• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
If Byleth(Seemingly generic sword using protagonist of FE: Three Houses) gets in over Edelgard who would be the first Axe user of the series I would be livid

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm sure there are many Cloud detractors circa 2014 who would agree with you.
I'm sure there are, and I'm sure I'm gonna get blown the **** out come the game awards. Not gonna say I'm right. I'm just trying to show my side of the discussion.

Yeah but Final Fantasy is still a monolithic franchise that Cloud's attached to.
A franchise which regularly takes him out of the grave to be marketed with over and over again.

Like Cloud's Dissidia trailer was the day after his Smash 4 trailer, with Dissidia NT releasing 2 weeks later.
Just one more year later we had the release of FFXV as well.
Not to mention the fact that FF7:Remake even exists is a constant reminder with Cloud's inclusion in Smash.
See above.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
But would it bring in Nintendo more money in the long-term than a DQ rep or Geno?
It'd bring in Squenix exclusively more money, as no KH games are coming to Nintendo consoles as far as we know.

Sony gamers are not going to buy a Switch and Smash so they can play as Sora if they can already play as him in KH.
DQ rep? Debatable. Geno? Absolutely. That shouldn't even be a question.

Also Kingdom Hearts will undoubtedly hit the Switch at some point anyways

NineS

Smash Lord
"Will Nintendo and Square Enix shed their business sensibilities and include Geno out of sheer love for the fans?" Will Nintendo defeat Square's Copyright Elite and gain access to Dragon Quest? Or will they commit apparent promotional suicide to add Sora?"

"Will Spawn hit Super Streak 11? Or will Pandy prove to be far more 'leaky' than any of the Z Insiders thought possible?!"

"Find out, on the next, exciting episode of "This Goddamned Squeenix Character!""
If only Vergeben wasn't taking so god damn long to charge up his Spirit-leak bomb. He only said 5 minutes! It's already been over five episodes!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
forgive me for asking but
where'd you get fire emblem from?
they didn't mention fire emblem at all. just sora, geno and DQ

I agree on a lot of things you say, but while Geno would exclusively make Nintendo money...

He'd also make them less money. Hardcore Smash and Mario RPG fans aside, people don't really have a lot of incentive to buy him unless they know about him. I agree Sora would likely end up making Sony money, but he'd also make Nintendo more money as a DLC character simply because of how more recognizable he is to the common public. This isn't like Smash 4 where most of the fans were really into it, this is Ultimate on the switch, likely going to appeal to a broader audience.

DQ honestly is the safest bet to make taking that into account, but at this point who the Squenix rep doesn't really matter to me. I'd prefer 2B or Slime, but I'll be happy regardless.
I mentioned that to prove a point on how Sora would make lots of money and because I needed a third option.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I guess you're probably already on the way of winning that bet (according to Sakurai's latest tweet). It'll be Nintendo's call, that means purely business. Yeah, doesn't look so good for Geno fans, oh boy. Boy your Square is a hard negotiator. And that would be as I said for MS, Banjo was called form Nintendo to N64 classic for Steve in Smash.

Oh don't get me wrong, the game looks so nice, It's just that I'm not the strategy player type, that's all. I feel ya for that small fanbase, you're looking at one X)

Well then I hope you get your wish soon and fulfill your dream. Yeah, it'd be lovely to step away from all of this for some peace and quite.. ahh, what a lovely thought X)
I just saw that tweet, pretty interesting stuff. Really interesting that Nintendo is taking over the DLC selection. Unfortunately since Sakurai's interest was one of the main arguments for Geno. That does not look good on Geno since Nintendo has shown almost equal interest in Geno as Square has, which is very little. Yeah Square can be really strict which is why I would often use this point in determining which rep they would choose. I just hope for three things from Square at this point. 1) They put the One Winged Angel song in the Midgar Stage. 2) They add Octopath Traveler music in Smash 3) They add Sora or a Dragon Quest character as 2nd rep, both who would work great in cross promotion.

Also I agree Banjo's chances look very slim compared to Steve's. Unless! There is a secret new Banjo Kazooie game being made between Nintendo and Microsoft. If this is the case, Banjo's chances skyrocket way past Steve's. However given Vergeben's info on the Minecraft content, its most likely

Its really fun, but I wont lie Advance Wars Days of Ruin has some ridiculously hard stages. I remember I kept dying from Waylon a guy that had a ton of helicopters it was super frustrating ha. Its a game where you have to think steps ahead, and that can be frustrating lol. Ah true we fellow small fanbases have to stick together, maybe by doing that our characters have a shot :).

I really hope so I could use a break from all this biomechanics, all the physics involved is frustrating ha. Agree, sometimes I just want to sit under a tree in a quiet place. I feel like parts of Japan would be perfect for that, just a nice place to unwind.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
now that we know Nintendo did the process, I see the chance for Geno decreasing...I feel Ninty themselves want characters with a broader appeal and mass recognition to be DLC.

Characters I do find likely are

- another Square Enix rep, like maybe a Dragon Quest character (having both DQ and FF represented in Smash would be awesome)

- Minecraft looks very likely. We know that Smash doesn't shy away from Indies. Shantae as a Spirit and Shovel Knight as an AT. The only Indie Character who could top them to earn playable status would be Steve

- Banjo. If we are having negotiations with MS in the first place, then why not?

the last two I really hope I get wrong, but seeing as the company as a whole is planning the selection, I feel like we are getting, again, a new Pokemon (gen 8) and the Three Houses FE Protagonist.
I'd love for this to not turn out true, but hey; maybe that's the reason the Fighter's Pass was introduced the first place. To bundle 3 really hype character picks with the promo-goodies

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm sure there are, and I'm sure I'm gonna get blown the **** out come the game awards. Not gonna say I'm right. I'm just trying to show my side of the discussion.
The point is there's nothing in that argument Cloud's inclusion over Geno doesn't invalidate.

Not to mention it just doesn't make sense. Nintendo will profit more off characters that sell better. More well-known characters will probably sell better. It doesn't matter if Geno's game is a Nintendo exclusive, it's over twenty years old. The profits these days are limited to the VC on old systems, which is probably not even an afterthought in the decision making.

Frankly, Nintendo stands more to profit from Sora in that context, given chances are greater that some port of some KH games touches down on the Switch before Geno is ever actually used in a Mario RPG again.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Seeing a lot of the Smash fanbase start shouting doom and gloom about how the DLC is all gonna be promotional characters without any sort of solid base in reality is kinda depressing. The Grinch leak's fall made a lot of Smash fans a hell of a lot more pessimistic, it seems.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel like it’s only a matter of time until the DLC list is shown or shared with Verg and he leaks it.

Enjoy that time. Until then, shudder in terror that your future main could get screwed!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like it’s only a matter of time time until the DLC list is shown or shared with Verg and he leaks it.

Enjoy that time. Until then, shudder in terror that your future main could get screwed!
My future mains good, thanks.
We Ike boys finally got the buff we DESERVE.

It's time to show all these pansy stick teens what REAL MUSCLE can do.
alphonse vs ike.png

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
My future mains good, thanks.
We Ike boys finally got the buff we DESERVE.

It's time to show all these pansy stick teens what REAL MUSCLE can do.
View attachment 176390
Not to be that guy but has Little mac not taught you anything?

speed and stamina matters more than brute strength and size in boxing matches. strategizing helps too.

and side b-ing off the stage is not recommended.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I would hope that there’ll be more DLC coming, even if we do get a lot of cool characters. Sm4sh had 7 characters, so if we only get 5+:ultpiranha:...I’d hope more are inbound.

Also, it seems that Ninty picked a bunch and gave Sakurai veto power - not the same as Sakurai picking them himself. I feel that the chances for some characters are now flipped over - could be fun to discuss this.

Still would like to see more. Especially if they could just toss in some other echoes too (Tails plz. Sakurai could make it work)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Also, if they're looking at Choose Your Legends, why not un-AT the winner of the first one, Lyn, instead of adding someone from the second one where she likely would've won again if she wasn't banned?
I could see that happening. At least, I'd be glad if it does happen. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems should know by now how popular Lyn is, so if she is DLC, I wouldn't be too surprised that Nintendo chose her considering how many versions of her there are.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Was he not referring to Smash Bros. when he said "the series"?
You know what, that would make sense.
He referred to FE:3H last, so I assumed that was the series he was talking about.
Why are they boxing again? leave Chrom alone, he just got his chance
Long story short, that's not Chrom. It's Alphonse from FEH.
It's fanart of Fire Emblem Heroes's popularity contest in which Alphonse and Ike were thought to be the finalists and that Ike would steamroll Alphonse.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask) Ike never even made it to that point and Alphonse takes it.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai: "There is a possibility that not every DLC newcomer will be from pre-Brawl speculation, so please sto-"

Smash fanbase:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
The point is there's nothing in that argument Cloud's inclusion over Geno doesn't invalidate.

Not to mention it just doesn't make sense. Nintendo will profit more off characters that sell better. More well-known characters will probably sell better. It doesn't matter if Geno's game is a Nintendo exclusive, it's over twenty years old. The profits these days are limited to the VC on old systems, which is probably not even an afterthought in the decision making.

Frankly, Nintendo stands more to profit from Sora in that context, given chances are greater that some port of some KH games touches down on the Switch before Geno is ever actually used in a Mario RPG again.
Agree, Nintendo would gain very little from adding Geno. If they added Sora for example, they would be opening the doors for the past KH games to come to the Nintendo Switch. We've already seen this happen, all of a sudden these FF titles are coming to the Nintendo Switch. It could be a very similar scenario with Kingdom Hearts. If this were to happen then both Nintendo and Square would have a lot to profit from. Also Nomura has already stated that he is interested in bringing KH3 to the Nintendo Switch. Even if its a visual downgrade, it will still sell a lot. Even more so if Sora is in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
If it's Nintendo that chose DLC I think it's dead for our boi Geno... It's Sad, he was so close. This game can't be called Ultimate if Geno isn't in.

Or perhaps dlc season two ?

Last edited:

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Can someone give me an idea of what might differentiate Erdrick from other swordfighters? I'm just so much more interested in Slime and Jade because I'm hoping for some moveset diversity.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If it's Nintendo that chose DLC I think it's dead for our boi Geno... It's Sad, he was so close. This game can't be called Ultimate if Geno isn't in.
Too bad, it's already called exactly that.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Can someone give me an idea of what might differentiate Erdrick from other swordfighters? I'm just so much more interested in Slime and Jade because I'm hoping for some moveset diversity.
Erdrick is Closer to Robin than he is to Marth. Erdrick is a Mage Knight rather than a swordfighter.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Super Saiyan Rose

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Sora is looking unlikely now. I don't see why Nintendo would choose him. DQ rep here we go.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Also consider that DLC may help sell base.

I know I had very little interest in Mario Kart because I suck at racing games. Then I found out Link was going to be DLC. Cue me buying it and learning how to play so I could have Link in MK8.

Now there’s a lot in vanilla Smash Ultimate. But if people are still on the fence...and they’re a huge fan of a DLC character...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Seeing a lot of the Smash fanbase start shouting doom and gloom about how the DLC is all gonna be promotional characters without any sort of solid base in reality is kinda depressing. The Grinch leak's fall made a lot of Smash fans a hell of a lot more pessimistic, it seems.
The only person shouting doom and gloom is you.

The way I see it the fanbase is being pragmatic; it's best to get your hopes down now instead of keeping them up. If anything this shows that the fanbase has learned from the fall of the Grinch "leak" and is able to temper their expectations in response to known information.

Nintendo made all of the decisions and of course they're going to go with promotional characters because it makes the most sense business-wise. Can promotional characters be popular? Certainly, but, as stated in Machiavelli's The Prince tehponycorn's The Downloadable Character:
It is better to be promotional than recognizable, if you cannot be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom