• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
For the character you want in, you also have to make an echo fighter out of it:
Marina Liteyears - Calina
Phoenix Wright - Miles Edgeworth
Travis Touchdown - Kimmy Howell OR Bad Man
2B - A2

As much as I'd love Shinobu or Henry in they'd need to be original or at least semi-clones, so...

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hey guys im back.

Its bad if i talk about Agumon and Digimon in Smash here today?

If you guys don't like it , i will not

blackghost

Smash Champion
Vergil is the Bayonetta of MvC 3.
vergil is better in marvel 3 than bayo has ever been in smash 4. dont even think that it is close. people called vergil the devil. he could walk through projectiles, he had range, damage, and speed, he had an auto crossup.
all best characters are not created equal.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey guys im back.

Its bad if i talk about Agumon and Digimon in Smash here today?

If you guys don't like it , i will not
I think a better option, going forward, is letting it get raised organically versus injecting it into conversation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae - Holly Lingerbean
Rayman - Dark Rayman (sorry, it's the only viable option)
Crash Bandicoot - Coco Bandicoot

Here's Kirby with the Incineroar hat.
Kinda disappointed he didn't remold his skin into sideburns, but it works.

On a Kirby hat note, it's almost certain the PP one will be the second time a hat is eating him.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I can see PP Kirby being Kirby with a PP on his head.

That's sounds weird. I take that back.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Now that Chrom's in, does that increase or decrease her chances? Roy needs to be reunited with his mum.
I thought Ninian was Roy’s mother?
her chances are at 0 percent shes an assist trophy. every assist trophy isnt getting in.
I mean, Chrom is a Mii Costume and in a Final Smash. And the whole AT means a character is deconfirmed as DLC is just a fan rule based on one game. You never know with Sakurai.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought Ninian was Roy’s mother?

I mean, Chrom is a Mii Costume and in a Final Smash. And the whole AT means a character is deconfirmed as DLC is just a fan rule based on one game. You never know with Sakurai.
her chances are at 0 percent shes an assist trophy. every assist trophy isnt getting in.
Meant to say Smash 6 onwards. Not that she'll get a chance anyway, since IS loves it when Sakurai picks characters from recent titles...:(

Also, in Blazing Blade, you get to pick who will be Elliwood's wife, so it's a Schrodinger's Mother case.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
vergil is better in marvel 3 than bayo has ever been in smash 4. dont even think that it is close. people called vergil the devil. he could walk through projectiles, he had range, damage, and speed, he had an auto crossup.
all best characters are not created equal.
God Vergil was a headache to fight against in UMVC3, if he has enough energy bars filled and does that spinning sword special "you're going down".

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Keywords: variety, unique move-set, unique play style. Is what I look for. So do you agree that most of Fire Emblem "chars" were a mistake? I honestly do.
As someone who does enjoy playing most, if not all, of the Fire Emblem characters, I can understand where one would be coming from when they say they don’t like the fact that many of them play similarly.

However, one thing I will say is that there’s a certain “touch” to each of them that, while they’re similar, they do play differently.

For example, if I play Marth, I have to space accordingly compared to Lucina, which means that I can’t play the exact same way. With Roy, despite his moveset being derivative of Marth, he’s completely different in play style, meaning, again, if I am trying to win as him, I cannot play him as I might play Marth.

The thing with those characters and the way they’re added to Smash is different from, say, a unique addition. Lucina was added as a last minute clone. Roy was added that way. Chrom is now the latest one. Chrom and Lucina, despite being Echo Fighters, are also characters that were popular picks from the fanbase, so to me you can’t entirely go wrong with picking characters that people want, especially when the base moveset (Marth) is so well done that it’s simply fun to play.

Echo fighters, in my humble opinion, aren’t really on the same plane in terms of requirements, as they are effectively “bonus drops” that would have never made it as unique fighters on their first appearance as playable in Smash. It’s less effort for characters that please a lot of people, there’s very little downside with that.

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
Meant to say Smash 6 onwards. Not that she'll get a chance anyway, since IS loves it when Sakurai picks characters from recent titles...:(

Also, in Blazing Blade, you get to pick who will be Elliwood's wife, so it's a Schrodinger's Mother case.
I’m pretty sure Eliwood flat out says he loves Ninian in the end of Blazing Blade(maybe not, it’s been a while)and I think the game wants Lyn and Hector to be canon

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
As someone who does enjoy playing most, if not all, of the Fire Emblem characters, I can understand where one would be coming from when they say they don’t like the fact that many of them play similarly.

However, one thing I will say is that there’s a certain “touch” to each of them that, while they’re similar, they do play differently.

For example, if I play Marth, I have to space accordingly compared to Lucina, which means that I can’t play the exact same way. With Roy, despite his moveset being derivative of Marth, he’s completely different in play style, meaning, again, if I am trying to win as him, I cannot play him as I might play Marth.

The thing with those characters and the way they’re added to Smash is different from, say, a unique addition. Lucina was added as a last minute clone. Roy was added that way. Chrom is now the latest one. Chrom and Lucina, despite being Echo Fighters, are also characters that were popular picks from the fanbase, so to me you can’t entirely go wrong with picking characters that people want, especially when the base moveset (Marth) is so well done that it’s simply fun to play.

Echo fighters, in my humble opinion, aren’t really on the same plane in terms of requirements, as they are effectively “bonus drops” that would have never made it as unique fighters on their first appearance as playable in Smash. It’s less effort for characters that please a lot of people, there’s very little downside with that.
Yeah; they're pretty much bonuses; the fact Robin still has the Chrom Final Smash; suggest he would be the latest character added to the game xD (the reason Ken was revealed after it was most likely because of the cinematic)

Wait... We're talking about FE in Smash now...

UNSHAMEFUL PLUG FOR MICAIAH4SMASH :happysheep:

(IwilldomybesttomakeMicaiahmorepopular)

Last edited:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Do you guys think all the FE characters will get character banter during their victory scenes now that they all have been recasted/rerecorded? Lucina and Robin had them in Smash 4, but Ike and Marth couldn't because they just reused their Brawl clips.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m pretty sure Eliwood flat out says he loves Ninian in the end of Blazing Blade(maybe not, it’s been a while)and I think the game wants Lyn and Hecotor to be canon
That depends on the A supports the characters have maxed with each other.

Yeah; they're pretty much bonuses; the fact Robin still has the Chrom Final Smash; suggest he would be the latest character added to the game xD (the reason Ken was revealed after it was most likely because of the cinematic)

Wait... We're talking about FE in Smash now...

UNSHAMEFUL PLUG FOR MICAIAH4SMASH :happysheep:

(IwilldomybesttomakeMicaiahmorepopular)
I find it almost funny that Black Knight was removed from the background of a stage...only to be turned into an AT.

I respect your enthusiasm though, I used to vouch for Micaiah.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
People make it all about repping things, when really this is a video game that needs to play well, and provide a variety of experiences for any one player to enjoy. If it was about representing, and ONLY representing different series, Smash wouldn’t be what it is, plain and simple.

Characters, and the representation of game series and character is absolutely important to Smash. The game is based on using our favorite characters against each other in familiar atmospheres and listening to familiar tunes while doing it. This often gives us a feeling that certain things are added to represent something from the series.

The problem with representing series, ONLY THROUGH CHARACTERS, like Smash character speculation always does, is that it dumbs down characters to only being picked for one reason. Every other reason, like roster diversity in design, ability, and archetype, is that it basically lumps it into, “TRhe Pokémon cast represents Pokémon.” In reality, Pikachu himself doesn’t not represent Mewtwo. Mewtwo represent Mewtwo. Characters are not adding to be a “rep”. They are added because the design team decides, “Hey, a character who does this would be cool”, and they decide on a character.

There’s also added relevance at the time of addition, or popularity, but arguably I would argue the most important factors are what the characters can do and, well, who they are. Just like any single person, it’s not like every character fits any single mold. Everyone is different.

For example, Piranha Plant definitely get in by the standard of, “Series staple, is popular, is a must-add for the Super Mario series”. Piranha Plant very likely was added because it was an oddball addition like Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer (oddball as in completely unexpected) but I also provided attributes that allowed it to not only have a unique move-set, but also a unique play style. That’s an important distinction to make.

Basically, I wish the word “rep” would die in a fire. Sure, it’s just a word. But that word just dumbs down what makes some character suggestions/ideas/additions so great. Everyone was just concerned about who would get in for various series, and ignored what certain characters could do. Incineroar, for example, doesn’t even seem like a Pokémon. He’s almost entirely wrestler based, which allows him to show personality and that Heel Wrestler design that is exclusive to Incineroar.

Sure, characters come from series. But characters should be looked at as individuals, rather than just bits of a larger whole.
Hey, just look at my list of supported characters. My primary reason for supporting virtually all of them is their gameplay potential.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'd legit get hyped for a Fire Emblem fighting game.

Long as it didn't pull a Warriors and make the roster suck.
What engine would you prefer? Soulcalibur engine feels pretty obvious, but...I mean...that'd be really cool.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, may be old news, but Best Buy’s around the world are getting Smash demos! Honestly, I played it during the Best Buy Demo in Atlanta, so I can’t wait to play it again!

ShadowGamer193

Smash Journeyman
IIRC isn't :ultroy: different from :ultmarth: slightly?
If you’re talking about Roy and Marth, Roy has a Sweet Spot closer to the hilt instead of the tip. But for Roy and Chrom, Chrom is basically Roy’s Lucina. No sweet spot on the blade

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
IIRC isn't :ultroy: different from :ultmarth: slightly?
Roy differs a lot now.

Him and Marth are kinda like Isabelle/Villager in that he retains a few of Marth's moves and plays somewhat similarly, but for the most part his moveset is very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom