• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm late to this, but my reason for not wanting Steve has nothing to do with popularity. He's ugly, has no personality, and not much to work with compared to other characters such as (fellow Microsoft rep) Banjo-Kazooie..
i just want to note that its SUPER easy to make a really good banjo and kazooie moveset, but nearly impossible to make one that's good for steve

trust me, i know
I hate it when people say that Steve can't bring much to the table, when it's actually the exact opposite...
Here, let me make a pretty interesting move set with what Steve can offer...
Neutral Special: Block Place Steve places a block. It can be stacked to make walls, be set on fire with Steve's Side B for longer reach, and can be destroyed when it takes enough damage. Using the Down Special, he can toggle what block he uses...
The default choices are a stack of Dirt Blocks and a a stack of Sand Blocks. When he crafts using resources he gains during the fight, he can get more stuff like Stone Blocks, Wood Blocks, a Block of TNT, Diamond Blocks, Slime Blocks, Anvil and Pistons...

Dirt is pretty weak, but it's not bad for what Steve starts out with
Sand is the weakest of the bunch, but when breaking blocks beneath it or placing it in the air, it will fall and slightly damage opponents beneath it
Wood is the easiest to obtain and catches fire pretty quickly, making for some good chain attacks, with Steve's Side B. However it's fairly easy to destroy
Stone is somewhat strong and fairly easy to obtain, but it can't catch fire...
Slime Blocks act as a sort of trampoline. When a fighter steps on them, they bounce off...
Pistons can damage foes and launch them upwards...
Anvil is a much stronger version of Sand. Breaking a block beneath it or placing it in the air will damage the opponents quite a bit. It also has a meteor smash effect in the air...
Diamond Blocks are the rarest of the bunch, but are extremely sturdy...
Block of TNT can explode and damage opponents. But be careful, it can damage Steve too...

Up Special: Ender Pearl Steve throws an Ender Pearl, and he will teleport to where it lands... Can be aimed

Side Special Flint & Steel: This move will cause Steve to create a nearby fire that lasts for a couple of seconds... Basically Ness and Lucas' PK Fire, without the reach... Placing a fire near certain blocks will cause them to do a little chain reaction...

Down Special Menu: Crafting Table During the fight, Steve will pick up resources. Using the down special will open up a crafting menu which Steve can use to upgrade his armor and weapons... This move is also used to toggle the Item he uses in his Neutral Special
He can craft the following items...

Wood Blocks
Stone Blocks
Diamond Blocks,
TNT
Slime Blocks
Piston
Anvil
Stone, Gold, Iron, and Diamond Swords
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Helmets
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Chestplates
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Leggings
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Boots

Final Smash: The End Steve creates an end portal, and out of it spawn some Endermen, and the Ender Dragon...
Endermen will do serious damage to opponents who are looking in their direction, and the Ender Dragon will fly across the screen, causing a ton of damage
It might be a bit ambitious, but I don't care

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I hate it when people say that Steve can't bring much to the table, when it's actually the exact opposite...
Here, let me make a pretty interesting move set with what Steve can offer...
Neutral Special: Block Place Steve places a block. It can be stacked to make walls, be set on fire with Steve's Side B for longer reach, and can be destroyed when it takes enough damage. Using the Down Special, he can toggle what block he uses...
The default choices are a stack of Dirt Blocks and a a stack of Sand Blocks. When he crafts using resources he gains during the fight, he can get more stuff like Stone Blocks, Wood Blocks, a Block of TNT, Diamond Blocks, Slime Blocks, Anvil and Pistons...

Dirt is pretty weak, but it's not bad for what Steve starts out with
Sand is the weakest of the bunch, but when breaking blocks beneath it or placing it in the air, it will fall and slightly damage opponents beneath it
Wood is the easiest to obtain and catches fire pretty quickly, making for some good chain attacks, with Steve's Side B. However it's fairly easy to destroy
Stone is somewhat strong and fairly easy to obtain, but it can't catch fire...
Slime Blocks act as a sort of trampoline. When a fighter steps on them, they bounce off...
Pistons can damage foes and launch them upwards...
Anvil is a much stronger version of Sand. Breaking a block beneath it or placing it in the air will damage the opponents quite a bit. It also has a meteor smash effect in the air...
Diamond Blocks are the rarest of the bunch, but are extremely sturdy...
Block of TNT can explode and damage opponents. But be careful, it can damage Steve too...

Up Special: Ender Pearl Steve throws an Ender Pearl, and he will teleport to where it lands... Can be aimed

Side Special Flint & Steel: This move will cause Steve to create a nearby fire that lasts for a couple of seconds... Basically Ness and Lucas' PK Fire, without the reach... Placing a fire near wood blocks will cause them to do a little chain reaction...

Down Special Menu: Crafting Table During the fight, Steve will pick up resources. Using the down special will open up a crafting menu which Steve can use to upgrade his armor and weapons... This move is also used to toggle the Item he uses in his Neutral Special
He can craft the following items...

Wood Blocks
Stone Blocks
Diamond Blocks,
TNT
Slime Blocks
Piston
Anvil
Stone, Gold, Iron, and Diamond Swords
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Helmets
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Chestplates
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Leggings
Leather, Chainmail, Golden, Iron, and Diamond Boots

Final Smash: The End Steve creates an end portal, and out of it spawn some Endermen, and the Ender Dragon...
Endermen will do serious damage to opponents who are looking in their direction, and the Ender Dragon will fly across the screen, causing a ton of damage
There is FAR too much to manage in this moveset

It's a party fighter, you can't expect people to remember what Steve can craft on the fly.

Side special is like you said basically just Ness and Lucas' PK Fire. The Ender Pearl isn't THAT bad but it's...also just basically Mewtwo's.

I wouldn't call this too interesting. Steve absolutely has interesting moveset choices but I dislike seeing movesets that have him as a 10000 IQ player when this game is kid-aimed in many regards.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sure, make a moveset for him. I'm actually quite curious to see what you come up with.
Alright kids sit down it's time for some theory crafting.

Basic thing to start off with is easily the :GCB: moves.

N-:GCB:: Pistons. Set it down and wait for someone (or a reflective projectile) to get sent flying in a certain direction. To activate it, you need to hit the pressure plate/button on the opposite end before triggering the piston. Before setting the piston, you can set which direction for it to be facing: up, down (in the air), left, or right. It will eventually disappear or be removed if a new one is placed.
S-:GCB:: Minecart. Pretty simple. I'd say a mishmash of the Bullet Bill item and :ultwario:'s bike. First thing you have to do is set foot in it, which could be done by either Steve himself, an opponent, or an item. Once that is met, it sets off. It can't change direction, but it's fast and hits somewhat hard. Of course you need a set of minecart tracks, which I'd say have a set of a few units before the cart disappears, and immediately disappears if it gets off the ground no matter the distance. Can't be used as a recovery though because you can't set Minecarts in the air you dummy.
U-:GCB:: Eye of Ender. Aim it and chuck it like it's Yoshi's Island. Wherever it lands, you go. It can hit enemies, so even if they telegraph it, they'll get hit so they won't be able to tackle you immediately.
D-:GCB:: Splash Potions. Think of it like :ultsimon: Holy Water:ultrichter:, but instead of fire, you get various debuffs that last for a period of time. The most notrious one is the Splash Potion of Poison, which I suppose would have similar effects of poison to the upcoming :ultpiranha:, and the Splash Potions of Weakness and Slowness. I'd also consider the Potion of Decay, which inflicts Wither, a similar DPS like Poison that kills you (unlike Poison). But that'd be pretty broken unless it only kills you if you're already at 100%+, I suppose.

Something about the Pistons and Minecart, as with most crafted items, you can destroy them by attacking them. The same applies to these items.

This is taking a while to type so I'll probably do the :GCA: attacks later since it takes way much more time.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There is FAR too much to manage in this moveset

It's a party fighter, you can't expect people to remember what Steve can craft on the fly.

Side special is like you said basically just Ness and Lucas' PK Fire. The Ender Pearl isn't THAT bad but it's...also just basically Mewtwo's.

I wouldn't call this too interesting. Steve absolutely has interesting moveset choices but I dislike seeing movesets that have him as a 10000 IQ player when this game is kid-aimed in many regards.
Welp, you got me...
How would you would make his move set?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One day Chrom will win in one of these one-on-one matches.

One day...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright kids sit down it's time for some theory crafting.

Basic thing to start off with is easily the :GCB: moves.

N-:GCB:: Pistons. Set it down and wait for someone (or a reflective projectile) to get sent flying in a certain direction. To activate it, you need to hit the pressure plate/button on the opposite end before triggering the piston. Before setting the piston, you can set which direction for it to be facing: up, down (in the air), left, or right. It will eventually disappear or be removed if a new one is placed.
S-:GCB:: Minecart. Pretty simple. I'd say a mishmash of the Bullet Bill item and :ultwario:'s bike. First thing you have to do is set foot in it, which could be done by either Steve himself, an opponent, or an item. Once that is met, it sets off. It can't change direction, but it's fast and hits somewhat hard. Of course you need a set of minecart tracks, which I'd say have a set of a few units before the cart disappears, and immediately disappears if it gets off the ground no matter the distance. Can't be used as a recovery though because you can't set Minecarts in the air you dummy.
U-:GCB:: Eye of Ender. Aim it and chuck it like it's Yoshi's Island. Wherever it lands, you go. It can hit enemies, so even if they telegraph it, they'll get hit so they won't be able to tackle you immediately.
D-:GCB:: Splash Potions. Think of it like :ultsimon: Holy Water:ultrichter:, but instead of fire, you get various debuffs that last for a period of time. The most notrious one is the Splash Potion of Poison, which I suppose would have similar effects of poison to the upcoming :ultpiranha:, and the Splash Potions of Weakness and Slowness. I'd also consider the Potion of Decay, which inflicts Wither, a similar DPS like Poison that kills you (unlike Poison). But that'd be pretty broken unless it only kills you if you're already at 100%+, I suppose.

Something about the Pistons and Minecart, as with most crafted items, you can destroy them by attacking them. The same applies to these items.

This is taking a while to type so I'll probably do the :GCA: attacks later since it takes way much more time.
I get the feeling you've REALLY warmed up to Steve Ariga

Welp, you got me...
How would you would make his move set?
Oh that isn't my division lol. You definitely did better than what I could bust out. Been a long time since I was a moveset maker.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One of Incineroar's victory poses is holding a championship belt.

This is great.
That's literally just Little Mac's belt being reused lol

I get the feeling you've REALLY warmed up to Steve Ariga

Oh that isn't my division lol. You definitely did better than what I could bust out. Been a long time since I was a moveset maker.
I don't want him in, but I will never say he doesn't have moveset potential.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
The thing about creating a unique moveset for Steve (when using things like block placing or crafting) is that it just gets too complicated to manage.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
So many gameplay videos with high quality sound today as well. It's a never ending feast.

And that new Smash ad is amazing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The thing about creating a unique moveset for Steve (when using things like block placing or crafting) is that it just gets too complicated to manage.
Literally only one of the things I listed involves placement, and even then I did it because I think dunking people with a Piston is funny. :denzel:

D

Deleted member

One of Incineroar's victory poses is holding a championship belt.

This is great.
Ugh, I really hate what they're doing with the victory themes in this game. I'm a little scared for Shulk's now. The only footage I've seen of him winning has the pose get cut off before the theme ends.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) would be an interesting Risk/Reward character that focuses on caution and parrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom