• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think Ryu Hayabusa has a great chance to get in :

1: Iconic NES game series up there with Castlevania
2: No stranger to crossovers
3: Had exclusive (at first) core ninja gaiden title for wiiu
4: Samus and Ridley appeared in Dead or Alive dimensions
5: Team Ninja developed Other M (yeah I know) also Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem warriors
6: Fatal frame maiden of the Dark Water was a wiiu exclusive, now Yuri the main character is a TECMO rep in smash as an AT
(Ayane from DOA and Ninja Gaiden series appeared playable in said title which also used the Dead or Alive 5 engine)
7: An abundance of moves and weapons to create an original move set that is way beyond any sword user
8: His series is still alive and a new DOA coming next year with an upgraded look
9: Many TECMO tittles have been added to the switch's NES library, Ninja Gaiden coming in December
10: Amazing series sound track
11: Many spectacular locations suitable for stages (Hazards Galore)
12: Simply put his design Bad A** and his title is The ULTIMATE Ninja.

There is the best chance he has and I'm guessing one of those 5 DLC slots is his.
... and TECMO sure loves their DLC money

I agree with you, due the high partnership with Koei Tecmo and Nintendo lately I can see it. Also if they did let him in, it would open the door to fan favorites like Linkle and Lana. Also Ninja Gaiden is coming the NES catalog on the Switch in December, so it shows Nintendo does recognize the populairty of the series. Lastly he is one of the iconic trio of Samus, Simon and Ryu Hayabusa, as they had similar game styles on the NES. That being said I see him happening if a second DLC pass happens.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
EXACTLY.

He's by far the most slept on "realistic" 3rd party pick.
While I don't expect Hayabusa to be DLC for this game, I think he has a very good chance of being the Mega Man or Simon Belmont of Smash 6, a classic third party that got his start on the NES.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, Rex not getting in becuase he was just a bit too new before they finalized would sting all the more if they went back on those words bringing in a Fire Emblem character of all things from an even newer game, not gonna lie.
I see why it would string, but they're in too very different predicaments.

XC2 and ARMS were too new to be in the base game, but they're also arguably too old to be new and exciting DLC additions. They're in a very weird spot where, if they got newcomers, those newcomers could be outdated shortly after release.

A hypothetical Three Houses character could release right when the iron's hot, either shortly before or shortly after FETH's release. But more importantly, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems could have offered early concepts and gameplay early on in development to try and line up a Smash character for promotion. XC2 and ARMS launched far too early for that to happen with them.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
On the subject for Rex since quite a few people are talking about him, here's my 2 cents: He's very likely a candidate for a second season of fighters should Sakurai find the incentive to continue past the planned 5 that we're getting. If you think about it, this DLC exceeds what we got in Sm4sh. We got three veterans in that game along with four newcomers. In Ultimate, we're getting Piranha Plant as a bonus, along with 5 entirely-new characters. Sure, it's one less than the 7 we got in Sm4sh technically, but 6 of these characters are brand-spanking-new. Let that sink in for a moment...

If any of those characters hit a certain sales margin, that might encourage Sakurai (and if not him, the higherups in Nintendo) to make way for a second wave of fighters. By that point, there's no reason Sakurai can't add Rex and break this dumb trend. So far, Mii Fighter costumes of non-playable characters never had a newcomer in the same game that the former was introduced.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So someone posted a satire video of Sakurai answering a question on stage with fake translations, but can anyone tell me what he's actually saying? I can't find what event this is or how to search for it so I'm hoping someone here can help. I want to know what's actually going on!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUTDP5TF1Q) The video is actually funny though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey man, it's totally cool. I get your gripes with the franchise. Trust me, I have friends who have their own sound opinions of who they'd like to see and vice versa. Honestly, I'm kind of excited for what this pack is going to contain. Even if it has one controversial pick, if that character makes bank, I can see a Wave 2 DLC happen to capitalize on the market. By that time, we should be seeing another cluster of characters both expected and totally obscure. That mishmash of chaos is part of what makes Smash's roster beautiful.
If there's any VN character I'd want, regardless of barriers, it's the MC of Utawarerumono, Hakuoro. Masked man that's a tactical genius, is a hit with the ladies and royalty to boot? Seems cool to me.

What character do you think that the mechanics they have from their games would fit into Smash Bros.?

In my opinion, it would be Spike from Ape Escape, considering that the B/Special/Grab inputs only switch the gadgets themselves and you have to use them by manually using the right analog stick.
Marco Rossi. Besides weapon switching, eating food can activate Big Mode, and provide high risk, high reward tactics.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
turning smash into nintendo characters only with a few select guests would suck, especially since the first party pool is pretty damn dry

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
While I don't expect Hayabusa to be DLC for this game, I think he has a very good chance of being the Mega Man or Simon Belmont of Smash 6, a classic third party that got his start on the NES.
Agree or if by some chance they do a second DLC pass. However the chances of a second DLC pass, im not sure how high those are.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Fatal frame maiden of the Dark Water was a wiiu exclusive, now Yuri the main character is a TECMO rep in smash as an AT
(Ayane from DOA and Ninja Gaiden series appeared playable in said title which also used the Dead or Alive 5 engine)
Nintendo co-owns the rights to all Fatal Frame games after a certain point, that's why she's in.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Okay, favorite quote from any appearance a Smash Bros character is in...

Ready, GO!

"TAKE ME TO YOUR MASTER!" -Simon

"KING KAY ROOL, professional bad guy!" -K. Rool

StormC

Smash Hero
turning smash into nintendo characters only with a few select guests would suck, especially since the first party pool is pretty damn dry
How can it turn into something it already is?

Smash 6 won't be out for a very long time. They'll have built up their first party options by then.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Ready, GO!

"HI I'M DAISY!" - Daisy

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Ready, GO!

"I SENSE T H O T WAVES!" -Zanza
[Kappa]

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which is why it's important to ask for anyone, no matter how improbable.

Ready, GO!

"No copyright law in the universe can stop this hedgehog!" -Sonic

"Have a Rrrrotten day!" -Wario

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sakurai hasn't finalized the newcomers yet, then that tells me one of two things.

(1) We misunderstood Sakurai's words, and a character from an upcoming game could still get in. They know which specific game is getting a newcomer in Smash, but they haven't made a final decision on who that character will be just yet, similar to how Pokemon are chosen.

(2) For whatever reason, the collaboration with another third-party company isn't working out. Either things get sorted out, or Sakurai drops the idea and chooses someone else.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I see why it would string, but they're in too very different predicaments.

XC2 and ARMS were too new to be in the base game, but they're also arguably too old to be new and exciting DLC additions. They're in a very weird spot where, if they got newcomers, those newcomers could be outdated shortly after release.

A hypothetical Three Houses character could release right when the iron's hot, either shortly before or shortly after FETH's release. But more importantly, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems could have offered early concepts and gameplay early on in development to try and line up a Smash character for promotion. XC2 and ARMS launched far too early for that to happen with them.
Xenoblade 2 and ARMs aren't that old though, the Switch has a long lifespan ahead of it and so do those two games. They're still worth advertising. Besides, Xenoblade 2 just got some DLC very recently so its still been fresh in people's minds. Rex would totally do well if he were DLC, arguably better then a Three Houses character.

Although it's not as though newcomers are picked primarily for the sake of advertising anyway.

D

Deleted member

Ready, GO!

“Muy bien! Allevoy!”-Spanish Cloud thanks to an awful translation work by Square back on PS1.
“You must defeat Shen Long to stand a chance!”-Ryu.
“Okey!”-DK.
“Kept ya waiting, huh?”-Snake.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Agree to disagree. I'd still want:

Midna
Skull Kid
Paper Mario
Dillon
Captain Rainbow
Min Min
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Celica (shutup, I can want Fire Emblem things still)
Azura (I said shutup)

And that's just off the top of my head. Doesn't take into account the Nintendo properties other people want, like Bandana Dee, Isaac, Chorus Kids, other Pokemon, etc.

D

Deleted member

Wait, I thought during the direct Sakurai said that DLC was also decided among the base roster? Can someone clarify for me?

StormC

Smash Hero
Like bare minimum, I don't expect Smash 6 to be out before 2023. The Switch will probably last at least six years, like the DS and 3DS did. It'll probably be even later since a console hasn't launched with Smash since Melee.

By then there'll be plenty of stuff to work with, especially if, like I suspect, future Smash games will have newcomer counts closer to Melee and Ultimate than Brawl and 4, sort of like how recent Pokemon games have slowed down from 100+ mons each game and settle for 70-80.

D

Deleted member

I still haven't seen that Geno spirit
Wait, I thought during the direct Sakurai said that DLC was also decided among the base roster? Can someone clarify for me?
Don't remember if that was the exact timing but we DO know it happened before XC2's announcement.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think whoever gets in or isn't eligible is entirely dependent on how DLC plays out.

For instance if, for example, there's only this first Fighter Pass, then I would say we might have a generally good idea of what we're getting despite the fact that we don't have definitive information. From different sources, we've heard different things, such as "Minecraft Content" (not that I doubt it, I'm just leaving it as "Minecraft content" until we hear more), a Square Enix pick, and then if Mystic still has faith in their source, Lloyd Irving is also a potential option. That still leaves 2 potential options, and that's if Smash doesn't get Katarina.

Given the scope of this game, I'm not so sure that we should entirely count out another Fighter Pack. It's not like there couldn't be a "Fighter Pack 2" in 2020 or even beforehand. It's not something that we should consider as absolutely positively happening, but I would't be entirely surprised if it did.

The contents of that pack? Eesh, I don't even know. As one of the only people (probably) who doesn't think a character like Rex is entirely disconfirmed (I think of it as a more "soft disconfirm"), while I think his chances aren't great for Fighter Pack 1, I think it's entirely possible he'd have a much better chance at getting in through a 2nd fighter back. But at that point, unless there were preconceived plans prior to the unveiling of a "Fighter Pack 2", he might face steady competition from other characters.

Frankly, I think Nintendo has more to gain from supporting Ultimate through content packs like a "game as platform" than some think. It's my estimation that we're not getting another Smash for a long, long time, so keeping things fresh for a game like Smash Ultimate would do wonders. What that means for characters, I simply do not know.

I'm still a big fan of Rex as a playable character, but I also realize just how lucky I am to get a Mii Fighter costume if he doesn't get in. Most characters don't even get that.

Anyway, the news that not all fighters have been picked is extremely interesting. To me, that would suggest that 3rd party characters would need to have been picked because of licensing. What's even more interesting is that the only characters we've heard rumblings about are 3rd parties.

At the end of the day, I probably won't be turned off by any of the DLC. I just would really like to see Rex. I don't personally think a Mii Fighter costume is a disconfirmation itself, because not only are there characters with them despite being in the game already, but that the only way to get it is to buy the Fighter Pass. I don't really think Spirits disconfirm anybody either. Truthfully, the only thing that I think absolutely 100% disconfirms a character is either being an Assist Trophy, Boss, or outright stated isn't going to playable.

The whole Xenoblade 2 section of the Direct was just...utterly confusing. Like, there's so many different interpretations to take from it that there's no way to completely tell what's going on.

Oh well. Either way, seeing more gameplay today on new stages has just added immense amounts of hype to this game for me. The fact that we're around 30 days away is just crazy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He didn't say that specifically; he said Rex couldn't make the roster because of his game not being released in time (or something), but that could've been referring to the base roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like bare minimum, I don't expect Smash 6 to be out before 2023. The Switch will probably last at least six years, like the DS and 3DS did. It'll probably be even later since a console hasn't launched with Smash since Melee.

By then there'll be plenty of stuff to work with, especially if, like I suspect, future Smash games will have newcomer counts closer to Melee and Ultimate than Brawl and 4, sort of like how recent Pokemon games have slowed down from 100+ mons each game and settle for 70-80.
Regardless whenever Smash 6 shows up (I can be very patient for that), I just want to know if there will be another worldwide ballot again, it would suck if they went back to it being Japan-only like before 4. That severely limits player suggestions otherwise (well, smart ones, anyway).

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Ready, GO!

All right

Solid Snake: "Legends are fiction, kid. Someone tells it, someone else remembers, everyone passes it on."

D

Deleted member

Also I'm gonna have to be real on the Cygames talk, Nintendo and other companies have fallen out on so much stuff, that if Nintendo and the producers of Burnout couldn't agree on making an F-Zero game, good luck with Katalina in Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
One month and one day until the VGAs, one month and 2 days until the game comes out.

At the very least, we'll hopefully be able to pin our first DLC character down.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
How can it turn into something it already is?

Smash 6 won't be out for a very long time. They'll have built up their first party options by then.
But it's not really that anymore. Sakurai himself has said it's a general gaming celebration. Characters like Dante or Steve or Sora or Doomguy would be FAR more interesting than some Zelda oneoff character or a guy from a c list Game Boy RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom