• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Now I think about it, I think R.O.B.s new final smash is a reference to the gigantic cannon from the Subspace Emissary. The one where it was shooting multiple lined lazer before going to shoot the cannon before Kirby sliced it with his Roost vehicle.

Enchess

Smash Lord
*40% or more*

How the ****?
His counter can do that easily. I can see Incineroar getting annoying to fight against because of it. Less experienced players are definitely gonna just counter spam constantly.

D

Deleted member

On this episode of the Square Wars, Kingdom Hearts fans, Dragon Quest Fans, and Geno fans are once again at each others throats vying for the highly valued postition of a Smash character. Meanwhile, resident Nier fans are currently sitting in the corner, desperatly waiting for the day 2B gets into Smash. Find out more on tonight's episode! Now back to Paul with the story on a man have tantrum at a plant!

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Now I think about it, I think R.O.B.s new final smash is a reference to the gigantic cannon from the Subspace Emissary. The one where it was shooting multiple lined lazer before going to shoot the cannon before Kirby sliced it with his Roost vehicle.
I wonder what R.O.B.'s Final Smash is going to be like in the next game, because that **** gets bigger and better with each installment.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
On this episode of the Square Wars, Kingdom Hearts fans, Dragon Quest Fans, and Geno fans are once again at each others throats vying for the highly valued postition of a Smash character. Meanwhile, resident Nier fans are currently sitting in the corner, desperatly waiting for the day 2B gets into Smash. Find out more on the next episode of Square Wars!
They all lose because....

MONTY MOLE DIGS IN!!

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

Shroob

Sup?
It kinda makes sense though, doesn't it?

Noctis goes to Tekken
2B goes to SC
??? goes to Smash

Spreading out your IPs to various fighters without double dipping seems like a smart move.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Dude, I've been cooking up a giant overly complicated moveset to fit all his moves in.
Instead of having a charge mechanic like you, I instead just split his air and ground specials to entirely different moves.
Like, I have down B set to "Focus" which gives him an entirely different set of ground normals to fit the rest of his moveset in.
It's insaaaaaane the amount of moveset potential he has.
HA! As I was writing this, I had Focus mapped to one of his taunts, giving him an EX mechanic. It was going to be based on the ability to deal critical damage when the next move would land, but I did away with it since it functions sorta like Cloud's Limit Gauge and Incineroar's Revenge already. It's how I went toward giving him B moves with stronger variants when held for longer. Funnily enough, the idea is a lot closer to what X would do with fully-upgraded armor and Maverick weapons, haha.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I agree with you on people probably recognizing Geno more than DQ protagonists.
But more than the Dragon Quest Slime? That's.. Extremely debatable. It'd be like saying Rosalina is more recognizable than Pikachu to anyone who watched the E3 direct.
I specifically said that, though. “Any character besides Slime would be a ‘literally who’ to that audience.”

It also didn't make sense from a marketing perspective to include SFV's Ryu and FF7R's Cloud, not like they had much to promote for the Wii U or 3DS when compared to a competing console. Except that it actually did make sense, considering they're huge names, draw people in, and sell well. And that remains true for Sora as well. Benefitting a competitor was not an impediment seismic enough to preclude including the character then, doubt it would be now.

I also contest the DQ part. Not that that series' ideal venue is TGA given it's a western award show, but I don't think it's any worse suited than Geno, who would fare far better in a Nintendo/Smash Direct, where the audience is a much higher percentage of diehard Nintendo folks.

That said, never underestimate Nintendo's ability to misread a crowd. It could be any of them, or none of them.
Those weren’t competitors that Nintendo is actively removing partnerships with and competing against like they’re doing now with Disney, though. Their only remaining ties appear to be a TV deal, everything else is being pretty harshly cut off.

If this supposed audience is only the hardcore Smash audience maybe. What is this supposed audience based on?
The English-speaking audience that actively watches things like the TGAs for game announcements would definitely be more aware of Geno simply from Smash speculation and leaks than they would any specific Dragon Quest character.

However, again, I fully concede that in an overall, general survey, Geno would be a literal nobody. I’m basically trying to say... that, like, if 4% of people watching are aware of Geno, then 2-3% would know a specific Dragon Quest protagonist. Probably like 20-30% would be aware of Slime, though, just from the mascot factor.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
But it's worth noting that Simon Belmont is still MIA from the Castlevania Netflix show despite two seasons. He's still in the shadow of his more handsome self from Captain N.
Probably because the Castlevania Netflix show adapts the Dracula's Curse game, which takes place 193 years before Simon is even born. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna assume you have to do that without Spirits...

But I can see Incineroar doing that...

But what's Akuma pose about?
Defeat every single boss, character, assist trophy and stage boss as Yoshi. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I kind of wonder what's worse in GameFAQS: Yelling down against other fans for one's request of a character, or think Sakurai as some stubborn despicable person who should not be trusted due to his bias.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh I wasn't trying to undermine RDR2's commercial success or anything by throwing that out there. Like Diem Diem said, it's just a very impressive statistic on its own is all.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

DQ11 literally a GOTY contender and still a huge IP in japan and people here think an obscure puppet from more than 20 year old rpg is more well known
Yet it only has truly gotten "popular" here in the States and probably is gonna get steam-rolled by being in the only category at The Game Awards for "Best RPG". There's a difference between "Non-Smash Popularity" and "Smash Popularity".

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How about a Big Smoke AT where all the fighters have to stop until he's done ordering his meal?
you know, there's an alternate universe where rockstar stayed a second party studio and grand theft auto is a big nintendo series

that timeline sounds wack

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
ATTENTION: SquareEnix needs your help. They have too many characters and one slot to fill on the roster. Help them make the right decision by giving them your credit card number along with the 3 digit code on the back, and you'll get your dream SquareEnix character in the game, guaranteed!

#JusticeForVoiceOverPete

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yet it only has truly gotten "popular" here in the States and probably is gonna get steam-rolled by being in the only category at The Game Awards for "Best RPG". There's a difference between "Non-Smash Popularity" and "Smash Popularity".
Bro, Dragon Quest is mad popular over in Japan AND the States.
TL;DW, it sold 2mil right out the gate.

Plus, in the VGAs, where there will be more of an emphasis on general gaming, it'd make way more sense to appeal to non-smash popularity.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
ATTENTION: SquareEnix needs your help. They have too many characters and one slot to fill on the roster. Help them make the right decision by giving them your credit card number along with the 3 digit code on the back, and you'll get your dream SquareEnix character in the game, guaranteed!

#JusticeForVoiceOverPete

They're all NineS.

There.
Now give me my 2B.

I'll take her in smash, even if she's just a pencil.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Wait a minute, I have an idea! What if for Joker's down special is "Baton Pass" which is basically an assist attack that sends a Phantom Thief to do an attack before disappearing, you can only have 2-3 of them in a match (You can choose which one before match) and they also get knocked out like any assist trophy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Those weren’t competitors that Nintendo is actively removing partnerships with and competing against like they’re doing now with Disney, though. Their only remaining ties appear to be a TV deal, everything else is being pretty harshly cut off.
Right, they kept that TV deal because it's in a different medium than the one they've entered: movies. Which is why you see the only cut tie in that medium: movies. The rest, which extends to video games, is not direct competition.

It's similar to how they'll make mobile games but they won't make Playstation games.

you know, there's an alternate universe where rockstar stayed a second party studio and grand theft auto is a big nintendo series

that timeline sounds wack
When in the hell was Rockstar a second-party? You sure you're not thinking about Rare?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bro, Dragon Quest is mad popular over in Japan AND the States.
TL;DW, it sold 2mil right out the gate.

Plus, in the VGAs, where there will be more of an emphasis on general gaming, it'd make way more sense to appeal to non-smash popularity.
People are sleeping on the idea of the very girl in the thumbnail, btw....
She's mad popular.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait a minute, I have an idea! What if for Joker's down special is "Baton Pass" which is basically an assist attack that sends a Phantom Thief to do an attack before disappearing, you can only have 2-3 of them in a match (You can choose which one before match) and they also get knocked out like any assist trophy.
That sounds... needlessly complicated.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I specifically said that, though. “Any character besides Slime would be a ‘literally who’ to that audience.”

The English-speaking audience that actively watches things like the TGAs for game announcements would definitely be more aware of Geno simply from Smash speculation and leaks than they would any specific Dragon Quest character.

However, again, I fully concede that in an overall, general survey, Geno would be a literal nobody. I’m basically trying to say... that, like, if 4% of people watching are aware of Geno, then 2-3% would know a specific Dragon Quest protagonist. Probably like 20-30% would be aware of Slime, though, just from the mascot factor.
I'm quoting this so that you see it.
What about Disney's respect for Square Enix in negotiations for Sora, which could potentially play a major role as Disney has cancelled projects out of respect for Square Enix in the past (see: the Kingdom Hearts cartoon, Kingdom Hearts Fragmented Keys). If Square Enix wants Sora in Smash, they have leverage in those negotiations despite them being mainly held by Nintendo and Disney.

Additionally, the scope of Smash Brothers is attractive as a promotional opportunity for the Kingdom Hearts series, and I believe Disney would certainly take this into account during negotiations.

Looking at Square Enix's habit of including relevant, profitable characters in crossovers (see: 2B in Soul Calibur 6, Noctis in Tekken 7) alongside Vergeben's statement that Square Enix doesn't seem to care about him, Geno is seemingly one of the least likely characters.
What do you have to say about these points?

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
That sounds... needlessly complicated.
I know, which is why I think of the move acting like Ginyu's assist attack where they only do one attack, and go for rotation. As well as showing their icons and their status of being damaged in his icon hub.

That is probably a bit complicated.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Right, they kept that TV deal because it's in a different medium than the one they've entered: movies. Which is why you see the only cut tie in that medium: movies. The rest, which extends to video games, is not direct competition.

It's similar to how they'll make mobile games but they won't make Playstation games.

When in the hell was Rockstar a second-party? You sure you're not thinking about Rare?
Nah, Rockstar (or DMA Design at the time) was a second party studio for about 6 or 7 years in the 90s

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I know, which is why I think of the move acting like Ginyu's assist attack where they only do one attack, and go for rotation. As well as showing their icons and their status of being damaged in his icon hub.

That maybe is a bit complicated.
Oh yeah, like Ginyu it'd be fine. Olimar style X->Y->Z could work.
Just choosing 2-3 of them before the match starts feels weird.

Shroob

Sup?
A friend of mine wanted to post his idea for a SMT rep trailer.

"Picture a city, where you see the Fire Emblem characters are fighting. Some idol pop music is playing on a jumbotron on a building, and in the middle of the fight, the sky color distorts and the jumbotron goes all static. The music cuts and a form begins to appear on the jumbotron through the static. Fire Emblem characters look on, curious."

"Hee-ho."

JACK FROST, ICES THE COMPETITION

D

Deleted member

Seriously people. This is your Dragon Quest newcomer, right here.
Say something nice to her.

EDIT: None of the goddamn images are working...

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

"Picture a city, where you see the Fire Emblem characters are fighting. Some idol pop music is playing on a jumbotron on a building, and in the middle of the fight, the sky color distorts and the jumbotron goes all static. The music cuts and a form begins to appear on the jumbotron through the static. Fire Emblem characters look on, curious."

"Hee-ho."

Epilogue scene:
Jack Frost Burns.png

Kingslime304

Smash Lord

"Hee-ho."

My ****ing gosh, that is such a Sakurai thing to do. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom