• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I just got the craziest idea:

Geno isn't a doll. Geno is a "visitor from above" who takes over the Doll's form for the duration of SMRPG. Seeing as the entire universe gets obliterated by Galeem (I think that's right), of course he'd be called to action again. And, after most all forms of life were eliminated, what's left to take over or emulate? First thing he sees:

A budding potted plant.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Heard the extras menu was translated to say "Watch Adventure Mode Movies", is that true or is it mistranslated?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Well then seems I'm still at square one. Why then do you push for a 4th when you already got 3?
Because I believe BWD is an icon of modern Kirby and I just like the character's personality and simple design overall. If BWD was released at the same time as MK and given the same attention in the classic games as much as the modern one's, I would've possibly liked BWD more than MK because I would've had extra exposure to the character. Also, why not have a 4th? If other major franchises have benefited with character count throughout Smash 4 and Ultimate, why not have one more for the Kirby series?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Coming from a No More Heroes fan, I think his chances were better when we didn't know about dlc and I was hoping that dlc would be more like overwatch and just kind of endless over the course of years.

Instead, knowing it's a specific 5 character packaged deal, and possibly that's it (I don't want to start an arguement over that but for the time being we should only speculate on what we know about) I find it hard to imagine Travis Touchdown being one of the big 5 dlc characters they are trying to sell. I saw him much more as Suda begging Sakurai and Sakurai throwing him in. But I feel these 5 are going to be big marketable characters and Travis isn't really that....UNLESS they heavily tie him to Strikes Again. Then maybe he has a chance.
Yeah, I don't know if Travis Strikes Again was in development around the DLC plan. I want him in because with him I'll have my plausible Wants List down one more name, but...I just don't see it happening.

Prove me wrong, Nintendo.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I don’t think you’ve ever played Smash or read my post. I SPECIFICALLY SAID that Lucina and Chrom ARE clones.
What does playing Smash has to do with your comment!? So omit any.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Kirby or Marth for example.
How would we distinguish these two characters?

They both have an anime.

And they are both swordsmen.

I see no differences between the two tbh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What does playing Smash has to do with your comment!? So ommit any.
It means you haven't touched Marth, Ike, or Roy and are not qualified to talk about them in any capacity because you clearly know nothing.

:4pacman:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What are the arguements for geno being DLC?
Since the direct I’ve been thinking that hes either too irrelevant/obscure to get on or SE is preventing him from getting in.
There aren't really any other than fan demand *within the core fanbase* and Sakurai bias.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a different note, has anyone seen if :ultisabelle: uses boxing gloves for one of her normal attacks?

Because the CHAD Hector gets in line first.
Good luck, the next FE newcomer is behind Three Houses on the front. :4pacman:

All kidding aside, it's annoying how secondary characters in that series are completely ignored for Smash, but given how big it is, it's not surprising.

Yeah, I don't know if Travis Strikes Again was in development around the DLC plan. I want him in because with him I'll have my plausible Wants List down one more name, but...I just don't see it happening.

Prove me wrong, Nintendo.
Also, you just know he wouldn't resist the chance to wrestle with a certain someone. :ultincineroar:

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Y'know, it's kind of silly that some Smash fans argue in discussions regarding Smash in general, that Obscure characters shouldn't be in at all for being a "Literal Whos", despite that most obscure franchises would become more recognized and would probably actually get a great reboot/next game in the series (Remember. Mother/Kid Icarus/Fire Emblem anyone?).

I mean, I can see why you would say that (You secretly want someone else instead), but lying about it won't do much good.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A rando on 4chan claimed it. I think he posted the full clean version of the banner, too.
There was a poster on 4chan that claimed to be the leaker,
yet it's 4chan...
Edit: :ultgreninja:'d by Arigarmy
So, any word on how he plans to dodge the inevitable lawsuits?
I'm gonna sound like one of those out-there Geno fangirls instead of the Educated Fella I try to be, but...

...perhaps the Geno Spirit was in base because they weren't 100% negotiations for him as a playable character would work out, so in case they didn't, they nabbed the rights to use him as a Spirit just in case.
Um... I'm not sure how the rights to use him as a Spirit or online icon would differ from the rights to use him as a playable character.

Geno isn't a doll. Geno is a "visitor from above" who takes over the Doll's form for the duration of SMRPG. Seeing as the entire universe gets obliterated by Galeem (I think that's right), of course he'd be called to action again. And, after most all forms of life were eliminated, what's left to take over or emulate? First thing he sees:

A budding potted plant.
That is a crazy theory, and yet part of me finds it strangely plausible.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

A budding potted plant.
♡♪!? is full of surprises
Why then do you push for a 4th when you already got 3?
Every fanbase will want another character even if they already have a lot...
Even with 6 characters, people still (reasonably) want more Zelda characters

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There aren't really any other than fan demand *within the core fanbase* and Sakurai bias.
TBH it's spread outside the core fanbase at this point. At least from what I see.
Either way that's underselling it a bit. You'd be hard pressed to find literally any other character as requested as Geno has been for a long time. Not trying to start another Geno argument, I just think he has a little bit more for him then that is all.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Because I believe BWD is an icon of modern Kirby and I just like the character's personality and simple design overall. If BWD was released at the same time as MK and given the same attention in the classic games as much as the modern one's, I would've possibly liked BWD more than MK because I would've had extra exposure to the character. Also, why not have a 4th? If other major franchises have benefited with character count throughout Smash 4 and Ultimate, why not have one more for the Kirby series?
I'm not questioning that. Sakurai already opened the pandora box. I hoped for answer more than "just becase we can or want".
Well, sorry to trouble you. It was a pleasure.

D

Deleted member

A budding potted plant.
Make this canon, and this would be the best comeback.

Iridium

Smash Hero
♡♪!? is full of surprises

Every fanbase will want another character even if they already have a lot...
Dampé. Our first shovel-wielding fighter. I can see the future now.

Sorry, Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So, any word on how he plans to dodge the inevitable lawsuits?

Um... I'm not sure how the rights to use him as a Spirit or online icon would differ from the rights to use him as a playable character.

That is a crazy theory, and yet part of me finds it strangely plausible.
"Can we use Geno's render and do literally nothing else with him"
vs
"Can we invest hundreds of hours of labor and coding and modelling and all sorts of coloring for his alt costumes and referencing his game and"

D

Deleted member

As someone who dislikes Bandana Dee, i have to admit that he is the most worthy rep to represent Modern Kirby games in Smash.

He appears in all of them, most of the time even playable.

D

Deleted member

If Crash, Samus Aran, Godzilla and even Spyro could return to glory, then any other franchise is able to do so too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Linkle, the pick that the fanbase doesn't need, but the one that it deserves.

Y'know, it's kind of silly that some Smash fans argue in discussions regarding Smash in general, that Obscure characters shouldn't be in at all for being a "Literal Whos", despite that most obscure franchises would become more recognized and would probably actually get a great reboot/next game in the series (Remember. Mother/Kid Icarus/Fire Emblem anyone?).

I mean, I can see why you would say that (You secretly want someone else instead), but lying about it won't do much good.
Not to mention that some get in anyway, recency be damned. :ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultduckhunt:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
It means you haven't touched Marth, Ike, or Roy and are not qualified to talk about them in any capacity because you clearly know nothing.
I don't think you've touched any of those either. And don't worry, I'm not looking for your permission.

Iridium

Smash Hero
If Crash, Samus Aran, Godzilla and even Spyro could return to glory, then any other franchise is able to do so too.
Bubsy...Bubsy has other concerns. Man, he used to be good...

It would take a lot for him to start wowing people to crazy extents.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I think Sakurai at least tried to get Geno in the game, and cited the Ballot and mii outfit sales when talking to Square. From there I have no clue whether or not they gave Sakurai a green light for DLC or a "haha no".

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I'm not questioning that. Sakurai already opened the pandora box. I hoped for answer more than "just becase we can or want".
Well, sorry to trouble you. It was a pleasure.
???
Don't all character requests just boil down to "I like the character so I want him in"?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think you've touched any of those either. And don't worry, I'm not looking for your permission.
As someone who has played them for no more than an hour I can already say you're wrong

Ike and Marth have a completely different playstyle and I fail to see why you won't admit this

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai at least tried to get Geno in the game, and cited the Ballot and mii outfit sales when talking to Square. From there I have no clue whether or not they gave Sakurai a green light for DLC or a "haha no".
Geno was excluded the first time for arbitrary reasons. It might be those same arbitrary reasons that hold him back.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Oh come on man. Marth, Roy, Ike, Chrom and Lucina are not that uniquely different. Sure that has a heavy sword, the other have a fire sword, a fast sword, a mix of all those swords and that's a women. But that's not what I would call unique. Like how you can tell between Mario, Kirby or Marth for example. See what I'm trying to say here.
This argument is understandable. Like for kids or super casuals playing the game, it might not seem that unique. But anyone who plays this game somewhat seriously knows that all these characters are vastly different.

D

Deleted member

I mean, you're wrong, but please, go on about how Ike and Marth are clones and how you can play Roy the same way you can play Marth.

:4pacman:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Holy crap I just realized my dream of Proto Man being a Mega Man Echo is viable again thanks to Chrom.

Also I heard something about the Grinch banner being posted in high-res? Can anyone source that?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah this makes the most sense to me.
The biggest questions are if they gave him that greenlight or "haha no". He definitely talked to them about Geno at some point as evidenced by the Spirit.
In retrospect him not being in base isn't too much of a shocker; Squenix LOVES making ANY of their characters DLC, so I don't see why Geno would be different.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What I do like about Bandana Dee is that he represents the modern Kirby era pretty well, something that Smash is lacking a lot of. And, he's got a pretty diverse moveset with that spear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom