• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Masked Man would be amazing tied in with a Mother 3 port FINALLY, but let's be honest here.

It won't be that.
Okay, this is tinfoil hat time.
Probably a month, month and a half ago I found a 4chan leak that talked about how MOTHER 3 was going to finally get fully translated probably as part of the Masterpieces section in Ultimate. (I'm still trying to dig through my posts and find the link, it may not even be active anymore.)

Not to interrupt a good conversation, but I saw this on 4chan.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/435778826
It's about Mother 3 and Smash Ultimate.
Yeah, so it's not active. Billybo10K did do a video on it a few days later, but he never went over the comments. (imo the comments and the technical details he gave were the most convincing part). Iirc you can find the video and it'll have a screenshot of the main post in the second half of the video, I think he went over something else first.

What if this guy was telling the truth.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Eh. To be honest i’m a tad soured going into DLC. Like the more I think about it, there are only a few picks that would make me crap my pants, and one of them (Rex with/without Pyra) is pretty much not happening.

It just seems weird to me. Like not a, “GUYZ IT MEANS SOMETHING!11!” weird but just...weird. Spring Man and Rex were two headlining Switch protagonists (SM more of a cover man), and now their chances at Smash are pretty much done. That’s just odd to me. Add in the fact that none of the best songs from XC2 got in (Monster Surprised You, Incoming!, etc...), and it’s even weirder.

My guess, and I guess you could say it’s pessimistic at this point, is that the 3rd Party DLC has been decided for months. Sure, Sakurai said they made the picks, but i’m feeling quite certain that the SE pick, Steve, and whoever else have been determined awhile back now.

To be honest it makes sense. Companies would get more of their profit from a Direct DLC sale as opposed to their property in a game. Going into the launch of the game, i’m really hyped. Like, sometimes while i’m working I just get bursts of excitement because, “Oh ****! This game is out in like less than 4 weeks!” But, I don’t know. Like I almost never get bummed when it comes to Smash, and I really have no reason to.

It’s entirely my own fault for convincing myself Rex was a lock for DLC, because he seems like a no brainer. He expands upon a series that is becoming steadily more successful, provides unique gameplay, and is an extremely popular pick in Japan especially (frankly I think he’s popular in other areas too). However, he’s picked for a Mii Fighter costume.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate that costume. It definitely feels like a consolation prize, and I appreciate it...to an extent. However, it’s not actually Rex. The victory theme is still a generic Smash theme. His moveset is similar to any other sword fighter. He won’t say anything Rex says, or embody who the character is.

Now that we know (probably) who is going to be picked for DLC, i’m just going to legitimately have to question some of the picks. Not really entirely because i’m salty, but because there are picks that people truly wanted that haven’t made it. That isn’t to say the base roster isn’t satisfactory, it 120% is. Mii Fighter costumes are a great way to help fans feel like they’re playing certain picks, but it will never replace or sub for that character, truly.

I know, I shouldn’t complain. I got a lot of what I wanted, and some people didn’t get anything that wanted. You can’t win them all, but I just really, really enjoyed Rex and his game. Smash is like the “Mega game” in which I envision any new favorite character in because that’s, like, my jam, you know? Just a bit disappointed that he’ll probably never make it now, considering a new Xenoblade will likely be out by the time any sort of Smash reboot shows up.

I’ll always hold out hope, and if we get Lloyd Irving, that’s probably my last pick for DLC. But aside from that...well, I guess i’m hoping for the best.

Sorry if this rant is found to be annoying. I just am finding myself to be disappointed, because in terms of “new” characters, it seems as if my only/most wanted got the shaft.

Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice

My guess is that Sakurai got it for something minor and only mentioned it because he thought it was cool, yet we Smash fans, being as obsessive and over analytical as we've always been, just read way too far into it.
Smash fans: OMIGOSH! a toy gun will be playable for Smash!!!
Seriously though, I hope it's used for something in the future. If not DLC, then maybe for the development of a new game besides smash (Uprising 2...pls Sakurai?).

BTW, I'll be stealing that pic thx.

D

Deleted member

Honestly what's the general consensus on us getting a season 2, more characters beyond those included in the Fighters Pass?
Dunno about others, but I'm 50/50. Depends on how serious Nintendo's new CEO was when he said they want to double down on DLC and GaaS (Games as a Service).

Sakurai would probably stay and do it if Nintendo asked. He said "As long as people want more Smash, I'll keep making it", but I really hope he'd take a break inbetween seasons. The man's earned it 10 times over.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Probably a month, month and a half ago I found a 4chan leak that talked about how MOTHER 3 was going to finally get fully translated probably as part of the Masterpieces section in Ultimate. (I'm still trying to dig through my posts and find the link, it may not even be active anymore.)

Yeah, so it's not active. Billybo10K did do a video on it a few days later, but he never went over the comments. (imo the comments and the technical details he gave were the most convincing part). Iirc you can find the video and it'll have a screenshot of the main post in the second half of the video, I think he went over something else first.

I found the video by Billybo10K
https://youtu.be/CPDLpcSEwh0?t=531
It'll open about 8 minutes in, right on the screen he took of the main post.

D

Deleted member

Oh wow I had no idea, i wonder how they will incorporate his music if theres is a DQ rep. Given on what you're saying it may be difficult to get the composer to agree.
This is where I doubt there'll be anything Dragon Quest related, because remember that Smash Ultimate is one universal build across all countries. They literally release the US and Japan versions separate with different music, with Japan getting all the orchestrated goods and the US getting actual straight-up MIDIs.

So unless Sugiyama is willing to bow down, I don't think there's a feasible chance. And this isn't even just restricted to the music, he practically has a stranglehold on the franchise just cause of that with his views, and I don't think Sakurai nor Nintendo would want to reach out to Square and have to deal with him during negotiations. We can all meme about the Katalina negotiations, but those with Sugiyama will no doubt fall through.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Got a screenshot? The 4chan link is expired

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dunno about others, but I'm 50/50. Depends on how serious Nintendo's new CEO was when he said they want to double down on DLC and GaaS (Games as a Service).

Sakurai would probably stay and do it if Nintendo asked. He said "As long as people want more Smash, I'll keep making it", but I really hope he'd take a break inbetween seasons. The man's earned it 10 times over.
The one thing I want most out of Smash is for Sakurai to go take a nap.
For a week.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Financially it does, but the question is will Sakurai want to continue on for a second fighter pass?
It would be good to give the man some rest by cutting back the workload to a season pass or two. Also if he was to train a potential successor for smash it would be a good way to do that. Otherwise it also allows him to work on other projects, like a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising.

D

Deleted member

The build is the same in every region.

So everyone would get the midis to avoid angering that composer.
In Smash 4, all you had to do to localize/unlocalize songs was tick a checkbox in a certain file. Want Japanese Lost in Thoughts or Ashley’s Song? Just click a button. Dragon Quest music could be done in the same way. Check midis of for US/EU, check orchestral for JP.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It would be good to give the man some rest by cutting back the workload to a season pass or two. Also if he was to train a potential successor for smash it would be a good way to do that. Otherwise it also allows him to work on other projects, like a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising.
More like...9000000000000 or an infinite amount of Kid Icarus Uprising sequels...and many animes...and many movies...and merch...and an abusive amount of characters to join Smash as playable fighters...and food products...and Pit’s Angelically Made Hot Springs
BC06DA67-90F5-48AA-8041-D3F256348DFA.jpeg

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Got a screenshot? The 4chan link is expired
I found the video by Billybo10K
https://youtu.be/CPDLpcSEwh0?t=531
It'll open about 8 minutes in, right on the screen he took of the main post.
I never screened the post myself, but the video link has a screenshot of just the main post.
I kept an eye on that post for about an hour, and it got quite the response. He answered questions for quite a long time after the initial post.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Someone grade my DLC most wanteds:

Steve
Slime
Waluigi
Banjo
Gangplank

What do ya think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one thing I want most out of Smash is for Sakurai to go take a nap.
For a week.
I honestly kind of feel bad hoping there might be a season 2, lol. I feel like I'm being greedy for wanting that, especially when I already got my most wanted in the game along with other cool characters and my favorite veterans.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
This is where I doubt there'll be anything Dragon Quest related, because remember that Smash Ultimate is one universal build across all countries. They literally release the US and Japan versions separate with different music, with Japan getting all the orchestrated goods and the US getting actual straight-up MIDIs.

So unless Sugiyama is willing to bow down, I don't think there's a feasible chance. And this isn't even just restricted to the music, he practically has a stranglehold on the franchise just cause of that with his views, and I don't think Sakurai nor Nintendo would want to reach out to Square and have to deal with him during negotiations. We can all meme about the Katalina negotiations, but those with Sugiyama will no doubt fall through.
Agree also heres something we are forgetting that could potentially lean in either Sora or Geno's favor. Yoko Simomura the composer of Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG is already working on Smash Ultimate. She re-composed Vega's theme from Street Fighter that was released for Smash Ultimate. With the composer already on board, it may increase the chances of these characters. We will have to wait and see, if it is a Dragon Quest character it will be interesting to see how they handle the composer situation.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Eh. To be honest i’m a tad soured going into DLC. Like the more I think about it, there are only a few picks that would make me crap my pants, and one of them (Rex with/without Pyra) is pretty much not happening.

It just seems weird to me. Like not a, “GUYZ IT MEANS SOMETHING!11!” weird but just...weird. Spring Man and Rex were two headlining Switch protagonists (SM more of a cover man), and now their chances at Smash are pretty much done. That’s just odd to me. Add in the fact that none of the best songs from XC2 got in (Monster Surprised You, Incoming!, etc...), and it’s even weirder.

My guess, and I guess you could say it’s pessimistic at this point, is that the 3rd Party DLC has been decided for months. Sure, Sakurai said they made the picks, but i’m feeling quite certain that the SE pick, Steve, and whoever else have been determined awhile back now.

To be honest it makes sense. Companies would get more of their profit from a Direct DLC sale as opposed to their property in a game. Going into the launch of the game, i’m really hyped. Like, sometimes while i’m working I just get bursts of excitement because, “Oh ****! This game is out in like less than 4 weeks!” But, I don’t know. Like I almost never get bummed when it comes to Smash, and I really have no reason to.

It’s entirely my own fault for convincing myself Rex was a lock for DLC, because he seems like a no brained. He expands upon a series that is becoming steadily more successful, provides unique gameplay, and is an extremely popular pick in Japan especially (frankly I think he’s popular in other areas too). However, he’s picked for a Mii Fighter costume.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate that costume. It definitely feels like a consolation prize, and I appreciate it...to an extent. However, it’s not actually Rex. The victory theme is still a generic Smash theme. His moveset is similar to any other sword fighter. He won’t say anything Rex says, or embody who the character is.

Now that we know (probably) who is going to be picked for DLC, i’m just going to legitimately have to question some of the picks. Not really entirely because i’m salty, but because there are picks that people truly wanted. Mii Fighter costumes are a great way to help fans feel like they’re playing certain picks, but it will never replace or sub for that character, truly.

I know, I shouldn’t complain. I got a lot of what I wanted, and some people didn’t get anything that wanted. You can’t win them all, but I just really, really enjoyed Rex and his game. Smash is like the “Mega game” in which I envision any new favorite character in because that’s, like, my jam, you know? Just a bit disappointed that he’ll probably never make it now, considering a new Xenoblade will likely be out by the time any sort of Smash reboot shows up.

I’ll always hold out hope, and if we get Lloyd Irving, that’s probably my last pick for DLC. But aside from that...well, I guess i’m hoping for the best.

Sorry if this rant is found to be annoying. I just am finding myself to be disappointed, because in terms of “new” characters, it seems as if my only/most wanted got the shaft.
Nah I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still bummed/baffled at no new Sonic characters and the DLC talk is just uninteresting to me. I almost feel like they jumped the gun a bit early and should have told us about it closer to launch.

I know people always say "lul Nintendo doesn't listen to fans" but K. Rool and Ridley gave people so much hope. For what's supposed to be the Smash Bros. game you think they'd go a little beyond that. Like the idea of Steve from Minecraft, a character who isn't actually a character, really doesn't excite me and feels rather tone-deaf when a different Microsoft character has been in demand for years.

I dunno man, I think seeing Shadow tossed aside while Ken roams freely just caused me to snap a bit.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Nah I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still bummed/baffled at no new Sonic characters and the DLC talk is just uninteresting to me. I almost feel like they jumped the gun a bit early and should have told us about it closer to launch.

I know people always say "lul Nintendo doesn't listen to fans" but K. Rool and Ridley gave people so much hope. For what's supposed to be the Smash Bros. game you think they'd go a little beyond that. Like the idea of Steve from Minecraft, a character who isn't actually a character, really doesn't excite me and feels rather tone-deaf when a different Microsoft character has been in demand for years.

I dunno man, I think seeing Shadow tossed aside while Ken roams freely just caused me to snap a bit.
Maybe they held off shadow for Eggman;)

LetterO

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm removing Sylux from my list of DLC predictions. I think I just got a little too giddy when I discovered the Dark Samus alt thing and immediately assumed he could be likely.

Here's my new predictions.
-Doomguy
-Crash
-Neku/Geno/Sora/DQcharacter
-Bandana Dee
-Steve

I'd replace Crash or Doomguy with the 1st party Nintendo swordfighter, but I'm not putting cards into that until I get an actual name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom