• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I stopped being upset about Steve in Smash the moment I realized I didn't have to buy him.

Let the kids have their weird ugly lego man. It's not like he's unqualified.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I respectfully disagree. You and I both know how popular Demi-Fiend is for example. He's not just a Dark Horse either. Seriously, go to any Vs. Battle thread and any time someone brings up Kirby, Shulk, Asura, VOID Shiki, etc. as "Most Overpowered Characters ever", more often than not, Demi-Fiend is thrown in those discussions... and wins. He's like the Chuck Norris of SMT protagonists if the statements weren't hyperbole.

At the very least, I think a Shin Megami Tensei rep is certainly viable for Smash. They've got the world-building, characters, setting, and lore to fit right in.
Yeah, it feels like there's at least a few SMT fans on pretty much every community, but they're extremely spread thin throughout the internet. It's a totally different feeling compared to when you can go to a specific area where the fans of the subject all conglomerate in that one specific spot, like say Geno or Isaac fans.

And man, it'd be sooooo easy to make a trailer for Demi-fiend.
I mean, come on, the area where you fight fiends is literally "non-descript canyon area" where everyone in Smash 4 got revealed.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Why is everyone talking about this guy being in Smash? It would never work
"♪ We just got a letter, we just got a letter, we just got a letter, wonder who it's from!♪"
Opens letter
"What, they want me in Smash!?"

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If Steve gets in, he’ll get the most people talking out of any character so far. There’ll be more memes than there were with the Piranha Plant. This will definitely help with sales.
On one hand, Steve providing revenue means more DLC. On the other hand, Sakurai can still say "No more DLC" at the end of it all, and Nintendo won't say otherwise. They could, since they have authority, but their track record with DLC has usually been "Just one expansion pack is enough. Until the next game, see ya!"

If it's the latter, we're stuck with Steve, and no one benefits from it.

Yeah, it feels like there's at least a few SMT fans on pretty much every community, but they're extremely spread thin throughout the internet. It's a totally different feeling compared to when you can go to a specific area where the fans of the subject all conglomerate in that one specific spot, like say Geno or Isaac fans.

And man, it'd be sooooo easy to make a trailer for Demi-fiend.
I mean, come on, the area where you fight fiends is literally "non-descript canyon area" where everyone in Smash 4 got revealed.
Pfft, forget Non-Specific Action Figure! Non-Specific Canyon Area is where it's at!

Jokes aside, you're right unfortunately. We're part of a small bubble that mostly lurks in one part of the internet, and it's usually the place everyone talks crap about. To be fair though, Geno and Isaac fans are tied to Nintendo one way or another, so the gatherings come with the territory.

I hope Ultimate gives everyone their own unique voice slot. That's what sucked about alternate costumes and genders in Sm4sh. Whenever I wanted to mod a character over someone else, they're stuck with two voice slots if they have two different costumes (i.e. Cloud, Robin, Little Mac, etc.).

KMDP

Smash Legend
"What, they want me in Smash!?"
:ultisabelle: was never meant to be in Smash Bros.

She actually misread the letter, it was a fan letter from a weird furry.

However, when she went to the Smash Dojo, they didn't have the heart to turn her away.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
:ultisabelle: was never meant to be in Smash Bros.

She actually misread the letter, it was a fan letter from a weird furry.

However, when she went to the Smash Dojo, they didn't have the heart to turn her away.
It was actually a letter asking her to join the My Hero Academia fanclub.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Dante in Nocturne will never be not hilarious. Though, he's one of my favourite party members in that game, along with Pixie.
I hate Pixies in that game. lol. I got wiped after several hours of grinding due to a team of them that managed to confuse my Demi Fiend who proceeded to punch out all my allies until the Pixies put him to sleep and slowly killed him.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
...still doesn't help any arguments for why he isn't a bad choice for dlc
Alright here's your argument for why Steve isn't a bad choice for DLC.

1) Minecraft is one of the most iconic games ever created. Releasing in 2009 and growing stronger and stronger each year.
2) It's a worldwide phenomenon. It was even the best-seller on the Switch in Japan the first half of this year.
3) He promotes a genre not yet properly represented in Smash, the survival/builder genre.
4) Potential for an extremely inventive, fun, and unique moveset.
5) Nintendo and Microsoft have great relations right now, thus negotiating this wouldn't be difficult at all.
6) Not only that, but his inclusion would only strengthen relations between the two companies, and rake in a lot of money AND attention.

There's others I'm sure, but these are some of the important ones I could think of. There's absolutely no reason he'd be a bad choice.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hate Pixies in that game. lol. I got wiped after several hours of grinding due to a team of them that managed to confuse my Demi Fiend who proceeded to punch out all my allies until the Pixies put him to sleep and slowly killed him.
I was actually talking about the first Pixie you met in the game that joins you without even asking your idea, I like her.

Iridium

Smash Hero
At this point, my preferred 5 DLC choices would be Ryu Hayabusa, Terry Bogard, Sylux, Kyo Kusanagi and Leif, I guess.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Since Nintendo is choosing who gets in, I'm expecting Bandana Waddle Dee, Elma*, Edelgard, a Square rep, and Steve/Banjo.

*I could see a Namco rep (Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS), Rayman or Tails getting in as well, so I would expect Nintendo to drop Elma (even though she's my top wanted) for another 3rd party.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
If we get Dixie and Banjo, it would be fine for me if the other 3 dlc characters all are from minecraft :denzel:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The thing its that the protag can play outside the robot too, it was the typical "Too Big" joke i think

Its FS could be the Mech itself, now that i think about it...
Ah, didn't catch it oops.
I'm just gonna leave this here...

Is there a rule for characters who are too intoxicatingly cute to get into Smash? :yoshi:
There's is no character too cute for Smash in fact that's one of the most appealing aspects of Smash to see so many sweet little cuties beat up each other.

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman

Is there a rule for characters who are too intoxicatingly cute to get into Smash? :yoshi:
Well, we DO have Kirb, Isabelle, Pikachu, Jiggs, Yoshi...

Another cute character i can´t bring myself to beat up is fine

StormC

Smash Hero
Ok guys, so whats your pipe dream?
Dr. Eggman. If third parties ever dip into unique newcomers from the same series, Eggman would be my horse in that race.

I guess Ganon too, because I really don't see Sakurai ever coming around to that idea on his own.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Sure, I guess. We can't even say Sakurai couldn't come up with a clear moveset at this point, and he's a good pick for Yoshi rep.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Alright here's your argument for why Steve isn't a bad choice for DLC.

1) Minecraft is one of the most iconic games ever created. Releasing in 2009 and growing stronger and stronger each year.
2) It's a worldwide phenomenon. It was even the best-seller on the Switch in Japan the first half of this year.
3) He promotes a genre not yet properly represented in Smash, the survival/builder genre.
4) Potential for an extremely inventive, fun, and unique moveset.
5) Nintendo and Microsoft have great relations right now, thus negotiating this wouldn't be difficult at all.
6) Not only that, but his inclusion would only strengthen relations between the two companies, and rake in a lot of money AND attention.

There's others I'm sure, but these are some of the important ones I could think of. There's absolutely no reason he'd be a bad choice.
Here's another couple of points in his favor:
7) He has the potential to stir interest in more DLC, opening the gates for other characters as well as bringing relevancy to the Indie name
8) In some crazy pipe dream miracle, Microsoft's relationship to Nintendo grows so much, it evolves into a Friendly Rivalry where the future of Smash leads to its sequel being supported on the next Xbox console with cross-play properties

One heavily-despised character = potentially more DLC. Honestly, it's not a bad trade at all.

Ok guys, so whats your pipe dream?
KOS-MOS. She's in this limbo where she's just iconic enough to fit the bill, but has to compete against Heihachi and Lloyd to get in the roster, who are safer choices overall. The name of that limbo is, "Missed Opportunity: The Characters"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom