• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
So, have we ever found out why the World of Light trailer has more views than both the August and November Directs, and almost gonna be more viewed than the original reveal?

View attachment 176802

It might almost reach over 7 million views by the time this game releases. Like, how was this possible? Because we're finally having a semi-story?
It’s like I’ve been telling people, casuals LOVE story mode. Literally it’s the one question I was always asked about smash 4. This might not be subspace emissary levels of story, but it’s enough to entice people to play. This games gonna sell like hot cakes, just you watch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I truly do wonder if it'll be the biggest selling game of 2018. Wouldn't be surprised. Too bad fighting games normally don't get Game of the Year awards.
If I recall correctly, it's already the best selling game of 2018, just from pre-orders.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If I recall correctly, it's already the best selling game of 2018, just from pre-orders.
No surprise there.

This, God of War, Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 definitely feel like nominees for GOTY. My gut tells me either God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2 will win.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Smash Ultimate will take Brawl's title of the highest selling Smash, you can bet on that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's my question. There were only six high-production newcomer trailers this time around. Given both that Smash 4 had about double that, and that Nintendo has seemingly prepared for DLC better this time than last, do you think the high-quality, high-budget trailers are going to continue with the five DLC characters?

Even accounting for a few story-driven trailers, we'd still only be in the realm of the base Smash 4 roster, quantity-wise, if we added the five future DLC characters. I think it's definitely possible.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I truly still do believe Bandana Dee and a TH FE character are guarantees. Sora and Rayman are possibilities too. At this point I don't expect Geno but Nintendo can always color me surprise.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Here's my question. There were only six high-production newcomer trailers this time around. Given both that Smash 4 had about double that, and that Nintendo has seemingly prepared for DLC better this time than last, do you think the high-quality, high-budget trailers are going to continue with the five DLC characters?

Even accounting for a few story-driven trailers, we'd still only be in the realm of the base Smash 4 roster, quantity-wise, if we added the five future DLC characters. I think it's definitely possible.
I think if they penciled in five characters a while ago, it's a possibility for sure. The CGI sections might not be as extensive as the previous ones (the Simon Belmont one goes on for quite a while), but it can happen. I hope it does.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

The fact that Piranha Plant's trailer wasn't CGi should give you the answer...

Noipoi

Howdy!

It's certainly possible, but I think it depends on when they're revealed.
Ultimate's roster was decided in 2015, giving them plenty of time to work on those trailers. The dlc was decided a few days ago. I dunno how long it takes to make one of those cg trailers but I imagine it takes a bit.

If the dlc characters are revealed mid-late 2019 then sure, but if it's revealed in February i'm not so sure.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well if Nintendo just decided NOW like Sakurai said, I find it really unlikely.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On Amazon, not in general.

Red Dead has already shipped 17 million copies. That's not units sold, but I'd imagine actual sales still provide a very steep obstacle.

Not to mention Pokemon, either.

where exactly was this sixth high quality trailer
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar:

Isabelle's was full CG as much as the others, it counts.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
a character with such a unique and special design
Sorry dude, That's not true, no matter how much you try sugar coating it.
I'll give you an exact example of how unique, special and appealing should go.. like this..

If you can't tell the difference, then that's on you.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333

It's definitely possible. A few DLC characters in Smash 4 had their own CG trailers, so I would think Nintendo would give Ultimate DLC that same treatment.
Also, we don't know exactly when the DLC was decided, but it's probably safe to say it was sometime this year...

Piranha Plant is still being worked on, plus the trailer was probably intentionally designed and edited that way to subvert our expectations.

StormC

Smash Hero
My two cents on Steve, as someone who doesn't play Minecraft:

Can Sakurai sell this character to people who don't play Minecraft? I've never played any of Simon Belmont's games before his reveal, and I was skeptical leading up to his announcement that he would be a good fit for Smash's third party choices. The trailer completely destroyed any concerns I had with the character and got me excited as hell for his inclusion in the game, and I instantly played the Classicvanias. Many years ago, Snake's inclusion did the same thing. Can Sakurai do that with Steve? Or is Steve the kind of character that only Minecraft fans really like?

If you're gonna add a third party, I think it should be a character with a broad appeal. Minecraft fans like Steve, and there's a lot of Minecraft fans, but how many of those overlap with the Smash userbase? And how can Steve be presented in a way to get people who have never touched Minecraft excited?

You can talk about the game's popularity and success until the cows come home, but we play as characters, not corporate stand-ins. While it's naive to think a game like Smash isn't littered with corporate mascots that help push software, Steve would feel the most transparent of these by far.

"Deserves" or not, as a complete outsider to Minecraft, nothing about Steve excites me. If he gets in, and I think he might, the world won't end, it'll just be another character out of 70+ that I don't care for. Spilled milk in the big scheme of things.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Let me just say I used to be among those people. I've grown up since and acknowledge the noob I used to be. Either way that was the past and now I'm moving forward to the present.
There was a guy on my college campus who hangs out with the group of people who play smash there, and he literally started crying and throwing a fit at the piranha plant reveal. He started saying that sakurai should die and that he's an idiot etc. I don't understand how people can be so angry at a video game. Literally it's a game where Kirby can fight Snake and Cloud. Who cares that your favorite obscure character didn't get into the roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There was a guy on my college campus who hangs out with the group of people who play smash there, and he literally started crying and throwing a fit at the piranha plant reveal. He started saying that sakurai should die and that he's an idiot etc. I don't understand how people can be so angry at a video game. Literally it's a game where Kirby can fight Snake and Cloud. Who cares that your favorite obscure character didn't get into the roster.
Well I'm not that guy and I pity him and any person that acts that way. Such people shouldn't even be such fans if that's how they're gonna be. I hope for that guys sake he grows up like how I had. It would definitely save him the embarrassment.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Sorry dude, That's not true, no matter how much you try sugar coating it.
Are you trying to say a blocky avatar wouldn't be unique compared to the rest of the Smash cast? No matter how much you try to deny it, Steve is an iconic character and deserves to get in just as much as many of the other characters people on this forum request.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As a character patched together with the parts of others and offered up free, Piranha Plant being treated with less esteem than the CG-worthy characters across the board indicates more or less that it would be unwise to lean on it as precedent.

Well if Nintendo just decided NOW like Sakurai said, I find it really unlikely.
Characters being now complete and decided now aren't inherently synonymous. One gives a specific timeframe of the decision, the other simply informs that it has been made.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
As a character patched together with the parts of others and offered up free, Piranha Plant being treated with less esteem than the CG-worthy characters across the board indicates more or less that it would be unwise to treat it as precedent.
piranha plant is a completely new character dude/lady/whatever you identify as sry, all his attacks are unique to him

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know who is currently completely absent within Ultimate and is someone Nintendo was pushing quite a bit for a recent release?

It's his time, boys. :p

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Piranha Plant is love, Piranha Plant is life.

When you get down to it. Piranha Plant is the character no one was asking for that we needed.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
piranha plant is a completely new character dude/lady/whatever you identify as sry, all his attacks are unique to him
Plus it'd be up for purchase just like the other DLC characters anyways, so it's just as valuable to get a CG trailer if they were planning on doing those types of trailers for the others...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The specials are, and the FS looks to be. Most others seem drawn from moves that have had prior work put into them.

And before anyone misrepresents that to mean it's a clone, I've already addressed that.
Piranha Plant isn't an echo, or even a semi-clone, but to borrow established functions, framing, and groundwork for animation would nevertheless truncate dev time and make sense for a character in this position, whereby he's probably always been ancillary to more priority developments.

They did it for Sonic, and no one is claiming he's a clone, but in Brawl especially you can see the seams of his patchwork creation.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My two cents on Steve, as someone who doesn't play Minecraft:

Can Sakurai sell this character to people who don't play Minecraft? I've never played any of Simon Belmont's games before his reveal, and I was skeptical leading up to his announcement that he would be a good fit for Smash's third party choices. The trailer completely destroyed any concerns I had with the character and got me excited as hell for his inclusion in the game, and I instantly played the Classicvanias. Many years ago, Snake's inclusion did the same thing. Can Sakurai do that with Steve? Or is Steve the kind of character that only Minecraft fans really like?

If you're gonna add a third party, I think it should be a character with a broad appeal. Minecraft fans like Steve, and there's a lot of Minecraft fans, but how many of those overlap with the Smash userbase? And how can Steve be presented in a way to get people who have never touched Minecraft excited?

You can talk about the game's popularity and success until the cows come home, but we play as characters, not corporate stand-ins. While it's naive to think a game like Smash isn't littered with corporate mascots that help push software, Steve would feel the most transparent of these by far.

"Deserves" or not, as a complete outsider to Minecraft, nothing about Steve excites me. If he gets in, and I think he might, the world won't end, it'll just be another character out of 70+ that I don't care for. Spilled milk in the big scheme of things.
Easily, based on the fact that it's ****ing Minecraft. You know, that one game that's a cultural icon, and is the second best selling video game of all time, only behind Tetris. I assure you there is plenty of overlap with the Smash Bros. userbase, and if Sakurai can sell a ****ing plant to us, he can definitely sell Steve.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
marth is a patchwork version of link because some of his attacks are kinda sorta like some of link's attacks

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As a character patched together with the parts of others and offered up free, Piranha Plant being treated with less esteem than the CG-worthy characters across the board indicates more or less that it would be unwise to lean on it as precedent.

Characters being now complete and decided now aren't inherently synonymous. One gives a specific timeframe of the decision, the other simply informs that it has been made.
Yeah but "is now complete" implies that it happened at least somewhat recently.
If characters really are releasing throughout the 2019 year, it'd be extremely difficult to produce a CG trailer for the first character in time.

Also, Piranha Plant's defintely not a patchwork character. Its animations had to have been built from the ground up, even if some resemble pre-existing moves. If it was any easier to develop PP, it'd most likely because it's a simplistic cartoon plant that can squash and stretch as needed, without adherence to anatomy.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Easily, based on the fact that it's ****ing Minecraft. You know, that one game that's a cultural icon, and is the second best selling video game of all time, only behind Tetris.
Obviously. So what about the people who don't play Minecraft? By your example, a Tetris block would be the next best choice.

Heck, there are a lot of people who play Minecraft that don't give two craps about Steve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since there's a dedicated mode for movies in the Collection section, I'm betting they actually took the time and did a few cutscenes here and there. Not as much to the lengths of Subspace Emissary with how simply abundant they are, but a very good amount that'll sate everyone.

It would explain why characters like Chrom, Daisy and Dark Samus had just regular gameplay and Ken + Incineroar / Simon + Richter in one trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom