• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Which is why I'm wondering the whole "Square rep" thing in the first place, because I think we've found every character to have major problems in one way or another.
You know what big Square Character wouldn't have any problems? Ti-
Honestly, Agnes and Tifa are my 2 most wanted Square reps period. I have brought up both multiple times, but I feel like the fanbase is too fixated on Sora, Geno, and a DQ rep to actually consider them.
Damn, PsySmasher beat me to it.

Seriously, I don't think Tifa would have any issues.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Unless a Bravely rep was already in the works, at this point, I think there's no way a Bravely rep gets in instead of an Octopath rep. The Bravely games were mildly successful portable games, while Octopath has been an extremely successful Switch game.
Unless I'm mistaken, Default and Octopath both sold around a million (Default in 2014 no less, only halfway into the 3DS's lifecycle), with Second slightly under at 700,000 in April 2017 and another game on the way after Octopath's success. Octopath selling well may have prompted them to go further with it as an IP, but I genuinely don't see it getting in before Bravely, if there was ever a choice between these two. I also don't think we're getting anything represented that was released past 2017 due to the Rex situation and implications that this roster was decided a long time ago.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have issues with Tifa because I don't think we should be getting a 2nd FF7 rep.

And I say that as someone for whom Tifa was a very *ahem* formative character during my teen years.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know what big Square Character wouldn't have any problems? Ti-

Damn, PsySmasher beat me to it.

Yeah, but I don't think Sakurai would choose to represent yet another FF7 character instead of picking another franchise, or hell another game in the same franchise.
And if he did, I can only imagine it'd be Sephiroth.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Well, while you guys talk about very likely to get into smash reps, ill stand here, daydreaming about Touhou...

I wonder, would it be Reimu/Marisa? Youmu? Tenshi? Maybe a Tag character? How wonderful would the remixes be?...

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have issues with Tifa because I don't think we should be getting a 2nd FF7 rep.

And I say that as someone for whom Tifa was a very *ahem* formative character during my teen years.
But that's a subjective issue (I do understand though).

However...

:ultryu::ultken:
:ultsimon::ultrichter:

We already have 3rd Party franchises with two reps (yes, I know they're Echoes and therefore special, but it's still two reps, consarnit!).
Yeah, but I don't think Sakurai would choose to represent yet another FF7 character instead of picking another franchise, or hell another game in the same franchise.
The thing about Sephiroth is that they'd have to work out how to balance around his sword (not that this can't be done).

Regardless, you're right that it'd probably be better to have a different Square franchise represented.

But I don't really care, in all honesty.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, while you guys talk about very likely to get into smash posts, ill stand here, daydreaming about Touhou...

I wonder, would it be Reimu/Marisa? Youmu? Tenshi? Maybe a Tag character? How wonderful would the remixes be?...
Obviously it'd be Reimu, come on.
Maybe Marisa would appear as a tag character, but the rest would definitely be background elements or stage hazards at most.
I'm hoping for this theme to get in if Reimu somehow, against all odds, makes it in.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
In terms of other series, I can't really comment on that. All we know is that multiple characters from the same franchise can be represented, but (as of right now) no two unique 3rd party characters have come from the same series.

In terms of Final Fantasy reps, I do think another character from FFVII is more likely than any other game. I always found it weird that Cloud's series name was Final Fantasy VII instead of just Final Fantasy.

As for Sephiroth, he is the more logical choice for the 2nd FFVII rep. However, I do think he'd be harder to implement/balance due to his larger sword.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I always found it weird that Cloud's series name was Final Fantasy VII instead of just Final Fantasy.
But with DLC, as in previous games, it would be pretty easy to add another music folder for the new character, which assuming at least one is a new 3rd party, would be what they would have to do anyways. That or they could just edit "FF7" to say "FF" and the problem would be dealt with.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Obviously it'd be Reimu, come on.
Maybe Marisa would appear as a tag character, but the rest would definitely be background elements or stage hazards at most.
I'm hoping for this theme to get in if Reimu somehow, against all odds, makes it in.
Reimu is the obvious choice, but im more of a Marisa guy, shes my favourite~

Now that i think about it, a stage with Spellcards as Stage hazards would be amazing!

And yes, that theme would be a VERY good choice...

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Zinith Zinith

Since you felt the need to call me out, I'll be frank with you.

Also, to anyone trying to respond to by saying "X character is not used in promotion either" save your breath
Your immediate response to anybody else being upset their favorite characters aren't used in marketing either is to tell them to "save their breath." It's just rude, and you're going to get dismissive answers when you start the conversation this way.

Now take a step back and look at it without bias. Really stop and think about the fact that almost nobody has even noticed that Yoshi was missing from the World of Light trailer, because that speaks volumes for his public profile. Nintendo sent out the Crafted Yoshi alt to the press and it took almost an entire month for anybody to even realize it was there. Nintendo puts the marketable characters in their marketing, and the vast majority of people don't even notice when the others are missing. And it's not just Yoshi getting this treatment.

You probably didn't even realize Wario is nowhere to be seen, either. He's a staple of all the party, kart and sport games, and the lead of two different successful spinoff franchises (and, unlike Yoshi, there's no question Wario represents his own franchise first and Mario second) and yet he's completely MIA from all the marketing, too. And it should be really obvious why. This goes for Yoshi, too, by the way.

When you're a character who is playable in so many games that people have long since stopped counting, you lose the novelty of being in a crossover. Like, man, Luigi isn't even in the World of Light trailer. Maybe stop and consider that the reason Yoshi isn't being used to sell the game is because he's just too ubiquitous.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Her normal outfit is no worse than ZSS' alts.
Underwear :ultshulk: and Sports Gear :ultzss:: A' okay!
Tifa in her normal attire: The literal Devil.

(I kid, I kid).
In terms of other series, I can't really comment on that. All we know is that multiple characters from the same franchise can be represented, but (as of right now) no two unique 3rd party characters have come from the same series.

In terms of Final Fantasy reps, I do think another character from FFVII is more likely than any other game. I always found it weird that Cloud's series name was Final Fantasy VII instead of just Final Fantasy.

As for Sephiroth, he is the more logical choice for the 2nd FFVII rep. However, I do think he'd be harder to implement/balance due to his larger sword.
If they were going for sheer public recognisability, they'd either go for Lara Croft, Slime or another FF7 rep (i.e. Sephiroth or Tifa) for Square.

I'd list Sora in that list too, but he's not really a Square rep, and I think that's been made pretty clear.
-------------------------------------------
Theoretically, you could cannibalize parts of :ultlittlemac: (punches), :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: (kicks) to create Tifa (along with :ultincineroar: for his suplex).

It's not like they haven't done that before: :4myfriends: > :4cloud: & :4zss: > :4bayonetta:.

I'd at least expect this if someone were to try to make her for a new character mod. Project M style.

D

Deleted member

So, this is probably going to be completely random, but this:
This right here is probably the best fangame I've ever seen.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well, while you guys talk about very likely to get into smash reps, ill stand here, daydreaming about Touhou...

Man, talk about characters I secretly want, but never mention.

Reimu without a doubt. I'd love for some more Touhou characters to get some love, but she is the face of the series.

And I'd be fine with pretty much any Touhou music.

In regards to indie series, Touhou has one of the best chances of getting a rep next to Shantae (in my opinion).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What a strange, yet completely solid roster.
Yeah. I don't even know who Lennth and Etna are. Apperatley, they're from Valkyrie Profile and Disgaia respectively.
I love how they handled Link, Samus, X, and Soma's movesets though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

It's probably just called Final Fantasy VII because that's really all Cloud can call his own and all content in Smash is from VII, from characters to the stage to music. While he is a Final Fantasy character, he isn't in 80+% of Final Fantasy titles, so he really is just kind of repping the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, its own sub-series within Final Fantasy consisting of Final Fantasy VII, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, and Crisis Core (maybe Final Fantasy VII Remake too). Considering though that his series emblem is the FF for Final Fantasy and not VII or the Meteor, I'd say it's likely that they'd lop off the VII if they decided to include content from other Final Fantasy titles.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Underwear :ultshulk: and Sports Gear :ultzss:: A' okay!
Tifa in her normal attire: The literal Devil.

(I kid, I kid).

If they were going for sheer public recognisability, they'd either go for Lara Croft, Slime or another FF7 rep (i.e. Sephiroth or Tifa) for Square.

I'd list Sora in that list too, but he's not really a Square rep, and I think that's been made pretty clear.
-------------------------------------------
Theoretically, you could cannibalize parts of :ultlittlemac: (punches), :ultzss: and :ultbayonetta: (kicks) to create Tifa (along with :ultincineroar: for his suplex).

It's not like they haven't done that before: :4myfriends: > :4cloud: & :4zss: > :4bayonetta:.

I'd at least expect this if someone were to try to make her for a new character mod. Project M style.
Honestly for Tifa I was more talking about her breast size itself which is really apparent in her normal look, which unlike Samus Nintendo likely couldn't alter without permission from Square Enix. lol

D

Deleted member

Honestly for Tifa I was more talking about her breast size itself which is really apparent in her normal look, which unlike Samus Nintendo likely couldn't alter without permission from Square Enix. lol
What's wrong with how Tifa looks?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Tifa has the pretty much the same size breasts as Zero Suit Samus did in Smash 4.

She'd be fine; I just assume Zero Suit Samus got a toning down (and toning up, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) because Metroid fans... complained? I think.

Basically what I'm saying is that Zamus probably didn't get a breast reduction because of censorship.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Tifa has the pretty much the same size breasts as Zero Suit Samus did in Smash 4.

She'd be fine; I just assume Zero Suit Samus got a toning down (and toning up, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) because Metroid fans... complained? I think.

Basically what I'm saying is that Zamus probably didn't get a breast reduction because of censorship.
I guess. lol. Though from what I remember weren't most of the complaints about her boots and the last two outfits? I do think I remember people acting like she had gone up like ten cup sizes though but not sure how common that was

KMDP

Smash Legend
I guess. lol. Though from what I remember weren't most of the complaints about her boots and the last two outfits? I do think I remember people acting like she had gone up like ten cup sizes though but not sure how common that was
Reception to Zero Suit Samus was pretty mixed, if I remember right.

Some people hated the boots, some people loved them.
Some people complained about the swimsuits, and then Sakurai pointed out those two costumes were designed by one of the female members of the development team and a lot of them shut up. Everyone else who cared thought they were awesome references to handheld titles (because they appeared there).
I think there weren't that many complaints about Zamus' chest either, but they may have been well targeted enough for Sakurai to hear them (or maybe they just boosted Zamus' bust to facilitate making Bayonetta, then returned her to "normal" when that was no longer needed *shrug*)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Reception to Zero Suit Samus was pretty mixed, if I remember right.

Some people hated the boots, some people loved them.
Some people complained about the swimsuits, and then Sakurai pointed out those two costumes were designed by one of the female members of the development team and a lot of them shut up. Everyone else who cared thought they were awesome references to handheld titles (because they appeared there).
I think there weren't that many complaints about Zamus' chest either, but they may have been well targeted enough for Sakurai to hear them (or maybe they just boosted Zamus' bust to facilitate making Bayonetta, then returned her to "normal" when that was no longer needed *shrug*)
Funnily enough, Bayonetta has a pretty modest chest size for a character that supposed to be extremely sexualized. It's either because she was designed by a woman or Kamiya admittedly prefers women with small bust sizes.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm going to refrain from commenting on the boots or chest size since I don't want to get into that in this thread, but I always did find the "controversy" around her last two alts to be a kind of ridiculous. Oh no, work out gear. How scandalous. I've been known to criticize female character designs I find to be distasteful but I'm not so eager for controversy that I freak out every time a bit of skin is shown. There's other things to consider, like where that skin is shown and why. There's a reason why Fem Corrin got censored while Zamus's alts didn't.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, Bayonetta has a pretty modest chest size for a character that supposed to be extremely sexualized. It's either because she was designed by a woman or Kamiya admittedly prefers women with small bust sizes.
Considering the genre of her game, a big bust would have not worked.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think it also has to do with the fact that Bayonetta is based on fashion models as well.

Which is why she's, like, 10 heads tall (men are approximately 8 heads tall, women are about 7.5 heads tall)

NOTE: Head measurement is often mistaken for having to do with height; it's not (well, it's more accurate to say "it's not that simple"), it's about proportions, the size of the head relative to the person's body. I'm pretty sure Bayonetta is actually about 6' 2".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom