• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well it does have a playable character who looks like a Yoshi OC on DeviantArt...

So it must be good :yoshi:
Susie's actually cool though. I hear that some who were fans of Undertale's soundtrack don't like this one very much. I sat through both and I have no clue what that camp's talking about. Deltarune's music is fantastic.

Oh yeah. I wonder if that's any good. Undertale is unironically a very well-made game.
It's almost completely opposite in themes and gameplay choices, the number one aspect being that it's now a FF-esque sideview perspective with a party of 3. It's still bullet hell segments here and there, but with a lot more interface screws. It's pretty colorful too, I dig it.

So far, it's ... Unknown?

Seems to be a "side-quel" of sorts. It isn't seemingly connected to Undertale at all, and it is its own story. No Frisk, few returning characters, new main character, only one chapter so far.

Seems to take place in some alternate timeline/universe type of ordeal, but you can already see how many connections it has to Undertale

Toby Fox was developing Deltarune alongside Undertale way before Undertale even released.

Any references or coincidences are intentional.
So far, people are saying it's.. A prequel of sorts in an alternate Universe.
Toby confirmed he reused assets for this game, so it's something of an alternate universe, but prequel just doesn't sell it right. Biggest red flag is that all of the returning characters are much older than their Undertale counterparts. Fans who argue for the "prequel" theory usually discuss time travel shenanigans for spoiler reasons. There is some logic to the theory, but it's still quite a leap.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is it like a sequel or some kind of other events in the same universe kinda ****?
It actually takes place in an alternate universe. Characters from Undertale still show up, but relationships and whatnot are pretty different.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
tbh you're part of the problem here as he's still getting publicity by all these posts about how bad he is. Especially as we're still calling rumours and doctored images 'leaks', which implies legitimacy
I mean, I don't really consider him a problem. If people wanna watch a video on a billion fake leaks, then good on them. He's a meme to me though.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Why does Steve get so much hate on this forum and is seen as "not being deserving"?

"Minecraft is for little children" - The community of the game doesn't change the chances. Sonic's community is even worse, and nobody complains about him. Also, Minecraft is not aimed for children. It's aimed for everyone, but a lot of kids like it. And considering we're part of the Smash fanbase, I don't think we have any right to criticize other fandoms.
"He's just a blank skin" - And so is Villager. Villager doesn't even have a name. The name is chosen by the player, just like for Steve.
"He's ugly" - The whole point of Smash is characters from franchises with completely different art styles meeting each other. It's already pretty awesome that Kirby and Mr. Game & Watch are in the same game with anime-style characters like Shulk and Marth. Imagine how cool it would be to see a character with such a unique and special design appearing alongside Mario and Pikachu.
"No history" - 3 Consoles, unique 3DS engine from scratch when the Switch was already out, two versions for the Switch, Story Mode, Mario skin pack, highly advertised on Nintendo as if it was a Nintendo game. History is more than just a period of time. *coughBanjocough*
"No moveset potential" - That's just not true. He has TOO MUCH moveset potential.

Steve isn't even a character I'm fond of, but I can recognize that he is iconic and many more people would be happy with his inclusion than disappointed.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
Susie's actually cool though. I hear that some who were fans of Undertale's soundtrack don't like this one very much. I sat through both and I have no clue what that camp's talking about. Deltarune's music is fantastic.

It's almost completely opposite in themes and gameplay choices, the number one aspect being that it's now a FF-esque sideview perspective with a party of 3. It's still bullet hell segments here and there, but with a lot more interface screws. It's pretty colorful too, I dig it.

Toby confirmed he reused assets for this game, so it's something of an alternate universe, but prequel just doesn't sell it right. Biggest red flag is that all of the returning characters are much older than their Undertale counterparts. Fans who argue for the "prequel" theory usually discuss time travel shenanigans for spoiler reasons. There is some logic to the theory, but it's still quite a leap.
By Prequel in alternate Universe, I meant more of...
Well, let's just say people are using that machine in ness's lab, the picture of him and 3 others, and ness & waluigi appearing out of nowhere one day in snowdin as evidence.

Granted, I don't really support this theory, thanks to all the speaking hands involved.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Why does Steve get so much hate on this forum and is seen as "not being deserving"?

"Minecraft is for little children" - The community of the game doesn't change the chances. Sonic's community is even worse, and nobody complains about him. Also, Minecraft is not aimed for children, it's aimed for everyone, but a lot of kids like it. And considering we're part of the Smash fanbase, I don't think we have any right to criticize other fandoms.
"He's just a blank skin" - And so is Villager. Villager doesn't even have a name. The name is chosen by the player, just like for Steve.
"He's ugly" - The whole point of Smash is characters from franchises with completely different art styles meeting each other. It's already pretty awesome that Kirby and Mr. Game & Watch are in the same game with anime-style characters like Shulk and Marth. Imagine how cool it would be to see a character with such a unique and special design appearing alongside Mario and Pikachu.
"No history" - 3 Consoles, unique 3DS engine from scratch when the Switch was already out, two versions for the Switch, Story Mode, Mario skin pack, highly advertised on Nintendo as if it was a Nintendo game. History is more then just a period of time. *coughBanjocough*
"No moveset potential" - That's just not true. He has TOO MUCH moveset potential.

Steve isn't even a character I'm fond of, but I can recognize that he is iconic and many more people would be happy with his inclusion than disappointed.
I agree

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So they removed most of wireframe mac alts

but

they kept male Wii Fit Trainer.
Honestly? Good.
The wireframes were stupidly plentiful and especially looked bad on stages with green backgrounds (like Duck Hunt)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sup guys. Sorry I haven't been active lately. A lot had been going on such as stuff on my mind.

So what we talking about?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

"Minecraft is for little children" - The community of the game doesn't change the chances. Sonic's community is even worse, and nobody complains about him. Also, Minecraft is not aimed for children, it's aimed for everyone, but a lot of kids like it. And considering we're part of the Smash fanbase, I don't think we have any right to criticize other fandoms.
"No history" - 3 Consoles, unique 3DS engine from scratch when the Switch was already out, two versions for the Switch, Story Mode, Mario skin pack, highly advertised on Nintendo as if it was a Nintendo game. History is more than just a period of time. *coughBanjocough*

Watch it be jinxed and it's actually Alex with Steve as an alt instead of the other way around.

NineS

Smash Lord

People don't really hate Steve himself. The majority of us don't, really. I think.

The majority of people here who don't want Steve don't want him for one of 2 reasons.
1. They're afraid if Steve is in, Banjo/Their most wanted is out.
2. They don't want Steve in, not because of Steve himself, but because of Minecraft's reputation, and it's "target audience/demographic" in the recent years.

and in defense of sonic, sonic mania.
Most of us either don't really care if Steve gets in, or would prefer he doesn't get in for the sake of someone else but would be fine with it if he does get in.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

"No history" - 3 Consoles, unique 3DS engine from scratch when the Switch was already out, two versions for the Switch, Story Mode, Mario skin pack, highly advertised on Nintendo as if it was a Nintendo game. History is more then just a period of time. *coughBanjocough*

I think it's mainly because of his design. It's true that smash has lots of different art styles, but Steve has the potential to stick out like a sore thumb. His animations are a bit limited and his design isn't the most appealing.
I agree that he deserves his spot though, so I wouldn't be against his inclusion. I would just prefer a stage

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace

He's still ugly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Said once and will say it again. I'm fine with Steve as long as we also get Banjo. I do get that Minecraft is popular thus why he could get in and the fact Sakurai loves the game having played it. This is Sakurai's game in the end, so I'll respect what decision he makes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, have we ever found out why the World of Light trailer has more views than both the August and November Directs, and almost gonna be more viewed than the original reveal?

Screenshot (1131).png

It might almost reach over 7 million views by the time this game releases. Like, how was this possible? Because we're finally having a semi-story?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
the problem with steve is that he could be literally any other character and i don't think anyone would care. nobody is going to say that X character took steve's place, the only reason we're expecting him is because of vergeben and not because people here actually want him in smash

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
So, have we ever found out why the World of Light trailer has more views than both the August and November Directs, and almost gonna be more viewed than the original reveal?

View attachment 176802

It might almost reach over 7 million views by the time this game releases. Like, how was this possible? Because we're finally having a semi-story?
I'd like to chalk it up to it being one of the best-made trailers for anything ever.

osby

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 176802

Because it was literally the coolest thing ever?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

View attachment 176802

A short trailer is gonna go viral easier than a 30-minute presentation. Especially one that has so many recognizable characters.

It's like a movie trailer versus a teaser or an in-depth look. They're not too light on content and they're not too heavy, they're just right for virality.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

View attachment 176802

I have to agree with everyone here. Seriously one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It also pretty much salvaged the direct for me back then (In hindsight I realize the direct was great, but the grinch's death and PP got me salty lol)

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
By Prequel in alternate Universe, I meant more of...
Well, let's just say people are using that machine in ness's lab, the picture of him and 3 others, and ness & waluigi appearing out of nowhere one day in snowdin as evidence.

Granted, I don't really support this theory, thanks to all the speaking hands involved.
I hope that gag never dies, lmao. The whole plot could be sort of like Xenoblade if you think about it. In fact, I have my own theory. The three characters mentioned in Sans' lab were actually Ardanian Soldiers that Sans knew back when he hung out at Mor Ardain. Papyrus is actually a Blade, Mattpat is actually our version of Rex, and the Pope is our version of Amalthus.

But THAT'S just a theory! A GAAAAAAME THEORY!

You make it sound like I thought it was a bad thing, not knowing that you were talking to Zinith :yoshi:
Ha, it's just that referring to a character as someone's "deviantart" OC is usually meant as an insult.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please try to keep on topic, folks. Posting unrelated pics like that is considered spam.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Steve gets in and Banjo doesn't, will you get mad at Sakurai?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but in case not no as said I'll respect his decision as its his game in the end. Besides anything else at this point is icing on cake since I got K. Rool and Ridley.

Also its a video game in the end. That'd be petty to get mad at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom