• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
A little perspective for ya'll:

Smooth Criminal
Who is underestimating it? lol. Smash sells like hotcakes

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
And now, today on "Stuff Fandoms Say," it's an entirely new feature; a shiny new
:kirby:
SCREENCAP!
SmashSalt.png

Honestly, guys? I have no words for something like this. The excess exclamation points, the poor grammar and punctuation here and there, the misinformation, urging people to not buy the game - this demonstrates the value of taking the good with the bad. It's a hilariously laughable rant that showcases the true spirit of fans who aren't fans at all, and reminds us all that we're happy that we're not this poor schlub.
Do you guys have any snaps or screens of fans of this calibur? Post them here, and we can laugh at the dark side of the base together as one.​

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
A lot of good points were made, honestly. That brings up the whole whether Sora is a Disney or Square rep thing, along with other things mentioned here, Disney and Nintendo having a more sour relationship than they used to now thanks to the theme parks.

I agree with everything said here by RingJ5 RingJ5

Well, minus the Slime/DQ bit. But that's about it.
I don't know about how likely Geno is, but he's certainly very likely to me.
And I'm not really sure how recognizable Geno would really be to anyone at the game awards... Any smash fans watching, though, would immediately recognize him.
Still holding on to my Yuna from FFX theory lol.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Did that person really argue that not only would more people know Geno than any Dragon Quest characters other than Slime? Geno who is a literal who to most people outside of Smash Bros and was completely absent from all of Europe for a long time. And Dragon Quest which while not as huge as over in Japan has had multiple games brought over. 8 being very well received and getting a 3DS remake recently and DQXI having come out recently with a Switch port happening. Worldwide at that.

Not just more known but by 10x the amount? Really?

Im not against Geno but why do people overhype him like that while downplaying others? Also why would Slime suddenly not count?
Hey, I’m that person. And no, I didn’t argue that overall Geno would be more recognizable, but in the context of people watching the Game Awards(where this announcement would most likely occur), you could likely find ten people who are aware of Geno by Smash speculation alone than could give you the specific given name of even one DQ protagonist.

I completely concede that if you’re talking about an overall survey then DQ would be far more recognizable, but for a TGA announcement, any DQ character besides Slime would be more a “literally who” to that audience, moreso than Geno would be. I’m fully aware that Geno’s obscure as well, don’t get me wrong, but in this particular case he’d be better-known.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
And now, today on "Stuff Fandoms Say," it's an entirely new feature; a shiny new
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129
Honestly, guys? I have no words for something like this. The excess exclamation points, the poor grammar and punctuation here and there, the misinformation, urging people to not buy the game - this demonstrates the value of taking the good with the bad. It's a hilariously laughable rant that showcases the true spirit of fans who aren't fans at all, and reminds us all that we're happy that we're not this poor schlub.
Do you guys have any snaps or screens of fans of this calibur? Post them here, and we can laugh at the dark side of the base together as one.​
Isn’t that the guy that got banned from here the other day after throwing a tantrum over P Plant?

D

Deleted member

SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129
Holy **** it's that same guy who got banned a few days ago.
I wonder where he'll go next on his great pilgrimage to tell people how bad Ultimate is.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Also, fun fact: half of the unique newcomers in Smash Ultimate have been in cartoons before.

Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool have also featured in manga before, along with possibly Isabelle and Simon as well - Incineroar still hasn't shown up.

What does this mean?

Nothing! But it's worth noting that Simon Belmont is still MIA from the Castlevania Netflix show despite two seasons. He's still in the shadow of his more handsome self from Captain N.
I mean, it wouldn't make sense for Simon to show up in the 2 current seasons of the Netflix series, it takes place about 200 years before he was even born.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Honestly slime would probably be more likely to be apart of Dragon Quest Hero mechanic acting as a companion or summon or something?

Thats nothing remotely close to what a mii fighter does.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129
Free DLC insanely unique fighter is fake news. It's actually 20$ and is just a Wario clone.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Isn’t that the guy that got banned from here the other day after throwing a tantrum over P Plant?
Holy **** it's that same guy who got banned a few days ago.
I wonder where he'll go next on his great pilgrimage to tell people how bad Ultimate is.
He's been here? Where? Where?! I need to laugh at him and his subordinates!

osby

Smash Obsessed
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129
I'd kill to have the passion of this guy, only for something useful.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, I’m that person. And no, I didn’t argue that _overall_ Geno would be more recognizable, but in the context of people watching the Game Awards(where this announcement would most likely occur), you could likely find ten people who are aware of Geno by Smash speculation alone than could give you the specific given name of even one DQ protagonist.
... That's because they have no names sans Erdrick (or Loto if you're Japanese)

That's why the community just calls them by their number, which is pretty easy to remember.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129
Geez a post like so pessimistic like this reminds me me of Game FAQ's.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of good points were made, honestly. That brings up the whole whether Sora is a Disney or Square rep thing, along with other things mentioned here, Disney and Nintendo having a more sour relationship than they used to now thanks to the theme parks.

And I'm not really sure how recognizable Geno would really be to anyone at the game awards... Any smash fans watching, though, would immediately recognize him.
It also didn't make sense from a marketing perspective to include SFV's Ryu and FF7R's Cloud, not like they had much to promote for the Wii U or 3DS when compared to a competing console. Except that it actually did make sense, considering they're huge names, draw people in, and sell well. And that remains true for Sora as well. Benefitting a competitor was not an impediment seismic enough to preclude including the character then, doubt it would be now.

I also contest the DQ part. Not that that series' ideal venue is TGA given it's a western award show, but I don't think it's any worse suited than Geno, who would fare far better in a Nintendo/Smash Direct, where the audience is a much higher percentage of diehard Nintendo folks.

That said, never underestimate Nintendo's ability to misread a crowd. It could be any of them, or none of them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
BlondeLombax BlondeLombax Please reupload your image while censoring out the various swearing. The swear word for crap is specifically censored on this forum, so it should be ****ty. Sorry to have to remove it, but it violates the rules. It has some... odd points, but this is to just let you know. :)

NineS

Smash Lord
SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176129

Hey, I’m that person. And no, I didn’t argue that _overall_ Geno would be more recognizable, but in the context of people watching the Game Awards(where this announcement would most likely occur), you could likely find ten people who are aware of Geno by Smash speculation alone than could give you the specific given name of even one DQ protagonist.
I agree with you on people probably recognizing Geno more than DQ protagonists.
But more than the Dragon Quest Slime? That's.. Extremely debatable. It'd be like saying Rosalina is more recognizable than Pikachu to anyone who watched the E3 direct.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
BlondeLombax BlondeLombax Please reupload your image while censoring out the various swearing. The swear word for crap is specifically censored on this forum, so it should be ****ty. Sorry to have to remove it, but it violates the rules. It has some... odd points, but this is to just let you know. :)
Sorry, I'll hop back into paint and do the proper proofreading.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Hey, I’m that person. And no, I didn’t argue that overall Geno would be more recognizable, but in the context of people watching the Game Awards(where this announcement would most likely occur), you could likely find ten people who are aware of Geno by Smash speculation alone than could give you the specific given name of even one DQ protagonist.

I completely concede that if you’re talking about an overall survey then DQ would be far more recognizable, but for a TGA announcement, any DQ character besides Slime would be more a “literally who” to that audience, moreso than Geno would be. I’m fully aware that Geno’s obscure as well, don’t get me wrong, but in this particular case he’d be better-known.
If this supposed audience is only the hardcore Smash audience maybe. What is this supposed audience based on?

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Off topic but I can't help but read DQ as Dairy Queen. I know it stands for Dragon Quest, but I want Ice Cream

And yes Geno isn't a popular character across the world but he saved the mushroom kingdom so he should get into smash

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
DQ11 literally a GOTY contender and still a huge IP in japan and people here think an obscure puppet from more than 20 year old rpg is more well known

D

Deleted member

A little perspective for ya'll:

Smooth Criminal
I mean I know we're all excited for Smash but Red Dead 2 had literally the best opening weekend in entertainment history, for anything.
It'll sell millions, but probably nowhere close to Red Dead's numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
No point in arguing over Geno Vs Dragon Quest Characters , guys. SquareEnix rep may be neither of them and neither of them may ever get into smash anyway

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Why do people feel the need to put down others simply because they want a character they didn't request?

"Moveset Potential"? "Being Relevant"? "OBSCURE?!" Now your just making excuses to hide the fact that you don't simply like what one says (Besides there are several characters that are in that debunk some of those arguments)

GUYS THIS IS ABOUT WANTING SOMETHING TO HAPPEN, NOT A ****ING **** MEASURING CONTEST!

I mean I have feelings like that, but it's mostly out of wishful thinking, not actually thinking it would happen.

(B-but Kingslime, Wii Fit Trainer made sense because of sales an-) No, that's not mainly why, it's simply to show that he can add anyone he wants at times.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Off topic but I can't help but read DQ as Dairy Queen. I know it stands for Dragon Quest, but I want Ice Cream

And yes Geno isn't a popular character across the world but he saved the mushroom kingdom so he should get into smash
Mallow did that too, but go off, I guess.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Yeah, but being on a Nintendo console as opposed to being a Sony first party game, a Rockstar game, an Ubisoft game, or Call of Duty, people underestimate it.

SCREENCAP!
View attachment 176132
"WORSE POSITION THAN MARVEL VS. CAPCOM INFINITE"?!?!

There's hyperbole, and then there's needing to be sent to a mental health facility.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No point in arguing over Geno Vs Dragon Quest Characters , guys. SquareEnix rep may be neither of them and neither of them may ever get into smash anyway
There's no point in arguing anything.
That's why it's speculation.
It's just for our entertainment than anything.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Castlevania's representation in Smash made me realize how much I want mainline SMT representation in Smash Bros. Both are longrunning series with their origins closely connected to Nintendo. Dracula's Castle being a hub for boss fights in particular makes me want a Tokyo stage with tons of demon cameos (with some Kid Dracula-tier outliers, like Raidou or P4:Izanagi). Y'all talking about how Spirits is Persona or even Xenoblade 2, but fusion came first in Megami Tensei on the NES and Guardians in if... were boosting partymember stats ages ago. And there's the obvious DMC crossover potential for a mainline SMT rep. The trailer for them practically writes itself; a demon hunter and a demi-fiend fighting with/against a Pokemon trainer, angels, witches, goddesses and vampire hunters.

Man I hate that this will never happen.
Demi-Fiend would be kino. His MUGEN counterpart reminded me of how insane his move pool is:
-Neutral B: Blight if tapped, and Deadly Fury if charged all the way
-Side B: Divine Shot if tapped, and Xeros-Beat if charged all the way
-Down B: Megido if tapped, and Megidolaon if charged all the way
-Up B: Wind Cutter repurposed as a recovery, becoming Tornado if held all the way. The first variant is similar to Robin's recovery while the second works sort of like Diddy's jetpack
-Side Smash: Magma Axis
-Down Smash: Gaea's Rage
-Up Smash: Chaos Blade, but reanimated to look somewhat like an upward version of Deadly Fury. Haohmaru's sword style comes to mind though
-Dash: Tempest
-Forward Throw/Back Throw: Javelin Rain
-Down Throw: Ice Breath
-Up Throw: Oni-Kagura
-Nair: A basic aerial kick
-Fair: Iron Claw
-Bair: A basic back kick
-Dair: Spiral Viper, but facing a different direction than normal, and obviously sped up (then again, what wouldn't?)
-Uair: Tentarafoo, but with his dominant arm waving in a 180 arc above his head that casts fireworks-like explosions
Final Smash: Freikugel. Works like Dark Pit's Final Smash, except once it's activated, the player can control where they want to aim. This gives other players a chance avoid its line of death, but once a path is picked, there's no dodging this move. It pierces through. Can be fully avoided if the other player(s) get behind him though.

Okay, I think I went a tad overboard with this. It took me an hour to think up everything. I'm certain there's more from Nocturne, but it's been years since I've played it so I can be totally off-the-mark with some of these, barring some "creative liberties" here and there.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Don't you just love it when fans make blatantly biased arguments?

How about acknowledging the recent game show Nintendo and Disney made to promote the Nintendo Switch? Or how Nintendo has a deal with Disney to stream events such as the Invitational Tournament on TV exclusively through Disney XD? While Nintendo and Disney may not have the best business relationship, they still have one that can be used to get to the negotiation table.

Or what about Disney's respect for Square Enix in negotiations for Sora, which could potentially play a major role as Disney has cancelled projects out of respect for Square Enix in the past (see: the Kingdom Hearts cartoon, Kingdom Hearts Fragmented Keys). If Square Enix wants Sora in Smash, they have leverage in those negotiations despite them being mainly held by Nintendo and Disney.

Additionally, the scope of Smash Brothers is attractive as a promotional opportunity for the Kingdom Hearts series, and I believe Disney would certainly take this into account during negotiations.

This reads as little more than feeble excuses to make Geno the most likely Square Enix rep when, looking at Square Enix's habit of including relevant, profitable characters in crossovers (see: 2B in Soul Calibur 6, Noctis in Tekken 7) alongside Vergeben's statement that Square Enix doesn't seem to care about him, Geno is seemingly one of the least likely characters.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Especally since it's gonna be released at the time where ALOT of people would buy the game for the Holidays, so it would still sell EXTREMELY WELL, despite maybe not being as much as RDR2 (Since that game is on multiple consoles, along with great reception).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Demi-Fiend would be kino. His MUGEN counterpart reminded me of how insane his move pool is:
-Neutral B: Blight if tapped, and Deadly Fury if charged all the way
-Side B: Divine Shot if tapped, and Xeros-Beat if charged all the way
-Down B: Megido if tapped, and Megidolaon if charged all the way
-Up B: Wind Cutter repurposed as a recovery, becoming Tornado if held all the way. The first variant is similar to Robin's recovery while the second works sort of like Diddy's jetpack
-Side Smash: Magma Axis
-Down Smash: Gaea's Rage
-Up Smash: Chaos Blade, but reanimated to look somewhat like an upward version of Deadly Fury. Haohmaru's sword style comes to mind though
-Dash: Tempest
-Forward Throw/Back Throw: Javelin Rain
-Down Throw: Ice Breath
-Up Throw: Oni-Kagura
-Nair: A basic aerial kick
-Fair: Iron Claw
-Bair: A basic back kick
-Dair: Spiral Viper, but facing a different direction than normal, and obviously sped up (then again, what wouldn't?)
-Uair: Tentarafoo, but with his dominant arm waving in a 180 arc above his head that casts fireworks-like explosions
Final Smash: Freikugel. Works like Dark Pit's Final Smash, except once it's activated, the player can control where they want to aim. This gives other players a chance avoid its line of death, but once a path is picked, there's no dodging this move. It pierces through. Can be fully avoided if the other player(s) get behind him though.

Okay, I think I went a tad overboard with this. It took me an hour to think up everything. I'm certain there's more from Nocturne, but it's been years since I've played it so I can be totally off-the-mark with some of these, barring some "creative liberties" here and there.
Dude, I've been cooking up a giant overly complicated moveset to fit all his moves in.
Instead of having a charge mechanic like you, I instead just split his air and ground specials to entirely different moves.
Like, I have down B set to "Focus" which gives him an entirely different set of ground normals to fit the rest of his moveset in.
It's insaaaaaane the amount of moveset potential he has.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Yeah, but being on a Nintendo console as opposed to being a Sony first party game, a Rockstar game, an Ubisoft game, or Call of Duty, people underestimate it.

"WORSE POSITION THAN MARVEL VS. CAPCOM INFINITE"?!?!

There's hyperbole, and then there's needing to be sent to a mental health facility.
That honestly sounds like that one guy who was raging on here a few days back

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How about a Big Smoke AT where all the fighters have to stop until he's done ordering his meal?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Having a Dragon Quest hero on the roster would be awesome... People are hating on the idea of using a character creator to design its appearance but I think it would be amazing.

Slime could be your monster recruit or something and just attack your target with basic AI. Sorta like a Nana type deal but not so mimicy. More like an ai support.

The move set wouldnt be customizable for competitive reasons. But seeing a bunch of different call backs and references to all the DQ games in one characters move set would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom