• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Every fanbase will want another character even if they already have a lot...
Even with 6 characters, people still (reasonably) want more Zelda characters
Missing great chances to open doors of new franchises.
Worries about change I suppose.

D

Deleted member

Yeah this makes the most sense to me.
The biggest questions are if they gave him that greenlight or "haha no". He definitely talked to them about Geno at some point as evidenced by the Spirit.
In retrospect him not being in base isn't too much of a shocker; Squenix LOVES making ANY of their characters DLC, so I don't see why Geno would be different.
Take in mind that Geno is a party member from a RPG game in the Mario franchise.

In fact, he is the only one with a Mii costume.

That is something good, more so for a third party character.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What if they put the dude from Golf in Smash and his golf club was a sword
WE NOW SNIPING ON THE EDGE WITH TIMED GOLF BALLS BOISSSSSSS!

(Seriously though, that golf ball trick would make some sick edge guarding plays)

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
True, but I can't stand to see friends lose all hope. Pessimism is one thing, but you gotta hold onto your hopes. That's all you have in the darkest moments.

I know this is all about a video game, but I apply this philosophy in all aspects of my life.

Is it over dramatic? Yes. But what can I say? I'm an over dramatic guy.
It's like everyone forgot the phrase, "High hopes, low expectations."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What if they put the dude from Golf in Smash and his golf club was a sword
>suggesting a golfer character
>that isn't Plum from Mario Golf

Bubsy...Bubsy has other concerns. Man, he used to be good...

It would take a lot for him to start wowing people to crazy extents.
Not only that, Sir Dan Fortesque is gonna give him even more trouble.

D

Deleted member

>suggesting a golfer character
>that isn't Plum from Mario Golf

Not only that, Sir Dan Fortesque is gonna give him even more trouble.
Oh boy, Medievil.
I supported his fans for a long time, and the remake looks wonderful.
Excited to try it at last too.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
When you all at least try to understand what I said then I'll consider replying.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Let's make up quotes of commetators getting surprised/hype of plays from both Newcomers and our dream newcomers:

Ready.... GO!

"YOOOOOOOOOOO DID THAT DUDE JUST LAUNCH HIS HORSE OFF THE STAGE, AND IT KILLED?! WHAT THE ****?!" -Troubadour

"THAT RANGE.... THAT RANGE!!!" -Simon

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Does anyone know if like there's a separate mode where you can just do Spirit Battles endlessly? Or is it all tied to World of Light? I loved Event Mode in Melee and Spirits seem like a cooler version of that.

When you all at least try to understand what I said then I'll consider replying.
tweet-jaden-smith-official-jaden-when-i-die-then-you-3353859~01.png

Iridium

Smash Hero

Here's actual video footage of :ultkrool:'s stomach breaking. As you can see, it seems to resemble a shield break, in which he is stunned for a while, but the cracks do obviously go away, quicker than I expected, too. Not sure how to feel about this, but it seems pretty fair.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand GoeGoe. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Goe's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike GoeGoe truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Goe's existential catchphrase "Ike is a Marth clone," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as GoeGoe's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Fairly fake-looking 4chan '''leak''' just sprung up that definitely didn't catch my eye only because it has a character I kind of really want. Anyone better at googling than I am able to find the original model?

Looks fake, but I want.

I don't think you've touched any of those either. And don't worry, I'm not looking for your permission.
fwiw, I main both Ike and Marth in Smash 4. They're not even on the same level when it comes to similarities.

D

Deleted member

Let's make up quotes of commetators getting surprised/hype of plays from both Newcomers and our dream newcomers:

Ready.... GO!

"YOOOOOOOOOOO DID THAT DUDE JUST LAUNCH HIS HORSE OFF THE STAGE, AND IT KILLED?! WHAT THE ****?!" -Troubadour

“The wonder from down under took Samus’s rocket back to her pocket my friends! That was TO-TA-LLY intense!”

“Friends, Spyro has burned on fire the sheep on freaking Corrin’s hair! He should thank the boy from releasing him!”

D

Deleted member

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand GoeGoe. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Goe's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike GoeGoe truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Goe's existential catchphrase "Ike is a Marth clone," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as GoeGoe's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them.
to be fair goegoe watches johnny test so he has 999999 iq

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

Here's actual video footage of :ultkrool:'s stomach breaking. As you can see, it seems to resemble a shield break, in which he is stunned for a while, but the cracks do obviously go away, quicker than I expected, too. Not sure how to feel about this, but it seems pretty fair.
Dang, I wonder if that's going to be very detrimental to K.Rool competitively. I guess that should encourage players to be more aware of how they play as him if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Ready.... GO!

"Grappled! Grappled right from midair and TOSSED! It's over!" - Marina Liteyears

"STYLED on him! The disrespect!!!" - Sophie (Style Savvy)

This is fun.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You know, still baffled I haven't gotten into an argument about why or why not 2B could be in Smash, even before we found out when DLC would be decided.
Just about the only thing going against her inclusion is that she has yet to dip her toes in the Nintendocean like Cloud has, but other than that, she's incredibly popular and appealing, so people wouldn't mind see her break the trend. Besides, with recent talks of Katalina – who's in a similar situation, but very much The Scrappy at this point for her gacha origins – 2B seems vastly more preferable to have in Smash. Hell, she's in my Most-Wanted list of characters too! It helps that Yoko Taro has gone on record stating that he would love to have NieR: Automata ported to the Switch, which would then solidify 2B's place, but that's besides all the other flags that are in her favor.

How? Mage isn't really a fighting game archetype. Three Miis we have are, though: Close, medium, long range combat.
I will answer your question with another question: How is it not a fighting game archetype? There's Zelda, Robin, Dr. Strange, Nine the Phantom, Tessa, Kan-Ra, etc. They can definitely work. As for why they're a popular request, it's simple: Refer to the lineup of Mii Fighter archetypes, then try to round them up in a 4-player or 8-player setting. No matter what you try to do, one archetype is always going to have a dominant presence in the selection. In other words, it feels incomplete.

With a Mage Fighter, you can even things out in 4-player matches by selecting one of each, filling all slots. For 8-player, you can do a 2v2v2v2 setup with no single archetype greatly overshadowing the others (or being underrepresented in the selection step), and you can definitely work out the ranges of each one. The Mage would be somewhere in between the Swordfighter and the Gunner in terms of range. Speaking of which, the Swordfighter's range is just paltry in general and barely any different from the Brawler, so the range argument is kinda moot.

But why stop there, right? Just some ideas for a Mage Fighter's lineup of costumes:
-Robin (duhh)
-Zelda (double duhh)
-Yuga
-Vaati
-Viridi
-Ashley
-Melia
-Sypha
-Black Mage
-Estelle

The list goes on.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Ready.... GO!

Sure I'll try it out.
"PEOPLE DIE IF THEY ARE KILLED YA B***H" -Saber
"GET CHAOS CONTROLLED SON" *followed by entire crowd shouting "OW THE EDGE"* -Shadow
"HERE COMES THE SHIELD BREAK, AND HERE COMES THE MASK, AND HERE COMES THE FORWARD SMASH BABY!"-Lucina
"D1 do you remember when we joked about Ridley winning EVO? Because Ridley just won EVO." -Ridley

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I hate how Smash speculation is treated like a competition that needs to be won, and that people have to put down other characters in order to prop up their own. Even in cases where you could make the argument that it's just one or the other (Incineroar and Decidueye), treating it like one just serves to turn the smash fanbase against itself.
I agree with all of this.
I’m just in it for the fun.

D

Deleted member

Booster should be a Wario echo. He could keep the neutral b, but maybe have him pull out a mechanical chopper instead. For his side b he uses the train instead of the bike, for his down b he could use a bomb instead, and his up b could be the same.
Final smash could either be him using the train or throwing out a bunch of bombs. Oh and I’d you want be a bit more lenient, you could make his forwards smash the punch he uses in his boss fight.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Ready.... GO!

"He went out on a limb, yet still managed to grasp victory!" - Rayman

"It's not every day you see an apple with an attitude folks, and it sure kept Dr. Mario away." - Bandana Waddle Dee

"A FLOWER! HE LOST TO A FLOWER!!!" - Piranha Plant

D

Deleted member

Do a lot people prefer :ultrichter: over :ultsimon:? Because I've been seeing :ultrichter: getting played a lot more lol.

D

Deleted member

"He went out on a limb, yet still managed to grasp victory!" - Rayman

"It's not every day you see an apple with an attitude folks, and it sure kept Dr. Mario away." - Bandana Waddle Dee

"A FLOWER! HE LOST TO A FLOWER!!!" - Piranha Plant
I forgot the best one for Spyro:

“Looks like someone is having some trouble with the trolley! Eh Jack?”

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Ready.... GO!

"SHE HIT THEM WITH THE X-BUSTER!"
"DAT AIN'T MEGA MAN."
"SHE HIT THEM WITH DA SHINKU-HADOUKEN!"
"DAT AIN'T RYU EITHER."
-KOS-MOS

"OMG, HE'S STYLIN' ON ZERO! MAKE ROOM FOR THE NEW KING OF DISRESPECT, FOLKS!" - Dante

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom