• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Chun-Li is such an iconic character and I feel like she'd be a great character addition

It would also be interesting to see how they'd implement the charge specials.

Spinning bird kick could easily be done with just crouching but the kikoken motion might cause some awkwardness controlwise

D

Deleted member

I almost want Akuma more than Chun-Li just so we could have the main shoto trio in smash, and because Akuma is the king of crossovers next to Ryu. But at the same time Chun-Li would allow us to re-create moment 37 in smash so hmmmm.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, I heard :ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter: share a Classic Mode with each other (fighting against the others) but I'm not sure of it's accuracy.
That'd work for Ken, being the original echo.

But for all of them? I hope you're wrong. That would be so creatively bankrupt and disappointing.

D

Deleted member

Also, if Final Fantasy were to get newcomers, I prefer them to be Cecil Harvey and Terra Bradford.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Once again, Pokemon reigns supreme.

As it should be.
Zelda looks surprisingly good too. Pretty sure she has a frame 1 jab which means she is really good out of shield but I could be wrong on that.
Don't get too happy though because I bet they nerf him on the first patch

D

Deleted member

I mean, I heard :ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter: share a Classic Mode with each other (fighting against the others) but I'm not sure of it's accuracy.
I know Richter's is called "Dash Fighters" or something so at least his is nased on that but I don't know about the others
To me much like with other series there are a chosen few characters and certain number of characters to which I'm like "YEP that_____ no question this is all you need."

For SF, to me that's :ultryu::ultken:

:ultbayonetta:: Kick lady that even kick spins in on of her moves

:ultzelda:: Projectile lady with a hard kick, whom also spins.
ZSS also has kicks though? And a blue color scheme as default.
Zelda is too focused on magic to pass off as Chun-Li and Bayo has a bunch of ither things that don't resemble Chun at all.

D

Deleted member

Marginally related to the question above, if your favorite character made it in, how would their classic mode be themed?
This sounds fun.

Homura: :ultpiranha::ultkirby::ultrob::ultgnw::ultlucina::ultbayonetta:

Themed after the witches in the anime in chronological order.

Star: :ultdk::ultkingdedede::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultzelda::ultridley:

Themed after the major villains* in the show.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Can somebody call Zinith?

He needs to see this video. It might actually cheer him up.

Pakky

Smash Hero
ZSS also has kicks though? And a blue color scheme as default.
Zelda is too focused on magic to pass off as Chun-Li and Bayo has a bunch of ither things that don't resemble Chun at all.
Well same could be said about Bayo but to a lesser degree in terms of blue.

Now on the abilties front, Zelda I'll give you. But Bayo does kick... a lot. And as far as abilties go, well Chun-Li doe's have a gun or a whip.

My point is that there wasn't only one choice in this comparison.
:ultzss: was the better between her and say :ultbayonetta: but I just find it weird that her legs were highlighted in one of the directs followed by her playing Chun-Li's role in :ultryu:'s classic mode journey

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zinith's obsession with Yoshi was endearing at first but now it's just full on annoying
Well same could be said about Bayo but to a lesser degree in terms of blue.

Now on the abilties front, Zelda I'll give you. But Bayo does kick... a lot. And as far as abilties go, well Chun-Li doe's have a gun or a whip.
All of ZSS's non whip or gun moves are kicks though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Needs more John Cena himself fighting them all
They should've stopped at 3, it was the perfect ending.

That said, i'm curious as to where this movie will take them.
The movie will cause more depression than 3 did (don’t need to become an emotional wreck over another sad movie about toys)
Honestly I think a Smash DLC announcement makes a huge amount of sense. You're on an up and coming event in the gaming industry (especially in the West) which is arguably where Nintendo would need to get their games in peoples faces.

Then you have the fact that the VGAs are literally on December 6th...the night before the release of their biggest game of the year. If you don't think they're going to mention something about Smash as they interview Reggie or whoever is there. They will say something about Smash. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have something, whether it's a launch trailer, and then a CGI reveal with no gameplay...maybe kinda like Snake?

Surely, they could reveal MP4, and I think there's a chance for multiple Nintendo titles to make an appearance (I'd especially say Metroid, simply based on the main demographic). I just think not having something related to Smash would be a missed opportunity.

There's also the rivalry of Reggie vs. Geoff Keighley (warning: some expletives every once in awhile)

Reggie vs Geoff part 9000 when? Also...Kid Icarus Uprising HD followed by a 4th title announcement at VGA 2018...needed
The lack of HI I'M DAISY is a sin.
Agreed
Been doing some large brain thinking and I keep coming back to stuff like this for Chun- Li
Isn't odd that Ryu fights :ultzss: in classic mode and Chun-Li music plays when he does so?
Does more kicking, wears blue, flexible as ****, from the 80s, traumatized, heroic, female icon in gaming, glorious legs, blonde, has only 1 gun, and is Samus Aran...nothing odd about her repping Chun-Li (and Shantae) at all
That'd work for Ken, being the original echo.

But for all of them? I hope you're wrong. That would be so creatively bankrupt and disappointing.
:ultken: should share with :ultryu:, :ultlucina::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultrichter: should get something unique, and :ultdarkpit:...gets one mission and one boss fight, then give :ultpit: 24 different levels in Classic Mode that references his glorious adventure (just like in Uprising)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since every character is getting a cool and unique classic mode. Does that mean that all the DLC characters Will get one too or do you think one specific will be created for all of them?

Marginally related to the question above, if your favorite character made it in, how would their classic mode be themed?
For Mega Man X: :ultfalco::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultbowser::ultdk::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultridley:

They'd be vaguely based on bosses from his series, not just one game. Storm Eagle, Neon Tiger, Wheel Gator, Rainy Turtloid, Spark Mandrill, Blizzard Wolfang, Squid Alder, Magma Dragoon.

So maybe a Purple colored Falco starts out with a Jetpack and the Gust Bellows for example. And the stage is Pilotwings.

For Ryu Hayabusa: :ultmario:(maybe with:ultdoc:and :ultluigi:),:ultsamus:,:ultmegaman:,:ultlink:,:ultpit:,:ultsimon:,:ultlittlemac:,:ultduckhunt:. Characters known for the NES days.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Been doing some large brain thinking and I keep coming back to stuff like this for Chun- Li

Isn't odd that Ryu fights :ultzss: in classic mode and Chun-Li music plays when he does so?

Also

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/381/691/11a.png

Peculiar map/model change, no?

The reason I bring this up is because I have a working theory that these changes may matter based on what has happened in the past.

Swear warning

Probably means NOTHING
But if you told me Bayo was gonna be is Smash back in 2014 I would call you insane.
There's something hilarious about that screenshot, especially with the "PORKY" in the background.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Got a game for us to play. Here's a list of notable Nintendo franchises that didn't receive a unique newcomer.

:ultlink::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultmarth::ultpit::ultshulk:

List these franchises from most to least likely to get a DLC character (and before anyone tries to point out that this doesn't narrow down who we could get, I already know. I just want to see what everyone thinks).

For example, here's mine:

:ultkirby::ultlink::ultshulk::ultmarth::ultfox::ultyoshi::ultpit:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
It’s probably less Nintendo neglecting him and more Squeenix being super stingy.
To be fair, the lack of Cloud stuff isn’t Nintendo’s fault.

They’re being generous. It was never endearing.
oh yea, don't get it twisted I know Nintendo isn't the reason we have a whopping two songs from Final Fantasy and Cloud not getting any promotional material

this is just an argument that could be made to appease people who are dissatisfied with their favorite character's contributions to the trailer

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Got a game for us to play. Here's a list of notable Nintendo franchises that didn't receive a unique newcomer.

List these franchises from most to least likely to get a DLC character (and before anyone tries to point out that this doesn't narrow down who we could get, I already know. I just want to see what everyone thinks).

Alright. Here's what I think:
:ultkirby::ultshulk::ultmarth::ultlink::ultpit::ultfox::ultyoshi:

Noipoi

Howdy!

:ultkirby: Has a really good chance
:ultmarth:
:ultshulk:
:ultpit:
:ultlink:
:ultfox:
:ultyoshi: Not gonna happen

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

predicted?

:ultshulk::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultlink::ultpit::ultfox::ultyoshi:

desired?

:ultshulk::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmarth::ultfox::ultpit:

D

Deleted member

I just watched a bunch of Incineroar matches. He didn't win a single one.

I'm scared lads.
I haven’t seen people using Lariat. I do feel like he’s got significant problems, but Smash has never had a character like him before, and no one’s playing him well yet. If he’s still losing like this after people figure out how to use hin, then we’ve got a problem.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I haven’t seen people using Lariat. I do feel like he’s got significant problems, but Smash has never had a character like him before, and no one’s playing him well yet. If he’s still losing like this after people figure out how to use hin, then we’ve got a problem.
Yeah, I guess I should wait until people get used to his unique play style first.
I just don't want him to be bad because I want to play him all the time, but I also don't want to lose all the time.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I assume everyone has read Sakurai's statement about no manga characters.

However, there is one inconsistence. I'm not saying I don't believe Sakurai's statement, but for the record, didn't Legend of Zelda get a manga?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I just watched a bunch of Incineroar matches. He didn't win a single one.

I'm scared lads.
I wouldn’t worry too much. A few people were worried about Ridley too at first but we eventually got good plays from him. I feel Incineroar will be about the same. If not, he’ll be improved through patches after release.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I wonder if Lariat can cancel things like a fully charged shadow ball?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I assume everyone has read Sakurai's statement about no manga characters.

However, there is one inconsistence. I'm not saying I don't believe Sakurai's statement, but for the record, didn't Legend of Zelda get a manga?
a manga ADAPTATION yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom