• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
And there's no chance they'll say yes. Because they don't get much out of it.

Because some people saw him use a gun and act stoic as a kid and went "woah, this guy is so cool!"

It's also worth mentioning no one cares about him outside of the Smash community
So then what? Sakurai goes "Let me pay you to borrow a character you don't care about and have nothing to lose by giving the rights to" and Square goes "Nah we don't like money". There's literally no downside to this deal for them and they can't force another character in. It's okay to not like Geno and not think he's likely but saying square would never let it happen is just silly.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Because hearing Geno jerked off to no one for 13 or whatever years is extremely annoying. It's tiring to hear people constantly demand a side character from a forgotten JRPG, especially for so long.
Sorry for liking a character, I guess...

Actually, no. I'm not sorry.

Geno's awesome. I want him in Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So I am to assume that the people I have seen saying they are Native American and don't like it are actually lying about their heritage?

Given the internet I wouldn't be surprised but I like to at least have some faith in people.
They might be lying about their heritage.

More than likely, if they are actually Native Americans, they're a vocal minority.

I'll refer back to the Speedy Gonzales thing, I believe the story goes that Americans assumed Speedy Gonzales was offensive to Mexicans and complained, so Warner Bros. pulled Speedy from production... Until real Mexicans complained in turn because it turned out they actually liked the guy.

D

Deleted member

Which is kind of funny because he's basically Pinocchio with built in gun arms.
Pretty much, yeah. I've never cared for him personally, but I can see his appeal and would probably be excited for him regardless because of the residual hype from all his fans, like I was with Ridley.
Because hearing Geno jerked off to no one for 13 or whatever years is extremely annoying. It's tiring to hear people constantly demand a side character from a forgotten JRPG, especially for so long.
Let people want who they want man, it's not hurting you.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
So then what? Sakurai goes "Let me pay you to borrow a character you don't care about and have nothing to lose by giving the rights to" and Square goes "Nah we don't like money". There's literally no downside to this deal for them and they can't force another character in. It's okay to not like Geno and not think he's likely but saying square would never let it happen is just silly.
Because they can make more money with someone like Sora or Lara Croft or a DQ rep since those characters help promote DQXI, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and KHIII. Geno does none of that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know, I actually have memorized the entirety of "shrek is love, shrek is life". I used to repeat it to bother my now-ex gf.

I honestly cannot wait for the most important change to the stage system in Ultimate: now we can have tournaments where Battlefield looks pretty.
That is actually a big deal. I have always hated how the best-looking stages never got shown on screen (Distant Planet, Rainbow Road, etc.) during tournaments.
Even better is how we get to have Fountain of Dreams once more

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm way ahead of you there, pal.
View attachment 176073
Big doesn't belong there. He's gotten way more popular and even Sega promotes him as a unique meme, with his own official webgame. Not sure who easily could be put on there, though. Waddle Dee also barely belongs there, to be honest. It got an amiibo, for cripes' sake. The other 3, however, definitely belong. Maybe add Call of Duty Soldier, at least. Hard to say on the last one...

------------------

Getting back to Geno, it's easily possible Square don't want him playable and just want him in smaller roles. But it's also possible they don't think he'd make as much money as their bigger guns. Pun aside, he isn't nearly as popular as some of their more known properties. He's popular, yes, and Sakurai wants him, yes. But that doesn't change anything.

On another note, Super Mario RPG uses Final Fantasy music. Square can't really sell the rights to the game over to Nintendo. All they can do at best is give them the rights to use some Super Mario RPG assets as they wish, but can't do much with Super Mario RPG because Square will still hold parts of the IP rights overall.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If I'm gonna be honest, I have no stake in this conversation or debate because my SE wants are obscure nobody picks that only I want.

1. Neku Sakuraba
2. Tiz Arrior
3. Crono
4. Ramza Beoulve
5. Terra Branford
6. Erdrick
7. 2B
8. And theeeeeeeen maybe Sora or Geno or whatever.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Why are people suddenly coming for Geno lol ain't his supporters been gut punched enough this entire cycle
It's a discussion about a character and people are simply stating their views on the character, that's really it. Most are not punching Geno fans simply by doing so, well I can only speak for my intentions on the matter.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Why are people suddenly coming for Geno lol ain't his supporters been gut punched enough this entire cycle
Oh, was that punch suppose to kill us? I think we just had time to reflect (I did) and come in with vigor to the bitter end.
Sorry for liking a character, I guess...

Actually, no. I'm not sorry.

Geno's awesome. I want him in Smash.
Hahaha yeah! Never be sorry for a character you support or like little buddy!

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Can someone please explain to me why Square would want to put Geno in over some of their other characters from series that are ongoing and would make sense for advertising?

I really don’t mean this as a knock against Geno because he is the Square rep I would want and I know his fans have been wanting him in forever.

But if Square is only getting one more rep why would they want to put in a one-off character from a Mario game that came out 22 years ago? I know Sakurai does so his chances definitely aren’t that bad, but I feel like a DQ character would make sense to advertise that series. Sora I guess is Disney, but I don’t know if Square would have a say in that also.

Cloud is arguably the most famous FF character so him being in Smash to represent that series made sense.

Last edited:

Jakenimbus

Smash Apprentice
I think people are just trying to save the Geno supporters in the long run. People have seen what has happened to Issac and Shadow and I am pretty sure every kinda thinks Geno is gonna get the same treatment. People are just trying to spread on their wisdom and try and inform the Geno supporters that Geno is not looking too likely to make it in so don’t get your hopes up for nothing.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because they can make more money with someone like Sora or Lara Croft or a DQ rep since those characters help promote DQXI, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and KHIII. Geno does none of that.
Once again. They do not make the roster. If Sakurai asks for Geno specifically they can say yes or no. They can't say "No you're putting in Lara Croft". If Sakurai just went and asked them for "A Square rep" then it would be different. But that's not how it works

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think people are just trying to save the Geno supporters in the long run. People have seen what has happened to Issac and Shadow and I am pretty sure every kinda thinks Geno is gonna get the same treatment. People are just trying to spread on their wisdom and try and inform the Geno supporters that Geno is not looking too likely to make it in so don’t get your hopes up for nothing.
I am a Geno supporter who is completely convinced Geno isn't in and there's a difference between trying to keep Geno supporters hopes down and going "he's boring and completely unpopular and never gonna happen"

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Geno gets a lot of love from the Smash team, more than Dr. Wright (SimCity SNES), any Famicom Detective Club character or Tinstar (for the SNES)
It's obvious Geno has an special place in Smash.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Geno is badass and belongs in smash. If you say otherwise, you're entitled to your opinion even though it's wrong lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You know, there's a clear line in when discussing characters becomes too personal.

Yeah I think we crossed it about 4 pages back.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, it isnt. Companies dont go "LOL, HAVE MY CHARACTER. MAKE ME LOTS OF MONEY!" They care about what is done with their carácter since their property can be sullen if they just give free reign to the other company to do whatever they want.

That is why pikachu doesnt transform into super saiyan while speaking like a human being or why Sonic doesnt have different fur colors for smash. Giving someone the chance to use a character doesnt mean that there arent restrictions in place. When one makes a deal, there are stipulations put in place about what it is being done with character and what are the limits of such a deal.

Companies are usually careful about how much freedom they give. And if stuff like Zelda and Mario CD-i can prove, its that giving someone complete freedom over your IPs is a terrible idea.
Okay but yet here we go again with really bad counter examples. None of those examples have anything to do with how having Geno in Smash would protect their company image, etc, etc.

There's absolutely nothing for Square to gain other than a really I'm assuming small amount of cash considering he's a one off character who they've never used from Geno being in Smash Ultimate as an icon/spirit. They probably got more money off his Mii Costume than they would that.

And I'm sure we're all aware unless Cloud and Geno were both secured again back in the initial Smash 4 DLC phase for Ultimate, a whole other conversation about both their content coming back for Smash Ultimate had to have taken place. So in that event that makes twice Square said to Sakurai it'd be okay for him to use Geno in some capacity, but I'm going to assume it was only once.

Now here's my line of thinking. Geno is probably a relatively cheap character to license out because well he's not an icon, he's by all means really quite the underdog. He's not getting used, so he's not gonna cost Sakurai as much to use as say Cloud or Chocobo who have both been in Smash in some greater or equal capacity.

So here's the deal if a man comes to you and tells you there's a heap of fan demand for this one time character that you have been sitting on and you know he's not really worth that much to license out and you get paid this small amount of money for let's just say an icon. Let's just assume the only thing he has in Smash Ultimate is an icon and Spirit. Let's say you said yes to that.

Congratulations. You've gotten a minimal amount of profit. Now...let's flip it.

You see that fan demand and you probably also can gauge fan demand from sells of the Mii Fighter Outfit from Smash 4. You also know this is a character who you can make a playable character now and thus make even more money. Now Sakurai isn't paying you chump change. He's paying you a little more bang for your buck for a character that you just have sitting around collecting dust.

Congratulations. You've maximized your profits on a character you've not been profiting on prior to this.

Now tell me as a 46 year old company what would you more likely do?

Counter point to what I'm trying to say: It's certainly possible that seeing the fan demand and whatever the sales of the Mii Fighter costume from Smash 4 were like? Asked for TOO much money from Sakurai to turn Geno into a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate and thus he had to shoot them down but kept what he already had as bones for Geno's fans.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Big doesn't belong there. He's gotten way more popular and even Sega promotes him as a unique meme, with his own official webgame. Not sure who easily could be put on there, though. Waddle Dee also barely belongs there, to be honest. It got an amiibo, for cripes' sake. The other 3, however, definitely belong. Maybe add Call of Duty Soldier, at least. Hard to say on the last one...
I'd say Tingle belongs there but then I remember that Japan loves him.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd say Tingle belongs there but then I remember that Japan loves him.
Daily reminder that Tingle got in before Linebeck and Byrne...
And Byrne had a cool robo-hand...

And Linebeck?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Okay but yet here we go again with really bad counter examples. None of those examples have anything to do with how having Geno in Smash would protect their company image, etc, etc.

There's absolutely nothing for Square to gain other than a really I'm assuming small amount of cash considering he's a one off character who they've never used from Geno being in Smash Ultimate as an icon/spirit. They probably got more money off his Mii Costume than they would that.

And I'm sure we're all aware unless Cloud and Geno were both secured again back in the initial Smash 4 DLC phase for Ultimate, a whole other conversation about both their content coming back for Smash 4 had to have taken place. So in that even that makes twice Square said to Sakurai it'd be okay for him to use Geno in some capacity, but I'm going to assume it was only once.

Now here's my line of thinking. Geno is probably a relatively cheap character to license out because well he's not an icon, he's by all means really quite the underdog. He's not getting used, so he's not gonna cost Sakurai as much to use as say Cloud or Chocobo who have both been in Smash in some greater or equal capacity.

So here's the deal if a man comes to you and tells you there's a heap of fan demand for this one time character that you have been sitting on and you know he's not really worth that much to license out and you get paid this small amount of money for let's just say an icon. Let's just assume the only thing he has in Smash Ultimate is an icon and Spirit. Let's say you said yes to that.

Congratulations. You've gotten a minimal amount of profit. Now...let's flip it.

You see that fan demand and you probably also can gauge fan demand from sells of the Mii Fighter Outfit from Smash 4. You also know this is a character who you can make a playable character now and thus make even more money. Now Sakurai isn't paying you chump change. He's paying you a little more bang for your buck for a character that you just have sitting around collecting dust.

Congratulations. You've maximized your profits on a character you've not been profiting on prior to this.

Now tell me as a 46 year old company what would you more likely do?

Counter point to what I'm trying to say: It's certainly possible that seeing the fan demand and whatever the sales of the Mii Fighter costume from Smash 4 were like? Asked for TOO much money from Sakurai to turn Geno into a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate and thus he had to shoot them down but kept what he already had as bones for Geno's fans.
Smart post Fisher
Smart post

D

Deleted member

You know, there's a clear line in when discussing characters becomes too personal.

Yeah I think we crossed it about 4 pages back.
Personally I think all of your characters ****ing suck and the only 3rd party character that's worth anything is Viewtiful Joe.
Henshin-A-Go-Go, baby

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Personally I think all of your characters ****ing suck and the only 3rd party character that's worth anything is Viewtiful Joe.
Henshin-A-Go-Go, baby
STILL WAITING ON ANOTHER SEQUEL CAPCOM.
JOE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE MVCI.

BUT ARTHUR AND FIREBRAND DID?
AAAAAAAAAH

FreeFox

Smash Lord
That's exactly why they wouldn't say no to Geno. They don't care about him at all. They're never going to use him. It's literally free money for square.
That argument applies to every single character under their flag. Dont get me wrong, I think Geno has a good chance to be in smash but "free easy money" is not a good argument for his inclusion. If anything, it is an argument that works better against Geno since the company would try to maximize earnings while reducing risks.

Geno fans should reevaluate what makes Geno a strong pick. It has smash fandom popularity and Sakurai´s love for the character. It is a legacy character and right now Nintendo is in good terms with SE. I think it is better to stay with the strong points in its favours to prove your arguments than go for points that may work against you in the long run.

D

Deleted member

STILL WAITING ON ANOTHER SEQUEL CAPCOM.
JOE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE MVCI.

BUT ARTHUR AND FIREBRAND DID?
AAAAAAAAAH
I want Verg to be right about all the Smash Ultimate DLC because that gives me greater hope that he's right about MvC4.
Give us Doom back Capcom.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think I’m one of the few people who really enjoyed Spirit Tracks lol
I enjoyed it too.
It gave us by far our best version of Zelda.

Funny how she had to die before she started feeling like she actually had a life and wasn't just a plot device.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
> When you don't see intense arguing until Geno is brought up.

whoa guys calm down, Geno isn't a heel like Piranha Plant or Incineroar, he's a star-angel-spirit possessing a doll. Let him be.

I'm not too sure about this but I usually only see people argue like this over popular characters if that says anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom