• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Which is sad, since PXZ is an almost complete 180 from Namco X Capcom, which had plenty of fun scenarios and had mascots mingle with each other (I mean, the Mega Man Legends and Captain Commando casts in the same game with Klonoa and Time Crisis' heroes? Madness!). It's like they suddenly developed an allergy to good crossovers. Not even Mario was in there, and they gutted out Tron Bonne for the sequel, to add insult to injury.

Then again, I suspect Banpresto is to blame for that somehow.
Yeah, I bought both of them, and I could not believe that a game could have so many characters I liked... but have gameplay I despise, with some of the most bizarre roster picks.

Also, the art was kinda weird.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I have a pretty good feeling the first DLC character will be the rumored SE character, I'm still comfortable with my prediction that three of the DLC characters will be Nintendo reps.

I could be wrong (and I've been wrong plenty of times before), but we already have eight different third-party franchises on the roster. I'm feeling like ten is going to be that magic number where they stop with this game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Snake has history with Nintendo because he has the most fire Game Boy Color game ever made that wasn't a Pokemon game.

Nintendo needs to finally rerelease this gem on the 3DS eShop, seriously.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I get not liking a holocaust denier but wishing they would die so they can't profit off of something they made seems a bit messed up to me.
It is messed up.

Just because he is like that doesnt mean you can wish death on them. If that was morally allowed in this world, I would of wished death on a ton of people.

i keep hearing peoplw say "Hey he wont be around long anyway" and I resest the urge to tell them off

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Hmmm, it is unfortunate that he is not more well known. Personally I love the story of Robin hood so another figure who is like him is really interesting. And well I hope they will add 3rd representatives for 3rd party's so you can have your wish buddy. It is true they went for a more global appeal despite him having longer running history with the company. This is the fate I fear for Geno and Banjo fans, because it is a repeated business pattern despite being different companies. In the end companies want money over long character history and fan loyalty. They choose the candidates that are more well known and who's series are popular all around. It is unfortunate and I hope that these companies realize that these characters have many loyal fans. And these fans would love their inclusion in Smash and would love for them to have new games.

I actually really love game and movie scores. I love hearing different instruments used and the more unique the more interesting it is. I love hearing the Erhu instrument which is a Chinese violin. Or the jaw harp that has a rubber band like sound, if you listen to the music from Rayman it has it. So my music tastes are all around from the epic to the more arcade like sound. I was super happy to hear Yoko Shimomura has joined the composing team in Smash Ultimate. Her music in Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom hearts is breathtaking, she is truly a musical genius. Also she is the composer of the music in Super Mario RPG and composed Vega's theme in Street Fighter. I really like both Goemon's theme as arcade sounding and epic. I hope they add it to Smash Ultimate.

I actually love Japanese folklore, thats one of the reasons I love the Samurai Warriors and the Nioh franchise. As they explain a lot of folklore and historical figures. Like I had no idea there were white samurai's, William Adams one of the first white samurai's has a fascinating story. Personally my favorite era in Japan is the Sengoku period. I really hope one day I can travel to Japan, I would love to see the Water City Gujo Hachiman.
Thanks. Goemon would be it for me. I do have few other wishes but I know they're near impossible to achieve I won't bother.

I think anyhting can be pulled. I mean what was the sense of bringing Bubsy back. Not everything has to be a hard cut. They may choose some over Geno, but that wouldn't be a smart move, as how unprofitable it is. Banjo, I'm not sure of. I'd take anything over Steve though. Unfortunately, according to leaks, that's getting harder and harder to realize.

Oh who doesn't like the Erhu, it has an international appeal. Though I prefer the Japanese Shamisen, if done right. You'll find it in some Goemon tracks.
You're asking someone who prefer cartoonish looks over realistic on Jaw Harps, of course I love those XD love Rayman too, and those specific music as well. Well, Rayman was a wonder in its music choices anyway.
The geniuses in gaming music to me were always Konami and Manami (who did the Mega Man tracks).
You know, I never heard of that city before. Thanks.

Well, one more thing about the Goemon crew. They have a giant wooden robot friend named Impact (who has a mind of his own), they call him when in need. Here's a recent itteration of one of the most famous Goemon tracks, I'm Impact. Done by the lovely fellows of The 8-Bit Big Band.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot. One of the cool features of Goemon games is that he travels around Japan :)

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not sure about Snake, but I'd argue Sonic has huge history with Nintendo. Wasn't Sonic vs Mario (Sega vs Nintendo) the craze back in the day, with their two most popular IPs pitted against each other by gamers?
Sonic's entire existence is thanks to Mario. Sega put their version of Miyamoto to the task of creating an anti-Mario, and the two fanbases birthed the first real "console war".

Then, when Sega went third party, the very first company they spoke with to continue Sonic games was Nintendo. The Gamecube got Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure DX, then the GBA got Sonic Advance 1-3, all before Sonic ever came to any other console.

There's a reason they managed to hype people up over an Olympics-themed minigame compilation. Seeing Sonic and Mario together in the same game was the entire appeal. And it worked.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I don't wish death on anyone either, but I have no idea why we're talking about this.
Another user here had said that one of the composers for DQ music was a holocaust denier and they were saying they were "thankfully" close to death and that DQ characters would hopefully not happen before they die so they wouldnt get profit form that music work they did.

StormC

Smash Hero
There's a reason they managed to hype people up over an Olympics-themed minigame compilation. Seeing Sonic and Mario together in the same game was the entire appeal. And it worked.
Although it was because Sonic was added very late to Brawl, I wish they showed him in Brawl first before the Olympics game. It took away some of the "wow" factor when we already saw Mario and Sonic meet for the first time jumping over hurdles.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Sonic's entire existence is thanks to Mario. Sega put their version of Miyamoto to the task of creating an anti-Mario, and the two fanbases birthed the first real "console war".

Then, when Sega went third party, the very first company they spoke with to continue Sonic games was Nintendo. The Gamecube got Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure DX, then the GBA got Sonic Advance 1-3, all before Sonic ever came to any other console.

Why did Sega go third-party and when did it happen? It's not something I've thought about too much, but I'm a little curious now.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I agree

For me, 3rd parties shouldn't be these nobodies who only a really, really small fraction of people know. The 3rd parties I want are usually from major gaming franchises with a long history.

It's partially the reason why i'm not looking forward to most indie characters tbh.
I can kinda agree, that's why I want Sora most..he's pretty well known even to non-KH, non-RPG fans similarly to Cloud if not as popular.

D

Deleted member

So how many people do you think will declare Ultimate as disappointing once it comes out?

D

Deleted member

Why did Sega go third-party and when did it happen? It's not something I've thought about too much, but I'm a little curious now.
Long story short: they risked too much with the Dreamcast, and they aren’t in an economic situation where they can release a new one.

So how many people do you think will declare Ultimate as disappointing once it comes out?
By not being Melee.

jk

Note: i messed up again.

StormC

Smash Hero
Every console besides the Genesis was an unmitigated disaster, no matter what software it had. They went third party in 2001.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
They went third party because their consoles were failing either through their own stupidity like with the Saturn in the US or the Dreamcast having to deal with the upcoming PS2 at the time that did everything it did and more pretty much

D

Deleted member

The same vocal minority that said BotW and Mario Odyssey were disappointing.

So just GameFAQs and Metacritic review trolls.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It was largely due to mismanagement by Sega. They rushed out the 32x and Saturn and gave neither one much support, not helped by surprise launching the Saturn and making retailers not informed of this surprise launch refuse to stock it. They then suddenly dropped the Saturn in favor of the Dreamcast, killing fan support by thinking they'd just drop another console if it failed instead of trying to support it like Nintendo did for the Wii U.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Katalina thing just proves my theory of how the Smash fanbase will always move around goalposts and defend whatever is in the game and try to justify it but anything not in it isn't "worthy"
"3rd parties need a history with Nintendo to be in. Oh Snake? The guy who most of his games are Sony exclusives? Well, you see, his game started on the NES and he has one GameCube game."
"3rd parties are only gaming icons, Snake was cut because the Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic trio is all that it needs. Oh Ryu? Well, you see, he's a fighting game icon so he can be in."
"3rd parties need a major game on a Nintendo console to be in. Oh Cloud? Well, you see, hus franchise has a deep history with Nintendo."
"3rd parties need to have a deep history with Nintendo to be in, even if that's outside of Nintendo consoles. Oh Bayonetta? You see, she's basically owned by Nintendo actually so she's not reall 3rd party."

Mark my words. Screenshot this. The same people saying Katalina makes no sense will be defending her inclusion if she gets announced.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'll admit, I was one of those who wanted the Grinch leak to be real, mainly because it has characters that would have made people happy, and boy did the Direct do a lot to crush a ton of people's dreams. On the bright side, Ken and Reuben Langdon are as great as ever and Incineroar looks ridiculously animated and fantastic. Obviously, it would have been better to have both "leaks" be real to appease everyone, but alas... I look forward to playing as Max when Ultimate comes out [kappa]

I am fairly confident we will get at least two new third-party characters from unrepped companies. I wouldn't be surprised if Ray Man is one of them given Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo lately. As for Nintendo reps, I can see Marx happen over Bandana Waddle Dee. I'd save the latter for Free DLC to bridge a potential Wave 1 Fighter Pack and a Wave 2 Fighter Pack. Kirby fans would have something to look forward to then, and it's plenty deserving of 5 reps me thinks.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Doesn't really matter who's DLC, roster's already a 10/10.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to get Home Run Contest.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"3rd parties need a history with Nintendo to be in. Oh Snake? The guy who most of his games are Sony exclusives? Well, you see, his game started on the NES and he has one GameCube game."
no the **** it did not

D

Deleted member

The Katalina thing just proves my theory of how the Smash fanbase will always move around goalposts and defend whatever is in the game and try to justify it but anything not in it isn't "worthy"
"3rd parties are only gaming icons, Snake was cut because the Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic trio is all that it needs. Oh Ryu? Well, you see, he's a fighting game icon so he can be in."
"3rd parties need a major game on a Nintendo console to be in. Oh Cloud? Well, you see, hus franchise has a deep history with Nintendo."
"3rd parties need to have a deep history with Nintendo to be in, even if that's outside of Nintendo consoles. Oh Bayonetta? You see, she's basically owned by Nintendo actually so she's not reall 3rd party."

Mark my words. Screenshot this. The same people saying Katalina makes no sense will be defending her inclusion if she gets announced.
Trust me, i will defend everyone except Madden Player.

That asshole won’t get over Crash, Pitfall or Spyro as the Activision rep.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Well..Sakurai did say being a Gaming Icon is something he prefers for 3rd Party reps.

D

Deleted member

A series of poor business decisions from Sega of Japan and toxic relations with their western branches inevitably led to their consoles failing after the Megadrive. Sony eventually pushed them out of the console market with the PS1 and PS2. The Dreamcast was their final console.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh Ryu? Well, you see, he's a fighting game icon so he can be in."
I get your point, but Ryu is literally Mr. Fighting Game.
He represents the entire friggin genre.
Yeah, he's kinda legendary

He's, by and large, a gaming icon, and quite a large one at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom