sour.

D

Deleted member

Agree also heres something we are forgetting that could potentially lean in either Sora or Geno's favor. Yoko Simomura the composer of Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG is already working on Smash Ultimate. She re-composed Vega's theme from Street Fighter that was released for Smash Ultimate. With the composer already on board, it may increase the chances of these characters. We will have to wait and see, if it is a Dragon Quest character it will be interesting to see how they handle the composer situation.
If I'm gonna be real on this one, I can't see this being anyone else other than Geno. They have Yoko on the music dev team and she was the sole composer for Super Mario RPG. Also, see those first two words? Of course they'd include one more Mario character to round out the series to 10 fighters, to at least match the current amount of Pokemon reps, which are at 10 right now (counting all the Pokemon).

As much as I want to see any semblance of Mickey Mouse throwin' hands against Top Tier-Roy, the timing would be really bad just in general. If we wanna talk about Xenoblade having the worst situation when it comes to timing and Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts takes the piss out of it. Kingdom Hearts 3 is almost two months away and primarily people see that as a PlayStation 4 game and one that has some serious 13-year long hype to back it up. It would practically be advertising a direct competitor and something the Switch doesn't have (at the moment), and not even one KH game is on the system.

Now, before anyone says "well, Cloud's situation is pretty much the same" - c'mon. We all knew that Final Fantasy VII Remake would never come out during 2015, nor anytime soon, with how bad Nomura's habits are, and the reasons backing Cloud were good enough. Also, that was the first time we ever got to see "gameplay" before CyberConnect's work got scrapped by Square. Kingdom Hearts 3, however, is releasing severely soon.

So unless if it's someone from Final Fantasy VII, Octopath Traveler or someone from the Bravely series, I can't see the Square rep not being Geno, to be frankly honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I can sympathize. A lot of my initial salt at the last Direct was caused by seeing Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Shadow get deconfirmed. I mean, I got over it after a day and admit I overreacted, but I'm still a little bummed about it.

TBH I'm only watching DLC right now because of the rumors going around about Sora and Steve. Either one would make me extremely happy, but I'm gonna wait and see. Assuming characters are locks is a mistake I won't make again.
I'm still shocked that ARMS was sent so deep down into the shadow realm this time. It feels like they didn't even consider the possibility of including a rep as DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
DQ9 guy got wings and a flying train so he's cool.

Also, he can summon QUADRASWORD.

Unfortunately he came after Eight so he gets a bad rap.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
But he's also not an assist trophy anymore, so maybe he's still on the table.
We’ve never had a Mii Costume promoted to a (DLC) playable character within the same game. So I consider that a deconfirmation unless proven likewise in a later reveal. Spirits on the other hand is different as they are basically like trophies and we have the Mewtwo/Lucas precedent to look to.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But he's also not an assist trophy anymore, so maybe he's still on the table.
At the same time though...

You really think Sakurai's the type to plan a character for DLC and at the same time have a mii costume made for him?
Or that Nintendo would put Saki on their selection of characters for Sakurai to go over?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Honestly, they should turn Smash into a "service" game like League of Legends and Overwatch, where they consistently come out with free updates (Miscellaneous stages, spirits, music, Echoes who would make sense as Echoes, etc.) along with premium content (Unique characters + related stage, certain intensive cosmetics like alternate costume models). Then just use Ultimate as a base to port to other systems as necessary. Nothing's going to top Ultimate, if there's a direct sequel then there will be significant content cuts and possibly not enough new content to compensate.

I know I wouldn't mind shelling out a couple of bucks every few months for a new character + stage, I might even pay for neat/creative alternate costumes. To keep up with the rate of new games and to include things left out of Ultimate at base launch, I think that a continuous Ultimate service game for as long as possible is the best compromise.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, they should turn Smash into a "service" game like League of Legends and Overwatch, where they consistently come out with free updates (Miscellaneous stages, spirits, music, Echoes who would make sense as Echoes, etc.) along with premium content (Unique characters + related stage, certain intensive cosmetics like alternate costume models). Then just use Ultimate as a base to port to other systems as necessary. Nothing's going to top Ultimate, if there's a direct sequel then there will be significant content cuts and possibly not enough new content to compensate.

I know I wouldn't mind shelling out a couple of bucks every few months for a new character + stage, I might even pay for neat/creative alternate costumes. To keep up with the rate of new games and to include things left out of Ultimate at base launch, I think that a continuous Ultimate service game for as long as possible is the best compromise.
But that would mean Sakurai would never take his long deserved rest.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm against that idea as that means characters will never get revamped movesets (echoes in particular) and deconfirmed characters will remain that way for the rest of Smash's lifetime, which would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don’t take leaks too seriously regardless if they are true or not. Leak discussion does nothing for me personally.

That being said, with this Nintendo sword user character....

What if...

What if it’s a character who normally doesn’t use a sword BUT uses a sword for Smash?? Like...Greninja kind of uses swords in some moves. It’s bit of a stretch but perhaps this is something to go from. Like this. Impa doesn’t normally use a sword in the canon games but perhaps she can someone use a sword in Smash?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don’t take leaks too seriously regardless if they are true or not. Leak discussion does nothing for me personally.

What if...

What if it’s a character who normally doesn’t use a sword BUT uses a sword for Smash?? Like...Greninja kind of uses swords in some moves. It’s bit of a stretch but perhaps this is something to go from.
Way ahead of ya...

D

Deleted member

Why did Saki AND Ray get reduced to Mii costumes when they were already ATs!

UGH.
I think it's more the problem that Sin & Punishment and Custom Robo (literally) are quite frankly dead franchises. It's the least he could do, I suppose.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It would be good to give the man some rest by cutting back the workload to a season pass or two. Also if he was to train a potential successor for smash it would be a good way to do that. Otherwise it also allows him to work on other projects, like a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising.
just imagine if the guy actually picked and developed a new Castlevania....so much possibilities!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

Now you know how K. Rool and Inkling fans felt during Smash 4 when their Mii costumes were revealed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

What if...

What if it’s a character who normally doesn’t use a sword BUT uses a sword for Smash?? Like...Greninja kind of uses swords in some moves. It’s bit of a stretch but perhaps this is something to go from.
Interesting idea, but the only characters I can think this applies to aren't Nintendo-related.
You have any ideas?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
If I'm gonna be real on this one, I can't see this being anyone else other than Geno. They have Yoko on the music dev team and she was the sole composer for Super Mario RPG. Also, see those first two words? Of course they'd include one more Mario character to round out the series to 10 fighters, to at least match the current amount of Pokemon reps, which are at 10 right now (counting all the Pokemon).

As much as I want to see any semblance of Mickey Mouse throwin' hands against Top Tier-Roy, the timing would be really bad just in general. If we wanna talk about Xenoblade having the worst situation when it comes to timing and Smash Bros, Kingdom Hearts takes the piss out of it. Kingdom Hearts 3 is almost two months away and primarily people see that as a PlayStation 4 game and one that has some serious 13-year long hype to back it up. It would practically be advertising a direct competitor and something the Switch doesn't have (at the moment), and not even one KH game is on the system.

Now, before anyone says "well, Cloud's situation is pretty much the same" - c'mon. We all knew that Final Fantasy VII Remake would never come out during 2015, nor anytime soon, with how bad Nomura's habits are, and the reasons backing Cloud were good enough. Also, that was the first time we ever got to see "gameplay" before CyberConnect's work got scrapped by Square. Kingdom Hearts 3, however, is releasing severely soon.

So unless if it's someone from Final Fantasy VII, Octopath Traveler or someone from the Bravely series, I can't see the Square rep not being Geno, to be frankly honest.
The thing that really hurts Geno's chances are Square and Nintendo. Square has not cared about the character in years and the biggest reason Geno might have gotten in was because Sakurai was the only one choosing before. I don't see Square pushing for Geno as he would not represent them as a company instead he would be another Mario character. Also he is not very relative anymore, and Square can't use him to cross promote which they love doing.

Its hard to say which way this will go, but the fact Yoko Shimomura is involved makes it interesting. Especially because the Dragon Quest composer might not want to cooperate.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
We’ve never had a Mii Costume promoted to a (DLC) playable character within the same game. So I consider that a deconfirmation unless proven likewise in a later reveal. Spirits on the other hand is different as they are basically like trophies and we have the Mewtwo/Lucas precedent to look to.
That's a fair point. I also had no idea he was even a Mii costume until now.

At the same time though...

You really think Sakurai's the type to plan a character for DLC and at the same time have a mii costume made for him?
Or that Nintendo would put Saki on their selection of characters for Sakurai to go over?
Honestly, no to both those statements. I'm still just trying to figure out who this elusive mystery swordsman could be.

Edit: Well, they also did decide to make more Splatoon Mii costumes even though they're already playable, which to me seems like a wasted effort.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Interesting idea, but the only characters I can think this applies to aren't Nintendo-related.
You have any ideas?
I have to go teach a class but I’ll think about it while they do a boring busywork worksheet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom